PDA

View Full Version : Steve Brennan RIP

ian king
13-10-2015, 01:15 PM
I have just been informed that sadly Steve Brennan passed away recently aged 57. Steve came through the junior ranks and although he only made 4 first team appearances (and a goal at Lincoln) he was an integral midfield part of our Youth Cup teams in 1976 and 1977.

In the 1976-77 Youth Cup run he played in all eleven games that led up to the two-legged final with Everton. The second leg at Selhurst Park witnessed the only goal of the final scored by Terry Fenwick and was played on the Friday evening 13th May and attracted around 15,000 fans. Others in the team included Billy Gilbert, Peter Nicholas, Ian Walsh, Vince Hilaire and David Fry.

In 1978 Steve joined Plymouth Argyle but only made a handful of appearances there.

Our thoughts are with his family and relatives at this sad time.

ExiledStirling
13-10-2015, 01:23 PM
RIP

jhc
13-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Sad news Ian, and such a young age:(

WestBerksPalace
13-10-2015, 01:53 PM
No age. Yes I remember Steve, and was at those Youth Cup games. Sad news, but thanks for sharing it.

LONDONMAN
13-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Very sad news. Steve was a regular in the Palace Youth teams from 1976 to 1978 when John Cartwright brought through so many great players for us.

Although Palace were in the old Third Division, we got through to the later stages of the Youth Cup in nearly every season from 1975 onwards and Steve Brennan was an integral part of them.

Didn't make many appearances for the 1st team but I certainly remember him and it is a real shame that he has passed away at such a young age, part of times that I will remember fondly for the rest of my Palace supporting life.

kabbott
13-10-2015, 06:14 PM
I have just been informed that sadly Steve Brennan passed away recently aged 57. Steve came through the junior ranks and although he only made 4 first team appearances (and a goal at Lincoln) he was an integral midfield part of our Youth Cup teams in 1976 and 1977.

In the 1976-77 Youth Cup run he played in all eleven games that led up to the two-legged final with Everton. The second leg at Selhurst Park witnessed the only goal of the final scored by Terry Fenwick and was played on the Friday evening 13th May and attracted around 15,000 fans. Others in the team included Billy Gilbert, Peter Nicholas, Ian Walsh, Vince Hilaire and David Fry.

In 1978 Steve joined Plymouth Argyle but only made a handful of appearances there.

Our thoughts are with his family and relatives at this sad time.

RIP Steve Brennan.

I went to both finals. Great times they were too! My memory's not too good but I think Steve was captain in at least one of the finals. Kenny Sansom also played in the first final. I went to the semi-final too that year when we knocked out WBA who had that other good LB at the time, Derek Statham.
Jerry Murphy also played in both finals!

evvo111
13-10-2015, 06:16 PM
RIP.

Jim Cannon
13-10-2015, 06:27 PM
I remember him in youths too. RIP

selhursthoover
13-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Rip Steve. Never saw Steve play but always sad when one of the Palace family pass away.

cad
15-10-2015, 11:39 AM
Sad to hear. It should also be recorded that Steve was captain of that team that won the Youth Cup in 1977. Here he is with the cup and that year's successful youth side which became the nucleus of the "Team of the 80s".

DARZET EAGLE
15-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Sad to hear. It should also be recorded that Steve was captain of that team that won the Youth Cup in 1977. Here he is with the cup and that year's successful youth side which became the nucleus of the "Team of the 80s".

Some great names in that picture who flourished at senior level.

RIP Steve

ammiller
15-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Sad news.
Would love to see a lineup of that pic.....

French Eagle
15-10-2015, 02:02 PM
RIP. Steve. I went to the youth cup final games, great atmosphere, great young team. So young to pass, thoughts and prayers to his family at this difficult time.

LONDONMAN
15-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Sad news.
Would love to see a lineup of that pic.....

Had to dig my old programmes to find some of the names and couldn't find one player in the back row of the pic - but here goes:

Back Row: Vince Hilaire, Chris Sparks, Terry Fenwick, unknown player, Steve Payne.

Middle Row: Ron Johnson (coach), Steve Lovell, Billy Gilbert, Jerry Murphy, David Fry, Steve Vaughan, Peter Nicholas, Kenny Sansom, Alan Harris (coach),

Front Row: Kevin Dare, Peter Ransom, Steve Brennan, Ian Walsh, Steve Leahy.

Trying to think who the unknown player is, it could be Neil Banfield but really not sure.

cad
15-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Had to dig my old programmes to find some of the names and couldn't find one player in the back row of the pic - but here goes:

Back Row: Vince Hilaire, Chris Sparks, Terry Fenwick, unknown player, Steve Payne.

