PDA

View Full Version : David Payne.

Supa Pard
03-10-2015, 06:03 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting the man today in The Pawsons before the game.
I was only a little boy when I watched him play for us but I knew what a good player he was.
We chatted for a while. Lovely man.
Any memories of him from older posters?

cad
03-10-2015, 08:54 PM
A local lad like team mate Steve Kember.

Not the most prolific scorer but, by pure coincidence, he scored for us in the very first Palace game I attended - Bolton at home in 1968 - and in the first away game I went to - West Ham in 1972(?).

Breaking rocks
03-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Solid, dependable player.

Supa Pard
03-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Yep. I told him I knew he was a local lad and supporter and he said it was him and Kember that were the 2 fans/local lads which I obviously knew. I asked him what year he left. '73 to Orient. We spoke of John Jackson being at Speroni's testimonial.
He seemed genuinely happy to speak to me (which doesn't happen often to me), I introduced him to me son, offered to buy him a drink which he politely declined and told me he was looking for his son.
We said our goodbyes and he told me how he was pleased to meet me (which also doesn't happen to me very often).
What a perfect day today has been.
It's what being a Palace fan is all about.

Ruskin Old Boy
03-10-2015, 09:11 PM
You couldn't meet a nicer former player.

One of my mates met Colin Durban at an award night back in the 60s and Durban said that Payne was one of the best players he'd come up against.

Great player :p

vegas78
03-10-2015, 09:18 PM
My Dad always makes a point of saying hello to him whenever he sees him, he is always at Palace.

PalaceOfVariety
03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
I played for a football team in the 70s who David coached - nice man and very good coach. When the games were called off due to an unplayable pitch - it was off to see the Palace. Very fond memories of him as a player, coach and most importantly for me as a person.

DARZET EAGLE
03-10-2015, 09:30 PM
David was a very consistant and dependable midfielder, one of the better players in his era.

Dorking .Eagle
03-10-2015, 10:21 PM
I sat next to him on the tube train to West Ham a couple of seasons ago. A West Ham fan woman was on a nearby seat but was listening to the conversation (obv. she had no idea who he was at this point other than having learned he was a former Palace player) She started asking him questions, and he kindly reeled off stories and memories about playing with Budgie Byrne and against Bobby Moore. Before we even got to Upton Park she'd got his autograph! Such a nice man and always got the time for anyone who wants to talk to him.

Chobham Eagle
03-10-2015, 10:37 PM
I remember him as a very solid, dependable player. I also had the great pleasure of chatting to him for an hour at a dinner I was at a few months ago. Such a nice chap.

King William
04-10-2015, 05:51 AM
Goes in The Builders after the game

PhuketEagle
04-10-2015, 06:24 AM
Watched him play many times when I was a pre-teen (if that's the term!) Fairly sure his permanent playing number was 4....a very decent player & always calm on the field. Don't think I ever saw him make a bad foul, now that's amazing compared to today's players. Also remember asking for his autograph - he kindly signed my multi-coloured Autograph Book no problem. Very likeable & open-minded guy, good luck David!

Am Phibian
04-10-2015, 07:31 AM
One of my first Palace player memories aged 7 in 1971. I am pretty sure he was a defender back then. My old pa thought he was 'not very good' and tbh so did I. His moustache slowed him down.

N Herts Eagle
04-10-2015, 11:45 AM
One of those players that are a mainstay to the team without being spectacular. He never really set the world alight but was always in the team. As a youngster I probably understood less the importance and how good he really was in performing what he was asked to do. Either in defence or as a defensive midfielder no mazy runs spectacular goals just an honest hard working professional. Your not got to find many recalling spectacular goals or performances but he was a key member of the side.
One of those that survived the various team culls that Bert Head regularly undertook, injury in the first season up limited his appearances but he was pretty much a regular for all four seasons. Gained an England Under 23 cap as well. Summed up 280 plus appearances for us one of three from our youth side Jackson Kember Payne that were part of the promotion side. Loyal servant with a love for the club.

