Worksop Palace
29-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Jesus wept

Claire balding.

Go away !

Excowboy
29-06-2015, 08:41 PM
I didn't watch. What's she done?

Can't remember watching her present tennis, but for general sport Clare Balding's about the best presenter on TV for me.

Worksop Palace
29-06-2015, 08:42 PM

Can't remember watching her present tennis, but for general sport Clare Balding's about the best presenter on TV for me.

Really ?

Jeez

Timbo
29-06-2015, 08:46 PM
McEnroe was quite amusing at the close just now. Balding doesn't seem to have any sense of humour

Excowboy
29-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Really ?

Jeez

Just in terms of depth of knowledge and being able to cover any sport. She pissed on Gary Lineker at the Olympics, for instance.

Old Joe Paxton
29-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Eh? What you on about? Probably most respected sports presenter over recent years.

west country boy
29-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Just in terms of depth of knowledge and being able to cover any sport. She pissed on Gary Lineker at the Olympics, for instance.Crikey.

MAX
29-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Really don't like the woman-pompous.

Jordan's Jacket
29-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Has she bumped the Inverdale?

Worksop Palace
29-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Eh? What you on about? Probably most respected sports presenter over recent years.

I'm being whooshed right ??

nellis
29-06-2015, 09:03 PM
I wonder whether it's possible to express an opinion without demonstrating or receiving aggression and anger?

Some people on here need to chill.

Ryan_the_eagle
29-06-2015, 09:03 PM
I just watch the tennis to be honest and have no real complaints. Didn't watch the highlights package, but I must admit I do find Claire Balding incredibly overrated.

Worksop Palace
29-06-2015, 09:12 PM
I wonder whether it's possible to express an opinion without demonstrating or receiving aggression and anger?

Does that depend on which opinion you agree with then ?

FORZA SELHURST
29-06-2015, 09:15 PM
> Inverdale. But I don't really care about tennis so I'll leave it there. The BBC does seem to really, really like Balding though and I'd say she is a serious contender to Matov's description of Sue Perkins as the 'Alpha Kipper Licker'.

Worksop Palace
29-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Inverdale and Balding are sycophantic arses.

Really very poor journalists, both

chelmsfordeagle
30-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Just in terms of depth of knowledge and being able to cover any sport. She pissed on Gary Lineker at the Olympics, for instance.

Along with Jake Humphries she was the best presenter at the olympics. She gets the balance between genuine interest, knowledge and allowing the experts to speak just right.

Im glad she has replaced Inverdale, he is terrible.

Salad_Burnet
30-06-2015, 07:51 AM
We have to watch this crap at work, but because most people in the office are a bit common (estuary English, M&S ready meals) it just makes the whole office look like god-awful social climbers.

And the clapping's so loud.

Old Joe Paxton
30-06-2015, 07:56 AM
We have to watch this crap at work, but because most people in the office are a bit common (estuary English, M&S ready meals) it just makes the whole office look like god-awful social climbers.

And the clapping's so loud.

Dear oh dear. England and it's class system and prejudices. A combination of a non-self aware George Orwell and Alan Bennett all in one post..

Old Joe Paxton
30-06-2015, 07:56 AM
..or excellent parody of Hyacinth Bucket

Yoda
30-06-2015, 08:11 AM
I'm generally with you on that Chelmsfordeagle.

Clare would be the first to admit that horse racing is her strongest sport in terms of depth of knowledge. But her role at the Olympics and Wimbledon is to link items and to ask sensible/informed questions of those who are the experts, eg McEnroe.

She is hugely popular with viewers, but ofcourse no presenter is liked by everyone. And to a certain extent, the more popular someone becomes, the more criticism they then start to attract if they ever fall short of expectations.

But I do think she's taken on too many jobs in recent years. She didn't suit that Saturday quiz show that she presented, but I can understand why she was curious to try a different type of programme. Best left alone in future!

art malice
30-06-2015, 08:13 AM

I bet Lineker was well into that

Salad_Burnet
30-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Dear oh dear. England and it's class system and prejudices. A combination of a non-self aware George Orwell and Alan Bennett all in one post..

They stick it on as mere gesture, so it has everything to do with giving some sort of social effect. If it wasn't, and they actually had an honest appreciation of the game, I'm sure they'd turn their chairs around and watch the bloody thing!