Middle Row: Ron Johnson (coach), Steve Lovell, Billy Gilbert, Jerry Murphy, David Fry, Steve Vaughan, Peter Nicholas, Kenny Sansom, Alan Harris (coach),

Front Row: Kevin Dare, Peter Ransom, Steve Brennan, Ian Walsh, Steve Leahy.

Trying to think who the unknown player is, it could be Neil Banfield but really not sure.

Bang on. The one you're missing is Gary Lowe, currently manager at Hyde United.

Kylie_Tracey
15-10-2015, 04:49 PM
I'll tell Kevin Dare

LONDONMAN
15-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Bang on. The one you're missing is Gary Lowe, currently manager at Hyde United.

Cheers Neil! There was a great article on Steve Brennan in one of the programmes at the end of the 1976/77 season and he mentioned the 6-0 hiding we gave to Spurs at White Hart Lane in the Semi-Final of the 1977 FA Youth Cup (Palace won 8-0 on aggregate) and said they had beaten both Arsenal and Chelsea in previous rounds, but that was the game where it all clicked.

I think that was my favourite match watching that great Youth Team and I doubt we have assembled so many good players before or since.

cad
15-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Cheers Neil! There was a great article on Steve Brennan in one of the programmes at the end of the 1976/77 season and he mentioned the 6-0 hiding we gave to Spurs at White Hart Lane in the Semi-Final of the 1977 FA Youth Cup (Palace won 8-0 on aggregate) and said they had beaten both Arsenal and Chelsea in previous rounds, but that was the game where it all clicked.

I think that was my favourite match watching that great Youth Team and I doubt we have assembled so many good players before or since.

The game at Spurs was certainly eventful. Also, a large number of the goals were scored late in the second half.

Harry Bassett
15-10-2015, 07:53 PM
That youth team was in many ways the start of huge potential for the club and us supporters. Lots of the players were attracted to Palace because of Big Mal and the coaching ability of Johnny Cartwright and Terry Venables.

Obviously It went Pear shaped but what a great time to be a Palace supporter.

RIP- Steve , thanks for the memories

ian king
15-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Cheers Neil! There was a great article on Steve Brennan in one of the programmes at the end of the 1976/77 season.

Found it (v Sheff Wed 23 April). Will scan and send on to his family. Does anyone have a spare Youth Cup Final programme v Everton at SP I could give to them. I understand they are making a scrapbook of his time with Palace.

It's good to read all these memories about Steve and the YC players.

Brumie Allan
16-10-2015, 07:20 AM
RIP Steve, great memories from that time.

Kylie_Tracey
16-10-2015, 11:12 AM
wasn't Steve Lovell the player from team that really failed to make an impact?

kabbott
16-10-2015, 12:09 PM

He was a defensive midfielder who also played at FB from time to time.
He then went to Millwall and for some reason they played him up front and he started scoring for fun. I think he even became a full international for Wales.
It was winger Stephen Leahy who never made it though he was a prolific goalscorer for the Youth team and the reserves.

cad
16-10-2015, 10:33 PM

Steve Lovell played a fair few games for Palace 1st team and went on to carve out a full career in the Football League, notably at Millwall, as has been mentioned, and Gillingham. Since retiring from playing, he has also had a succession of non-league manager roles and is now, I believe, 1st team coach at Gillingham.

Some of the more "fringe" players from that team are less easy to track down. Would be interesting to know what some of them are up to now.

cad
16-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Dave Fry also achieved the rare distinction for a goalkeeper of scoring in a match from a goal kick. He achieved this by scoring the second goal for Yeovil in a Conference game against Slough Town in April 1991. What makes his performance even more unusual is that he also saved a penalty in that game.

Nigelbrag
17-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Just read the very sad news, Steve Brennan was a decent tidy midfield player unfortunately never quite at the highest level, but was a vital part of a very good Palace youth team.
But very sad to read he passed away at aged just 57.
R.I.P

tauranga rob
17-10-2015, 09:09 AM
RIP Steve. A member of the Palace family during that great period from 1976-81.

Breaking rocks
17-10-2015, 09:25 PM
So sorry to hear this very sad news.
For what it's worth, I was one of the 15,000.

Kylie_Tracey
18-10-2015, 01:05 PM
I worked with Kevin Dare, he received a bad back injury after he broke very briefly into the first team, Mullery released him, he had a very brief spell in Belgium and played a few games for Enfield, he always spoke about Derek Jefferies being the best player he ever played with.

Danny1
24-10-2015, 10:03 AM
RIP Steve
I was at the home leg of the Everton final
We were all initially placed at an uncovered end
It started to pour so we all ran to one of the covered sides of the ground

Supa Pard
25-10-2015, 10:49 AM
R.I.P

eagleash
22-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Did Steve MacKenzie play in one of those finals? I seem to remember him in the picture often on the front of the 77/78 programmes. (The oblong ones like A4 turned through 90 degrees).