Nigelbrag
04-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Am I right in thinking back he was originally a very cultured RB, that was moved into midfield, also did he have neatly styled blond hair, or am i thinking of somebody else?

Breaking rocks
04-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Am I right in thinking back he was originally a very cultured RB, that was moved into midfield, also did he have neatly styled blond hair, or am i thinking of somebody else?

http://i.imgur.com/sJPIjEv.jpg

ExiledStirling
04-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Have to say do not have any stand out memories of him as a kid watching the team. But that probably says to me that he was a decent player, especially when I consider the stand out memories I have of John Sewell and Jim Scott.

ElwissAtMemphis
04-10-2015, 04:28 PM
He'd left Palace before I started going. Did he play for Orient against us in any of the 77/78 or 78/79 matches because I saw all of them? He retired in 1978 according to wikipedia.

Nigelbrag
04-10-2015, 06:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sJPIjEv.jpg

That's the guy. Thanks.

N Herts Eagle
04-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Have to say do not have any stand out memories of him as a kid watching the team. But that probably says to me that he was a decent player, especially when I consider the stand out memories I have of John Sewell and Jim Scott. Jim Scott still has one of my all time favourite stand out moments at Selhurst, trouble was it is the humourous one. David Payne on the other hand I struggle to name one that really stands out, and in 280 plus games it sums him up totally reliable.

Hal Low
04-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Solid, dependable player.

That is a huge understatement. He was a permanent member of the midfield in the 69 promotion winning team, and for the next two years when, amazingly, we managed to stay in the top flight. I believe he also won one under-23 cap for England.

He always put in a full shift but he was also classy. Not classy enough for the very top teams but classy enough to be rarely out of his class when we played those teams

ian king
05-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Am I right in thinking back he was originally a very cultured RB, that was moved into midfield

Started as the Palace No. 4 to Kember's No. 8 in midfield. Moved to right-back towards the end of the 1970-71 season as John Sewell wound down his Palace career and played there for 71-72 and most of 72-73 seasons.

Often meet him outside the main stand before a game (he's always about) and a real gent.

Polak
05-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Met him at the complete history book launch a few years ago in Speroni's and subsequently a couple of times pre-match in the Pawsons. Top bloke.

tony 1947
06-10-2015, 10:57 AM
I can only echo what others have said about David, always happy to talk with fans and discuss memories, and much too modest about his own career. Two of his goals stand out for me both in the then first division and both gave us a valuable point when we were a goal down. At home to Nottingham Forest after they had taken the lead he burst through from mid-field to plant a left foot shot. That was on Jan 17 1970. The other was a last minute equaliser at West Ham on Feb 19 1972, which sent us travelling fans wild with a much needed point. It was both surpriseing and sad to see him leave for Orient in August 1973, he was playing well for them and they almost were promoted, sadly David broke his leg in the penultimate game of the season and missed most of the next playing just two games. He played 19, 22 and 11+3 subs in the next 3 seasons for the Os. He joined Millwall as a coach and they won the F.A. Youth cup while he was there. As well as an under23 cap he went on a tour to New Zealand 1969 with a F.A. side.

big bad John
06-10-2015, 03:04 PM
A fort neef boy made good. Joked with him once about the runaround Tommy `Hutchison of Coventry gave him at Highfield Road one Friday night back in I think 73. David played right back that night and the whole team were awful in a 2-0 defeat. He laughed at that memory then said,"if you think that was bad you should have seen the way Stevie Heighway of Liverpool destroyed me." No delusions of greatness, just a good dependable pro.

Supa Pard
06-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the old memories everyone.
Like I said, I was only very little when he was in the Palace team that I was first taken to watch.
Everyone who has posted on here and has met him have backed up my opinion of what a lovely fella he is though.
Local lad too.
:p

WestBerksPalace
06-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Have seen him in the Claret/Addiscombe on occasions in the past. Echo other sentiments, top fella.

Nigelbrag
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Started as the Palace No. 4 to Kember's No. 8 in midfield. Moved to right-back towards the end of the 1970-71 season as John Sewell wound down his Palace career and played there for 71-72 and most of 72-73 seasons.

