PDA

View Full Version : First Club Badge

CPFC_ARMY
20-09-2015, 10:38 PM
I'm currently doing some research into the early club badges. The official website states that the first club badge materialised in the 40s, but can only find evidences of the first use of a club crest on the covers of 1954/55 programmes - a season before being introduced onto the shirts.

I did randomly spot a menu on eBay for an end of season dinner from 1952, pre-dating the programme covers by two years, but not too sure how official it really is?

Any help would be great?

CPFC_ARMY
23-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Here is a clearer idea of what I'm looking for...

I don't really have access to early editions of the Palace programme. I was wondering if anyone could help identify if an official badge appears in any programmes/handbooks before the 1954/55 season?

Thanks

ian king
23-09-2015, 02:39 PM

I don't really have access to early editions of the Palace programme. I was wondering if anyone could help identify if an official badge appears in any programmes/handbooks before the 1954/55 season?

Thanks

Having a quick look through my 'stuff' before tonight's game and this badge appears on the front cover of the 1952/53 edition of the Club Annual.
I'll have more time tomorrow to dig around.

CPFC_ARMY
23-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Having a quick look through my 'stuff' before tonight's game and this badge appears on the front cover of the 1952/53 edition of the Club Annual.
I'll have more time tomorrow to dig around.

Thanks Ian,

I had a theory that the first badge was brought into play to coincide with the 50th Anniversary of club - I suppose that idea has been blown out the water.

Would the end of season dinner in 1952 been an official club event?

Pistol Knight
23-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Best people to find this would be Selhursthoover or Dorking.Eagle both Palace nerds (in the best way of course :))

Dorking .Eagle
23-09-2015, 10:59 PM
No offence taken

The oldest thing I have with it on is the front cover of the 1952/53 Official Annual (yearbook) - same as Ian King.

Oldest programme I have that features it is season 54/55

If anyone else bothered to collate the cards given away in last seasons home programmes, then card #28 claimed 'The First badge' dated from the late 1940s. But then they show quite a refined badge - more like the one on the 1961 'Johnny Byrne' replica shirts still sold to this day.

The one shown above in post No 2 of this thread is the same as that on the 52/3 annual.

CPFC_ARMY
24-09-2015, 11:48 AM
A similar thing is mentioned on the club website:

"The club’s first ever club crest was unveiled in the late 1940s, featuring an image of the Crystal Palace with a claret and blue shield on the front – colours that mirrored those of the club’s kit at the time."

The badge they are referring to did not appear on the shirts until 1955.

-
So 1952 seems to be the defining year. Off subject; Do any of the supporters' club pin badges pre-date 1952?

Dorking .Eagle
24-09-2015, 11:53 AM
The 'clover leaf' ones (there are a few subtle varieties) are late 40s

I have a dated 1930's one (with year bar) - there is no club crest on it though.

There was a supporters club badge from the 1930's with a logo of a red star in a circle.

The badge in the middle of those 3 attachments is 1950s

Dorking .Eagle
24-09-2015, 11:55 AM
See this page of Palace badges

http://www.piterbadge.com/badge/32/57

Mine from the 1930s is like No 11 on that page. The 'red star' one I referred to is number 24

CPFC_ARMY
24-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Wow - What a collection!

I was wondering if the supporters' badges had any direct influence to the final design of the first crest?

I've never seen badge 22 - would you know any kind of date of it?

Dorking .Eagle
24-09-2015, 12:45 PM
I've seen #22 for sale a few times on ebay over the years. One probably comes up for sale every 2-3 years. Once someone got it for under £100.

Wouldn't like to guess the year though - other collectors might have a better idea than me. 1950's ???

Chocky
25-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Did the fans get an online vote for the first ever badge?

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:32 AM

Thanks

I know just the person who might be able to help:p. It'll be later in week but if he has a programme from back then I'll take a picture.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2015, 09:36 AM
See this page of Palace badges

http://www.piterbadge.com/badge/32/57

Mine from the 1930s is like No 11 on that page. The 'red star' one I referred to is number 24

Amazing stuff DE I'd up your security if I was you in case some fella from Berkshire pays a visit at night in a bara clarva( sp)

Ockleywood
27-09-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm currently doing some research into the early club badges. The official website states that the first club badge materialised in the 40s, but can only find evidences of the first use of a club crest on the covers of 1954/55 programmes - a season before being introduced onto the shirts.

I did randomly spot a menu on eBay for an end of season dinner from 1952, pre-dating the programme covers by two years, but not too sure how official it really is?

Any help would be great?

The menu was a spare one put on ebay by myself, this was obtained from a former Palace player who attended the Dinner & Dance and was also attended by the Palace Directors and Manager so is quite official.

I attach a scan of a Palace blazer badge from the 1950's but cannot confirm from which season, however I believe it is from the early l950's rather than the late 1950's based on photo I have of Palace players wearing club blazers.

Dorking .Eagle
27-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Amazing stuff DE I'd up your security if I was you in case some fella from Berkshire pays a visit at night in a bara clarva( sp)

LOL, I'll sleep with one eye open!!

CPFC_ARMY
28-09-2015, 12:18 AM
The menu was a spare one put on ebay by myself, this was obtained from a former Palace player who attended the Dinner & Dance and was also attended by the Palace Directors and Manager so is quite official.

