PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst dives in a Palace match

Gosling
21-06-2015, 08:57 PM
What was the worst dive you can remember someone doing against us? And the best one you can remember from a Palace player?

I'm sure I remember Robbie Savage acting the twat against us for Derby County.

Pint of Speroni
21-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Bolasie did one this year that was pathetic, can't remember who it was against but he seemed to knock the ball past a player and was half way past when he realised it was going out for throw in so he fell over to try to get the free kick. Embarrassing.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
21-06-2015, 09:05 PM
Aren't they the same thing? Most memorable one is Tommy Blacks against Walsall. Was a horribly frustrating game where we never looked like scoring and it seemed our play off hopes were about to die until tuberculosis took a fake tumble.

Wolfnipplechips
21-06-2015, 09:09 PM
No such thing as a good dive. Ruining the game in my opinion.

eagle-leg
21-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Worst dive for or against Palace - Tommy Black to win a penalty versus Walsall.

Shipp Ahoy!
21-06-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm going to go for best dive being AJ doing a swan dive in celebration when he scored just after there'd been some big thing made about him diving, I think maybe against West Brom?

maestro
21-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I sure I remember a palace player doing a star jump dive a few years ago.

Palestinian
21-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Joonas Kolkka diving to mimic Milan Baros appalling diving at Anfield in 2004 - got him Kolkka a yellow for dissent though.

Pistol Knight
21-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Paul & Ben trying to dive out of the way of seats at Watford away :D:D

Latvian
21-06-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm going to go for best dive being AJ doing a swan dive in celebration when he scored just after there'd been some big thing made about him diving, I think maybe against West Brom?

It was Norwich, they were waving pink cards at him...

Gosling
21-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Joonas Kolkka diving to mimic Milan Baros appalling diving at Anfield in 2004 - got him Kolkka a yellow for dissent though.

Ah, good shout!

Gosling
21-06-2015, 10:20 PM

I do agree, really. But there is definitely a large part of me which enjoys it when one of ours makes a mug of the ref. Of course, I will also spit heinous, hateful filth at any opponent who dares to try any of that crap on. Hypocrisy? Guilty as charged. And it may be part of what is ruining the game, but it's not the whole story. Football is pretty screwed anyway. I'm not going to feel guilty about my part in the downfall of world football. I don't even consider myself a football fan - I'm a Palace fan. I'm partisan, and that's alright with me. :)

Wibble Wobble
21-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Haha I remember that!
wVRxBQUUBsA

ExiledStirling
21-06-2015, 11:06 PM
In the infamous Cantana game, Salako did a comical and unconvincing dive in the box only for us to score a second later anyway (Southgate?), therefore saving his embarrassment.

Jim Cannon
21-06-2015, 11:09 PM
I seem to recall Graeme le Saux doing a dive impression at selhurst in front of the ref indicating he thought a Palace player had dived. This was when he was very young and it was not yet clear how dirty he was. Zenith Cup match IIRC

Jonboy
22-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Sasa Curcic to win a penalty in front of the Holmesdale. The away fans went mental.

tonyc73
22-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Without a doubt, Sasa. Proper maverick

Dorking .Eagle
22-06-2015, 05:06 AM
Sasa Curcic home v Watford sprang to mind for me too.

cpfc4evandeva
22-06-2015, 05:30 AM
Aren't they the same thing? Most memorable one is Tommy Blacks against Walsall. Was a horribly frustrating game where we never looked like scoring and it seemed our play off hopes were about to die until tuberculosis took a fake tumble.

The greatest autocorrect I ever did see :)

But yeah Tommy Black against Walsall: Get the ball on the edge of the area. Kick it in front of you and just run into an opposing player then fall over.

Football is the biggest 'what if' game ever surely.

TheMexicanHorse
22-06-2015, 05:44 AM
Most of a certain Andy Johnson's to be fair.

Phil's Barber
22-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Black v Walsall 17.4.2004. Epic.

prizesucker
22-06-2015, 07:34 AM
against us? Darren Huckerby in any match

For us? MacArthur vs Stoke was pretty bad

Sydenham Eagle
22-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Torghelle at QPR if I remember correctly. The nearest defender was in the next county!

cantspell
22-06-2015, 08:16 AM
For us? MacArthur vs Stoke was pretty bad
Not in the same league as Black's v Wallsall

Latvian
22-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Not in the same league as Black's v Wallsall

Didn't it lead to their relegation? We robbed them that day.

cantspell
22-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Didn't it lead to their relegation? We robbed them that day.

It did and they were robbed - we also needed the win

ExiledStirling
22-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Most of a certain Andy Johnson's to be fair.
Absolute rubbish, but it was this sort of talk from opposition managers leading up to games against them that resulted in penalties given to us totally dry up.

