PDA

View Full Version : Football Ashes Series

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Why won't you poms play us in a Football Ashes Series.
Sure, you'll give us a good rodgering for the first 5 years. But, are you scared you'll get pumped like we do to you in any other sport.
Give us a chance.
I can handle losing for 5-10 years, if it means beating you at another sport.

Do any of you poms support this?

muffdaddy
22-08-2002, 06:09 PM
Gimme a break. You Aussies get so jingoistic when it comes to any sport. Even when you are truly pants at it. Scared my a***. If we want poor opposition, we'd probably rather have an annual England-Scotland game instead. Who knows in another 8 years you might even qualify for the World Cup. In the meantime I think Palace could probably beat an Oz national team.

Aussie Eagle
22-08-2002, 06:11 PM
Considering you know nothing about the game here, why don't you shut up? :veryangry

Bartman
22-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh, a stereotypical Aussie. How nice to have you on the boards. I suppose now you're going to tell us how rubbish our country is, then the weather, then go on to slate our sports teams, all the while you are earning great coin over here to take back to Australia and buy yourself a nice big house.

We'd thrash you at football, all day every day, and we always will. There isn't enough time in the footballing calendar to take out a month to go through the motions of beating a sub-standard team. Come back to me when your team have actually achieved something and there would be any point in playing you.

Get the message?

GOD
22-08-2002, 06:16 PM
Why don't you play us a sports We are good at like Football, Snooker, Darts, errr... Curling (as long as we are Britain) and Subbuteo

See your not so hard now are you? Come on I'll take you all on ;)

GOD
22-08-2002, 06:18 PM
p.s the Pub next door to me called The Beehive is advertising for staff it you're interested :p

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 06:18 PM
England would struggle to qualify for the world cup as well, if they had to go through the South American pool.
If the qualifying wasnt so damn rigged we'd maybe have a chance.
Why should we have to play South American teams to qualify for the world cup?
Geographically prejudice is FIFA.

Tony ,, Tony Who ? POPOVIC !!

Eagle Kneevil
22-08-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by GOD
Why don't you play us a sports We are good at like ......Darts

Err.....the current Embassy World Darts Champion is Tony David......an Aussie.

Cleon
22-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Aussie Fieldy

Yeah, and that's precisely why you would get a beating.

Don't go bleating about the South American qualifiers, the European qualifying system is about the most difficult to get through. For the 1998 world cup you only had to beat Iran, so you've got nobody to blame but yourselves.

Now, I wonder how you'll cope when you lose the real ashes this winter.

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 06:36 PM
Back to the original question.
I agree you'd spank us for a good 5-10 years.
But in every off year where theres no Euro or World Cup, it would make for a good months football, and extend a great rivalry.
So from the responses on here, you poms have no legitimate excuse not to have it, and if you don't want it, your a pack of soft-cocks.

Bartman
22-08-2002, 06:40 PM
THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE FOOTBALLING CALENDAR FOR OUR NATIONAL FOOTBALL TEAM TO DEDICATE A SERIES OF GAMES AGAINST A SUB-STANDARD SIDE.

WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO MAKE IT CLEARER FOR YOU.

AND IT'S POPOVIC, NOT POPAVIC, YOU PILLOCK.

brighton_eagle
22-08-2002, 06:44 PM
Why not?

Because you are crap thats why.

thanks. :)

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 07:47 PM
Brighton Eagle.
Your a wannabee aussie, who hangs at the walkabout trying to pull birds by trying to be an aussie, try hard!

brighton_eagle
22-08-2002, 07:48 PM
thats right....of course....well done. :)

Daniel_Nash
22-08-2002, 07:54 PM
There isn't enough time in the busy English season to send a team across the world for a few games and then return. They are trying to introduce a winter break to rest the players, but that would probably result in a fixture pile up and an Ashes series wouldn't do any favours for that either.

It's not like cricket, where you can play half the season in England with reasonable weather and then spend the winter in hot places. Football is played all year round, especially if it is a World Cup or European Championship year.

You'd be better off having the competition in England anyway as the majority of the top Aussie players are in Europe.

Yes, Australia would get spanked for a few years and then a few more, and they might improve. It'd certainly make a difference to the Solomon Islands, Tahiti and then Uruguay or someone to decide if there are 4 South American sides or 1 Oceania team in the WC.

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 08:20 PM
But even so, in an off euro or world cup year, the summer break is Winter in australia, perfect for football.
3 matches, would take two weeks, no more.
You're all full of excuses.
I know it will never happen, but only because you english people are wimps.

2 weeks every 3 years. Sure you're too busy.!
What pathetic excuses.
No wonder your not world champions, you're not HUNGRY enough!

Daniel_Nash
22-08-2002, 08:22 PM
But even so, in an off euro or world cup year, the summer break is Winter in australia, perfect for football.
3 matches, would take two weeks, no more.
You're all full of excuses.
I know it will never happen, but only because you english people are wimps.

2 weeks every 3 years. Sure you're too busy.!
What pathetic excuses.
No wonder your not world champions, you're not HUNGRY enough!