But they don't, they just leave it on in the background.

Another thing that I absolutely detest about tennis fans is the complete lack of patriotism they show. It reminds me of when Palace fans say Charlton are not their rivals. They seem to take pride in their higher mindedness. Very annoying.

Biggineagle
30-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Jesus wept

Claire balding.

Go away !

/\ this:p

ExiledStirling
30-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Crikey.
Not even close to a personal best let alone a world record. Piss poor attempt.

kayjay
30-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Did you catch those dickwad fanatics at the Lleyton Hewitt match?
Cringeworthy!!

Yoda
30-06-2015, 08:58 AM
They stick it on as mere gesture, so it has everything to do with giving some sort of social effect. If it wasn't, and they actually had an honest appreciation of the game, I'm sure they'd turn their chairs around and watch the bloody thing!

But they don't, they just leave it on in the background.

Another thing that I absolutely detest about tennis fans is the complete lack of patriotism they show. It reminds me of when Palace fans say Charlton are not their rivals. They seem to take pride in their higher mindedness. Very annoying.

If you go to Wimbledon there are huge numbers of fans who cheer on Murray, and Henman before him.

I agree there is a different breed of tennis 'fan' who is more aloof and superior in their attitude...maybe they are the types who enjoy it as a smart social event.

But, to be honest, the best matches I've seen there have been 5 set ones when the guys have been evenly matched and it's been a battle of wills. You do find yourself admiring both players and looking beyond patriotism.

One of my most vivid memories was seeing Becker when he first broke through. He was some athlete and it was great entertainment to watch a young guy throwing himself about the net. He cared about every point.

Excowboy
30-06-2015, 02:53 PM
McEnroe is on form on commentary talking about Kukushkin getting coached by his wife.

Biggineagle
30-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Have they shown the centre court thermometer yet ??

Timbo
30-06-2015, 03:08 PM

is that a threat?

:vader:

Sydenham Eagle
30-06-2015, 03:26 PM
I despair that we have to put up with the utter rubbish that comes out of Andrew Castle's mouth. Last week at Eastbourne he was commenting that Kuznetsova had an ideal game for grass with a big serve and big forehand and said she must be glad to get on the grass as she's never been much of a clay court player. Er, that would be other than the time she won the French Open then would it Andrew!?

Excowboy
30-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Have they shown the centre court thermometer yet ??

They usually save that shot for the third set, invariably followed by a slo mo of a random hotty in the crowd fanning herself.

hull eagle
30-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Has she bumped the Inverdale?

Inverdale was pony commentating on the Queens tennis

hull eagle
30-06-2015, 06:02 PM
They usually save that shot for the third set, invariably followed by a slo mo of a random hotty in the crowd fanning herself.

Mmmmmmmmm fanning herself :love:

eagle-leg
30-06-2015, 06:07 PM

This. Her an lineker are two of the best.

tasty_snacks
30-06-2015, 06:28 PM
The coverage is fine, good in fact.

What is unacceptable is that 'Today at Wimbledon' has been rebranded as 'Wimbledon 2day.' What dicktwat let a BBC3 grad anywhere near BBC Wimbledon production values?

Crofty
30-06-2015, 06:52 PM
..or excellent parody of Hyacinth Bucket

Or a Meta textual critique so knowing in cleverness that the true meaning of class division is rendered redundant.

Strathclyde Eagle
01-07-2015, 02:58 AM
Increasing number of crowd/atmosphere shots between points is starting to grate, if I'm honest.

Worksop Palace
01-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Radio coverage is just as bad. Amateurish.

And as for Nick Bollitari or whatever the pillocks name is .....

Louis
01-07-2015, 03:48 PM
She pissed on Gary Lineker at the Olympics, for instance.
Now that I would pay to see :p :D

Sir.S.C Remembered
01-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Was at Wimbledon yesterday and a guy from the BBC was desperately trying to recruit fans to be on Balding's show in the evening. Was a tough sell but think as most were just exhausted and tired plus too hot after a busy day

Sydenham Eagle
01-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Radio coverage is just as bad. Amateurish.

And as for Nick Bollitari or whatever the pillocks name is .....
Yeah, what's that pillock know about tennis other than coaching Agassi, Courier, Seles and Sharapova to Number 1 in the world and working with numerous other top players

Worksop Palace
01-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Yeah, what's that pillock know about tennis other than coaching Agassi, Courier, Seles and Sharapova to Number 1 in the world and working with numerous other top players

Where did I say he didn't know anything ?

