PDA

View Full Version : One More Point - The Book (Covering fanzines, Palace and football in the 80s/90s)

Grim Reaper
18-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Mark it down - 17 July 2015 - some 12 years after I should have started it, is the day I finally write the 'One More Point' book. Set a target of 10 pages this weekend and already the first four page have flowed like the old days.

Finally got the motivation and the reason I'm writing this post is that I want you people reading to shame me if it ever looks like I'm slacking in any way or not staying focussed enough.

Palace fans on here who remember the OMP days - if you have any comments/stories you remember then thrown them my way.

There will be stuff I've forgotten that you can remind me of that can go in the book.

After all this time I've realised that I don't want this to be a book just about fanzines and the hassles/stories/fun that come from writing and selling on the streets but I want it also to capture the essence of football from 1990 to 2003.

OMP started in 1993 but I'll also dip into what the fanzines before mine were doing. Eagle Eye was the daddy of Palace fanzines and will certainly get a lot of love but I'll also add in memories I have of other teams fanzines.

I want it to be a footnote so that people under 30 realise you could have a whole day out (beers, travel and match ticket) to West Brom or Norwich or Leicester etc. and still have change from 30.

There have been scores of books on football hooliganism but to my knowledge NONE on fanzines written by someone who was part of the scene.

Feel free to throw any thoughts down, good or bad, about OMP. Also thoughts on Eagle Eye, Eastern Eagles and even any of the smaller ones like Suffer Little Children.

Sportspages in Charing Cross was like heaven to me in the 90s. I bought such a wide variety of fanzines. All sorts of clubs. Did you have a fave fanzine of a club you didn't even support? I liked Ipswich's Those Were the Days and Sheff Utd's Flashing Blade for instance.

There were some stories that were never printed for all manner of reasons so some of those will finally get written.

Some items actually suit being written with the benefit of hindsight.

And if someone can think of a goddamn title I'll be grateful. Just like the old days - I could write 2000 words off the top of my head no problem but trying to think of a headline for articles was a nightmare.

Working title, for now, but I'm sure it'll change is 'Is that the Programme?'

Odds Against
18-07-2015, 01:53 PM
One of the worst things to hit SE25. Don't start re-writing history. Let it be.

RUSSELL
18-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Used to love OMP, the away days part was probably my favorite.

Woosie
18-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Looking forward to buying and reading this, might give me some inspiration for FYP too

Wibble Wobble
18-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Mark it down - 17 July 2015 - some 12 years after I should have started it, is the day I finally write the 'One More Point' book. Set a target of 10 pages this weekend and already the first four page have flowed like the old days.

Finally got the motivation and the reason I'm writing this post is that I want you people reading to shame me if it ever looks like I'm slacking in any way or not staying focussed enough.

Palace fans on here who remember the OMP days - if you have any comments/stories you remember then thrown them my way.

There will be stuff I've forgotten that you can remind me of that can go in the book.

After all this time I've realised that I don't want this to be a book just about fanzines and the hassles/stories/fun that come from writing and selling on the streets but I want it also to capture the essence of football from 1990 to 2003.

OMP started in 1993 but I'll also dip into what the fanzines before mine were doing. Eagle Eye was the daddy of Palace fanzines and will certainly get a lot of love but I'll also add in memories I have of other teams fanzines.

I want it to be a footnote so that people under 30 realise you could have a whole day out (beers, travel and match ticket) to West Brom or Norwich or Leicester etc. and still have change from 30.

There have been scores of books on football hooliganism but to my knowledge NONE on fanzines written by someone who was part of the scene.

Feel free to throw any thoughts down, good or bad, about OMP. Also thoughts on Eagle Eye, Eastern Eagles and even any of the smaller ones like Suffer Little Children.

Sportspages in Charing Cross was like heaven to me in the 90s. I bought such a wide variety of fanzines. All sorts of clubs. Did you have a fave fanzine of a club you didn't even support? I liked Ipswich's Those Were the Days and Sheff Utd's Flashing Blade for instance.

There were some stories that were never printed for all manner of reasons so some of those will finally get written.

Some items actually suit being written with the benefit of hindsight.

And if someone can think of a goddamn title I'll be grateful. Just like the old days - I could write 2000 words off the top of my head no problem but trying to think of a headline for articles was a nightmare.

Working title, for now, but I'm sure it'll change is 'Is that the Programme?'
Hello cuz:p

jaspercpfc
18-07-2015, 08:53 PM
I loved OMP. The shenanigans of Spud & co on away days, the fiasco at Pompey away on a wet Saturday on an open terrace, "Canoe Gate"
great memories :p

Grim Reaper
18-07-2015, 10:05 PM
I loved OMP. The shenanigans of Spud & co on away days, the fiasco at Pompey away on a wet Saturday on an open terrace, "Canoe Gate"
great memories :p

Was something about Spud and the sea air on the south coast that affected Spud. In two games there in 1999 he managed to get on the pitch to attack the ref and then up in the cells for celebrating the Lininghan goal. Hilarious.

Desperately trying to remember what 'canoegate' was. I did do a dopey prank with a canoe after a party but pretty sure that wouldn't have made OMP as it was not part of a Palace day out.

jaspercpfc
19-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Was something about Spud and the sea air on the south coast that affected Spud. In two games there in 1999 he managed to get on the pitch to attack the ref and then up in the cells for celebrating the Lininghan goal. Hilarious.

Desperately trying to remember what 'canoegate' was. I did do a dopey prank with a canoe after a party but pretty sure that wouldn't have made OMP as it was not part of a Palace day out.

Wasn't it a case of you tested out the water to see what you could get through the turnstiles, a mattress one week, I'm sure you attempted other objects including a canoe or something vaguely similar at Vale Park. Are you still in touch with Spud & co?

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 08:35 AM
Wasn't it a case of you tested out the water to see what you could get through the turnstiles, a mattress one week, I'm sure you attempted other objects including a canoe or something vaguely similar at Vale Park. Are you still in touch with Spud & co?

Blimey. Had forgotten about that. Going to have to re-read the 1999 issues - that drunken period is honestly a blur now, yet I remember 1993-95 no problem.

We got some weird stuff into grounds - inc ammunition and a chunk of Cambridge United's roof! But a can of Lynx? No chance!! Stewards are weird! :clown:

jjeagle
19-07-2015, 09:08 AM
Not particularly weird, but l do remember one Villa away game when a Palace fan brought the biggest naan bread l had ever seen into the away end.

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Guilty as charged!

Kai
19-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Looking forward to this. Used to read OMP and having it sent to me in Norway at time when Palace News was scarce over here. Will be happy to contribute about the Norwegain Palace fanzine (now running in its 25 year!) if wanted.

jjeagle
19-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Guilty as charged!

Any idea when that was. My memory is shot to bits? I think we lost but l have a vague memory of us bringing on a sub (Matt Jansen??) who scored with a long range shot??? Mind you, we could just as well of won with a Vince Hilaire tap in!!!

lee_cpfc
19-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Used to read OMP when I was younger thinking these loads were the bees knees, a bit like Tony and Gary in Men Behaving Badly.

When in hindsight....

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Looking forward to this. Used to read OMP and having it sent to me in Norway at time when Palace News was scarce over here. Will be happy to contribute about the Norwegain Palace fanzine (now running in its 25 year!) if wanted.