Says you about a team who can't get Kewell and Viduka to make the trip from sunny Leeds to Australia for qualifiers. Talk about hunger!

brighton_eagle
22-08-2002, 08:23 PM
seriously. Some reasons why not:

1) we would always win it.
2) some of the bigger clubs here already want a winter break. They won't be happy about a nothing tournament with a third world footballing nation.
3) we would always win it.

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 08:30 PM
For a crack at your mob, Viduka and Kewell would be available.
Its your clubs that would stop it.

Sure, you'd use a muppet team of reserves the first time, but then you'd become serious, when we punish you for your lack of seriousness.

for any queries..refer to the quote below.

Daniel_Nash
22-08-2002, 08:31 PM
For a crack at your mob, Viduka and Kewell would be available.
Its your clubs that would stop it.

Sure, you'd use a muppet team of reserves the first time, but then you'd become serious, when we punish you for your lack of seriousness.

for any queries..refer to the quote below.

Well then, if you're serious about the idea... go to www.thefa.com and write to them!

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 09:43 PM
i'll do that, and post their piss week response onto this board.

bucketbongeagle
22-08-2002, 09:54 PM
England would struggle to qualify for the world cup as well, if they had to go through the South American pool.
If the qualifying wasnt so damn rigged we'd maybe have a chance.
Why should we have to play South American teams to qualify for the world cup?
Geographically prejudice is FIFA.

Yeah because Europe's a piece of p!ss to qualify from, no qualities team over here at all.
Bloody whinging Aussies.

Aussie Fieldy
22-08-2002, 09:57 PM
Greece? Easybeats!
Germany..nice win.

You had any easy run!

Justy C
23-08-2002, 01:41 AM
Its been a long time since England played Australia, it would be an interesting game but a comfortable win for England. If the game would happen, it would have to be over here, English players aint gonna go to you.

pete eagle
23-08-2002, 01:51 AM
come on, why should Fifa give a place to the oceania area when all Australia have to do is beat Fiji and American Samoa.
We are a better side than you, there is no reason for us to play you in an Ashes type series. If we did then it would mean extra matches for our players which is exactly what they don't need at this moment.

sydney eagle
23-08-2002, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Eagle
Considering you know nothing about the game here, why don't you shut up? :veryangry I DO know about the game here and it is complete and utter SH*TE,The national league is like pub football at it's best.Take out Kewell/Fatso Viduka and probably Emerton out of the National team and it is a quite woeful side who play boring hoofball.

sydney eagle
23-08-2002, 02:02 AM
Why won't you poms play us in a Football Ashes Series.
Sure, you'll give us a good rodgering for the first 5 years. But, are you scared you'll get pumped like we do to you in any other sport.
Give us a chance.
I can handle losing for 5-10 years, if it means beating you at another sport.

Do any of you poms support this? I didn't know OzEagle had a brother on the BBS :D:D:D

:cool:

Steve C
23-08-2002, 02:10 AM
How can so many big-headed, overbearing, loud mouthed, toss-pots come out of one country. You have a wonderful country and your still not happy,it,s no wonder the wildlife spends all it,s time trying to eat you all, becuse they want to shup you up!!!!.:grrr:

sydney eagle
23-08-2002, 02:20 AM
Greece? Easybeats!
Germany..nice win.

You had any easy run! Tahiti/American Samoa/New Zealand/Cook Islands/Fiji

Fecking Hard run that eh?:rolleyes: :clown:

Skid Row
23-08-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by sydney eagle
I didn't know OzEagle had a brother on the BBS :D:D:D
Exactly what I was thinking reading the thread. :D

The fact that he is a Collingwood supporter says it all really, no brain whatsoever. You're an embarressment.

pete eagle
23-08-2002, 03:01 AM
anyway we keep beating you at rugby union;)

sydney eagle
23-08-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Skid Row

The fact that he is a Collingwood supporter says it all really, no brain whatsoever. You're an embarressment. Not being an AFL follower I'll take your word for it skid:p.It must be frustrating for you & people like bunghole and Philaire being tarred with the same brush when a bellend like this says something stupid eh?

philaire
23-08-2002, 03:13 AM
I didn't know OzEagle had a brother on the BBSyes, he makes oz’s comments appear subtle, well considered and cordial by comparison
The fact that he is a Collingwood supporter says it all really, no brain whatsoever. You're an embarrassment. I can’t be too effusive in my endorsement skid, given that Mrs Philaire regrettably is a Collingwood supporter. But the avatar was a bit of a giveaway.

Skid Row
23-08-2002, 03:14 AM
Not being an AFL follower I'll take your word for it skid:p.It must be frustrating for you & people like bunghole and Philaire being tarred with the same brush when a bellend like this says something stupid eh?
Lets just say that Collingwood supporters would make Millwall supporters look like angels. :angel:

We realistic folk cant do anything about the dissenchanted that frequent this board. Atleast they follow Palace I suppose.