I attach a scan of a Palace blazer badge from the 1950's but cannot confirm from which season, however I believe it is from the early l950's rather than the late 1950's based on photo I have of Palace players wearing club blazers.

Thanks Ockleywood,

I've always considered this be an altered version of the badge from the 1955/56 programme covers. I guess I'm wrong! I recently noticed a printed version of this same blazer badge in a Coventry programme from 1971, but never seen this particular version used by the club in any publications?

I've spotted a photo of Laurie Scott from 1954 wearing a blazer but with the badge from the second post!

west country boy
28-09-2015, 12:56 AM
I've seen #22 for sale a few times on ebay over the years. One probably comes up for sale every 2-3 years. Once someone got it for under £100.

Wouldn't like to guess the year though - other collectors might have a better idea than me. 1950's ???Interesting - I would have guessed that #22 was a modern pseudo-retro version, so it shows how little I know.

CPFC_ARMY
28-09-2015, 06:44 AM

Wouldn't like to guess the year though - other collectors might have a better idea than me. 1950's ???

I've just noticed #22 as a blazer badge (How many did we have? This has really thrown a curveball on many badges we officially had!)

It appears on George Petchey's jacket in a photo on his Testimonial programme cover from 1967, but haven't got a clue when the actual photo was taken?

LONDONMAN
28-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Has anyone else noticed how the badges from the 1930's are in Red & Blue rather than Claret and Light Blue?

There seems to be some area of doubt wether Palace in fact did wear our more modern colours back then, as it's frequently mentioned in newspaper reports and programmes of the time that our colours were Red & Blue and when Palace wore stripes for the first time in 1937, they were also described as Red & Blue with even the official programme of the
time showing the kit as the colours that Palace adopted in 1973.

Has anybody got the definite answer? http://i.holmesdale.net/programmes/prog_1937-8.jpg

CPFC_ARMY
28-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I've made a graphic showing the history of our early badges before the 1972 rebrand. I can't believe how many were in existence within a 20 year period. Do you think it looks correct?

I am guessing that ''badge #22" was simply a lapel badge for players and staff and that it pre-dates the CP crest. If anyone can shed some more light into this badge would be brilliant!

Dorking .Eagle
28-09-2015, 01:29 PM
The 'crest used on kits 1955 - 1964' was used on the yellow Anglo Italian Cup shirts (1971) as far as I know.

To be honest I think you've discovered was a right old muddle of different (but similar) crests and badges for about 2 decades!

CPFC_ARMY
28-09-2015, 01:42 PM
The 'crest used on kits 1955 - 1964' was used on the yellow Anglo Italian Cup shirts (1971) as far as I know.

To be honest I think you've discovered was a right old muddle of different (but similar) crests and badges for about 2 decades!

Think your right on both fronts...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA7U6mfpxx4

LONDONMAN
28-09-2015, 01:59 PM
I've made a graphic showing the history of our early badges before the 1972 rebrand. I can't believe how many were in existence within a 20 year period. Do you think it looks correct?

I am guessing that ''badge #22" was simply a lapel badge for players and staff and that it pre-dates the CP crest. If anyone can shed some more light into this badge would be brilliant!

Not sure if he is still alive, but one man who may know is Chris Hassell, who was Palace's Secretary in the 60's, before moving onto Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Possibly a great interview in the making if anyone can get hold of him!

As I didn't really start following Palace until the mid 1970's and was just a kid back then, all I can really say is that those great club crests from the 1960's that only appeared on official club ties, jackets and official supporters club pin badges seem to have cropped up after the visit of Real Madrid in 1962.

When you look at the similarity of them to the Madrid badge, especially with the Palace exchanged for the Crown, you can see where the influence came from.

Ockleywood
28-09-2015, 05:03 PM

The crest used on the kits 1955 - 1964 did not have the the words
'Crystal Palace FC under the badge whereas the Anglo Italian shirts did have the words under the badge, the shirts were also used in the early part of the 1971/72 season

CPFC_ARMY
29-09-2015, 04:06 PM
The crest used on the kits 1955 - 1964 did not have the the words
'Crystal Palace FC under the badge whereas the Anglo Italian shirts did have the words under the badge, the shirts were also used in the early part of the 1971/72 season

Strange how it was left off the shirts for eight seasons!

Blind_Eagle
02-10-2015, 10:34 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t6pLlpr.png

Posted on behalf of our very own ORP.

orp pisshead1
02-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Cheers mate:p, took the pic while at side'os today:D.

Palace Yankee
03-10-2015, 03:48 AM

What year is this?

orp pisshead1
03-10-2015, 06:10 AM
What year is this?

53/54 or 54/55

CPFC_ARMY
06-10-2015, 10:33 PM
I can see what you mean!!

I've only seen this badge in use from photos from 1965. The same season when the outfield kits were changed to all white (same as Real Madrid, coincidence?)

Do you think this badge first appeared in 1962 then?

Not sure if he is still alive, but one man who may know is Chris Hassell, who was Palace's Secretary in the 60's, before moving onto Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Possibly a great interview in the making if anyone can get hold of him!

As I didn't really start following Palace until the mid 1970's and was just a kid back then, all I can really say is that those great club crests from the 1960's that only appeared on official club ties, jackets and official supporters club pin badges seem to have cropped up after the visit of Real Madrid in 1962.

When you look at the similarity of them to the Madrid badge, especially with the Palace exchanged for the Crown, you can see where the influence came from.