PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember Fumaca ?

eaglebhoy
30-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Just read this at No. 3 in the following :

http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/9896709/Top-Ten

Can't say I noticed this guys short spell here, did anyone ?

Webb
30-06-2015, 11:37 AM
I remember the Leicester cup game he played, the 3-3 one where their keeper got sent off and Theo Zakoragis went in goal.

I think he followed Mick Wadsworth, who had a very brief spell with us, when he went to Newcastle as an assistant to Bobby Robson.

Don't remember him doing anything good.

kolinkins
30-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Didn't he lose a contact lense?

Latvian Eagle
30-06-2015, 11:58 AM
He played about three games for us, he was a central midfielder who we signed on a short term deal as we were in admin and he was basically on a game by game contract I think.

As also stated he followed Mick Wadsworth up to Newcastle who signed him on a two or three year deal. He only played about seven or eight games for them though.

I was always confused what to call him as in all the press and online he was Fumaca but on the matchday programmes he was Jose Antunes and on his shirt he wore Antunes too.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/22/article-0-02C1D3CA00000578-609_468x621.jpghttp://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~riks/fumaca1.jpg

eaglebhoy
30-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks Latvian,

I don't remember him at all even though I did have that, ahem, lovely home jersey you've got the pic of him in :confused:

I find it strange as I would've wet myself to see us play a Brazilian now and especially so back then !

Latvian Eagle
30-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks Latvian,

I don't remember him at all even though I did have that, ahem, lovely home jersey you've got the pic of him in :confused:

The article seems a little factually incorrect as I am sure he played in at lesst one league game for us, and he definitely played a few more than three games for Newcastle.

Saying that the article lost my attention having Jo at number 9. He wasn't exactly a World beater, but I actually thought he was an okay player. Certainly his first spell at Everton I can recall him doing well.

Latvian Eagle
30-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Soon after Fumaca left we took another lad on a rolling contract, a Venezuelan striker called Fernando De Ornelas.

lee_cpfc
30-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Soon after Fumaca left we took another lad on a rolling contract, a Venezuelan striker called Fernando De Ornelas.

Apparently he drunk in the Jolly Sailor?

EastBerksEagle
30-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Isnt that the stuff they used to make kitchens out of ?

ElwissAtMemphis
30-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Like a lot of Brazilian footballers he played under a nickname, Fumaca, which means smoke apparently. His name was Josť Antunes. We signed him on a one month contract from Barnsley in September 1999 when we were still in Administration and were having to field inexperienced youth players and unknowns like him signed via dodgy agents just to be able to field a team.

His debut was as a sub in a Div2 1-2 defeat at Maine Road. He then started the next 4 matches; a 2-leg League Cup tie against Leicester (3-3 at home, 2-4 away) and a 3-0 home league win against Grimsby and a 0-0 draw at West Brom (all in September 1999).

I never saw him but he must have impressed to an extent because Newcastle signed him at the end of the month where he made 5 Premiership appearances before leaving English football never to return.

TopKnot
30-06-2015, 12:34 PM
really weird career for a pro footballer. over a dozen clubs across the world, at all different levels - but only 51 games played in a 10-year career.

Can only assume he likes travelling a lot

MFBias
01-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Fumaca played pretty well against Grimsby, I was disappointed to lose him to Newcastle at the time especially because of our depleted squad. He was better than De Ornelas who just seemed to run around up front aimlessly (ended up playing for Celtic)

Anyone remember when we signed 3 Argentines in 2000:
Pablo Rodrigues, Christian Ledmesma and Walter Del Rio
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-palace-break-boca-juniors-heart-1089976.html

MFBias
01-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Double post

footballcrazy
01-07-2015, 01:21 PM
yes... quality signings!Pablo Rodrigues, Christian Ledmesma and Walter Del Rio

RDSdaEAGLE
01-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Didn't he lose a contact lense?

A gold false tooth. It fell out as he was playing, he stopped and looked for it before picking it up :D

Jim Cannon
01-07-2015, 01:28 PM
I never saw him but he must have impressed to an extent because Newcastle signed him at the end of the month where he made 5 Premiership appearances before leaving English football never to return.

He really wasn't all that at all....there was some excitement as we had signed a Brazilian mind. I have always believed the only reason he made it to Newcastle was because Palace coach Mick Wadsworth abruptly left the club to to take up a job offer from Bobby Robson. Fumaca/Antunes briefly joined him up north before being swiftly discarded.