We had a number of blatant ones that should have been given, but weren't which had a major bearing in our relegation in 2005.

FYI Frank McClintock on Sky, looked at all the 9 pens AJ won in that season (think it was 9). 8 of them he said were clear penalties and the other he was unsure about.

When you run at pace as AJ did, it does not take much of a knock to send you tumbling.

Webb
22-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Sasa Curcic to win a penalty in front of the Holmesdale. The away fans went mental.

That's the one that stands out for me! 1999 or so? I think I was sat somewhere in the first three rows of block C - perfect view of it! Outrageously bad.

ExiledStirling
22-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Worst dive for or against Palace - Tommy Black to win a penalty versus Walsall.
I was right behind the goal and could not believe it when the ref pointed to the spot. Obviously AJ saw the injustice and allowed the goalie to save it, but it was a pathetic one, so cannot blame him for sticking the rebound into the net.

I drove to a party in the West Midlands after the game. The majority there were Walsall fans. I claimed it was a soft but justified penalty award to anyone who asked :)

MasterYoda
22-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Shefki Kuqi after a goal.....

Tommy Black's was memorable - I was practically front row when he went over and it wasn't good. Not sure if it was a dive even now but AJ vs saints when he rolled over on his head getting paint on it. If it was a dive it was near suicidal.

davech
22-06-2015, 09:40 AM
Going back a bit, but one that sticks in my mind was Andy Gray at home v Portsmouth in the FA Cup 3rd Round in 1990. An outrageous swallow dive to win a last minute penalty. Portsmouth were more than tad miffed :D. I was standing right behind it. I remember turning to my mate and saying "After that, I reckon this year has got to be our year!"

cpfc4evandeva
22-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Shefki Kuqi after a goal.....

Tommy Black's was memorable - I was practically front row when he went over and it wasn't good. Not sure if it was a dive even now but AJ vs saints when he rolled over on his head getting paint on it. If it was a dive it was near suicidal.

I think that was Norwich and I'm pretty sure it was dive.

If it was the Norwich game though, that was also the game where we should have had about 3 penalties before it. Including one their defenders (Safri?) playing volleyball on the line. Should have been a red and a penalty.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
22-06-2015, 10:28 AM
As ever with AJ, there was one incident I vaguely remember in which he was most likely caught, but due to a mixture of his speed and desire to 'make sure' his face ended up getting planted straight into the turf. Was it against Norwich?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
22-06-2015, 10:33 AM
As ever with AJ, there was one incident I vaguely remember in which he was most likely caught, but due to a mixture of his speed and desire to 'make sure' his face ended up getting planted straight into the turf. Was it against Norwich?

Obviously, I didn't see the post just above mine........!

Ogmios
22-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Jeorme Thomas away at Swansea in the last minute at 1-1, had the ball in the box and could have forced a shot or found a pass, but knocked it past the defender and threw himself to the floor.

MasterYoda
22-06-2015, 10:36 AM
I think that was Norwich and I'm pretty sure it was dive.

If it was the Norwich game though, that was also the game where we should have had about 3 penalties before it. Including one their defenders (Safri?) playing volleyball on the line. Should have been a red and a penalty.

yup - you're right - it was Norwich.

Shamone
22-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Sasa'a against Watford. Immense dive

Essexeagle
22-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Nothing was as blatant (or important) as Tommy Black's dive vs Walsall. I was in the Holmesdale Upper at the time. When he went down I thought he was going to get booked or diving. It was incredible when the ref pointed to the spot. I don't think anyone in the crowd shouted for it.

Big Fella
22-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Shane Long. Every time he plays us.

Pretty sure Will Buckley swan dived when we beat them 3-0?

Woosie
22-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Jerome Thomas at Swansea was pretty bad

Benzhiyi
22-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Huckerby one year at Carrow Road. Was running shoulder to shoulder with Curtis Fleming and you knew as soon as he reached the box he was throwing himself to the floor. Sure enough, the instant he crossed the 18 year line a sniper bullet ripped through the calves of both legs and he catapulted himself to the floor as if attacking a paradise isle flume ride. Every part of it was so ridiculous that any normal human being would have recoiled in rib-damaging laughter. But no, the ref wasn't a normal human being. The referee awarded a penalty.

Typical Palace
28-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Sasa Curcic home v Watford sprang to mind for me too.

Yes, me too. Very circumspect 'celebrations' from me. Was very uncomfortable that such blatant cheating had come from a Palace player. I don't remember anything as clear cut as that before. Not at all fond of Madcap Curcic, partly as a result of this cheating.

Can't remember the score at the time, or at the end.