Often meet him outside the main stand before a game (he's always about) and a real gent.

Thanks for that Ian, I always felt he was a good honest pro who gave 100%, nice to know after all those years he is still a fan/supporter.
You mention about him acting as a real gent, that unfortunately is a thing of the past, with our current pampered prima donna footballers (not all admittedly) just not interested.

Breaking rocks
06-10-2015, 11:38 PM
That is a huge understatement. He was a permanent member of the midfield in the 69 promotion winning team, and for the next two years when, amazingly, we managed to stay in the top flight. I believe he also won one under-23 cap for England.
He always put in a full shift but he was also classy. Not classy enough for the very top teams but classy enough to be rarely out of his class when we played those teams

I gave an honest and complimentary response, from my own personal recollection, to the question asked. Quite why you felt a reason to quote my, extremely brief, post as in someway derogatory, baffles me.

By what other posters have said on here, Mr Payne appears to be a genuinely lovely man so let's keep this 'classy' in respect of that.

ammiller
07-10-2015, 08:14 AM
Gentleman is the best way of summing him up.
His son Graham posts on here as "Payney".

KYLIE MINEAGLE
07-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Just rewatched the centenary dvd . David , who was one of my boyhood heros features a fair bit .especially in the 5 - 0 drubbing of the wankairs.

Payney
07-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Gentleman is the best way of summing him up.
His son Graham posts on here as "Payney".

Cheers Aiden :D

Great to see so many nice comments about the old man. If you see him around Selhurst and remember the 60s or 70s at Palace then do have a chat. His memory regarding games and players from that era is pretty good considering how many of those heavy balls he headed.

As stated he didn't get many goals (12 in 326 games) but I think his favourite was the one at West ham as it went through Bobby Moore's legs when he was stood on the line.

CPFC2010
07-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Great to see so many nice comments about the old man. If you see him around Selhurst and remember the 60s or 70s at Palace then do have a chat. His memory regarding games and players from that era is pretty good considering how many of those heavy balls he headed.

As stated he didn't get many goals (12 in 326 games) but I think his favourite was the one at West ham as it went through Bobby Moore's legs when he was stood on the line.

Payney, your Dad's a top bloke and I often have a chat with him at Selhurst. It's great that a player from his generation is a fan and still comes to our games - and is the link to many other ex players.

I hope he's enjoying the success of the current team

He was playing when I came to Palace for the first time in 1969.

All the best

Steve Browett

Payney
07-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Payney, your Dad's a top bloke and I often have a chat with him at Selhurst. It's great that a player from his generation is a fan and still comes to our games - and is the link to many other ex players.

I hope he's enjoying the success of the current team

He was playing when I came to Palace for the first time in 1969.

All the best

Steve Browett

Thanks Steve, He is absolutely loving watching Palace at present. He has always enjoyed seeing talent coming through the youth system as he did 50 odd years ago.

I think he appreciates the skill and unpredictability of our wingers the most at present and would not fancy trying to mark them!

tony 1947
07-10-2015, 04:00 PM
For those interested here is a couple of reports of the West Ham game which I saw.
The pitch like many in those days was in a bit of a state.

DARZET EAGLE
07-10-2015, 05:21 PM

I remember your Dad well, he was a footballer first and foremost with skill and vision. Not a superstar maybe, but he did his job well, was dependable and was an important team member.

luckyoldgladys
07-10-2015, 06:07 PM
I remember him scoring a late equaliser against, I think it was, Nottm Forest.
Squeezed it in from near the touchline.

Supa Pard
07-10-2015, 11:14 PM

That's a lovely dad you've got there. Just like mine. Except mine hated football and yet he still took me older bruv to every home game (from around '58 to '64) until he was old enough to go by himself.
I recognised your dad straight away. I was so pleased that my boy came out of the toilet in time for me to introduce him and shake hands (he washes his hands after visiting the loo. Me and his mum have dragged him up quite well). He was looking for you apparently.
Like I said, lovely bloke.