Latvian Eagle
01-07-2015, 03:43 PM
yes... quality signings!Pablo Rodrigues, Christian Ledmesma and Walter Del Rio

There was a reason why Rodrigues and Ledesma never made it here, but I can't remember why.

Pub Idol
01-07-2015, 04:00 PM
The context of the situation was that we were in a dire state and we needed anyone with any class what so ever to help us out. Luckily freebies and loans were still permitted and we took advantage - but at that time it was clear that anyone who was any good would soon be gone - Fumaca looked ok and was soon snapped up.

The player that gets forgotten (because of Ashley Cole) is Terry Phelan - He was exceptional for Palace in a short period. A last minute run down the wing supplied a great cross for Svenson to head home a fantastic winner at home against Norwich maybe ?

Santos-er
01-07-2015, 04:11 PM
There was a reason why Rodrigues and Ledesma never made it here, but I can't remember why.

Possibly because they were only ever signed to line someone's pockets?

Latvian Eagle
01-07-2015, 05:06 PM
The context of the situation was that we were in a dire state and we needed anyone with any class what so ever to help us out. Luckily freebies and loans were still permitted and we took advantage - but at that time it was clear that anyone who was any good would soon be gone - Fumaca looked ok and was soon snapped up.

The player that gets forgotten (because of Ashley Cole) is Terry Phelan - He was exceptional for Palace in a short period. A last minute run down the wing supplied a great cross for Svenson to head home a fantastic winner at home against Norwich maybe ?

It was Norwich indeed.

I remember there was one game, away but can't remember who where we had ex Chelsea centre back David Lee, Brian Launders and someone else all on trial / rolling deals

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 08:43 AM
Can't recall any actual football moves Fumaca did despite being at all his games. What I do recall is the Woolpackers getting very vocal at West Brom

The 'Fu-Fu-Fumaca' chant they did all game is my abiding memory of that dull 0-0 draw.

Maybe he left because he didn't like the chant!!

He may also have been playing for us for free. When I was selling OMP prior to teh Grimsby game a fan came up to me suggesting I use the fanzine to publicise a whip round for him, just to show a token of appreciation. To be honest, while it was a nice principle, my main concern was the club as a whole, not individual players.

TheMexicanHorse
19-07-2015, 09:09 AM
It was Norwich indeed.

I remember there was one game, away but can't remember who where we had ex Chelsea centre back David Lee, Brian Launders and someone else all on trial / rolling deals

Portsmouth away.

We also for a time that season had a GK on a short term contract called Mauntone?

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Portsmouth away.

We also for a time that season had a GK on a short term contract called Mauntone?

Steve Mautone, ex West Ham. He played two games too. He was pretty crap. :D

west country boy
19-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Steve Mautone. Australian, I think.

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I had my picture taken with his jersey on the peg in the changing room before the Walsall game in 1999, on the basis that he might be the next Nigel Martyn.

Could I have picked a more non-descript jersey!!!??

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Steve Mautone. Australian, I think.

Fraser Digby, Steve Mautone and Matt Gregg used in one season. What a set of non descript goalkeepers if ever there was.

Backs up my theory that in the five years between Nigel Martyn leaving and Matt Clarke signing we had some seriously crap goalkeepers.

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex Kolinko

917L
19-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Steve Mautone, ex West Ham. He played two games too. He was pretty crap. :D

He was a lot worse than pretty crap

Worst Ive ever seen in the first team I think

917L
19-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Fraser Digby, Steve Mautone and Matt Gregg used in one season. What a set of non descript goalkeepers if ever there was.

Backs up my theory that in thw five years between Nigel Martyn leaving and Matt Clarke signing we had some seriously crap goalkeepers.

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex Kolinko
Kolinko

Nothing wrong with Kolinko, and Carlo could have been good if given a real chance. Didn't let us down when we went up

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Nothing wrong with Kolinko, and Carlo could have been good if given a real chance. Didn't let us down when we went up

Carlo was ok in the promotion season, but my mate always and still does bemoan the fact he couldn't dive properly. :D

Kolinko was hit and miss for me. A true sublime to the ridiculous. He made probably some of the most amazing saves I have ever seen, but also some horrific errors too.

west country boy
19-07-2015, 12:20 PM

Backs up my theory that in the five years between Nigel Martyn leaving and Matt Clarke signing we had some seriously crap goalkeepers.

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex KolinkoBobby Mimms?! I don't even remember him being at Palace.