Wow! I know that name Kai - are you Kai Lindseth? You were either the first or second subscriber OMP ever had. Cant recal exactly but I know the first two were Norwegian. Orneblikket must be one of the oldest fanzines in the world let alone Palace! Would love you to write a piece that tells people how you learnt of fanzines; why YOU and not someone else started
it up there in Norway and a general overview of what it was like pre-internet following Palace.

Great to hear from you!! :p

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Any idea when that was. My memory is shot to bits? I think we lost but l have a vague memory of us bringing on a sub (Matt Jansen??) who scored with a long range shot??? Mind you, we could just as well of won with a Vince Hilaire tap in!!!

Your vague memory is pretty accurate. 3-0 down at HT but we 'won' the 2nd half through that Magic Jansen rocket to lose 3-1 at FT. It was our 8th straight defeat but felt like a victory. Palace fans at their best on that day, for sure. which other fans would get to sing about their upcoming European tour whilst three goals down (Note: we were told Palace were applying for the Intertoto Cup and we were going to get the nod on the basis we were the only bloody team interested in taking part!!!)

The good vibes obviously worked as four days later we won at Newcastle for our first win in something like three months!

Grim Reaper
19-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Used to read OMP when I was younger thinking these loads were the bees knees, a bit like Tony and Gary in Men Behaving Badly.

Sums it up nicely. I'll take that analogy.

The One More Pint section was tricky in a way. It was generally the only part that people would moan about when buying a copy from me

'Hope there's not too much drinking stuff in there this time mate'
'No, no. I've cut it back this time, sir"

(Translated as - it's gone from 4 pages to 5 but I'm hoping you're not keeping count)

On the flip side every single year it won 'Article of the Year' and was also the most loved section when talking to fans in general, hence the Men Behaving Badly comparison is pretty accurate.

mik59
19-07-2015, 10:21 AM
OMP, and Eagle Eye before it, were the connection to fellow fans before many of us had t'internet in the home, or in my case, before we had it at work even. Even when we did, alongside CPFRIS, and subsequently the BBS, it was an essential part of feeling part of a bigger group that you didn't know personally but helped you increasingly feel like you did. '93 was about the time that I started going to games with a small group of fans I'd got to know through stevek who I met through work. OMP was an extension of that. For me personally, it filled in many gaps that had formed from too many years of barely keeping in touch with my hometown team via the odd media coverage.

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Perfect mik59 - I'll copy and paste that paragraph for Chapter 3!

stumpy feelers
20-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Loved one more point, do you still live up in Grimsby?

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Jacked the guest house in a few years ago (money = good - stress = bad!)

Over the other side of the Humber just outside Hull. Damn Hull City getting relegated, I've no Palace game within 2 hours of me now!!

WestBerksPalace
20-07-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm old enough to remember 'Away Day News' a back and white photo stated small publication handed out on the coaches and trains in the 70s. I still have a couple of copies at home somewhere.

Nelson Muntz
20-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Jacked the guest house in a few years ago (money = good - stress = bad!)

Over the other side of the Humber just outside Hull. Damn Hull City getting relegated, I've no Palace game within 2 hours of me now!!

You got out of Medway just in time !!!!

Ruskin Old Boy
20-07-2015, 04:14 PM
Looking forward to the book. OMP was always a good read.

Kai
20-07-2015, 04:23 PM
Wow! I know that name Kai - are you Kai Lindseth? You were either the first or second subscriber OMP ever had. Cant recal exactly but I know the first two were Norwegian. Orneblikket must be one of the oldest fanzines in the world let alone Palace! Would love you to write a piece that tells people how you learnt of fanzines; why YOU and not someone else started
it up there in Norway and a general overview of what it was like pre-internet following Palace.

Great to hear from you!! :p

I am indeed the very same! Our fanzine is still running and is better than ever! I'll do a piece on whatever you'd like me too, just post me a reminder in a little while! fanzines in the pre-internet days were such a joy to read and the humour was great. Getting the likes of OMP and Eagle Eye in the mail was almost like Christmas!

Dorking .Eagle
20-07-2015, 06:42 PM
The Samsunspor trip issue was the most epic. If I ever have to chuck out Palace stuff for more space (please no!) then that issue is the one I'll always keep hold of. Real laugh out loud stuff, but all the more poignant because I sort of witnessed half of it (Turkish police towing your hire car LOL - funny now looking back)

Strangely I used to contribute loads of stuff for the Eastern Eagles fanzine, despite knowing it was the poor relation of EE/OMP. I guess I knew they used to print almost anything!

Have a distant memory of it all kicking off after some letters were published regarding a couple of the 'Back Row Boys' (LOL) being kicked out by stewards at WBA or somewhere similar. It was a small world back then but a right laugh.

Just hope the book turns out how you want it to Cris, don't just churn out a certain number of pages just because you feel you have to hit a certain quota, and don't be afraid to edit and rewrite stuff.

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 08:21 PM
You got out of Medway just in time !!!!

So I've heard and read. And with Hull on the up with being the City of Culture in 2017, looks like it's a decent move overall - just need some Yorkshire teams in the Premier for Palace to visit!

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 08:30 PM
The Samsunspor trip issue was the most epic. If I ever have to chuck out Palace stuff for more space (please no!) then that issue is the one I'll always keep hold of. Real laugh out loud stuff, but all the more poignant because I sort of witnessed half of it (Turkish police towing your hire car LOL - funny now looking back)

Strangely I used to contribute loads of stuff for the Eastern Eagles fanzine, despite knowing it was the poor relation of EE/OMP. I guess I knew they used to print almost anything!

Have a distant memory of it all kicking off after some letters were published regarding a couple of the 'Back Row Boys' (LOL) being kicked out by stewards at WBA or somewhere similar. It was a small world back then but a right laugh.

Just hope the book turns out how you want it to Cris, don't just churn out a certain number of pages just because you feel you have to hit a certain quota, and don't be afraid to edit and rewrite stuff.

Good advice. 9000 words in the can at present but tonight I'm already going back and hacking away at what I wrote over the weekend.

Anyone on here written a book before? Is there a 'right' way to do it Edit as you go along? Write the whole thing then edit, edit, edit?

As I said earlier in the thread, this won't be just about OMP but about the culture (EE being the main focus) around football/fanzines in the early 90s that led to OMP starting.

Gotta watch myself or the book's going to be an Eagle Eye-love in on current form. Sometimes you can think things were better than they actually, but re-reading EE book Palace in the Big Time for some reminders, their stuff is still fantastic.

Palace in the Big Time acts as a great reference for anyone wanting to know about CPFC 1987-1994; hopefully this book will provide the same reference for 1990-2003.

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 08:40 PM
The Samsunspor trip issue was the most epic. Real laugh out loud stuff, but all the more poignant because I sort of witnessed half of it (Turkish police towing your hire car LOL - funny now looking back)

Can safely say it was the most eventful day of my life. How the hell we came through that trip unscathed I'll never know. I'll never travel without insurance again in my life. :eek:

Grim Reaper
20-07-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm old enough to remember 'Away Day News' a back and white photo stated small publication handed out on the coaches and trains in the 70s. I still have a couple of copies at home somewhere.

First I've heard of this one. Was this a general publication of just Palace? Would be interested to see one of these.

stumpy feelers
20-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Look forward to the book! Bring back memories!

bestperch
20-07-2015, 09:04 PM
The book would be great and bring back a lot of memories of following the Palace around the country in times when as long as everybody had a good laugh the result didn't seem to matter so much. One thing though mate, can't believe you ever did an away game for 30 quid. Remember the size of those beer towers !