I would however like to see an (not five, one) annual game between England and Australia played over there. Would be good to get some rivalry in another sport.

philaire
23-08-2002, 03:17 AM
It must be frustrating for you & people like bunghole and Philaire being tarred with the same brush when a bellend like this says something stupid eh? Couldn't have put it better myself syd. The seeds sown through x hundred theads in modifying the one-dimensional view some poms have about us and our footballing views, undone in a single thread.:rolleyes:

Skid Row
23-08-2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by philaire
yes, he makes oz’s comments appear subtle, well considered and cordial by comparison
:D :D Too true.
I can’t be too effusive in my endorsement skid, given that Mrs Philaire regrettably is a Collingwood supporter.
Sorry to hear that Phil. I shall prey for your soul. :p

philaire
23-08-2002, 03:23 AM
I would however like to see an (not five, one) annual game between England and Australia played over there. Would be good to get some rivalry in another sport. The reality for Australian football is that most of our future friendlies will logically be played in Europe. England plays enough friendlies against opposition that are of a similar standard as Australia, so the idea of a semi-regular meeting has some merit. If you're worried about one-sided contests, remember that Man Utd are playing Birmingham twice this year!

Daniel_Nash
23-08-2002, 03:31 AM
I'd like one of those giant beers please!

Here y'are mate!

Ah, it's pretty big.

Coffee please

Beer?

Coffee!

Beer!

C-O-..

B-E...

sydney eagle
23-08-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Daniel_Nash
I'd like one of those giant beers please!

Here y'are mate!

Ah, it's pretty big.

Coffee please

Beer?

Coffee!

Beer!

C-O-..

B-E... the americans do the WORST Aussie accents ever......highlighted by THAT episode of the Simpsons Daniel:D

Daniel_Nash
23-08-2002, 03:38 AM
the americans do the WORST Aussie accents ever......highlighted by THAT episode of the Simpsons Daniel:D

What episode of the Simpsons?? ;) :confused:

philaire
23-08-2002, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Steve C
How can so many big-headed, overbearing, loud mouthed, toss-pots come out of one country. You have a wonderful country and your still not happy,it,s no wonder the wildlife spends all it,s time trying to eat you allYou see Aussie fieldy? This is a classic example of the response ramblings like yours elicit
becuse they want to shup you up!!!!if we’re toss-pots, then at least we are toss-pots who can spell:rolleyes:

Men At Work
23-08-2002, 03:53 AM
You see Aussie fieldy? This is a classic example of the response ramblings like yours elicit

Hmmm. Someone registers with the BBS and posts 30 messages on their first day which stir up a heap of trouble. I think they have achieved exactly the response they set out to elicit, philaire.

DennisUphill
23-08-2002, 03:55 AM
Oi! Aussie Fieldy come on son you've gone quiet on me. Give 'em some stick back and give me a giggle. You know it makes sense.

philaire
23-08-2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by DennisUphill
Oi! Aussie Fieldy come on son you've gone quiet on me. Give 'em some stick back and give me a giggle. You know it makes sense. Somehow I don't think he needs encouragement Dennis:hmph:

Oisin
23-08-2002, 06:42 AM
I can’t see any merit for the FA in organising regular friendlies against Australia. Their recent policy has been to cut down on the number of friendlies to keep the big clubs happy. It would be worthwhile though for Australia to try and organise regular friendlies in Europe if they could. New Zealand have fixtures coming up against Poland and Estonia and I presume Oz do the same. But the problem remains there is a little motivation to play friendlies against teams you will probably never play competitively who won’t attract large gates.
On Oceania football in general it appears to me that Blatter is putting a lot of focus on this part of the world. The full WC qualification place seems to be in the bag which will surely encourage the popularity of the sport. FIFA are pumping lots of development money into the Pacific islands. Michael Jones, Rugby coach of Samoa, was on telly here the other day complaining that the Samoan FA had more money than the RFU. This is how Blatter gets so many votes in FIFA elections. The game is certainly growing here. When I first visited Sydney just after the 1994 WC interest in football was low. It was considered un-Australian. When I was there in July the sport was everywhere. People wearing football shirts, posters of Brazil even kick abouts in parks.
My girlfriends Dad, a typical Kiwi, used to wind down the window and shout “pick it up” when he saw someone playing football. He now watches it regularily. Driving on a Saturday you see just as much Football being played as Rugby Union and Rugby league. There’re even two Kiwi ManU fans in my office. So football is popularising and growing in the region but probably not at the rate to satisfy Australian fans’ ambitions. However considering the Aussie FA must rank as one of the most incompetent in the world even if the opportunity was there to build there sport I’m sure they’d miss it.

bunghole
23-08-2002, 07:55 AM
Aaaagh, had a REAL BAD feeling when I saw this title on the home page. Most surprised to see who DIDN'T start it when I went to the forum.;)

Methinks the Collingwood link might be a red herring. The use of the word 'muppet' in one of Aussie Fieldy's posts might be a more accurate pointer to who Aussie Fieldy might really be. :D

Not even going to touch the subject.

Philaire - get a divorce! :p

philaire
23-08-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by bunghole
Philaire - get a divorce! :p Wouldn't totally solve the problem, bung. Household split down the middle, with one daughter a Crow, the other a ... Magpie. Hmm...

philaire
23-08-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Oisin
I can’t see any merit for the FA in organising regular friendlies against Australia. It would be worthwhile though for Australia to try and organise regular friendlies in Europe if they could. But the problem remains there is a little motivation to play friendlies against teams you will probably never play competitively who won’t attract large gates. Good post, Oisin. Australia has to take be proactive to get friendlies in Europe on those sanctioned days such as last Wednesday. Only on those dates will there be a chance to get Kewell, Viduka, Emerton etc released. But Soccer Australia is in such a state that it doesn’t appear to have this on the agenda. Which I presume gets back to a financial issue; I concede Australia finds it difficult to draw crowds in Europe.

