PDA

View Full Version : Tony Millington

T.C.
05-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Just noticed that Tony Millington has died.

I can't really remember seeing him play (right at the beginning of me watching Palace) but thought there would be some 'in memoriam' discussion from the extra old guard!!

N Herts Eagle
05-08-2015, 07:31 PM
A kid who had been devestated by the sale of Bill Glazier, the signing of Tony Millington was exciting, it helped he was a Welsh International. The fee was a sizable chunk of the Glazier money as well. He played at Wembley against England I think whilst with us. However his career here was not long as John Jackson broke through and claimed the spot.
The connections to Palace from West Brom were considerable in those days due to Dick Grahams connection Millington Allen Burnside Kevan reverse Ray Potter was the goalie from us that Tony lost out to at West Brom.
As I said his career was short but I think if I can recall correctly he played a part in the 1965 cup run the win against Forest and the loss against Leeds. From us he dropped down the leagues to Peterborough along with Kevan and then Swansea. His career ended after a car accident according to Wiki.
Condolences to his family and friends however short his career he will always be part of my Palace memories.

Harry Bassett
05-08-2015, 08:01 PM
A kid who had been devestated by the sale of Bill Glazier, the signing of Tony Millington was exciting, it helped he was a Welsh International. The fee was a sizable chunk of the Glazier money as well. He played at Wembley against England I think whilst with us. However his career here was not long as John Jackson broke through and claimed the spot.
The connections to Palace from West Brom were considerable in those days due to Dick Grahams connection Millington Allen Burnside Kevan reverse Ray Potter was the goalie from us that Tony lost out to at West Brom.
As I said his career was short but I think if I can recall correctly he played a part in the 1965 cup run the win against Forest and the loss against Leeds. From us he dropped down the leagues to Peterborough along with Kevan and then Swansea. His career ended after a car accident according to Wiki.
Condolences to his family and friends however short his career he will always be part of my Palace memories.

At about that time we must have had about nine or ten from West Brom. Roy Horobin, Brian Whitehouse, Brian Birch and Keith Smith being others off the top of my head ---In memory of our late BBSer Kevan woz awful.

N Herts Eagle
05-08-2015, 08:27 PM
At about that time we must have had about nine or ten from West Brom. Roy Horobin, Brian Whitehouse, Brian Birch and Keith Smith being others off the top of my head ---In memory of our late BBSer Kevan woz awful. I forgot those particularly Whitehouse and Smith strewth I am getting old.

Ruskin Old Boy
05-08-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry to hear the news.

For most Palace fans it was a sad day when Bill Glazier was transferred to Coventry. The only consolation was that Tony Millington was a Welsh international who was reputed to have plenty of talent. Unfortunately for Tony so did John Jackson, the then reserve keeper.

In those days reserve matches were played at Selhurst Park on the Saturday at 3pm so it was a good way of keeping in touch with how the first team were getting on. Mostly only the main stand and the enclosure was open to spectators and it was a novelty to us Holmesdale Road teenagers to watch from the enclosure, often by the players tunnel (then in the middle of the stand). I mention that as Tony would often stop and talk to fans as he came off at half time and full time. A likely lad by all accounts and although Jacko was one of our own and would go on to great things we were sorry to see Tony leave.

Brian Turner
05-08-2015, 09:09 PM
I remember going to a reserve game with a friend of mine who was at school with Stevie Kember. Millington was in goal. After the match, we went behind the main stand to meet Stevie and we also had a chat with Millington. It started to pour with rain, so Millington gave us a lift home. Very gracious, down to earth chap of whom I have fond memories.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
06-08-2015, 02:35 AM
Another in the long line of great keepers that have graced this club. Nothing to add to what people have said above. Remember him in the 0=3 loss to Leeds in 65 probably one of the biggest games I had attended at the time. RIP tony.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
06-08-2015, 02:38 AM

Just had a look at that Wiki page. Says that the accident left him in a wheel chair for the rest of his days.

N Herts Eagle
06-08-2015, 04:35 AM
Another in the long line of great keepers that have graced this club. Nothing to add to what people have said above. Remember him in the 0=3 loss to Leeds in 65 probably one of the biggest games I had attended at the time. RIP tony. There you go relive your memories
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/into-the-semi-final-2-leeds-united/query/Whitehouse

Devon Eagle
06-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Tony Millington played 21 times for Wales between 1962 and 1971. He won 4 caps whilst a Palace player, all away games and was on the losing side on all 4 occasions. 2-1 against England at Wembley, 2-1 in Moscow against the Soviet Union, a 1-0 defeat in Brazil and 2-0 versus Chile.

DARZET EAGLE
06-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Tony was a big signing for us after Bill Glazier left. He would have been an automatic choice but for John Jackson. Condolences to his family.

davech
06-08-2015, 10:46 PM
There you go relive your memories
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/into-the-semi-final-2-leeds-united/query/Whitehouse

My first game! I was in the Whitehorse End. Have some rep :p

Dawkins' Banana
06-08-2015, 11:03 PM
As I said his career was short but I think if I can recall correctly he played a part in the 1965 cup run the win against Forest and the loss against Leeds.

Have to correct you there... Jacko played in goal against Forest (my first ever Palace match), Millington against Leeds.

silver
07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Tony was a big signing for us after Bill Glazier left. He would have been an automatic choice but for John Jackson. Condolences to his family.
RIP Tony

evvo111
08-08-2015, 11:42 AM
RIP.

N Herts Eagle
13-08-2015, 06:27 AM
http://www.newsnorthwales.co.uk/news/151383/wife-s-tribute-to-former-footballer-and-wrexham-disability-champion.aspx
Touching tribute by his wife and the story of his accident that left him in a wheelchair for the latter part of his life.

StonePenge
13-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Very interesting article.

tamlamotowner
10-09-2015, 06:23 PM
I remember Tony Millington very well, his debut against Middlesborough at home on Saturday 17th October 1964 was my 11th birthday.
I was devastated about Bill Glazier leaving, Tony was a good replacement. RIP Tony Millington, all our condolences to his family.