Dorking .Eagle
21-07-2015, 05:20 AM
It was a great time to just be a Palace fan. Looking back at the regular trips in those days, places like Luton, Swindon, Grimsby, Barnsley, Southend, Portsmouth etc the Palace football map has changed a lot since then.

Usually pay on the day (unless someone getting off the team coach dished out a pile of free tickets), no HF leading the singing, but all the regulars knew each other even across the generations. Good times.

Palacemad2002
21-07-2015, 05:41 AM
OMP was always a cracking read, especially as i was only a young kid at the time so it gave me a great insight in to the adult world of being a Palace fan, especially the away day write ups in one more pint. I never bothered buying any other fanzine, it was either OMP or bust. The original HF members who started the group 10 years ago used to buy it as kids too and there was definitely some inspiration and influence taken from the pages.

I remember being inspired to write a fanzine for Reading Festival one year and e-mailing you for some advice which you kindle provided a long with a suggested printers to use over Sutton way!

Grim Reaper
21-07-2015, 12:35 PM
I remember being inspired to write a fanzine for Reading Festival one year and e-mailing you for some advice which you kindle provided a long with a suggested printers to use over Sutton way!

Thanks for the kind words. Was Mike able to help with the printing?

Nice to know OMP inspired the next generation in the way EE inspired me.

I've always referred to EE as the daddy of Palace fanzines but it's official - EE is now the GRANDAD of Palace fanzines :p

Grim Reaper
21-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Did anyone on here ever buy the Eastern Eagles cassette made from the away end at Highbury? Was it 3.50 or am I dreaming that price? Would love a bit of detail surrounding - worthy of a couple of paragraphs as one of the more original methods of fans creating income streams.

Ninjas Headband
21-07-2015, 01:18 PM
More than happy to contribute the odd picture or even if I got my arse into gear a cartoon.

Would be good to get the likes of John, Laurie, Neil and Tony to contribute something about publishing a fanzine.

This also might inspire a few thoughts of following your team in the Eighties and early Nineties.

NWIwJhG96JQ

jaspercpfc
21-07-2015, 02:19 PM
Did anyone on here ever buy the Eastern Eagles cassette made from the away end at Highbury? Was it 3.50 or am I dreaming that price? Would love a bit of detail surrounding - worthy of a couple of paragraphs as one of the more original methods of fans creating income streams.

I remember a cassette floating around the time. Was the song entitled "We all follow the palace" if so, I vividly remember the opening line "it all started for me, in the spring of 73, cold wet and windy, the game was stoke city" The song was awful, even if the intentions were there.

Dorking .Eagle
21-07-2015, 04:49 PM
I bought that cassette, they sold hundreds I believe. Ask 'Eastern Boy' on here (Trevor Edwards), he was only online a couple of days ago.

He also did an audio tape of Chelsea-Palace 1976. Literally just the audio taped off the tv (The Big Match) back in the 70s!! Jimmy Hill condemning the kung fu kicks in the stands as they replayed them in slow motion

Palacemad2002
21-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Was Mike able to help with the printing?

Nice to know OMP inspired the next generation in the way EE inspired me.

I've always referred to EE as the daddy of Palace fanzines but it's official - EE is now the GRANDAD of Palace fanzines :p

Yeah he was most helpful but i had saved the content under the wrong format and could never get it printed in time for the festival! If only it was now when you could literally ping things over via the web within seconds. :(

King William
21-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Sums it up nicely. I'll take that analogy.

The One More Pint section was tricky in a way. It was generally the only part that people would moan about when buying a copy from me

'Hope there's not too much drinking stuff in there this time mate'
'No, no. I've cut it back this time, sir"

(Translated as - it's gone from 4 pages to 5 but I'm hoping you're not keeping count)

On the flip side every single year it won 'Article of the Year' and was also the most loved section when talking to fans in general, hence the Men Behaving Badly comparison is pretty accurate.

The one more pint was the best part!

Eastern Boy
21-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Hi Cris, this is a bit of a fanzine love-in!

Like the idea of what you're doing and good luck to you.

Yes I did the infamous Highbury tape and the "It had to happen-76 cup run.

Other merchandise included t-shirts, sweat shirts and ski hats (I still have a couple of the latter) but as for the dissenter of "We all follow the Palace" ( I had a chest infection at the time!), we sold 1000 cassettes and then got a 1500 advance to go onto the "Glad All Over CD, which we ploughed back into funding games/petrol etc, earlier this year, 20 years on from the record I still get royalties!

Some of the Palace Echo guys may recall our public spat over the record!!

It also got banned from the Club shop over an article about the cheerleaders following protests from parents!

Grim Reaper
21-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Hi Trev

Was going to contact you. I had no idea you sold 1000 cassettes (people under 20 years reading this are asking "what's a cassette?" )

I remember one time in Eastern Eagles when you'd sold 85 and I was quite impressed even at that number, given when you did it I'm guessing you had very little idea how it would be received.

Do you remember the 'controversy' when Croydon Advertiser designated Eastern Eagles the 'official' Palace fanzine?

That made me laugh - who even made that decision?

And I think you'll agree, the word 'official' was completely against what fanzines were about. Club programmes were the 'official' stuff - fanzines were for everything else!

Great to hear from you mate. If you fancy dusting off your word processor and putting an article together on Word Perfect for me that'd be great! :p

Grim Reaper
21-07-2015, 07:49 PM
then got a 1500 advance to go onto the "Glad All Over CD, which we ploughed back into funding games/petrol etc, earlier this year, 20 years on from the record I still get royalties!

Some of the Palace Echo guys may recall our public spat over the record!!

Seriously would like to know the full story of this one. Are you able to live on the royalties like Noddy Holder does with 'Here it is Merry Christmas'? ;)

Penge Eagle
21-07-2015, 09:00 PM
It was Eagle Eye, One More Point and Eastern Eagles that inspired me to create an online fanzine back 1999 when the internet started to kick off - The Holmesdale Online. I provided the content and Guntrisoft did the technical side and the HOL was born! I really look forward to the OMP book Cris. :p And I too bought that Eastern Eagles cassette tape - it was brilliant!

Grim Reaper
21-07-2015, 10:16 PM
It was Eagle Eye, One More Point and Eastern Eagles that inspired me to create an online fanzine back 1999 when the internet started to kick off - The Holmesdale Online. I provided the content and Guntrisoft did the technical side and the HOL was born! I really look forward to the OMP book Cris. :p And I too bought that Eastern Eagles cassette tape - it was brilliant!

Ha - you can do the book (e-book? audio book?) that covers football in the digital age. This one's about paper, glue, typewriters and scissors! And Palace of course.

Starting in 1999, I'm guessing you were among the early football websites. Which came first - BBS or HOL?

colonel
21-07-2015, 11:05 PM
I loved Eagle Eye. My favourite was the one produced after Villa Park in 1990 but another memory was taking 3 hours to come back from 'popping down the road' to Addiscombe to buy the latest edition. I'd only just passed my driving test and when the newsagent in Addiscombe didn't have one I thought I'd drive to a paper shop in Selhurst where I knew there would be one. Got one and headed home, happy as Larry, only to get stuck in one of those side roads down the back of the Arthur/Holmesdale on the way to Selhurst station (Winter Road?) 3 hours later and the road is still gridlocked. This is in the days before mobile phones and I couldn't leave the car to find a phone box to call home. Anyway I eventually get home and the parents had called the police and reported me missing.
Think EE used to sell in the big bookshop up the top in the Whitgift Centre too.
Recently moved house and argued again with the wife about why I needed to keep my old copies.
Life was great then - the excitement of ANY Palace making the news. Now it's transfer rumours on Sky Sports wall to wall.
Good luck with the book GR

Grim Reaper
22-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Life was great then - the excitement of ANY Palace making the news. GR

And that was it. It really was a big deal. I remember the first time I heard Geoff Thomas on Capital Radio (Capital Gold started later that year and that really pushed things along.) It was a 10 second soundbite as part of a sports round up but suddenly my main man had a voice.