If that entire premise fails, then the faintly ridiculous notion of concentrating on Australian based players looms. This idea has gained currency probably as a throwback to the period 1966-1986 where the Australian team was a “club squad” of home based players who would regularly tour to get used to playing together. When you consider that Kewell played for Australia in about 2 matches in 3 ½ years between WC qualifying series, then engendering a team spirit is unlikely with Euro-based players.The game is certainly growing here. When I first visited Sydney just after the 1994 WC interest in football was low. It was considered un-Australian. When I was there in July the sport was everywhere. People wearing football shirts, posters of Brazil even kick-abouts in parks.In my time, it has waxed and waned. Grew out of nothing in 1974 with WC qualification and momentum leading to start of the NSL in 1978. Growing disillusionment with WC failures in 1978 and 1982 when qualification was via Asia and easier, and the gloss started to wear off the national league. Another up with noble failure against Scotland in 1985, but with the ongoing prospect of Euro/S American play-offs, the WC seemed a long way away. In Melbourne at least the Iran loss in 1997, although depressing did raise the profile of the game and the national team. The superstar status of Kewell and Viduka contributed to that.

Soccer just about beats AFL and rugby in playing popularity among children, but that’s where it stops. The ineptitude of administration, and the player drain means that no one (except Perth Glory fans) gets excited about the national league. And the xenophobic panic among AFL administrators about soccer eclipsing their game means they will always foster a negative image of soccer, which the media is happy to endorse. S Korea Japan 2002 was just sensational here, with TV coverage in prime time opening the eyes of the great unwashed. If only there was a half competent Soccer Australia, then they could build on it, but the reality is the momentum is quickly dripping away.

bunghole
23-08-2002, 09:02 AM
Wouldn't totally solve the problem, bung. Household split down the middle, with one daughter a Crow, the other a ... Magpie. Hmm...

Might be time to take in a Crow supporting border to gain a clear majority.:cool:

DennisUphill
23-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Boys, I think you're all being too kind to the mob who have been running Oz football for longer than I've been over here. It's not incompetence, it's out and out rorting and nest feathering. If nothing else they have learnt one lesson lately, and that's been to bring Sepp 'Backhander' Blatter out here and be taught by the master.
I hope John Warren gets his wish for Oz football, but in the current climate I think even Mr Warren will end up with egg on his face.

sydney eagle
23-08-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by DennisUphill
I hope John Warren gets his wish for Oz football, but in the current climate I think even Mr Warren will end up with egg on his face. as an aside. I think Johnny Warren has the funniest title of a book ever "Shielas,**** and poofters" based on what guys were called in the 70's in they played football:D

philaire
23-08-2002, 10:12 AM
as an aside. I think Johnny Warren has the funniest title of a book ever "Shielas,**** and poofters" based on what guys were called in the 70's in they played football:D I’m halfway through reading it at the moment syd. Good book, and his heart is generally in the right place. However, he often comes across gloomy and negative (not unlike me in this thread!). The bit I’m on at the moment he’s all morose about not winning back the Socceroo captaincy when he returned from a 12-month layoff due to injury. On SBS he is certainly a knowledgeable pundit, but could hardly be described as effervescent! If I’ve endured Australia’s football woes for 30 years, he’s copped it for probably 50, and I guess it shows!

Steve C
23-08-2002, 11:18 AM
In Aussie Rules Football how are Hawthorn doing this year????

Aussie Eagle
23-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Even if the FA were remotely interested do you think Soccer Australia is competent enough to organise this?:grrr: My point before, which Sydney Eagle replied to, is that if the admin could get its head out of its arse then we could have a half decent team. Soccer admin is sh*t everywhere here, least of all Canberra, where it really is becoming extremely annoying. I don't know why England are so confident, sure your team is full of great players, but you played absolute sh*te at the world cup with the exception of two games. I'm not saying Australia would have done any better (qualifying would have been nice), but face it, you're no Brazil.

Aussie Eagle
23-08-2002, 05:34 PM
And of course we're going to stick up for our team, you wouldn't be to happy if I came on here saying you invented all these sports which you are now utter sh*te at.

Aussie Eagle
23-08-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by GOD
p.s the Pub next door to me called The Beehive is advertising for staff it you're interested :p

There's a place at Woomera Refugee Camp waiting! :rolleyes: That's the only place you're going to go if you come over here.

Aussie Fieldy
23-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Hawthorn got done by north tonight.
Eddie McGuire has recently dipped his finger into the pie of Australian Soccer, so things are about to change.

So will you poms settle for 1 game every three years, rather than a series.

Collingwood!
A mighty Club if ever there was one.
I dont see palace cramming 60,000 through the gates week in, week out.
Can't even fill 25,000.
But i can't complain, as i'll be in the holmesdale most home games.

Latvian
23-08-2002, 06:44 PM

YES MORE ARGIE WHIPPING :D

Aussie Fieldy
23-08-2002, 06:47 PM
If england were a premier league they'd be Tottenham.