Kylie_Tracey
01-07-2015, 06:41 PM
I dont mind Balding she is very knowledgeable seems to be equipped to deal with whatever sport she presents in a professional way etc, its the entire way the tired old lazy format that the Beeb rolls out year after year and the way it presents sport is lacking depth and effort, I'm not interested in seeing Barker, Tiger Tim Henman and this obsession of Henman Hill on my screens day after day, as a connoisseur of sport I want to see the ACTION, the Beeb are obsessed and have done for years now with these minor celebrities or studio panel guests adorning their sports shows, its a tired worn out , lazy format and they never seem to show any inclination to change or move into new more vibrant direction. Eurosport's brilliant coverage of Roland Garros and other tennis events puts them to shame, Skys coverage of the 2 other Grand Slams is equally impressive, the protection they have of the "Crown Jewel's" of world sports must be taken away from them ASAP, they've ruined far too many events over decades now to be trusted to host any more, its a dying , hopeless, lazy TV corporation in need of so many injections of ideas and re-
jigging its might be past the point of saving.

hatter8142
01-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I just watch the tennis to be honest and have no real complaints. Didn't watch the highlights package, but I must admit I do find Claire Balding incredibly overrated.

I would.

cranesparkeagle
01-07-2015, 07:09 PM
If you go to Wimbledon there are huge numbers of fans who cheer on Murray, and Henman before him.

I agree there is a different breed of tennis 'fan' who is more aloof and superior in their attitude...maybe they are the types who enjoy it as a smart social event.

But, to be honest, the best matches I've seen there have been 5 set ones when the guys have been evenly matched and it's been a battle of wills. You do find yourself admiring both players and looking beyond patriotism.

One of my most vivid memories was seeing Becker when he first broke through. He was some athlete and it was great entertainment to watch a young guy throwing himself about the net. He cared about every point.

Bit lik premier league foot fans who snot with derision when their club buys an English player instead of some herbert from Serie B so they can go doolaaly about their technique

Sydenham Eagle
01-07-2015, 07:18 PM
I dont mind Balding she is very knowledgeable seems to be equipped to deal with whatever sport she presents in a professional way etc, its the entire way the tired old lazy format that the Beeb rolls out year after year and the way it presents sport is lacking depth and effort, I'm not interested in seeing Barker, Tiger Tim Henman and this obsession of Henman Hill on my screens day after day, as a connoisseur of sport I want to see the ACTION, the Beeb are obsessed and have done for years now with these minor celebrities or studio panel guests adorning their sports shows, its a tired worn out , lazy format and they never seem to show any inclination to change or move into new more vibrant direction. Eurosport's brilliant coverage of Roland Garros and other tennis events puts them to shame, Skys coverage of the 2 other Grand Slams is equally impressive, the protection they have of the "Crown Jewel's" of world sports must be taken away from them ASAP, they've ruined far too many events over decades now to be trusted to host any more, its a dying , hopeless, lazy TV corporation in need of so many injections of ideas and re-
You must be the only person I've ever heard of who rates Eurosport's coverage of RG. Arty farty French camera angles and the awful Barbara Schett!

meee
01-07-2015, 07:22 PM

I watch ITV for the French and love the fact that things like Wimbledon are protected for free to air but agree with the rest of it.They spend ages talking nonsense while something interesting is happening on Court 3.The good thing this year and for the last few years is you can watch practically anything you want online.

Tomo
03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Thing is, with the Red Button, you can watch other matches so don't need to see the coverage.

There is also a lot of armchair tennis fans for Wimbledon, so they can get away without going to indepth.

FWIW I think the coverage has been quite good.

kolinkins
03-07-2015, 11:57 AM
The coverage is fine. The presenters are fine.

It's the setting which is the problem - too Top Gear with people just stood around.

Timbo
03-07-2015, 12:12 PM
I am enjoying it all so far. I like Sue Barker

billy_gilberts_hammer
03-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Wimbledon rights are up for grabs soon as BBC deal runs out only the finals have to be shown on terrestrial TV. Hopefully they will lose it and someone else can have a go at it. Should not be wasting taxpayers money on sport anyway let the Sky subscribers pay for it like everything else.

civil eagle
03-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Or just Salad on one his sub par troll attempts

mroakley9
03-07-2015, 12:21 PM
...as a connoisseur of sport...