Random*
22-07-2015, 12:18 PM
paper, glue, typewriters and scissors! And Palace of course.

Reads like a title to me.

Ninjas Headband
22-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Don't forget the Letraset!

cranesparkeagle
22-07-2015, 12:52 PM

My abiding memory.
Crystal Palace, 90 years to get into Europe, 90 minutes to get out again

Eastern Boy
22-07-2015, 04:45 PM
Hi cris; reckon I can dust off the keyboard and put something to paper for you, perhaps on the subjects mentioned. I recall someone mentioning what the advertiser said about the eastern eagles but not living in the area I never got to see the comments and it certainly never came from us!

Not sure why they would have said that as we were certainly independent of the club and made some harsh judgments. Might have been because we sold in the club shop and I often wrote to the club to secure interviews e.g. Coppell when manager and of course Ron noades..

Re the young cheerleaders at the time I believe the offending comment was "are they brought onto the pitch to make the players look good! ".

Eagle eye was without doubt the best and were very helpful to me in getting the eastern eagles fanzine off the ground re advice etc

Grim Reaper
22-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Don't forget the Letraset!

Ha ha. Been trying to remember the name of the 'transfers' that gave me the font for the price on the front cover for the first two years. Great timing on your part!! :p

Grim Reaper
22-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Eagle eye was without doubt the best and were very helpful to me in getting the eastern eagles fanzine off the ground re advice etc

I was actually scared to approach those guys even though I wanted to - didn't want them to tell me to do one!

First time I spoke to John Ellis selling Issue 1 and he was nice as pie. Turns out they would have been supportive after all!

Grim Reaper
22-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Did anyone ever see or buy Sick Over a Parrot ??? General south London fanzine IIRC

Ruskin Old Boy
22-07-2015, 07:59 PM
Did anyone ever see or buy Sick Over a Parrot ??? General south London fanzine IIRC

Was that around in the early 1990s?

If so, the British Library, my old place of work, has copies. Published out of an address in Catford.

HRS
22-07-2015, 08:23 PM
The OMP issue that I always remember was the one that came out around the time the shit hot the fan with Mark Goldberg. I could be wrong but pretty sure I bought it at Watford away. The issue was a lot more serious than usual and at a time when social media was non existent and online football message boards where very much in their infancy i think it helped to put across to people how much trouble we were in.

Like some others have said I started reading during my school days and it just doesn't seem possible that it was so long ago or how much the club and the game have changed.

ANDY FROM BR1
22-07-2015, 08:30 PM

If so, the British Library, my old place of work, has copies. Published out of an address in Catford.

That would be it. It was knocked out by the same guys that wrote Millwall fanzine The Lion Roars.

From memory it was more an attempt at a football comic. Like Viz, but not!!

Ninjas Headband
22-07-2015, 08:39 PM
!Did anyone ever see or buy Sick Over a Parrot ??? General south London fanzine IIRC

I did a couple of cartoons for it during it's first couple of issues. Thought it was pretty poor, run by a Millwall fan who thought an alternative football comic would a bit of an earner. Back in those day's there were a lot of Viz rip offs.

Grim Reaper
22-07-2015, 09:10 PM

I bought Issue 3 in 1989, ahead of the QPR game. Was the only time I saw it. But Catford sounds right. I got to know those guys years after they'd finished it and a couple of them were from Catford. Annoyingly I've texted one of the writers tonight but he barely remembers doing it or how many issues there were.

Anyone remember buying an Issue 4, 5 or 6?

Grim Reaper
22-07-2015, 09:15 PM
My abiding memory.
Crystal Palace, 90 years to get into Europe, 90 minutes to get out again

Issue 26 - my favourite cover

Pleased you picked that cover out :)

Grim Reaper
22-07-2015, 09:16 PM
!

I did a couple of cartoons for it during it's first couple of issues. Thought it was pretty poor, run by a Millwall fan who thought an alternative football comic would a bit of an earner. Back in those day's there were a lot of Viz rip offs.

I recall a character called Beryl Lovett? Did you draw her?

And who was Winston Kadogo? His Subbeto childhood was funny

Ninjas Headband
22-07-2015, 10:02 PM
I honestly can't remember what cartoons I drew for them or even if they were published. Until you mentioned 'Sick over a Parrot', I'd completely forgotten about the publication. Think it was because it didn't feel like a fanzine to me. 'Zines were for putting into print the things that weren't being said by the mainstream media and what you loved and wanted to share with others who had the same passion.

In the mid Eighties football fans were ridiculed by the press and society in general and had no means of responding. I was 16 at the time and people would question why I would want to go to a game and my motives as if you were some kind of hooligan. We all knew that there were massive issues within the game about policing and safe stadia but no one was talking about them, not least the media with the only TV show about football being Saint & Greavsie which would make Talksport seem high brow by comparison today.

The humour of that programme was pathetic and didn't reflect the great humour and insight on the terrace. At the time I was aware of punk and music 'zines and so was blown away when a Palace fanzine in the form of Eagle Eye came along in '87 and wanted to get involved. The best thing about it was meeting up in a West End pub to stick it all together and fill in the gaps with crap jokes or other bollox made up after a few beers which for me was the essence of a football fanzine, sharing your views and a laugh with your mates as well as the creative process to share with other like minded people.

Making money was never a consideration with any money made ploughed back into funding the gallon displays of the day or other supporter activities.

eagle mart
22-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Good to see you about Cris. You called me Mark for years, when my name was actually Mart.

Spud used to make me laugh, got so drunk at one away game he slept all through it and you all drew over his face. You selling champions t-shirts at Ayresome Park before we were actually champions - among others. McHardy climbing the lamppost at the Duke of York before the Play-off final. Good times.

Hope you haven't picked up an accent. up there.

Grim Reaper
23-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Spud used to make me laugh, got so drunk at one away game he slept all through it and you all drew over his face. .

It was more than once :p I'm saving these stories for the book. :D

Grim Reaper
23-07-2015, 05:50 AM
Good to see you about Cris. You called me Mark for years, when my name was actually Mart.

Me: Why did he call you Mart?
You: Because that's my name
Me: No it's not!

:clown::clown::clown::clown:

Not my finest moment....and I was sober!

Penge Eagle
24-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Is there YouTube footage of the documentary feature on Eagle Eye?

Grim Reaper
24-07-2015, 11:18 AM
I spent a while looking for it on Sunday but no joy. Only one of those Club Shows seems to the Wimbledon one.

I probably have it on VHS somewhere but Lord knows which of the 30-40 tapes I still have that it's on.

One of these days I'll get round to watching us win at Tranmere to go top of the league for Christmas 93. Bit random but is one of my favourite ever trips. Just got to find the bleeding right cassette.

Grim Reaper
27-07-2015, 05:49 PM
One thing though mate, can't believe you ever did an away game for 30 quid. Remember the size of those beer towers !

