PDA

View Full Version : Deducted 10 points?

Will2024
04-08-2015, 03:15 AM
For the past year and a half i have been a cpfc fan. Being in america blocked me out of the premier league world. I just found out that back in 2010 we were deducted 10 points? Why was that and was it deserved? I just want to find more about the past of palace.

CT_Palace
04-08-2015, 03:27 AM
when the club was put into administration (similar to Chapter 11) the Football League rules at the time were for the club to receive a 10 point penalty.

Ninjas Headband
04-08-2015, 05:57 AM
At the time of the deduction we had a chance of a play-off place but with the Loss of the 10 points we were thrown into the relegation dog fight. Added to that was the sale of some key players like Fonte and Moses and the departure of the manager to a local rival.

It was the worst of seasons, it was the best of seasons as blood, sweet and tears fought to keep us safe. To me it is the season that represents what Palace is really all about, fighting the odds and turning it to your advantage. Since that season we haven't looked back as a club. My only fear is, 5 years on, fans are forgetting where we have come from and the weight of expectation could undo that spirit of supporting the team no matter what!

http://i.holmesdale.net/photogallery/photos/625/11556.jpg

Del Fenner
04-08-2015, 06:09 AM
"Going down - are we ****.
"Minus ten and we're staying up!"

Ralph
04-08-2015, 06:23 AM
As Ninjas Headband says we were pushing for the playoffs to get into the Premier League and had built quite an interesting team with starlets like Victor Moses and Nathaniel Clyne already looking Premier League class.

Then, although there had been murmurings of financial difficulty, BANG. We were in administration. Our slightly flamboyant chairman at the time had been gambling with our finances and got stung; we didn't own the ground and were paying huge rent, he'd tried to get external investment and failed and then refinanced the club through a slightly shady large scale loan shark. A culmination of factors and a general dislike of the main then pulled the rug from under him.

Moses was sold, Fonte was sold, the manager left and we had 10 pts deducted.

Unbelievably the next sequence of results meant our fate would be decided on the final game of the season away at the only other team who could go down, Sheffield Wednesday.

It effectively became a playoff between us and them, the biggest game arguably in the clubs history. And it was a belter.

1-0 to us. 1-1 - but their goalscorer broke his toe in the celebrations. 2-1 then to us after the sublime Darren Ambrose netted a belter. Before they made it 2-2. Even in the last minute we broke away, 2 against 1, surely to win it, but alas no. Stern John fluffed his lines. Nonetheless the game finished 2-2 and we were safe.

CPFC2010, then completed their takeover within weeks and the rest they say is history!

TheMexicanHorse
04-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Still probably weirdly my favourite season so far as a CP fan.

Remember arriving at the hotel in Newcastle on the Tuesday afternoon to barrage of texts to turn on sky sports news...there at the bottom was the yellow scroller "palace enter adminstration"...bugger.

We actually played well that night in Newcastle but you felt it was going to be an uncertain next 5 months
Highlights include Derby away that year and of course survival Sunday.

Then of course next came the protests outside of Selhurst and the bank the day after.

Now we have a new element of fan who bitches and moans because we don't beat Fulham/Dagenham/Dog & Duck vets team in a pre bloody season game. Maybe they should be forced to watch the season review from the last 6 months of that season...

eagle-leg
04-08-2015, 06:30 AM
As Ninjas Headband says we were pushing for the playoffs to get into the Premier League and had built quite an interesting team with starlets like Victor Moses and Nathaniel Clyne already looking Premier League class.

Then, although there had been murmurings of financial difficulty, BANG. We were in administration. Our slightly flamboyant chairman at the time had been gambling with our finances and got stung; we didn't own the ground and were paying huge rent, he'd tried to get external investment and failed and then refinanced the club through a slightly shady large scale loan shark. A culmination of factors and a general dislike of the main then pulled the rug from under him.

Unbelievably the next sequence of results meant our fate would be decided on the final game of the season away at the only other team who could go down, Sheffield Wednesday.

It effectively became a playoff between us and them, the biggest game arguably in the clubs history. And it was a belter.

1-0 to us. 1-1 - but their goalscorer broke his toe in the celebrations. 2-1 then to us after the sublime Darren Ambrose netted a belter. Before they made it 2-2. Even in the last minute we broke away, 2 against 1, surely to win it, but alas no. Stern John fluffed his lines. Nonetheless the game finished 2-2 and we were safe.

CPFC2010, then completed their takeover within weeks and the rest they say is history!

