PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch this?

Stuart Austen
15-07-2015, 06:31 PM

Stuart Austen
15-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Whoops! Bit quick off the mark there, as Mrs Austen might say!
Basically, this popped up during 'Goal', the official film of the 1982 World Cup in Spain.
This part of the film, narrated by Sean Connery, was focusing on England's sometimes troublesome fans and this fella pops up with an outfit urging people to 'Save Crystal Palace FC... shoot Ron Noades'
Would be amazing if this guy is a BBSer...

bestperch
15-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Yes I saw this, think it was on BT earlier this summer. Had to rewind and pause it because at first glance I thought his poster read 'Shoot Mullery'

Lawd Elpus
16-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Amongst Palace's most well known faces amongst our regular support in the 60's and 70''s, that was Chris Wright. Also known as the 'Prat with the hat' at England matches.

Have to say, myself and possibly what was left of our regular support fully agreed with the opinion expressed on Mr Wright's shirt back in 1982.

morrisons shirt
26-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Yes was Chris Wright we spoke with him out there.is he still about haven't seen him for years.?

Pistol Knight
26-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Twiggy
26-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Amongst Palace's most well known faces amongst our regular support in the 60's and 70''s, that was Chris Wright. Also known as the 'Prat with the hat' at England matches.

Have to say, myself and possibly what was left of our regular support fully agreed with the opinion expressed on Mr Wright's shirt back in 1982.

... he is involved in many of my most prominent memories at Palace...Chris and his st.Bernard dog in the Holmesdale, then another memory...looking back up the holmesdale during fighting vs Chelsea..to see Chris standing on top of a crowd barrier before throwing himself into the melee.

:lux:

Pistol Knight
26-07-2015, 08:14 AM
... he is involved in many of my most prominent memories at Palace...Chris and his st.Bernard dog in the Holmesdale, then another memory...looking back up the holmesdale during fighting vs Chelsea..to see Chris standing on top of a crowd barrier before throwing himself into the melee.

:lux:

He called the dog Selhurst, bloody great thing used to have a Palace scarf on as a lead :D

Also remember him from the Grunwick dispute

barnabas
26-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Legend has it he was related to Pink Floyd's Rick Wright. Shall always remember him with blood streaming down his head after a post-match ruck with locals around 1974-75.

dave_who_ru
26-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Chris was a staunch trade union official. Also a picture of him somewhere offering champagne to the players pre the Fulham promotion game in 1969. I think he christened the ball with champagne pre kick off as well.

Certainly blotted his copybook with his England antics. There are other stories but with the passing of time not 100% sure he was there but definitely active trying to rouse the fans at Italia 90 when England played the qualifying round in Sciliy.

SanSte
26-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Chris was a staunch trade union official. Also a picture of him somewhere offering champagne to the players pre the Fulham promotion game in 1969. I think he christened the ball with champagne pre kick off as well.

Certainly blotted his copybook with his England antics. There are other stories but with the passing of time not 100% sure he was there but definitely active rying to rouse the fans at Italia 90 when Engkand played the qualifying round in Sciliy.
It was Sardinia and we were with him he really was an innocent party but he did get hit with a plastic bullet while trying to walk to the ground when we played Ireland.

Ruskin Old Boy
26-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Certainly blotted his copybook with his England antics. There are other stories but with the passing of time not 100% sure he was there but definitely active rying to rouse the fans at Italia 90 when Engkand played the qualifying round in Sciliy.

Yes, that was David Payne taking a swig from Chris's bottle of champagne.

stiggy
26-07-2015, 09:13 AM
He used to run a Croydon Sunday league football team called The Eagles.... my brother and I used to play for them in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a rather ramshackle team... with mismatched and falling apart kits most of the time we played; enoyable though. Denny Warren and Roger Poole played for the team as well.... along with lots of other Palace fans... some of whom may be on the forums as well. He also used to run a pub in Ramsgate... we went down there once to do a pre-season game, as I remember.

anti-addick
26-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Is he still alive?

stiggy
26-07-2015, 09:42 AM
I have no idea if he is still with us.... completely lost contact with him after leaving his sunday league team. I seem to remember that he run for for election in Ramsgate as labour candidate in an election in the late 80's.... don't think he got anywhere with that though.... could be wrong though.

Ruskin Old Boy
26-07-2015, 10:02 AM
From an earlier thread: http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6872456&postcount=135

dave_who_ru
26-07-2015, 10:15 AM
It was Sardinia and we were with him he really was an innocent party but he did get hit with a plastic bullet while trying to walk to the ground when we played Ireland.

Apologies for getting the location wrong. Wasn't Chris trying to organise a march to the ground which may have contributed to the police getting heavy handed?

big bad John
26-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Yes, that was David Payne taking a swig from Chris's bottle of champagne.

I read or was told somewhere that he broke David Payne's tooth when he shoved the bottle in his mouth. The week previously Wright had ran onto the pitch at Preston with a bottle of champers.

big bad John
26-07-2015, 04:37 PM
He used to run a Croydon Sunday league football team called The Eagles.... my brother and I used to play for them in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a rather ramshackle team... with mismatched and falling apart kits most of the time we played; enoyable though. Denny Warren and Roger Poole played for the team as well.... along with lots of other Palace fans... some of whom may be on the forums as well. He also used to run a pub in Ramsgate... we went down there once to do a pre-season game, as I remember.

Wasn't the team originally called Palace People?