30 was for a typical 1994 trip (lots of Midlands teams that year)

7 match ticket
14 train (good old specials from Euston)
5 beers at 1.50 each on average
1.50 - a pie would count as two meals i.e. late breakfast and dinner!

And Palace won the division. What more could you ask for! :lux:

Beer towers kicked in a few years later and yes, the 30 went out the window once that era started. ;)

Grim Reaper
28-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Do football specials (trains and the cheap tickets available to ride on them) still exist?

I'm just in the process of writing about these in the past tense and it occurred to me they may still exist

Grim Reaper
22-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Do football specials (trains and the cheap tickets available to ride on them) still exist?

I'm just in the process of writing about these in the past tense and it occurred to me they may still exist

Anyone??

Grim Reaper
22-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Straw poll - did you buy.....

fanzine AND a programme most of the time?
fanzine only?
programme only?
both occasionally depending on money in your pocket/mood you were in?

jaspercpfc
23-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Straw poll - did you buy.....

fanzine AND a programme most of the time?
fanzine only?
programme only?
both occasionally depending on money in your pocket/mood you were in?

when I was you younger (early 90's) Programme & Fanzine, now I'd only occasionally buy a fanzine.

Dorking .Eagle
23-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Always used to buy both all the time. Now I'm older just a programme. I'd buy Eagle Eye/Palace Echo every issue if it was still going as they were head and shoulders above anything else.

Of the current fanzines I find FYP tries too hard (ie bit too serious much of the time), Flying High is more humerous (it has Brolins Hoover for example), but in the main fanzines are more in tune with the younger generation anyway

GrthTylrGiraffe
23-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Glue, scissors, paper and letraset bring back memories of smudged fingers when helping out (as PS) with the cartoons for EE and PE and creating the little known Gareth Taylor Giraffe fanzine with its occassional limited print run of 5 copies

Neil the Eagle
23-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Loved GTG. Is it still going, mate?

GrthTylrGiraffe
23-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Loved GTG. Is it still going, mate?

Thanks Neil. I've been nagged by other members of the readership (well three of them) for another issue so maybe this Xmas (but I probably told them that last year...)

Grim Reaper
24-08-2015, 07:09 AM
the little known Gareth Taylor Giraffe fanzine with its occassional limited print run of 5 copies

What? Who? Why Where? When?

Love it - still learning about new fanzines after all these years. Please tell me more. I had no clue of this one.

Something even more obscure than Suffer Little Children (;) in Neil's direction!)

Neil the Eagle
24-08-2015, 08:38 AM
24 Minutes from Tulse Hill was probably the most obscure, lasted 4 issues in Autumn 2009.

Conceived after a drunken night out in the German bar in Vauxhall. Written, printed and distributed entirely on a matchday morning. Copies are still available online somewhere.

GrthTylrGiraffe
24-08-2015, 09:46 PM
What? Who? Why Where? When?

Love it - still learning about new fanzines after all these years. Please tell me more. I had no clue of this one.

Something even more obscure than Suffer Little Children (;) in Neil's direction!)

After Palace Echo finished in the summer of 2007 my girlfriend - and fellow Palace fan - said I should start my own fanzine. When asked what it should be called she suggested Gareth Taylor Giraffe (her favourite player - really - along with his resemblance to a giraffe). So as I surprise I produced (paper, scissors, glue and letraset - old school!) a one off edition as a Xmas present in 2007 (rest assured I did buy her some other gifts) with a limited print (photocopier) run of seven copies. What was a one-off became an occasional thing (with summer and Xmas issues) up until the last issue in Xmas 2010 (I couldn't believe it was that long ago until I just dug them out). Been rather busy at work since then (!) but maybe an issue on its eighth anniversary is due!

The Pork Bolter
24-08-2015, 10:56 PM
Anyone??

I read somewhere a few weeks ago that Virgin Trains East Coast were setting something up for Newcastle and Sunderland supporters where they gave group discounts and the validity of the tickets could be changed if the game was switched to Sky/BT. It wasn't particulary a football special train as such but the offers were for those ging to football.As theres loads of games in London I guess that is the market they are seeking.

Dorking .Eagle
25-08-2015, 07:08 AM
I'm sure about 20/25 years ago I used to get a fanzine called Football Utopia. A bit like South London Press but a fanzine it covered all south London teams, even Dulwich Hamlet and Croydon.

And at one Palace game something with rude pictures of Dickie Davies in it, but it may have been an away fanzine (possibly Lincoln's Deranged Ferret?)

In those days you used to just buy any effort going if you came across it, as there was a mix of a genuine attempt at humour and informative stuff written of course by fans. King of the Kippax was always very good, along the same lines as EE.

King William
25-08-2015, 07:16 AM
Yes, I've got a utopia one somewhere.

Grim Reaper
25-08-2015, 09:43 AM
After Palace Echo finished in the summer of 2007 my girlfriend - and fellow Palace fan - said I should start my own fanzine. When asked what it should be called she suggested Gareth Taylor Giraffe (her favourite player - really - along with his resemblance to a giraffe). So as I surprise I produced (paper, scissors, glue and letraset - old school!) a one off edition as a Xmas present in 2007 (rest assured I did buy her some other gifts) with a limited print (photocopier) run of seven copies. What was a one-off became an occasional thing (with summer and Xmas issues) up until the last issue in Xmas 2010 (I couldn't believe it was that long ago until I just dug them out). Been rather busy at work since then (!) but maybe an issue on its eighth anniversary is due!

My God. Great stuff. So it seems Palace are at least into double figures for fanzines. I'm thinking we're up to at least 12-ish

Seems my plans to end the book in 2003 will leave the story very much incomplete.

Grim Reaper
25-08-2015, 09:46 AM
King of the Kippax was always very good, along the same lines as EE.

KK was the most wordy fanzine ever. I had a swap agreement with one of the writers. You felt like you'd completed a major task just getting through it cover to cover.

Herculean effort to produce that much content every month.

Also amazed me just how many localised supporters groups City had - the only Palace one I ever knew of back then was Eastern Eagles and the Norwegian group. Were there others?

Grim Reaper
25-08-2015, 09:48 AM
24 Minutes from Tulse Hill was probably the most obscure, lasted 4 issues in Autumn 2009.

Conceived after a drunken night out in the German bar in Vauxhall. Written, printed and distributed entirely on a matchday morning. Copies are still available online somewhere.

Brilliant. Sometimes you think of a name and just have to do the fanzine to not let the name go to waste.

Much like my own Eagle Aye, a Palace fanzine based on the north, which lasted all of one issue (plus as a section in an early FYP) in Feb 2004. Just had the name and had to write a fanzine. Anyone still got one of those - only 150 copies ever made

CK
25-08-2015, 10:00 AM

I remember some anonymous bloke distributing it that day:p

Dorking .Eagle
25-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Also amazed me just how many localised supporters groups City had - the only Palace one I ever knew of back then was Eastern Eagles and the Norwegian group. Were there others?

In terms of 'active support' groups then I guess Ronn Gadd has been rounding up as many West Country fans as possible for years.

Eagle Ali did have a group of Essex Eagles that did minibuses to away games. There's now a handful in Scotland and groups in Australia who meet whenever Palace are on tv to watch it together in a pub somewhere near them

Not 'regional' but there have always been supporters groups that have done trips 'as a group' - PIST club, Danny's various pubs over the years, even a group of us that had its roots back in the late 80s original 'Family enclosure'.