Realistically know yourselves you aint gonna win sh#t, but still think you're a mighty team.
As i said earlier, you'd beat us easily for 5-10 years. But after that, the aussies will adopt their usual mentality and think, PPhhh ! England! We're not gonna lose to those tossers.
I hate to burst your bubble, but England are rank on a world scale.
When your all sitting with your fat beer guts at the pub in twenty years, you'll be cursing another sport that the aussies beat you at.

And you all know it!!

le piddler
23-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Muppet, why don't you do us all a favour & f**k off back to Oz??? We'll have all the decent Aussie posters like men at work,Philaire & Skid Row etc. You & your pathetic obsession about beating England is getting rather boring now...............

pete eagle
23-08-2002, 10:40 PM
If england were a premier league they'd be Tottenham.

Realistically know yourselves you aint gonna win sh#t, but still think you're a mighty team.
As i said earlier, you'd beat us easily for 5-10 years. But after that, the aussies will adopt their usual mentality and think, PPhhh ! England! We're not gonna lose to those tossers.
I hate to burst your bubble, but England are rank on a world scale.
When your all sitting with your fat beer guts at the pub in twenty years, you'll be cursing another sport that the aussies beat you at.

And you all know it!!

you have insecurity problems don't you

Men At Work
24-08-2002, 12:41 AM
Collingwood!
A mighty Club if ever there was one.
I dont see palace cramming 60,000 through the gates week in, week out.

They only get those crowds because there's sod all else to do in Melbourne ;)

Aussie Fieldy
12-09-2002, 06:45 PM
it looks like the FA proved this week why?
England will never win another world cup.

"Whoooaa livin on past glories"

Oz_da_Eagle
12-09-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Yeah, and that's precisely why you would get a beating.

Don't go bleating about the South American qualifiers, the European qualifying system is about the most difficult to get through. For the 1998 world cup you only had to beat Iran, so you've got nobody to blame but yourselves.

Now, I wonder how you'll cope when you lose the real ashes this winter.

I always blamed El Tel for that Iran game

Aussie Fieldy
12-09-2002, 06:50 PM
my sentiments exactly.
good to see another lovely emblem on here.
Go those dockers!!

sydney eagle
13-09-2002, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Oz_da_Eagle
I always blamed El Tel for that Iran game Sorry,but you'd think 11 INTERNATIONAL players could work out for themselves to be more defence minded when you are 2-0 up right at the end of a game of such importance,right??? I didn't see TV on the field defending like a sunday league player,did you? but the Aussie defenders I saw doing that,leaving HUGE gaps down the centre of the park,letting the iranians do what they pleased...The aussies paniked,end of story

Twyford Bee
16-09-2002, 03:24 AM
Put simply, there's nothing so unique about the challenge that Australia pose that it would be worth playing them regularly, if we want to play a country of similar standard there's plenty in Europe, no 24 hour plane journeys or anything. The fiasco caused by the one-off Australia vs France friendly last November surely proves this.

The person who started this topic seems to think that Australians have a god-given right to be good at everything. Sorry but we're not scared of the challenge. We don't play ANYONE on a regular fixed basis in friendly matches, is it because we're not hungry enough? Of course it isn't.

"If the qualifying wasnt so damn rigged we'd maybe have a chance."

Yes, it's "rigged" to be representitive of where the footballing powers of the world lie. If you don't like it, go and win the World Cup, they'll have to change it then.

When FIFA had a referendum on whether Oceania should become its own federation as opposed to remaining part of Asia, every single country on earth voted in favour of the formation of Oceania EXCEPT AUSTRALIA, whose easy route through the Asian tournament would suddenly be lost. Yes your place in the finals always rests entirely on one 2 legged play-off, but that's the way knockout tournaments work. If you ever make it to the last 16, it's all down to one game then. Is that "rigged" against you as well?

Twyford Bee
16-09-2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Eagle Kneevil
Err.....the current Embassy World Darts Champion is Tony David......an Aussie.

But the 10 times Skol World Championship winner, and probably the best darts player of all time, is Phil Taylor, a Brit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1740000/images/_1744645_taylor300.jpg

Aussie Fieldy
16-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Twyford Bee
Put simply, there's nothing so unique about the challenge that Australia pose that it would be worth playing them regularly, if we want to play a country of similar standard there's plenty in Europe, no 24 hour plane journeys or anything. The fiasco caused by the one-off Australia vs France friendly last November surely proves this.

The person who started this topic seems to think that Australians have a god-given right to be good at everything. Sorry but we're not scared of the challenge. We don't play ANYONE on a regular fixed basis in friendly matches, is it because we're not hungry enough? Of course it isn't.

"If the qualifying wasnt so damn rigged we'd maybe have a chance."

Yes, it's "rigged" to be representitive of where the footballing powers of the world lie. If you don't like it, go and win the World Cup, they'll have to change it then.

When FIFA had a referendum on whether Oceania should become its own federation as opposed to remaining part of Asia, every single country on earth voted in favour of the formation of Oceania EXCEPT AUSTRALIA, whose easy route through the Asian tournament would suddenly be lost. Yes your place in the finals always rests entirely on one 2 legged play-off, but that's the way knockout tournaments work. If you ever make it to the last 16, it's all down to one game then. Is that "rigged" against you as well?