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Bobby Mimms?! I don't even remember him being at Palace.

He played one game on loan when Chris Day was injured and the management obviously didn't think Carlo was ready.

west country boy
19-07-2015, 12:33 PM
I wasn't doubting you, just surprised that he played for us.

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 01:04 PM
I wasn't doubting you, just surprised that he played for us.

Just letting you know. ;)

DARZET EAGLE
19-07-2015, 05:20 PM

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex Kolinko

Kolinko was sort of OK, until he took the piss out of his own side and was bashed by Trevor Francis.

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex Kolinko

Kolinko was sort of OK, until he took the piss out of his own side and was bashed by Trevor Francis.

That whole thing was massively blown out of proportion... What a farce. Because of that incident we ended up with even more gash in goal... Nik Michopoulos and Cedric Berthelin donning the shirt at times after Heskey had effectively ended Clarke's career.

BuktaBoy
19-07-2015, 05:54 PM

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex Kolinko

That's a little harsh on messrs Nash & Kolinko.

Mimms only played once and Taylor was just a short term loan.

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 06:34 PM
That's a little harsh on messrs Nash & Kolinko.

Mimms only played once and Taylor was just a short term loan.

Taylor was supposed to be a season long loan but was so unimpressive we sent him back once we signed Kolinko. The final nail in the coffin was the 6'4" Taylor getting lobbed on his goal line from 35-40 yards up at Preston.

mushroom
19-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex Kolinko

I think Matt Gregg ended up working on the railway.... Dorset area.

BuktaBoy
19-07-2015, 06:55 PM
I think Matt Gregg ended up working on the railway.... Dorset area.

Didn't El Tel sanction his signing after we played Torquay in the League Cup? Bizarre..

jaspercpfc
19-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Didn't El Tel sanction his signing after we played Torquay in the League Cup? Bizarre..

We drew down at Plainmoor in the league cup, (August 98) and Gregg moved to SE25 a few months later. Don't remember any errors, think it was a case he was never given a chance to establish himself.

Latvian Eagle
19-07-2015, 08:06 PM
We drew down at Plainmoor in the league cup, (August 98) and Gregg moved to SE25 a few months later. Don't remember any errors, think it was a case he was never given a chance to establish himself.

He done ok in his few appearances but he wasn't that good to be honest.

I don't know about the railway thing, but his wife was Irish and he had a pretty decent career in the LoI.

Maidstoned Eagle
19-07-2015, 08:58 PM

Chris Day
Carlo Nash
Bobby Mimms
Kevin Miller
Fraser Digby
Steve Mautone
Matt Gregg
Stuart Taylor
Alex Kolinko

Fraser Digby got shipped out after feigning injury during a pre match warm up.

Latvian Eagle
20-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Fraser Digby got shipped out after feigning injury during a pre match warm up.

Never heard that one. We had a few "strange" goings on when the Jordan's came in... Linighan and Fullerton come to mind. And Vic Bettinelli too I believe.

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Gotta love the fact that Fumaca was that non-descript that a thread dedicated to just him has turned into a dicussion about our compendium of dodgy goalies and dodgy dealings!!

PoolKing
20-07-2015, 08:22 AM
I remember like others being really excited signing him just because he was Brazilian! I thought he was an ok player but recall him playing the complete opposite style of what I expected. He was a solid, defensive midfielder rather than a creative, skilful player with lots of flair which at the time I expected a Brazilian player to be like.

the elusive k
20-07-2015, 09:19 AM
I have a vague memory of him smacking the bar with a vicious long range effort in one game, whether that was actually him or if it even happened or not I don't know.

Latvian Eagle
20-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Gotta love the fact that Fumaca was that non-descript that a thread dedicated to just him has turned into a dicussion about our compendium of dodgy goalies and dodgy dealings!!

Not really that surprising. Most people even around at the time can't even remember the guy. He was Brazilian with an exotic name, the trouble is that doesn't actually make you a decent footballer.

God knows what Newcastle saw in him to offer him a contract in the Premier League though.

jaspercpfc
20-07-2015, 11:44 AM
I have a vague memory of him smacking the bar with a vicious long range effort in one game, whether that was actually him or if it even happened or not I don't know.

Blackburn away?

Tripod 10
20-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Apparently he drunk in the Jolly Sailor?

Quite regularly judging by his performances on the pitch.

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Blackburn away?

That was Fernando De Ornelas