Grim Reaper
27-08-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm sure about 20/25 years ago I used to get a fanzine called Football Utopia. A bit like South London Press but a fanzine it covered all south London teams, even Dulwich Hamlet and Croydon.

Think I bought it once - had Tom Watt (Lofty from Eastenders) pictured in every London club shirt and pulling a face depending on how much he liked/hated each team. For Spurs he had a paper bag on his head. As for Palace think he was so-so.

THis has also reminded me of one covering south east London (Palace/Charlton/Millwall) and even inc the likes of Welling Utd. Anyone remember the title of this one.

orp pisshead1
28-08-2015, 09:18 AM
KK was the most wordy fanzine ever. I had a swap agreement with one of the writers. You felt like you'd completed a major task just getting through it cover to cover.

Herculean effort to produce that much content every month.

Morning Chris , do you remember the excellent WBA Grorty Dick fanzine? (named after a 200 yo cassarole dish iircc). In there they were always advertising hordes of regional baggies branches who had monthly meetings at pubs or halls & always had an ex player at said meetings. Was bit jealous we didn't have similar thing in Kent , Surrey , Sussex & further afield .

Grim Reaper
30-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Grorty Dick - another great fanzine and one I bought regularly at Sportspages back in the 90s.

The ability to get ex-players to attend was always pretty impressive.

To be fair, you Orpington Pissheads attempted to get your group pretty organised. Didn't you vote Nigel Martyn player of the year and then go round his house to present him with a trophy....or am I imaginging that!?

orp pisshead1
31-08-2015, 03:31 AM
Grorty Dick - another great fanzine and one I bought regularly at Sportspages back in the 90s.

The ability to get ex-players to attend was always pretty impressive.

To be fair, you Orpington Pissheads attempted to get your group pretty organised. Didn't you vote Nigel Martyn player of the year and then go round his house to present him with a trophy....or am I imaginging that!?

Yes as it was Chris Armstrong :D:lux:
He wasn't in:sob:
But he came down the Pub for a Charity night for our keeper who broke his leg & what a top bloke was only meant to be there for bout an hour but ended up getting a cab home:lux: another proper Orp pisshead.

orp pisshead1
31-08-2015, 03:32 AM
As for name of your book what about FFS Palace :).

Grim Reaper
31-08-2015, 03:20 PM
As for name of your book what about FFS Palace :).

It's now on the list of 'potentials' :p

Baffled Bob 2
31-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Never read it but I always liked the sound of "Dial M for Merthyr"

orp pisshead1
01-09-2015, 12:35 AM
It's now on the list of 'potentials' :p

Cheers buddy:p.

orp pisshead1
01-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Never read it but I always liked the sound of "Dial M for Merthyr"

Clever name that.

Grim Reaper
03-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Clever name that.

24 years on and I've just got the joke of that name!!! :clown:

Grim Reaper
12-09-2015, 09:09 AM
One More Point's birthday today.

On that occasion it rained all day, Palace won to rise up the table and went on to win the league.

Well, as I look out my window it's been raining all day, so that's one out of three.....

voyeur
12-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Happy Birthday OMP "still only 1" :p

Had good, if occasional, times drinking with your gang in the Cherries back in the day. Even wrote an article under name Emerald Eagle. Had to be done really.

stumpy feelers
06-11-2015, 09:51 PM
How about" win or lose we'll have a booze "

Grim Reaper
18-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Happy Birthday OMP "still only 1" :p

Had good, if occasional, times drinking with your gang in the Cherries back in the day. Even wrote an article under name Emerald Eagle. Had to be done really.

I remember that era and your article.

(Only taken me three months to respond!)

After 15000 words written in two months, everything was put on hold (darn life always getting in the way!) but the book starts again today.

The good news is at the point I'm at Palace are about to go top of the league. :lux:

Grim Reaper
18-12-2015, 10:22 AM
How about" win or lose we'll have a booze "

Not bad. :D The more I think about it, that'd make a great T-shirt!! :p

Grim Reaper
08-01-2016, 10:40 PM
Just as an update, I passed the 20000 word mark last night (and still only covered the first 3 issues out of 60!!) That said, this book is not solely about One More Point but fanzines and football throughout the 90s. The impact of the daddy of all Palace fanzines, Eagle Eye, is covered a fair chunk early on. Here's an excerpt which will hopefully spark off some nostalgia. Please do contribute any memories you have of the 1989-2003 era - its amazing how many recollections have appeared from my Facebook postings lately, so I'll be delighted if you have anything else that can be included

"As I went to more and more home games, part of the day out became about looking for Eagle Eye. There was no internet to advertise when they’d be on sale. It was just pot luck but then on those days when there’d be a salesman on the grassy knoll opposite the chippy on Whitehorse Lane, you knew it’d be a good day, win, lose or draw. Frustrating draw versus Sheffield Wednesday? Not to worry, EE will entertain me on the two hour journey home. And it really did – you’d have the gallows humour surrounding the recent defeats coupled with the glory of re-reading about the wins and some well-meaning wag would write in the Letters page that ‘Palace just need a creative midfielder and we’ll be Top 6’ and the world would be a great place once again.

It didn’t matter that Palace were flirting with relegation during that 1990 season because the humour in Eagle Eye made the defeats fun. The timing couldn’t have been better to counteract the infamous 9-0 loss to Liverpool on 12th September 1989. The ninth issue of EE hit the streets soon afterwards with the cover proudly stating ‘Issue 9 Palace 0.’ Genius! The previous year Gillingham had sacked their manager after a 6-0 defeat (OK, losing to Aldershot is different to Liverpool) – whereas at Palace a defeat 50% bigger than that had the resilient red and blue army supporting the players and manager more than ever!

And just as a footnote to that was the follow-up in the next three matches. As a kid I bought a book from a jumble sale that was packed with ancient football trivia. My favourite snippet was the one from decades previously about Middlesbrough once losing 9-0 and fielding the same eleven players the following week. Who in their right mind would ever do that? No club would surely ever do such a strange thing ever again. Palace bettered it by fielding the exact same eleven four days later.

But, such was the spirit in SE25, that team, who’d been ridiculed nationally since Tuesday night, ground out a 1-1 draw at Southampton and backed it up with consecutive wins against Forest and Everton to let the First Division know that we weren’t just around to make up the numbers."

Grim Reaper
14-01-2016, 08:44 AM
25000 word mark now been passed. Looking to get this finished by the end of February. 1000 words a day should do the trick.

Two subjects I want to cover in the next couple of chapters are:-

1. How did the loss of Holmesdale Terrace and subsequently heft price rise affect you? Could you even afford to go (from 9 in 1994 to 18+ in 1995 - it was a fat rise)

2. The biggest news story was the whole Cantona debacle. What are your recollections of this? Do you remember the fanzines' coverage (Echo/OMP/Eastern Eagles) ? My own recollection is that Eastern Eagles actually stepped up and did the best article on this. Wouldn't mind reading that again - probably the best single article Eastern Eagles ever did. It was impressve.

stumpy feelers
14-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Looking forward to it mate, available on kindle?

Penge Eagle
14-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Juts out of interest, what years did each of the fanzines run?

From Suffer Little Children onwards...

Pistol Knight
14-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Eagle Eye was just THE BEST

jaspercpfc
14-01-2016, 09:51 PM

we were blessed with some fine fanzines at that time.

25000 word mark now been passed. Looking to get this finished by the end of February. 1000 words a day should do the trick.