Great post. Brings it all back :lux:

palace_crystal
04-08-2015, 06:37 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palace-Addiction-Mr-James-Howland/dp/1507558740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438670167&sr=8-1&keywords=addiction+palace

The palace addiction is a fantastic book detailing this season from a fanatical supporters point of view, who went to every game home and away. Excellent nostalgia for all palace supporters and a great insight into the life of a young palace fan!

cpfc4evandeva
04-08-2015, 06:51 AM
An amazing season and the one I look back on most fondly.

Highlights in no particular order:
Ambrose
The Cup run
Watford away
Peterborough at home
Danny Butterfield's hat trick :lux:
Hillsborough :)

That final game is impossible to explain to someone who wasn't there or didn't at least watch it live on the TV. IMO there was a very positive feeling around the away end and I always thought we would do it - until Darren Purse scored with about 5 minutes to go. Then it was real panic stations.

It's the biggest what if moment in Palace history. Had Wednesday scored again, then there's a very real chance that CPFC as we know it would no longer be around.

PIE "N" MASH
04-08-2015, 06:58 AM
"Going down - are we ****.
"Minus ten and we're staying up!"
:lux::lux:

swissroll
04-08-2015, 07:29 AM
. Stern John fluffed his lines.

Probably the most disgraceful & selfish bit of play I've ever seen from a Palace player. Pass to Ambrose, empty net goal, game over.

Sheffield went straight up the other end and fortunately we defended for a corner and ref blew for FT. That could have put us out of business permanently.

Random*
04-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Vs-7Kv5Fy0M

Young Trolley
04-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Probably the most disgraceful & selfish bit of play I've ever seen from a Palace player. Pass to Ambrose, empty net goal, game over.

Sheffield went straight up the other end and fortunately we defended for a corner and ref blew for FT. That could have put us out of business permanently.

Absolutely, not to mention is was that lazy arse who couldn't be bothered to track Purse for their equaliser. In the space of a 10 minute cameo the tosser nearly undid everything with his selfish lazy play. Have never forgotten or forgiven it and never will. Could have cost us the club

CPFC_DAVE77
04-08-2015, 08:01 AM
As to whether it is deserved, well, that's a whole different debate entirely.

Duffle Coat
04-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Vs-7Kv5Fy0M

It is exactly this spirit we will need this season. :lux:

andyocpfc
04-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Yikes, I had sweaty palms just reading that! Superb analysis Ralph.

cpfcfly
04-08-2015, 08:08 AM

I'm still looking for the two blokes sat in front of me at Sheffield Wednesday who did nothing but cry before, during, and after the match. Crying with anxiety, despair, and happiness all in the space of 2 hours. Behind us we had a group of people in penguin outfits. But I will never forget 5700 Palace fans going all the way up there in the hope that we would stay up, and hardly stopped singing. When that final whistle went it was the best feeling. It's the best memory I have as a fan.

My nan knit a red and blue scarf for me on her death bed. The first game I wore it to was at Sheffield Wednesday. I've worn it at every game ever since. And the rest they say is history ;)

andyocpfc
04-08-2015, 08:09 AM
This was non Palace supporters watching the game. Think how it felt like for us

HLwypH8IRCE

Palaceboy222
04-08-2015, 08:28 AM
What a season! So much drama! So many highs, so many lows. I doubt we'll have another like it.

Going down, are we ****?
Minus ten, and we're staying up!

-Admin
-Freddy Sears' ghost goal
-atmosphere at Watford away
-Hillsbrough.
-atmosphere Derby away.
-HF05 stepping it up and the start of the We Love You chant
-Clint Hill in his boxers swinging arms.
-Ambrose scoring from 40 yards vs Villa (who were decent then)
-Butterfield's hat-trick.
-Beating Scunthorpe 2-1 in the last minute and it feeling amazing (we'd lost 4-0 at home)
-Warnock bottling it.
-Moses’ bicycle kick, and him destroying Reading.
-Freedman retiring to become our assistant manager.
-Alan Lee's headband and winning the fans over.
-hundreds of us outside Lloyds bank.
-Losing Moses and Fonte
-Jordan lying that he'd sorted the Agilo debt
-4000 at Villa, 5800 at Wednesday
-CPFC2010 riding in at the end.