Oooh so fancy

Yoda
03-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Wimbledon rights are up for grabs soon as BBC deal runs out only the finals have to be shown on terrestrial TV. Hopefully they will lose it and someone else can have a go at it. Should not be wasting taxpayers money on sport anyway let the Sky subscribers pay for it like everything else.

Wimbledon have already indicated their preference to stay with the BBC, as they believe their sport needs that level of free-to-air coverage.

Your final comment about licence fee money demonstrates just how hard it is to spread that money, because they will have even more pressure from those who love sport saying what's the point of paying the licence if they have to go to Sky for their sport instead.

Yoda
03-07-2015, 12:38 PM
The coverage is fine. The presenters are fine.

It's the setting which is the problem - too Top Gear with people just stood around.

I agree. They need to ask themselves why they have that audience there? It's not enough to just plonk them in because they perceive this to be the trendy thing to do.

Top Gear has a few hundred people in that hanger and they add a bit of background 'colour' and life to pictures that would otherwise look a bit sterile.

But it works best when the audience is quite large and the individuals feel less visible and embarrassed.

Either have a proper audience, or none.

Sydenham Eagle
03-07-2015, 12:39 PM
I would be very surprised if Wimbledon moved from the BBC. They benefit from the coverage as much and the BBC benefit from having it. At the end of the day, the All England is a private club and do not have any great necessity to go to a higher bidder as they already give the vast majority of revenue back to the LTA to fund British tennis anyway. I'm struggling to ascertain why people think coverage is better on Sky or Eurosport? Quite clearly most of the commentators are freelance as they are working at Wimbledon anyway (Petchey, Bradnam, Fleming, Durie etc.) Can't see that the coverage is lacking because we haven't got the Skypad or some French prick in a taxi giving players a lift to the practice courts!

sheepy
03-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Don't get this sort of view at all. Why should only those with money to blow on shit like sky get to enjoy these national events?

Chris of Beckenham
03-07-2015, 01:31 PM
I have enjoyed the coverage and having the Red button gives a lot of choice. The only low lights have been some Puppet that came on with Carole (weather lady) and called her and Sue Barker "Cocker" was a bit surreal. On the radio yesterday they had Bartloi on and she was hard to understand and was at a loss why the crowd wanted Maxi Preist to beat Nadal!

scro
03-07-2015, 02:05 PM
She seems nice enough for an over privileged toff. Considering she is such an insider when it comes to the racing game she manages to give nothing away to us punters. Therefore i actually think i prefer her on non horse racing coverage.

Tomo
03-07-2015, 02:14 PM
Wimbledon have already indicated their preference to stay with the BBC, as they believe their sport needs that level of free-to-air coverage.

Your final comment about licence fee money demonstrates just how hard it is to spread that money, because they will have even more pressure from those who love sport saying what's the point of paying the licence if they have to go to Sky for their sport instead.

Not everyone can afford Sky, and it's nice that a sporting tradition, isn't selling out to Sky for a bit of dosh. If it inspires one kid to pick up a racquet then all the better.

I think Wimbledon would lose it's charm if it moved over to Sky and certainly wouldn't get the same numbers.

chelmsfordeagle
03-07-2015, 02:30 PM
i flick between matches so avoid most of the talking. The only one i really like to listen to is McEnroe, Davenport and Henman are OK. I've not heard Bartoli at Wimbledon but she did the french for ITV. Her English isn't really good enough to commentate. I think it's sad that so much sport is on sky only.

Excowboy
11-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Pretty poor commentary for the Women's final.

JAS78
11-07-2015, 02:47 PM
It's time to make women's tennis 5 sets

Apart from a brief flurry in the second set, that was pretty dull. Put the kettle on for a cup of tea, by the time you get back its finished.

Breaking rocks
11-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Not everyone can afford Sky, and it's nice that a sporting tradition, isn't selling out to Sky for a bit of dosh. If it inspires one kid to pick up a racquet then all the better.

I think Wimbledon would lose it's charm if it moved over to Sky and certainly wouldn't get the same numbers.

Only a matter of time following the Olympics.