Two subjects I want to cover in the next couple of chapters are:-

1. How did the loss of Holmesdale Terrace and subsequently heft price rise affect you? Could you even afford to go (from 9 in 1994 to 18+ in 1995 - it was a fat rise)

2. The biggest news story was the whole Cantona debacle. What are your recollections of this? Do you remember the fanzines' coverage (Echo/OMP/Eastern Eagles) ? My own recollection is that Eastern Eagles actually stepped up and did the best article on this. Wouldn't mind reading that again - probably the best single article Eastern Eagles ever did. It was impressve.

1 - I was 14, and Noades didn't offer kids/subsidised tickets in 94/95, so I was left to pay 18 a game (this was 20 years ago!) Where in 93/94 I could pay 5 and jump on the terrace with my mates, that immediately went out the window. Gone were the days where we all went to a game together. Most of my school mates who weren't necessarily Palace fans opted to watch Wimbledon for a 1/3 of the price.
I only managed to do 7-8 home games as a result, but then for the 95/96 campaign I purchased a junior season ticket for 60 in the LH. The younger fans really lost out during the 94/95 campaign.

2 - I'll expand on my brief reply in the coming days. For me, he should never have been aloud to play football again. 94/95 was ridiculed with controversy, Merson/Armstrong drug scandals, George Graham and the bungs, and then this. For me, Paddy Crerand emerged as the real tosser from the fall out
The likes of fantasy football (which was massive at the time) did exactly what we expected from the incident, and made a mockery of it, with Statto replicating the incident in the opening credits. I remember the guests they had on that week included a certain Nick Hancock, and he was so patronising and smug.

Dorking .Eagle
15-01-2016, 06:37 AM

By sheer luck I got a season ticket in the Whitehorse, was only 100 for the 94/95 season. A lot of Holmesdale regulars were excluded simply because of the limited capacity (3 sided ground) rather than the price hike. A season ticket was essential

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 08:23 AM

It was. Simple as that and while this book has been semi-labelled the OMP book, I spent quite a bit at the start writing about Eagle Eye as well as the whole fanzine scene in 1989-1993. Simply brilliant.

In fact, I'm still trying to think of a title that reflects this.

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Looking forward to it mate, available on kindle?

I've looked into all this malarkey. Not something I'd thought of back in July when this started but I will certainly be going down that route thanks to advice from James who authored The Palace Addiction. :p

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 08:34 AM
2 - I'll expand on my brief reply in the coming days. For me, he should never have been aloud to play football again. 94/95 was ridiculed with controversy, Merson/Armstrong drug scandals, George Graham and the bungs, and then this. For me, Paddy Crerand emerged as the real tosser from the fall out
The likes of fantasy football (which was massive at the time) did exactly what we expected from the incident, and made a mockery of it, with Statto replicating the incident in the opening credits. I remember the guests they had on that week included a certain Nick Hancock, and he was so patronising and smug.

Thanks - didn't know about the Nick Hancock part. I'll try and find that.

I've still got several newspapers from that week. What was fascinating is that after The Sun won the bidding to get the interview from Matt Simmonds, every other paper then changed its angle to 'Cantona's a martyr' 'Simmonds is racist.'

I ended up doing a Radio 1 Newsbeat interview and boy did I get stitched up on there. That'll be going in the book.

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 08:36 AM
By sheer luck I got a season ticket in the Whitehorse, was only 100 for the 94/95 season.

Similar story - I got lucky and ended up in the Whitehorse. Didn't feel very lucky after the 1-6 v Liverpool though!

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 12:55 PM
For me, Paddy Crerand emerged as the real tosser from the fall out

I always felt Ferguson was the real tosser (gagging Richard Shaw FFS!!) but I'm always happy to hear alternative views. What did Paddy Crerand do?

eagle mart
15-01-2016, 01:18 PM
What did Paddy Crerand do?

Stoked up the flames before the FA Cup Semi final, whipping their fans up into a froth. And out for revenge.

Big Fella
15-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Stoked up the flames before the FA Cup Semi final, whipping their fans up into a froth. And out for revenge.

Think he was on every media outlet for the week before. TV, radio, there he was stoking the fire. It lead to THE most unpleasant match I have been to.

Maidstoned Eagle
15-01-2016, 02:06 PM
It wasnt just Crerand, that twit who "discovered" Joy Division and all that Manchester stuff, Tony Wilson, made some ridiculous comments re Croydon and it's residents.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-10970.html

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Cheers Maidstoned - just had a trip down Memory Lane reading that thread. Had no knowledge of that programme being broadcast in 2001 - that said, it came at a time when my own life was in something of a controlled turmoil, so at lot that summer in 2001 passed me by as far as TV was concerned.

Tom's Old Man
15-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Think he was on every media outlet for the week before. TV, radio, there he was stoking the fire. It lead to THE most unpleasant match I have been to.
Weeks before. I remember travelling up to Forest for our FA Cup tie, 4th round I think, he was tearing into Palace on the radio big time. Out and out wanker. My despise for that club soared in 1995.

King William
15-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Thanks - didn't know about the Nick Hancock part. I'll try and find that.

I've still got several newspapers from that week. What was fascinating is that after The Sun won the bidding to get the interview from Matt Simmonds, every other paper then changed its angle to 'Cantona's a martyr' 'Simmonds is racist.'

I ended up doing a Radio 1 Newsbeat interview and boy did I get stitched up on there. That'll be going in the book.

I was in the public gallery along with a few other palace. Quoted in a few Nationals, got the clippings somewhere

Grim Reaper
15-01-2016, 10:34 PM
As in gallery at court? What was that like? Would love to hear about that. It was funny reading the Sunday papers on the way back from the Forest game 4 days afterwards and opening up a 2 page spread in one of the papers and seeing a number of people I knew off the Holmesdale and from away games all chipping in with comments.

King William
16-01-2016, 06:43 AM
Yes the gallery upstairs. Was directly above Andy Cole.... Who from downstairs was beckoning to meet me outside....whilst the hearing was going on

Ninjas Headband
16-01-2016, 08:08 AM
I like to think that I'm a laid-back, caring & kind person. One of the few things that really gets my blood boiling though is the whole Cantona episode especially the way MUFC spun it and the way the media lapped it up. C****, the lot of them.

I see football rivalries as part of the joy of supporting a club.
My hate for Brighton is Panto villain stuff.
My hate for the Wankers is fuelled by disgust.

Grim Reaper
16-01-2016, 11:35 AM
It certainly sickened me to see him appear in Nike adverts as a martyr,

"HE'S BEEN PUNISHED FOR HIS MISTAKES. NOW IT'S SOMEONE ELSE'S TURN" was one billboard campaign at the time.

Another TV advert I recall was a general one against racism and violence and Cantona saying to the screen 'I know that it is wrong' If you know it's wrong Eric, why the hell did you do it???

And don't forget, his lashing out at Shaw and kicking Simmons was the third or fourth high profile vicious thing he'd done at United. His stamping on a Swindon player's chest was arguably the worst of the lot, given the guy was on the floor

Grim Reaper
18-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Yes the gallery upstairs. Was directly above Andy Cole.... Who from downstairs was beckoning to meet me outside..

What a fine individual Cole was!! :clown:

orp pisshead1
23-01-2016, 12:25 AM
I always felt Ferguson was the real tosser (gagging Richard Shaw FFS!!) but I'm always happy to hear alternative views. What did Paddy Crerand do?

Blimey how did red nose do that? What a ****:veryangry.

orp pisshead1
23-01-2016, 12:27 AM
I like to think that I'm a laid-back, caring & kind person. One of the few things that really gets my blood boiling though is the whole Cantona episode especially the way MUFC spun it and the way the media lapped it up. C****, the lot of them.

