PDA

View Full Version : Sir Peter O'Sullevan, RIP

Big Blue Eagle
29-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Amazed no one has started this thread, one of the finest ever commentators in any sport. Lived to 97 so a great innings, and it will take someone very special to replace him. Also a great campaigner for safety and welfare in racing.

Garfy
29-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Great voice and one of the all time greats of commentating. Was surprised to read he'd retired as long ago as 1997.

ExiledStirling
29-07-2015, 07:38 PM
RIP.

Excellent commentator in probably the hardest sport to commentate on.

cranesparkeagle
29-07-2015, 07:40 PM
RIP Sir Peter . A long go at the steeplechase of life

cantspell
29-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Amazed no one has started this thread, one of the finest ever commentators in any sport. Lived to 97 so a great innings, and it will take someone very special to replace him. Also a great campaigner for safety and welfare in racing.

RIP I posted on the horse racing thread but he ranks with the best of commentators alongside Richie Benaud,
If he were a horse he'd be Frankel or Arkle!

Harry Bassett
29-07-2015, 08:30 PM
When I was a kid we always had the Daily Express and even though I was not interested in Horse racing Peter O'Sullevan and a Guy named Clive Graham known as 'The Scout' were in the paper on a regular basis. Peter then went on to become a top commentator.

He enjoyed a very lengthy retirement.

Breaking rocks
29-07-2015, 09:22 PM
THE voice of racing.

R.I.P.

Duffle Coat
30-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Listened to At The Races tribute to him. He was known as 'The Voice' for a reason. I listened back to him calling home races and the years came flooding back. Got dusty eyed because I realised his voice was the backdrop to so many great memories. RIP POS and thanks for sharing your wonderful gift.