Bring on the challenge then.
What i'm saying is that. England are by no means, even close to being as good as the English make them out to be, and it would only be a matter of 10 years (will be) until we start beating you regularly. Yes, and it will start in the next world cup. Given that australia is favourite to host the 2010 world cup, they should be strong regulars on a world stage by the next decade, in which we will slowly start to be better than England, at yet another sport.

In reply to your quote ""The person who started this topic seems to think that Australians have a god-given right to be good at everything.""

You are very correct.

DennisUphill
16-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Given that australia is favourite to host the 2010 world cup,
In yer dreams cobbler!

El Aguila
16-09-2002, 03:55 PM
What i'm saying is that. England are by no means, even close to being as good as the English make them out to be, and it would only be a matter of 10 years (will be) until we start beating you regularly. Yes, and it will start in the next world cup. Given that australia is favourite to host the 2010 world cup, they should be strong regulars on a world stage by the next decade, in which we will slowly start to be better than England, at yet another sport.

In reply to your quote ""The person who started this topic seems to think that Australians have a god-given right to be good at everything.""

You are very correct.
Maybe you should get it into your thick head that the British simply are not as obsessed with Australians as you seem to be with the British. England don't play endless friendlies against Scotland and nor do France against Algeria (perhaps because they would lose?). Why on earth would they get involved in an "Ashes" series with a faraway third rate footballing power?

Aussie Fieldy
16-09-2002, 03:56 PM
cobbler you say.
dont you mean cobber?
are you looking fwd to your holiday in tenerife? or perhaps ibiza?

sydney eagle
16-09-2002, 06:08 PM

You are very correct. and you are a complete ****

Aussie Fieldy
16-09-2002, 06:11 PM
is that 4 stars or 4 x's?
if the latter.
no i dont like xxxx
bad beer.
did someone say beer.

mmmmmmmm beer.

philaire
17-09-2002, 06:31 PM
When FIFA had a referendum on whether Oceania should become its own federation as opposed to remaining part of Asia, every single country on earth voted in favour of the formation of Oceania EXCEPT AUSTRALIA, whose easy route through the Asian tournament would suddenly be lost. Yes your place in the finals always rests entirely on one 2 legged play-off, but that's the way knockout tournaments work. If you ever make it to the last 16, it's all down to one game then. Is that "rigged" against you as well? Let me state up front I disagree with about 95% of Aussie Fieldy’s sentiments, but I can’t let you get away with this tripe, Twyford.

At the risk of re-hashing arguments I’ve probably placed 20 times on this board in the past, Australia is disadvantaged because in Oceania it is not afforded the chance of a decent qualifying tournament. Playing games against the Pacific minnows is a waste of time and (little) effort. Even worse, because we don’t ask the likes of Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer etc over for these games (the team which edged American Samoa 31-0 was somewhere between a 2nd XI and 3rd XI), then Australia’s best XI never gets to learn to play with each other. Until the France friendly, Kewell’s only stint for the national team was half a game in the win over Hungary some 2 or 3 years prior. We threw together our best team for the France game, and then it was straight into the do or die stakes against Uruguay – a team that has faced a gruelling 18-game qualifying tournament, hence had a group of players that knew a little about playing with each other. We’ve seen the benefits of a so-called “club” squad at national level with South Korea’s stunning success. Australia has no chance to achieve it. Even when we organise games in Europe against decent opposition, the likes of Leeds and M’boro will always dismiss them as “meaningless” friendlies and usually invent injuries for Kewell & co.

Asia strongly resists Australia’s re-entry to that zone because the Aussies represent a threat to Asia’s cherished WC places. The notion that this represents an easy path for Australia is dubious, given the strength of South Korea and Japan, notwithstanding the Middle Eastern countries. But it would give the Aussies the chance to gets its act together at an international level. The rest of the FIFA world really doesn’t care for Australia’s argument. They would rather “nobly” support and affirm the rising “talents” of the likes of American Samoa, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, condemning Australian football to a depressing future.

Aussie Fieldy
17-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Let me state up front I disagree with about 95% of Aussie Fieldy’s sentiments, but I can’t let you get away with this tripe, Twyford.

At the risk of re-hashing arguments I’ve probably placed 20 times on this board in the past, Australia is disadvantaged because in Oceania it is not afforded the chance of a decent qualifying tournament. Playing games against the Pacific minnows is a waste of time and (little) effort. Even worse, because we don’t ask the likes of Kewell, Viduka, Schwarzer etc over for these games (the team which edged American Samoa 31-0 was somewhere between a 2nd XI and 3rd XI), then Australia’s best XI never gets to learn to play with each other. Until the France friendly, Kewell’s only stint for the national team was half a game in the win over Hungary some 2 or 3 years prior. We threw together our best team for the France game, and then it was straight into the do or die stakes against Uruguay – a team that has faced a gruelling 18-game qualifying tournament, hence had a group of players that knew a little about playing with each other. We’ve seen the benefits of a so-called “club” squad at national level with South Korea’s stunning success. Australia has no chance to achieve it. Even when we organise games in Europe against decent opposition, the likes of Leeds and M’boro will always dismiss them as “meaningless” friendlies and usually invent injuries for Kewell & co.