NateEagle
04-08-2015, 08:36 AM
God that was a tough day!!! Brilliant watching these clips back. I'm knackered just watching them :-)

Random*
04-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Freddy Sears Ghost Goal:

nt7UXPy0vTo

stinky
04-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Vs-7Kv5Fy0M

Can't watch it. At work. Still makes me nervous. Still makes me cry.

stinky
04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
This was non Palace supporters watching the game. Think how it felt like for us

HLwypH8IRCE

I can't watch this either

sydney eagle
04-08-2015, 08:49 AM
My dad and I watched the Hillsborough game on Tele from here in Australia. We were jumping around at full time like we just won the league. What a memorable life moment. I'll never , ever forget it

Levski
04-08-2015, 09:01 AM
That new post title made me panic for a moment! PTSD...

I will never forget Hillsborough. I also remember some folks sat/stood near me who were in tears/ hysterics for most of the game, even in panic and sometimes wandering out as they simply couldn't watch it.

My mate (actually a Villa fan, so he was oddly detached from it) had set a timer on his phone for the injury time. I was looking it at almost constantly. One eye on the game, one eye down on that phone. When the ref gave that corner, I thought for a second he'd pointed to the spot for some reason. I was almost going mad. He then blew up for full time before they could take the corner. As the final whistle blew and the team ran over to the fans, the look in the players' eyes was incredible, most notably for me McCarthy and Hill. It was incredibly intense and flow of emotions at the end was difficult to describe. Easily the most intense environment of any game I've been to.

Mark Goldberg and his family was sat a few rows back from me - surreal.

stinky
04-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Oh god, I just watched them.

andyocpfc
04-08-2015, 09:22 AM
I'm convinced that if it wasn't for seasons, circumstances and games like this, we wouldn't have the atmosphere (at Selhurst) and success we've had over the last couple of years. It's like we took Palace being there for granted and we suddenly realised that we could have lost everything.

Simon A
04-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Stern John still owes me a new telly......

stinky
04-08-2015, 09:26 AM
I remember when the full time whistle went, I was at home (I was convinced I had a curse on Palace- at that point I had never been to an away game where we hadn't lost), and apparently was white as a sheet. Mum handed me a drink of clear liquid.

"What's this?"

"Gin"

*takes a sip*

"Mum how much tonic is in this?"

*smiles at me*

"Not much"

Winny
04-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Ffs I saw this as the top thread and my heart sunk!

jobiinthelastmi
04-08-2015, 10:02 AM
Derby away... Stern John :lux::lux::lux:

Kylie_Tracey
04-08-2015, 10:06 AM
what memories, never watched the Sky Sports coverage , its seems the whole footballing world was behind us that day, forgot Claude Davis was on the bench

hughff
04-08-2015, 10:15 AM

This wasn't simple either: there was some brinksmanship regarding the takeover too. It was pretty tense for a while. CPFC2010 made it fairly clear that they want ground and club; the Lloyd's protest.

Heady vital days. Now people talk about "spend big" and "the cost of relegation" and I realise that they've already forgotten.

CaterhamEagle
04-08-2015, 10:21 AM
What a season. And that last game... I can remember thinking after that Stern John chance that we were destined to concede. Never been so relieved to hear a final whistle.

DE - Glad All Over
04-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Oh Lord - who started this thread - I have only just finished my therapy for these events !

NorthPalace23
04-08-2015, 10:37 AM
What a season it was! So many highs and lows!

Looking back I think this season was a catalyst for the amazing atmosphere we produce home and away. It was also the catalyst for all of our success in the last 5 years. Without the administration CPFC 2010 might not have taken over the club and we almost certainly wouldn't have had the fantastic times we've had as a result.

I remember the 2006/2007 season as being the worst ever because it seemed like there was no atmosphere or enthusiasm and the club almost seemed lost, without an identity. Although 2009/2010 was tough I think it inspired the passion and enthusiasm we now see and evidently people all over the globe can see!

deftones_eagle
04-08-2015, 10:59 AM
What a game and season. Sometimes I just watch the clip of the wednesday game and have a wry smile. Remember driving up to the game very early in the morning - the whole day is a blur - arriving back in beckenham about 8 or 9 ish and seeing a wednesday fan in FULL KIT in beckenham!

Drinks in O'Neils and the outpouring of emotion was ridiculous!

Pub Idol
04-08-2015, 11:16 AM
We needed the old heads for the run in and Lawrence, Hill, Derry, Paddy, and Butterfield were key to the survival. Butterfield was rightfully keeping Clyne out of the team but unfortunately he slipped and let in Leon Clarke who finished well but injured himself in the celebration and was taken off - This moment I believe was the pivotal moment and only at Palace could the history of the club be determined by an opposing player making one of the biggest and most stupid rickets of all time. WHAT A PRAT!!!! Still cant believe he did. But very glad he did!