I see football rivalries as part of the joy of supporting a club.
My hate for Brighton is Panto villain stuff.
My hate for the Wankers is fuelled by disgust.

Mate for you to post that shows how bad that all was. Bad night with awful consequences . Hated the wankers a bit before that but have detested them ever since.

Grim Reaper
24-01-2016, 07:45 PM
Blimey how did red nose do that? What a ****:veryangry.

Can't remember the specifics but it was along the lines of him contacting CPFC and requesting Shaw not speak to the media.

The Eastern Eagles article in 1995 about the whole saga covered it very well.

jaspercpfc
26-01-2016, 08:50 AM
When are you planning to release this Cris? I think the last OMP you produced was a special issue for the Sheffield United away game 2003'?

Grim Reaper
27-01-2016, 06:52 PM
When are you planning to release this Cris? I think the last OMP you produced was a special issue for the Sheffield United away game 2003'?

Sort of well remembered. That Sheff Utd game in Feb 2004 was a one off I produced called Eagle Aye - one of things where I had the urge and a few ideas to produce a Palace fanzine with a northern slant in both title and articles. Think of that as a recovered alcoholic who has one final drink just for the taste of it, knowing he's going to lay off the booze thereafter!

Who knows, if this book transforms me into the 21st century Nick Hornby, those 120 issues could collectors items if any still exist.

Only fanzine to bypass staples and come in its own plastic wallet!

Grim Reaper
27-01-2016, 06:53 PM
As for the release date, I'm certainly looking to get it sorted during the spring

orp pisshead1
27-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Sort of well remembered. That Sheff Utd game in Feb 2004 was a one off I produced called Eagle Aye - one of things where I had the urge and a few ideas to produce a Palace fanzine with a northern slant in both title and articles. Think of that as a recovered alcoholic who has one final drink just for the taste of it, knowing he's going to lay off the booze thereafter!

Who knows, if this book transforms me into the 21st century Nick Hornby, those 120 issues could collectors items if any still exist.

Our Scottish clan would like fanzine Chris :D though modern day version would have to incl crazy eBay stop offs on way to game.

orp pisshead1
27-01-2016, 07:11 PM
As for the release date, I'm certainly looking to get it sorted during the spring

Oh March then:lux::D

Selhurst300
27-01-2016, 07:24 PM

Kind of remember meeting you at that Sheff Utd game. Memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Grim Reaper
27-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Kind of remember meeting you at that Sheff Utd game. Memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Are you a friend of beastie? I remember meeting him and he introduced me to a mate.

Ironically that that issue included a pull out poster showing that NEIL WARNOCK was an anagram of COLIN W A NKER to be waved during the game. Something I'd invented when we'd lost there in 2002 in the Cup.

How was I to know he was going to end up being our manager!!??

Grim Reaper
27-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Oh March then:lux::D

You've given me an idea. I need to aim for March 16th - the 20th anniversary of the ultimate OPH/OMP piss up.

Where we dumped 150 cans in a bin in central London on the way home and I somehow sold 100 mags at half time despite not being to stand. I was propped up against the advertising hoardings and people were good enough to take a copy out of my hand and put the money in my bum bag without me having to do anything.

Up there with the top 5 hangovers I ever had.

orp pisshead1
28-01-2016, 05:34 PM
You've given me an idea. I need to aim for March 16th - the 20th anniversary of the ultimate OPH/OMP piss up.

Where we dumped 150 cans in a bin in central London on the way home and I somehow sold 100 mags at half time despite not being to stand. I was propped up against the advertising hoardings and people were good enough to take a copy out of my hand and put the money in my bum bag without me having to do anything.

Part n parcel of a OPH away day back then:D:p.
Despite being a lot older now a few years ago at Derby ( think 5-0 defeat lol) we got off train around 11.30 and emptied 70+ bottles into the bins and tried to give away the Sainsburys bags for life to some old biddies but they didn't want em so shoved them in bin too( bags not old biddies) much to the amusement of the watching plod then headed to the Brunswick:p.

3 Beers at HT
28-01-2016, 06:37 PM

Was that Grimsby away? Didn't we leave someone dead to the world in the minibus during the game?

3 beer stops on the way home!!

:hi:

cranesparkeagle
28-01-2016, 07:31 PM
I look forward to the book. I am sure the it will bring back many memories The titele I suggest is a play on the way in which we were always so near yet so far from survival in the top flight and what I judge to be an aim of the book as I read your piece. Good luck with it. Will the Club sell it or are fanzines still on the outside?
One More Point Insight

heinz 57
28-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Purely curiousity, but are you planning on getting any artwork done for the book? One of my brothers did some bits for OMP, including the One More Pint eagle, a particular favourite of mine.

Grim Reaper
29-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Wow. I assume you're talking about Andy. I've been wondering how to get back in touch with him. Would love to get him involved somehow - just been writing about the T-shirt he designed for us!

Grim Reaper
29-01-2016, 08:03 AM
Was that Grimsby away? Didn't we leave someone dead to the world in the minibus during the game?

3 beer stops on the way home!!

:hi:

I vaguely remember that npw you mention it. By rights that should have been me. More beer that day for me than any day of my life. Started with a can of Fosters poured over my cornflakes and ended with Tyson v Bruno (2nd fight.)

BY the time it was over I was the only bloke in the world in a worse state than Bruno!

Biscuitboffin
29-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Wow. I assume you're talking about Andy. I've been wondering how to get back in touch with him. Would love to get him involved somehow - just been writing about the T-shirt he designed for us!

Hello,Chris. Craig is talking about me! He just WhatsApp'd me to say you were on here. I'm looking forward to reading your book, they were such great times!

Andy.

Grim Reaper
31-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Great to hear from you Andy

Just a word of advice, when you're walking back to Leicester station - keep your scarf covered up!! Ouch!

Do you still put your artistic skills to use?

Biscuitboffin
31-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Not really, Chris. I could still do it though. You don't forget how to draw.

Speaking of Leicester and fanzines, do you remember that I got a mention in Brian Moore's Head for kissing that steward and waving at the Leicester fans? You were so drunk in that pub outside the station that I didn't think we would make it into the ground. And we had to make a pretty quick exit after you'd redecorated one of their cubicles!

Grim Reaper
01-02-2016, 07:03 AM
Not really, Chris. I could still do it though. You don't forget how to draw.

Speaking of Leicester and fanzines, do you remember that I got a mention in Brian Moore's Head for kissing that steward and waving at the Leicester fans? You were so drunk in that pub outside the station that I didn't think we would make it into the ground. And we had to make a pretty quick exit after you'd redecorated one of their cubicles!

You got in BMH? Kissed a steward? Waved at Leicester fans?

I was obviously more drunk than I thought. Don't remember any of that.

To be fair in researching this book I've found out the truth of why I got quite so wasted i.e. my drinks were spiked and the landlord thought it was hilarious.....until I threw up everywhere and he barred me from the pub. :eek:

Biscuitboffin
02-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Chris, I know some of the FYP boys. Mentioned about your book to one of them earlier and he hadn't heard about it. Any plans to use something from them? I can put you in touch if you're not already.

King William
28-08-2016, 06:11 PM
How's this progressing?

jaspercpfc
23-04-2017, 09:07 PM
How's this progressing?

been a while since this thread's been touched, just wondered how everything is developing with this?