Asia strongly resists Australia’s re-entry to that zone because the Aussies represent a threat to Asia’s cherished WC places. The notion that this represents an easy path for Australia is dubious, given the strength of South Korea and Japan, notwithstanding the Middle Eastern countries. But it would give the Aussies the chance to gets its act together at an international level. The rest of the FIFA world really doesn’t care for Australia’s argument. They would rather “nobly” support and affirm the rising “talents” of the likes of American Samoa, Cook Islands, Solomon Islands, condemning Australian football to a depressing future.

i hear ya mate.
something has to be done.
but what?

Oisin
19-09-2002, 10:42 AM
This thread still going?

Oceania have the same problem that CONCAF does – a lot of teams not much quality. I suggest a eight team competition involving three Oceania and five Concaf teams excluding the European based players could be held on a semi-regular basis.

No its not an ideal solution to anything but it would mean Australia would play opposition of a better standard more often. It’s the sort of measure they could take if they were more proactive.

As for Australia beating England regularly in ten years time that’s not going to ever happen unless (as philaire suggests) developing the game is taken seriously.

On a related note I saw the headquarters of the Oceania Confederation on Sunday. It’s by Erickson stadium.

Aussie Fieldy
19-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Oisin
This thread still going?

Oceania have the same problem that CONCAF does – a lot of teams not much quality. I suggest a eight team competition involving three Oceania and five Concaf teams excluding the European based players could be held on a semi-regular basis.

No its not an ideal solution to anything but it would mean Australia would play opposition of a better standard more often. It’s the sort of measure they could take if they were more proactive.

As for Australia beating England regularly in ten years time that’s not going to ever happen unless (as philaire suggests) developing the game is taken seriously.

On a related note I saw the headquarters of the Oceania Confederation on Sunday. It’s by Erickson stadium.

i guess when you have teams like Sth Melbourne Vs Preston.
The league and game for that matter doesnt have much of a chance of gettign anywhere.

Skid Row
16-10-2002, 11:49 AM
Well, well, well. Aussie Fieldy, your dream may soon be a reality (of sorts).

Eriksson is conscious of the fact that, as things stand, England will not join up again until mid-February - when they are earmarked to play either Denmark or Australia in a home friendly - after Wednesday's European Championship qualifier with Macedonia at the St Mary's Stadium.

Here is the full article from soccernet.

Soccernet (http://www.soccernet.com/england/news/2002/1015/20021015engtrainingcamp.html)

This is oh so very exciting. :D

Oz_da_Eagle
16-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Future English Newspaper Headline:

ITS JUST NOT CRICKET!

Socceroos thump woeful England

Not only do they thump us in cricket, now they beat us in our national game.........

England 1 (Beckham 90 pen)
Australia 3 (Kewell 1, Zane 60, Viduka 77)

C'mon the Green & Gold
Can't wait. To quote Big Kev "I'm excited!"

:p

sydney eagle
16-10-2002, 03:14 PM

ITS JUST NOT CRICKET!

Not only do they thump us in cricket, now they beat us in our national game.........

C'mon the Green & Gold

:p aww,it's nice to dream innit;):p

:D

Aussie Fieldy
13-02-2003, 02:53 PM
hhmmmm..Ashes series between Oz and Eng.
Obviously all you soft cocks wont be interested now.

What were all those previous responses?
England will whip Australia, no need for it!

A once a yar 'FRIENDLY' is defo. necessary now.

Deep down you English all want to be Australian...dont deny it.

SALT OF THE EARTH!!!

AJ1969
13-02-2003, 02:55 PM
At least we've got a culture :clown:

Twyford Bee
13-02-2003, 08:57 PM
hhmmmm..Ashes series between Oz and Eng.
Obviously all you soft cocks wont be interested now.

What were all those previous responses?
England will whip Australia, no need for it!

A once a yar 'FRIENDLY' is defo. necessary now.

SALT OF THE EARTH!!!

Charming as always.

I fear football as we know it may grow stale and unfufilled if this annual match is not arranged :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate what I said 6 months ago, we don't play ANYONE regularly in friendlies, we've got no more reason to play you regularly at football than we have to play someone like India every single year at cricket, we just do it every now and then. Maybe the next friendly will come round quicker than this one has (warm-up for 2006 World Cup maybe, while the team are all together in Europe?), but there's no chance of it becoming a regular event.

I await a well constructed and rational reply.

DennisUphill
14-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Charming as always.

I fear football as we know it may grow stale and unfufilled if this annual match is not arranged :rolleyes:

Just to reiterate what I said 6 months ago, we don't play ANYONE regularly in friendlies, we've got no more reason to play you regularly at football than we have to play someone like India every single year at cricket, we just do it every now and then. Maybe the next friendly will come round quicker than this one has (warm-up for 2006 World Cup maybe, while the team are all together in Europe?), but there's no chance of it becoming a regular event.

I await a well constructed and rational reply.
Bottle Job?

GUCCI Eagle
14-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Goal posts are made out of metal you utter plonker.

ozzieEagle
14-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by AJ1969
At least we've got a culture :clown:

Fair suck of the sav, sometimes you'se poms make me wanna chunder,all over me porcelain how's about.