Latvian Eagle
04-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Vs-7Kv5Fy0M

A few things watching that back...

1. I totally don't remember Calvin Andrew almost decapitating their goalkeeper. :eek:

2. Ambrose done well to keep his finish down, that ball was bobbling horribly all the way to him.

3. Who thought it was a good idea to let Stern John man mark Darren Purse for their equaliser? :confused:

It's actually quite tough to watch that even now without welling up. Never been so nervous or in such an intense situation at a football game as I was that day.

Pub Idol
04-08-2015, 01:34 PM
2. Ambrose done well to keep his finish down, that ball was bobbling horribly all the way to him.

Best striker of a football I have seen in 30 years of watching Palace. When he connected his right foot was gold.

Malarkey
04-08-2015, 01:40 PM
The title made me think "I knew it was too good to be true"...

Anyway, Wednesday away has only been beaten by the playoff win at Brighton imo

Duffle Coat
04-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Alan Lee, people, Alan Lee. We joked about him and I know the elbow incident on Jedi has sullied his reputation but that day at least he delivered and for that, I believe, we should be grateful for. Similarly, Calvin Andrew. The ref ( good oid Mike Dean- we've been lucky with him) obviously judged his decap attempt to ne down to enthusiasm which, it probably was. Had CA been sent off, we more than likely, would have lost. I put that down as the pivotal moment.
You know, AP could do worse than show the Palace Passion as exemplified in that game to our new signings. That match and Stockport would put the likes of Cabaye and Bamford in the picture with regard to what this club is all about. Of course AP would have to put the game in the context of the season e.g. 10 pts deduction, manager leaving, administration etc etc. Then, Bamford, when asked by Chris Grierson as to what he knew about Palace, wouldn't answer, not much.

jobiinthelastmi
04-08-2015, 03:19 PM
We needed the old heads for the run in and Lawrence, Hill, Derry, Paddy, and Butterfield were key to the survival. Butterfield was rightfully keeping Clyne out of the team but unfortunately he slipped and let in Leon Clarke who finished well but injured himself in the celebration and was taken off - This moment I believe was the pivotal moment and only at Palace could the history of the club be determined by an opposing player making one of the biggest and most stupid rickets of all time. WHAT A PRAT!!!! Still cant believe he did. But very glad he did!

I don't think the Leon Clarke injury made much difference. He was hardly running the show and scored what I consider a lucky goal from a complete balls up from Butterfield.

Truth is, we were a better team than them anyway on the pitch, ten points better to be exact.

stwilley
04-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Great posts here.

For me, the match was the day after a serious motorbike accident, and I was negotiating with the surgeon to have an operation on my injuries after the match!! After they told me I could lose my leg, I decided to listen and take them more seriously, so I had the op next morning, missed the first half hour and sat in hospital bed, on morphine and an oxygen mask watching the match unfold.

A surreal day to say the least!

Pub Idol
04-08-2015, 03:45 PM
I don't think the Leon Clarke injury made much difference. He was hardly running the show and scored what I consider a lucky goal from a complete balls up from Butterfield.

Truth is, we were a better team than them anyway on the pitch, ten points better to be exact.

That's the point tho - He wasn't playing well but when your forward scores once he is a different player - In this case he wasted that confidence in getting injured.

FourtyTwo
04-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Great posts here.

For me, the match was the day after a serious motorbike accident, and I was negotiating with the surgeon to have an operation on my injuries after the match!! After they told me I could lose my leg, I decided to listen and take them more seriously, so I had the op next morning, missed the first half hour and sat in hospital bed, on morphine and an oxygen mask watching the match unfold.

Without meaning to make light of the situation you found yourself in, morphine and oxygen would have made the whole process a lot more pleasant!

jobiinthelastmi
04-08-2015, 04:06 PM
That's the point tho - He wasn't playing well but when your forward scores once he is a different player - In this case he wasted that confidence in getting injured.

Yeah it was stupid of him I agree

They did have a pretty bad team and an awful manager. How did he get a Premiership job last season with West Brom?

Chocky
04-08-2015, 04:07 PM
I forgot about us hitting the post and almost scrambling it over the line. But Butterfield what was he doing! That game and Stockport the most I've ever shit myself watching Palace. Well and the last 5 minutes at Villa Park.

TheMexicanHorse
04-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Next time I have to read "best fans in the EPL" or "Brighton fans are plastic" comments, I think back to that woeful attendance for the final home game of season, in which a) a win would have kept us up and b) could have been a real chance it would have been the last time cp in its current form had ever played.

