PDA

View Full Version : Greg Rutherford

LLCOOLSTEVE
25-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Doesn't get the recognition he deserves....

Olympic
Commonwealth
European .....

....And now World long jump champion

Some achievement

By all accounts a thoroughly nice guy too

MasterYoda
25-08-2015, 07:07 PM
It's because as a country we're gingerist

ebyeeckeagle
25-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Several journos and couple of commentators described him as lucky.

Quite a lucky streak then. Michael Johnson told him to jump more, talk less. I think his record allows him to judge the merits or not of the funding and governing bodies.

Son of Ron
25-08-2015, 09:50 PM
The lack of replies kind of backs up your point ! Some record the last 3 years

Oddjob
25-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Could be because Athletics is a trifle dull ??

David of Kent
26-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Amazing competitor at the big games, guess it's an event people aren't massively into. One of five grand slam gold medallists from the UK now

GJN
26-08-2015, 07:17 AM
I think his winning distance for the Olympics was slightly modest, so people will compare him to previous champions who have jumped further. Still, you can only beat what was in front of you, and 8.41m I imagine would medal at most of the world championships and Olympic games ever held. So overall a worthy champion.

If he were to jump 8.60m+ this would help to cement his legacy.

Halftime Gold
26-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Personal bests in the long jump don't mean as much as in running events though since there much harder to replicate on a given day.

Wolfnipplechips
26-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Meh. Jumping.

Now egg and spoon or the sack race and I'd be well impressed.

DARZET EAGLE
26-08-2015, 09:59 PM
Meh. Jumping.

But would he drop the egg or trip over the sack? :eek:

charltonhater
27-08-2015, 10:09 AM
I remember watching the European Championships in 2006 when Rutherford got a Silver Medal as a 19 year old, and a lot of the Athletics pundits were getting excited about him predicting he could win gold in London 2012. If he hadn't suffered injuries for many years, I'm sure he would have won many more medals by now.

Remember them also getting excited about HarryAikines-Aryeete and Jess Ennis at the same championships, although despite Mo Farah getting a silver medal in the championships can't recall him being mentioned as a medallist at all!

gjohnk
27-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Meh. Jumping.

After finishing third last in the "Beanbag on the head" race in my daughters school sports day, I have a new respect for athletes like Rutherford who bring out their best performances on the big occasions.

ChiswickEagle
27-08-2015, 10:48 AM
He was unlucky to be sandwiched between Ennis and Farah in 2012, that didn't help.

maestro
27-08-2015, 10:55 AM
I think many consider long jump to be a kind of a class b event, if you werent good enough at sprinting as a kid you had a go at the long jump.

Its almost a bit weird when you think about it that people in that sport dedicate their lives to jumping in a big sand pit.

Adlerhorst
27-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Its almost a bit weird when you think about it that people in that sport dedicate their lives to jumping in a big sand pit.you write this as someone who has dedicated a part of his life to watching other people kick a round ball into a big net.

Just a thought....

art malice
27-08-2015, 11:07 AM
He was unlucky to be sandwiched between Ennis and Farah in 2012, that didn't help.

Never had any of those three down for that sort of thing. I guess they were all caught up with the occasion like the rest of us.

maestro
27-08-2015, 11:15 AM
you write this as someone who has dedicated a part of his life to watching other people kick a round ball into a big net.

Just a thought....

Yup I have thought that aswell

st albans
27-08-2015, 11:28 AM
I think his winning distance for the Olympics was slightly modest, so people will compare him to previous champions who have jumped further. Still, you can only beat what was in front of you, and 8.41m I imagine would medal at most of the world championships and Olympic games ever held. So overall a worthy champion.

If he were to jump 8.60m+ this would help to cement his legacy.

his furthest jump only puts him 277th on the all time long jump list

cantspell
27-08-2015, 01:24 PM

you can only beat what is in front of you.

On the lucky point: wish I was that lucky

charltonhater
28-08-2015, 12:49 PM

Where did you get that statistics from? Wikipedia has him in the top 25 of all time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_jump#All-time_top_25_athletes