PDA

View Full Version : Can someone teach me to enjoy rugby?

spunky
19-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Seeing as its the rugby world cup, i'd like to take an interest, mainly so I dont feel left out, but the problem is i've never found it particularly interesting, it just looks like a load of big men jumping on top of each other which throwing an egg shaped ball sidewards, clearly there is something i'm missing because everyone seems to have gone mad for it. So , help me enjoy this strange sport, please

mroakley9
19-09-2015, 11:40 AM
I'd recommend watching the shit teams. Sure it won't be that good of a quality, but oh boy it'll be much more exciting than watching two good teams.

oz_da II
19-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Watch a game from 1992.

Worksop Palace
19-09-2015, 01:04 PM
No.

It's liking someone saying 'I don't understand cricket, tell me the rules'.

I would but I don't have 3 weeks to spare.

If you don't understand it or like it go watch something else

kabbott
19-09-2015, 01:14 PM
I'd recommend watching the shit teams. Sure it won't be that good of a quality, but oh boy it'll be much more exciting than watching two good teams.

Australia v Uruguay is on Sunday 27th September! ;)

mroakley9
19-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Australia v Uruguay is on Sunday 27th September! ;)

http://i.imgur.com/b5qRWSk.gif?noredirect

Well done :p

Kylie_Tracey
19-09-2015, 01:27 PM
watch some YouTube vids of the great Wales team of the 1970's JPR Williams, Gareth Edwards etc, plus the British Lions wins against South Africa 1997 and Austrialia 2013. Coach Jim Telfer's pre match talk to the players before the deciding rubber against SA is nothing short of legendary.

davech
19-09-2015, 01:33 PM
You can have a beer while sitting in your seat, if that helps?

Old Joe Paxton
19-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Well, in answer to the op the key, if English, is to appear to be if you are from a middle class background from West London with middling public school roots and an ability to be very loud and patronising, although not generally outright aggressive, when drunk. You must also think all nations in the UK are tiny insignificant fleas, whose populations have a penchant for manual labour, much like your northern English compatriots of whom you know no one.

If Welsh, no matter your background, you must appear to be from working class origins and 'was there' for every JPR, Gareth and JJ appearance in the golden years even if you 35. And your dad/grandad was a miner but now works in a heritage colliery centre in Ponty. You must think the English are all overbearing, loud, chinless wonders and you mull over how the English middle and upper classes ever became your nation's overlords.

If you are Scottish, keep quiet. Your recent rugby history demands it.

ExiledStirling
19-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Well, in answer to the op the key, if English, is to appear to be if you are from a middle class background from West London with middling public school roots and an ability to be very loud and patronising, although not generally outright aggressive, when drunk. You must also think all nations in the UK are tiny insignificant fleas, whose populations have a penchant for manual labour, much like your northern English compatriots of whom you know no one.

If Welsh, no matter your background, you must appear to be from working class origins and 'was there' for every JPR, Gareth and JJ appearance in the golden years even if you 35. And your dad/grandad was a miner but now works in a heritage colliery centre in Ponty. You must think the English are all overbearing, loud, chinless wonders and you mull over how the English middle and upper classes ever became your nation's overlords.

If you are Scottish, keep quiet. Your recent rugby history demands it.
:D Excellent summary.

Glaws Eagle
20-09-2015, 12:24 PM
No.

It's liking someone saying 'I don't understand cricket, tell me the rules'.

I would but I don't have 3 weeks to spare.

If you don't understand it or like it go watch something else

Laws of cricket ... Laws

Yoda
21-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Seeing as its the rugby world cup, i'd like to take an interest, mainly so I dont feel left out, but the problem is i've never found it particularly interesting, it just looks like a load of big men jumping on top of each other which throwing an egg shaped ball sidewards, clearly there is something i'm missing because everyone seems to have gone mad for it. So , help me enjoy this strange sport, please

It is rather bonkers isn't it. I like the teamwork ethic of rugby eg how do you stop a 25st giant...you get 2 or 3 teammates to tackle him together!

There can also be some great flowing tries.

But for my taste, the game is too stop/start for me. I'm watching a few matches on TV, though usually doing something else at the same time (inc BBSing), as it doesn't grab my attention 100%.

Fatboy
21-09-2015, 09:28 AM

If you have never found it interesting - cannot see how you will now.

There have been other Rugby World Cups too (England won in 2003 you know) - why the interest now?

Worksop Palace
21-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Laws of cricket ... Laws

Well yes indeed. The people who don't understand it ask about 'rules'. That was my point.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
21-09-2015, 11:38 AM
the referee is god. Even when he is wrong, he is right. Even look funny at him and you are off the pitch.

Away fans are your other 'friends'. Who sit beside you and have a laugh.

Serious injuries are to casually laughed off. Develop a good relationship with A&E doctors.

The Southern hemisphere is like another planet.

Girls go for cauliflower eared, toothless gorilla types because they all work in management consulting and talk proper.

Lots of singing. But without the insults to the opposition.

Tight shorts, strong t shirts for pulling on.

Pretend you never heard of football.

Attend the games with your boss who has a spare ticket.

try to kill the other team for 80 minutes, and then both teams all have a pint and a hug down the pub, which is usually on a river bank overlooking little rowboats.

Adlerhorst
21-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Seeing as its the rugby world cup, i'd like to take an interest, mainly so I dont feel left out, but the problem is i've never found it particularly interesting, it just looks like a load of big men jumping on top of each other which throwing an egg shaped ball sidewards, clearly there is something i'm missing because everyone seems to have gone mad for it. So , help me enjoy this strange sport, pleaseYou like football, yes?

So that's about 90 minutes of grown men pretending to be hurt. Rugby is about 80 minutes of grown men pretending not to be hurt.

Maidstoned Eagle
21-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Get drunk.

Selhurst Celtic
21-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Well yes indeed. The people who don't understand it ask about 'rules'. That was my point.

http://s2.b3ta.com/host/creative/53844/1429709865/chinnyreckon.jpg

Oisin
21-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Surely anyone would have enjoyed Japan South Africa?

Rugby is the only non-sheep related field of endeavour where you'll hear plucky underdogs USA contrasted to global giants New Zealand.

Worksop Palace
21-09-2015, 12:51 PM
http://s2.b3ta.com/host/creative/53844/1429709865/chinnyreckon.jpg

Shut it Emerson Fittapaldi

TOP CAT
21-09-2015, 04:23 PM

My advice would be to play the game, even for a little while. You're only 31, so should be able to recover from the bumps and bruises. The game can accommodate all shapes and sizes. Helps if you're big and fast though.

Camaderie and having a beer with oppo etc. is fantastic, miles above football; which I always find is niggly and bad tempered. Mind you seen far more punch ups at rugby

nathe
21-09-2015, 04:40 PM
It is rather bonkers isn't it. I like the teamwork ethic of rugby eg how do you stop a 25st giant...you get 2 or 3 teammates to tackle him together!

There can also be some great flowing tries.

But for my taste, the game is too stop/start for me. I'm watching a few matches on TV, though usually doing something else at the same time (inc BBSing), as it doesn't grab my attention 100%.

The japan v south Africa game certainly grabbed my attention