PDA

View Full Version : Eurosport wins Olympics TV from 2022

Beckenham Boy
29-06-2015, 06:01 PM
In rest of Europe from 2018 but France and UK from 2022.

Says will offer around 200 hrs of free to air tv coverage. BBC usually broadcast around 2500 hours on free to air so a massive cut

Beckenham Boy
29-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Here is story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33311902

Pistol Knight
29-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Dont care I dont watch it

But The Discovery Channel!!!

JAS78
29-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Shame, kids growing up watching huge sporting events is what creates and inspires the next athletes

We just need to lose free to air World Cup and Euros coverage and that will be that. Tick tock

Pistol Knight
29-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Shame, kids growing up watching huge sporting events is what creates and inspires the next athletes

We just need to lose free to air World Cup and Euros coverage and that will be that. Tick tock

Agree there but with the drug taking in Athletics now Channel 4 will probably make their own Cheating games by 2022 so will be on 'normal' TV

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
29-06-2015, 06:21 PM
In rest of Europe from 2018 but France and UK from 2022.

Says will offer around 200 hrs of free to air tv coverage. BBC usually broadcast around 2500 hours on free to air so a massive cut

Depends what the hours are of. I could shed a dozen hours of that horse prancing nonsense and a few of the nose clip diving heats quite happily. But then again that might be the free stuff and be a total snoozeathon.

Excowboy
29-06-2015, 06:21 PM
It's bad news, particularly for the beeb. Not as bad as if it had gone to Sky, though.

EryrExile
29-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Why would Eurosport want to show stuff people actually want to watch when there's still plenty of provincial korfball championships to fill the schedule?

Wycombe Eagle#2
29-06-2015, 06:30 PM
What exactly is the point of the licence fee?

Pistol Knight
29-06-2015, 06:34 PM

To keep executives on top salaries

FORZA SELHURST
29-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Hope this doesn't mean eurosport player charge increases.

Ryan_the_eagle
29-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Eurosport still have to make coverage free to air but I would imagine that it will be much reduced compared to what we have gotten used to.

chelmsfordeagle
29-06-2015, 06:51 PM
A real shame, the bbc cover the big sporting events very well and eurosport are frankly shit.

Yoda
29-06-2015, 07:12 PM

Looking at the sums quoted, it would have cost more than a quarter of the BBC's licence revenue to top the Eurosport bid.

So that's not going to happen for one event, no matter how wonderful.

This could really harm athletics and the smaller sports in future and be a short-sighted decision. I expect many viewers like myself came across coverage of some sports by accident and found them more interesting than I'd anticipated. That's the sort of coverage that inspires interest and future players.

But would I choose to pay Eurosport to watch such events on the off-chance that I might like them, no.

Beckenham Boy
29-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Looking at the sums quoted, it would have cost more than a quarter of the BBC's licence revenue to top the Eurosport bid.

So that's not going to happen for one event, no matter how wonderful.

This could really harm athletics and the smaller sports in future and be a short-sighted decision. I expect many viewers like myself came across coverage of some sports by accident and found them more interesting than I'd anticipated. That's the sort of coverage that inspires interest and future players.

But would I choose to pay Eurosport to watch such events on the off-chance that I might like them, no.

Although the Eurosport was for the whole of Europe so the BBC would never have bid for those rights.

It's more a shame the IOC have chosen to tender for the whole of Europe but then they are the same as FIFA at the end of the day

This could be a real disaster for UK athletics and athletics fans

GreatGonzo
29-06-2015, 07:36 PM
They are on Ofcoms Category A list of free to air sports coverage.

Yoda
29-06-2015, 07:49 PM
They are on Ofcoms Category A list of free to air sports coverage.

The article explains that means 200 hours, which is a fraction of what the BBC showed in 2012.

Yoda
29-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Although the Eurosport was for the whole of Europe so the BBC would never have bid for those rights.

It's more a shame the IOC have chosen to tender for the whole of Europe but then they are the same as FIFA at the end of the day

This could be a real disaster for UK athletics and athletics fans

I agree.

meee
29-06-2015, 10:26 PM
A real shame, the bbc cover the big sporting events very well and eurosport are frankly shit.

Some of their efforts,like their choice of pundits,commentators and presenters,can be shocking.Look no further than the cycling in 2012.But it's free so I wouldn't trade it for anything.And they do literally provide wall to wall coverage.Having the Olympics off free to air is a very bad move.