Typical Palace
28-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Huckerby one year at Carrow Road. Was running shoulder to shoulder with Curtis Fleming and you knew as soon as he reached the box he was throwing himself to the floor. Sure enough, the instant he crossed the 18 year line a sniper bullet ripped through the calves of both legs and he catapulted himself to the floor as if attacking a paradise isle flume ride. Every part of it was so ridiculous that any normal human being would have recoiled in rib-damaging laughter. But no, the ref wasn't a normal human being. The referee awarded a penalty.

Huckerby was serially guilty. It was ironic the stick they gave AJ considering Diving Darren.

Typical Palace
28-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Jeorme Thomas away at Swansea in the last minute at 1-1, had the ball in the box and could have forced a shot or found a pass, but knocked it past the defender and threw himself to the floor.
He's barely appeared since then has he?

Edit: Only appeared once more that season the next week in a defeat by Soton, and only three times last season; Walsall, Dover and in a bizarre piece of desperate management by Warnock, he came on in our 3-0 defeat at Man City.

Not one of our better signings.

Golf Boy
28-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Mcgoldrick.

postman plod
28-06-2015, 06:49 PM
Super Vince Hillaire Vs Notts County 1979 Selhurst Park.
Shocking Dive, that would have made Tom Daley proud.

knowlesyUCLA
14-07-2015, 06:50 PM
The aforementioned Tommy Black penalty was as important to both sides as it was shameless.

I remember Paul Merson went absolutely ******* mental, anger the likes of which only those shopkeepers who had sold out of Special Brew in the West Midlands ever saw from him.

Compounded by the fact that AJ missed it, tucked it away, relegated them, put us in the playoffs for the first time all season, and we then nearly ****ed it up anyway at Coventry.

3 weeks later we are promoted.

That gets my vote.

Maidstoned Eagle
15-07-2015, 04:49 PM
The Curcic one sticks in my mind because most of blocks a, b and c of the homesdale started chanting "Sasa, Sasa" and making diving movements with their arms....me included. :)

OLD BASING EAGLE
19-07-2015, 09:29 PM
The Curcic one sticks in my mind because most of blocks a, b and c of the homesdale started chanting "Sasa, Sasa" and making diving movements with their arms....me included. :)

I remember that, it was a truly awful dive, I think some of our players were embarrassed by it. The away supporters were fuming.

DARZET EAGLE
19-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Diving is the worst form of gamesmanship. Ref's need to clamp down hard this season with red cards.

Nork1
19-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Diving is the worst form of gamesmanship. Ref's need to clamp down hard this season with red cards.

But they won't. They never do.

Eaglesfan1
20-07-2015, 06:30 AM
But they won't. They never do.
Unfair to blame the refs in this instance when the laws clearly state that simulation is a cautionable and not a sending off offence

Twilko
20-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Unfair to blame the refs in this instance when the laws clearly state that simulation is a cautionable and not a sending off offence

Unless it's a second cautionable offence, surely? You see plenty of yellows for diving, but how often do you see a second yellow?

chelmsfordeagle
20-07-2015, 06:56 AM

totally agree. Of the many changes to football iŽd like to see, a panel looking at matches on video after they are played and dishing out 5 game bans for each dive would be my first choice change. It would reduce the number of dives to a minimum in a month.

Ardent Eagle Forever
20-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Eddie McGoldrick was the best at winning free-kicks and penalties. he used to run into defenders and bounce off them. Generally got the kick.

Ardent Eagle Forever
20-07-2015, 07:03 AM
Absolute rubbish, but it was this sort of talk from opposition managers leading up to games against them that resulted in penalties given to us totally dry up.

We had a number of blatant ones that should have been given, but weren't which had a major bearing in our relegation in 2005.

FYI Frank McClintock on Sky, looked at all the 9 pens AJ won in that season (think it was 9). 8 of them he said were clear penalties and the other he was unsure about.

When you run at pace as AJ did, it does not take much of a knock to send you tumbling.

Agree with this. most of AJ's penalties occurred when his foot or ankle was clipped when running at pace. Potato head started the myth of AJ diving.

Ardent Eagle Forever
20-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Marouanne Chamakh at Southampton the season before last also springs to mind.

Latvian
20-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Grrr... thanks for reminding me. I think that may be the season that they were rebuilding the away stand and we were given an allocation of 200 to stand right by the pitch. We were joking with Edworthy having skinned two of our players and put in a great cross came a shout of "you never did that for us Edworthy!"

and then when Huckerby was near us got the following dialogue:

Bloke behind: "Darren, stop being a diving cheat"
"I am sorry but we need to win"
"But it makes you look like such a ****"
"I can't help it"
"The diving or being a c**t?"

:-D