Kylie and danni, sisters with culture innit ? Music
Pro Hart,/ ken done art
Barry Humphries, aka dame edna/sir les, entertainment
Paul Keating, politics you dopey pommy scumbags
and just to prove my point, streuth he even worked for the daily mirror !!!
John Pilger. now thats gotta be the coupe de grass

I rest my amber fluid induced case.

Oz_da_Eagle
15-02-2003, 07:21 AM

ITS JUST NOT CRICKET!

C'mon the Green & Gold

:p

Allow myself a pat on the back for this 'bold' prediction.

:lux: :lux: :lux:

Aussie Fieldy
18-02-2003, 01:09 PM
3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

GUCCI Eagle
18-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Your Grandmother on a prison ship

;)

Aussie Fieldy
18-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle

;)
Does your dick touch your arsehole? Does your dick touch your arsehole? Does your dick touch your arsehole?

God save your football team!
Long Live the Gold and Green
God save your team!!

Oz_da_Eagle
18-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Bartman
We'd thrash you at football, all day every day, and we always will. There isn't enough time in the footballing calendar to take out a month to go through the motions of beating a sub-standard team. Come back to me when your team have actually achieved something and there would be any point in playing you.

Get the message?

Care to make a comment Bartman?

Oz_da_Eagle
18-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Justy C
Its been a long time since England played Australia, it would be an interesting game but a comfortable win for England.

Other way round, more like.

Paolo
18-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Its simple......
Aussies beat us at everything else apart from footy. The most recent result was a fluke and will not be done again...
As for regular matchs between the two countries...............Y? 9 out of 10 times we will have ure asses, so why bother.
And the reining Embassy world champion aint an aussie hes dutch.... so suck it!!!!!

Twyford Bee
18-02-2003, 10:58 PM
3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

Well constructed AND rational! I'm impressed :rolleyes:

Just a land full of convicts.....

ozeagle
18-02-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by GUCCI Eagle

;)

thank the lord she was....

and more to the point,

your grandmother not smart enough to steal a loaf of bread and get on that ship...

:lux:
:hi:

PalaceFan in Alabama
18-02-2003, 11:45 PM
SALT OF THE EARTH!!!

First you call us poms, now you think we want to be Oz, what in razors name are you drinking pithead. I have visited your sand pile many times and it was OK, the only downer is the place is full of Oz.

ozeagle
18-02-2003, 11:51 PM
full of Oz maybe,
but not full of the most disliked race on earth,
Americans !

:rolleyes:

PalaceFan in Alabama
18-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Does your dick touch your arsehole? Does your dick touch your arsehole? Does your dick touch your arsehole?

IQ of 2.5, only goes to prove that inbreeding is still a problem.

PalaceFan in Alabama
18-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by ozeagle
full of Oz maybe,
but not full of the most disliked race on earth,
Americans !

:rolleyes:

Your :rolleyes: would hurt if I was an American :clown: As for the most disliked race I think your lot are up there with them. Take a lot at how many threads you lot have started over one game. I am glad it gives you this much pleasure, but one has to ask is that all it takes :eek:

Gatecrasher
19-02-2003, 12:05 AM
England are only interested in trying to be succesful in the World Cup and in the European Championships. Between qualifiers in these two tournaments, friendlies are arranged which England hope to win, but they are more interested in using them to try out players who may be used in important matches, i.e. the qualifiers for important tournaments.

Although the world is glued to their TV sets for these tournaments, as a rule, the world tends to have little interest in individual matches between countries, outside of these. If I was an administrator at The FA, would I be thinking, well we can concentrate on building up to the next World Cup/Euro tournament, or we could play a load of meaningless matches against the Australian team - a series of matches that would do nothing at all for the fitness of the England players. Give me a minute.....

I think we have other fish to fry. I think England have proved that they compete on world terms. Australia have yet to do this - and you know it's true.

ozieaglesimon
19-02-2003, 12:45 AM
3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

3-1

Pure class:p
Popa for Prime minister:moo:

PalaceFan in Alabama
19-02-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
sometimes you'se poms make me wanna chunder,all over me porcelain how's about.

With so many threads about Oz winning a game of football and you lot going out of your way to prove what the rest of the world already suspects; put 2 of you together and everyone heads for the exits.
I liked the sign I saw in a pub in LA, "How to close this bar, invite 2 Aussies in" :D

Now that is really asking a lot, expecting us to believe you have a porcelain outhouse, when we know that most of you dig a hole.

ozieaglesimon, how can you state that the prior post is "Pure class", makes one very concerned about the future of the open space you call home.

ozieaglesimon
19-02-2003, 05:06 AM
Normally I would be looking for a good comback to your post PFA but I am too busy laughing to concentrate:D You have made my day PFA, wonderful post:p
Anyway, why do you think my ancestors got sent to the other side of the globe in the first place? :clown:
I still reckon Popa should be PM!

PS: 3-1 is nothing but class, pure and simple!

Aussie Fieldy
23-02-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by PalaceFan in Alabama
First you call us poms, now you think we want to be Oz, what in razors name are you drinking pithead. I have visited your sand pile many times and it was OK, the only downer is the place is full of Oz.

When someone is as ugly as you, of course we're not going to be nice to you, now shut your pie hole!
You loser!