StonePenge
07-10-2015, 11:46 PM
I remember him as being consistent and quite stylish.Can't recall a single bad game. I hope to be around SP to say hallo one day.

mrgins
08-10-2015, 01:46 AM
Used to work with his uncle in the 60s. Remember David's first game for the first team. Had the pleasure of meeting up with him a couple of days before speronis testimonial and he even remembered my name when I ran into him a few days later. Very nice man

Am Phibian
12-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Wonder what all his team mates from back in 1970-ish are doing? My first Palace X1. I can visually remember Mr Payne, Tony Taylor, Jacko, John Craven, John 'Yogi' Hughes but that's about it.

Lawd Elpus
12-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Wonder what all his team mates from back in 1970-ish are doing? My first Palace X1. I can visually remember Mr Payne, Tony Taylor, Jacko, John Craven, John 'Yogi' Hughes but that's about it.

John Craven, I think, passed away some time ago (no kids, he is not the same John Craven from Countryfile or for even older kids, off Newsround!) - funny thing, I was chatting to Jim Cannon at the Palace Beer Festival this year and asking him about Yogi who was an ex-Celtic European Cup Winner (along with Willy Wallace) and asked if he knew that Sunderland's 1973 FA Cup winning captain Billy was John's brother - and Jim told me Yogi and Billy were not related!

You can't always rely on what the players tell you!

N Herts Eagle
12-10-2015, 05:28 PM
John Craven, I think, passed away some time ago (no kids, he is not the same John Craven from Countryfile or for even older kids, off Newsround!) - funny thing, I was chatting to Jim Cannon at the Palace Beer Festival this year and asking him about Yogi who was an ex-Celtic European Cup Winner (along with Willy Wallace) and asked if he knew that Sunderland's 1973 FA Cup winning captain Billy was John's brother - and Jim told me Yogi and Billy were not related!

You can't always rely on what the players tell you! Your right John passed away in 1996 from a heart attack at the age of 49 From the same era Sam Goodwin has also passed away at the age of 61 in 2005.
Missing from the list of players I would add Bobby Kellard and Bobby Bell who arrived at around the same time as Yogi and Willie Wallace

jimos_uk
12-10-2015, 06:41 PM

I was about to post that I was sure that his son was around here somewhere, having met him once (and thought he was a thoroughly nice chap).

Also, I can honestly say that I don't recall seeing a photo of your Dad before - blimey, you do look like him IIRC (even in the absence of hair...!)

Gilzean
16-10-2015, 02:02 PM
I remembered that team well and I recall there was a player called Alan Pinkey who played in the team who looked very similar to Dave . I kept a scrap book of the Palace team and I think I asked Dave to autograph a picture of Alan ( I was only a 11 years old) by mistake. .

Maiden Eagle
16-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Your right John passed away in 1996 from a heart attack at the age of 49 From the same era Sam Goodwin has also passed away at the age of 61 in 2005.
Missing from the list of players I would add Bobby Kellard and Bobby Bell who arrived at around the same time as Yogi and Willie Wallace

I was aware that John Craven had died but I am amazed it was that long ago !
But I wasn't aware that Sammy Goodwin had passed away, even if that was some time ago, now.
It is always sad that players I used to watch in my youth, are no longer with us. I particularly recall John Craven being a good, brave striker - I remember when he scored twice against Arsenal in 1972 but we still lost the game due to some dubious refereeing:grrr:
As for David Payne, top player and top man !! - He signed me an autograph when he visited my primary school in Kenley in the early 70's !
Great to hear that he still follows the Eagles, nowadays:p

PhuketEagle
17-10-2015, 07:10 AM
It's Alan Pinkney, not Pinkey. He & David Payne had the same haircut & face shape which must have fooled the opposition.

DARZET EAGLE
17-10-2015, 12:43 PM
It's Alan Pinkney, not Pinkey. He & David Payne had the same haircut & face shape which must have fooled the opposition.

Yes, I believe they both grew moustaches as well.

Danny1
19-02-2016, 08:18 PM

I reckon this as correct.