Shameful.

Nigel_Scarfer
04-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Next time I have to read "best fans in the EPL" or "Brighton fans are plastic" comments, I think back to that woeful attendance for the final home game of season, in which a) a win would have kept us up and b) could have been a real chance it would have been the last time cp in its current form had ever played.

Shameful.

Yeah, but it was a Monday night and it was on the telly.....

RDSdaEAGLE
04-08-2015, 04:52 PM

Shameful.

In fairness, the 17,798 that turned up made it the highest attendance of the season.

Our hardcore support, before top-of-the-Championship entertainment and well before the Premier League adventure began, was typically about 15,000. That doesn't make it acceptable, but it was significantly more than what turned out vs Coventry, or Bristol City, or Sheffield United (all in the 13,000s) - I think the hardcore understood the importance of the match.

Pistol Knight
04-08-2015, 05:37 PM

Shameful.

:clown::clown:

Jono14
04-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Worst game I've witnessed. Hated every single second.

whereEaglesFly
04-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Still convinced Butterfield was fouled for their first goal, his heel was definitely clipped..

jobiinthelastmi
04-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Still convinced Butterfield was fouled for their first goal, his heel was definitely clipped..

No chance

He should have just stuck it out for a throw. Could have cost us dearly.

Oli28
04-08-2015, 06:44 PM
In fairness, the 17,798 that turned up made it the highest attendance of the season.

Our hardcore support, before top-of-the-Championship entertainment and well before the Premier League adventure began, was typically about 15,000. That doesn't make it acceptable, but it was significantly more than what turned out vs Coventry, or Bristol City, or Sheffield United (all in the 13,000s) - I think the hardcore understood the importance of the match.
More were at the villa game that season. I remember being surprised at how low the turnout was considering the magnitude of the match, which could have easily been our last at Selhurst.

No idea how I managed to get through that game at hillsborough. One of the least enjoyable matches I've been to but amazing scenes in the away end at the final whistle.

Oli28
04-08-2015, 06:46 PM
No chance

He should have just stuck it out for a throw. Could have cost us dearly.
If we went down the blame would've been on Stern John for not bothering to mark Darren Purse at the end as well failing to square it to ambrose.

Top performance from him at derby though.

Duffle Coat
04-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Great posts here.

Now, that's a post!

MENTALLY TOUGH
04-08-2015, 06:50 PM

It did make a difference as it meant Tom Soares came on for him & luckily for us he produced the type of performance that we got so used to seeing over so much of his Palace career.
So they were down to 10 men for the 2nd half really.

Grim Reaper
04-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Watched it on telly. Just pure relief when the final whistle went. I said to the missus 'Make the most of this - I'm in the mood to spend some money' Within 5 minutes we were on our way to buy a garden furniture set for a few hundred quid.

Every time we have a barbecue and get the set out I smile as I'm reminded of that day I bought it. Will be a lot of years before it gets replaced.

Will2024
05-08-2015, 02:26 AM
This is actually very familiar because my favorite team, penn state football went through somethng very similar and were given penalties. Thanks for all of the posts, its always interesting to learn about a teams past!

Pub Idol
05-08-2015, 02:24 PM

Shameful.

Good point actually.

Memory from that night - Ambrose has one cleared of the line when we were battering them late on - Had that gone in the 17k would have gone absolutely mental like never before IMO.

Grim Reaper
05-08-2015, 03:02 PM
This is actually very familiar because my favorite team, penn state football went through somethng very similar and were given penalties. !

Let's be fair though - the reasons for Palace's and Penn State's penalties couldn't have been more different :eek:

Will2024
05-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Let's be fair though - the reasons for Palace's and Penn State's penalties couldn't have been more different :eek:
Yes i know... Im still embarrased by it

RickyB
05-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Just leaked a few tears reading all of the above and watching the videos.

New LP
05-08-2015, 11:35 PM

Shameful.

You have a point about the crowd for the West Brom game that night, made worse by the fact that we could sell the ground out for Villa in the cup earlier in the season.

Still way better than the sub 7k crowds Brighton got at Withdean for 2 decades though.

pauldrulez
11-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Good point actually.

Memory from that night - Ambrose has one cleared of the line when we were battering them late on - Had that gone in the 17k would have gone absolutely mental like never before IMO.

I believe it was cleared by Jonas Olsson.

He busted a gut to clear that off the line when it meant absolutely nothing to him.

What a bastard.

Mentioned elsewhere but Scunny, Watford and Derby away all remain high in my list of away games attended.