PDA

View Full Version : The ones that got away: Croydon footballers.

Am Phibian
20-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Good enough to have played for Palace but never did.

Ian Dawes - left back. Ashburton Schoolboy I think. QPR and Millwall for him. Must be around 30 years ago.

Carlton Cole

Any others?

Wolfnipplechips
20-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Kieron Gibbs.

Arsenal, England and .......Riddlesdown.

maestro
20-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Steve Sidwell Woodcote.

cpfc4evandeva
20-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Are you from Croydon, Maestro?

maestro
20-10-2015, 08:46 AM

Steve Kember gave me the push from Palace, worst decision the club ever made ;)

DARZET EAGLE
20-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Darren Bent, Riddlesdown

Wolfnipplechips
20-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Darren Bent, Riddlesdown

You sure mate?

jaspercpfc
21-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Nigel Reo-Coker & Freddy Eastwood :p

Am Phibian
21-10-2015, 12:46 PM
David Price: one that didn't get away but one that everyone who saw him play wished he had.

mushroom
21-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Good enough to have played for Palace but never did.

Ian Dawes - left back. Ashburton Schoolboy I think. QPR and Millwall for him. Must be around 30 years ago.

Carlton Cole

Any others?

Ian Dawes played in the Croydon Sunday League for my team 20 years ago ish.

Lombardarian
21-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Tis link seems relevant - although I am sure someone once told me Nigel Reo Coker was in their class at Riddlesdown: http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/football/4846114.Croydon_Schools__proud_footballing_legacy/

Chocky
21-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Balotelli, St. Joseph's College. Maybe a different one. Oh and he wasn't black then.

DARZET EAGLE
21-10-2015, 10:00 PM
You sure mate?

Sorry, my mistake I meant Nigel Reo Coker as the next post reminded me!

salad fan club
21-10-2015, 10:19 PM
Steve Kember gave me the push from Palace, worst decision the club ever made ;)

So are you an ex player ?

Del Fenner
21-10-2015, 10:53 PM
David Price: one that didn't get away but one that everyone who saw him play wished he had.

Comedy player. Even when he scored against the Arse at Highbury. :clown:

dweedman
21-10-2015, 11:29 PM
My mate Josh from Dixon road was invited to Barnet trials years ago, didn't bother to go as he found playing runescape all day a much more attractive proposition. For all we know, he could've been the next Ian Wright.

tony 1947
22-10-2015, 04:43 AM
Along time ago but Marvin Hinton who played for Charlton & Chelsea went to school in Croydon and lived in Woodside.

Grim Reaper
22-10-2015, 07:38 AM
We don't have a manager for this Croydon Elite XI yet.....so who better than England boss Roy Hodgson.

maestro
22-10-2015, 10:25 AM
So are you an ex player ?

No No nothing as glamorous as that, back in the 90's Steve Kember used to train the youngsters.

thereichstuff
22-10-2015, 11:05 AM

:p:D

Selhurst Celtic
22-10-2015, 11:10 AM
Kieron Gibbs.

Arsenal, England and .......Riddlesdown.

Don't forget Purley Panthers FC.

Chocky
22-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Comedy player. Even when he scored against the Arse at Highbury. :clown:

David Price was a cab driver in Purley where my Palace mate worked. He said Price said to him "everyone at Palace hated me didn't they?"

I never hated him he was one in a long line of has beens we ended up with in the early 80s with no jiss left in their bollocks.

LONDONMAN
22-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Not quite Croydon, but Nathaniel Chalobah went to Bishop Thomas Grant, top of Streatham Common (in Lambeth, but right on the border of Upper Norwood) although he was born in Sierra Leone.

I think there are many from Streatham that went on to be big stars at other clubs, Mark Dennis is one (who briefly played for us under Stevie Coppell) and Portsmouth 'keeper, Alan Knight, who was one of their longest serving players was also from St. Reatham.

LONDONMAN
22-10-2015, 04:27 PM
David Price was a cab driver in Purley where my Palace mate worked. He said Price said to him "everyone at Palace hated me didn't they?"

I never hated him he was one in a long line of has beens we ended up with in the early 80s with no jiss left in their bollocks.

I always associate David Price with the Noades takeover in 1981, when Uncle Ron brought in Dario Gradi from Wimbledon.

Instead of having a go at staying up, he brought in players like Price, Brian Bason and Tommy Langley (the latter two were Chelsea reserve players, where Gradi had coached earlier in his career) and Jim Cannon said to me once that the rest of the Palace players couldn't believe what Gradi was doing.

Other great names from that dark period in our history were Billy Hughes and Steve Galliers, who will be known to older fans of Gillingham and Wimbledon, but quickly forgotten by anyone who saw them in a Palace shirt!

jaspercpfc
22-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Don't forget Purley Panthers FC.

Are they still any good? The u14 team they had during 94/95 was sublime.

salad fan club
22-10-2015, 08:18 PM
No No nothing as glamorous as that, back in the 90's Steve Kember used to train the youngsters.

Still impressive !

Woosie
22-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Not quite Croydon, but Nathaniel Chalobah went to Bishop Thomas Grant, top of Streatham Common (in Lambeth, but right on the border of Upper Norwood) although he was born in Sierra Leone.

I think there are many from Streatham that went on to be big stars at other clubs, Mark Dennis is one (who briefly played for us under Stevie Coppell) and Portsmouth 'keeper, Alan Knight, who was one of their longest serving players was also from St. Reatham.

Viv Solomon-Otabor is also Bishop Thomas Grant alumni. Not exactly well known but made his debut for Birmingham last season. 19-year-old winger.

TheMexicanHorse
23-10-2015, 05:49 AM
Leacock the ex Derby county defender was born in the Heath. He supports arsenal (shock) but his grandad is a Palace fan.

Also Liam Fontaine of Bristol City used to live behind the Holmesdale road as a kid growing up

Boyandy
23-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Mark Dennis was from Mitcham. He went to my old Middle School and they had his picture in reception as one of the alumini, which was kind of amusing at the time as he had the worst reputation for discipline in football at the time!

Glyn Hodges and Glen Little also went there - neither had much of a Palace career but were decent elsewhere. Carl "image rights" Asaba went to my 6th Form College which was round the corner from the old Mitcham training ground.

The old Chelsea and QPR midfielder Mike Fillery was local too.

tauranga rob
23-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Ian Dawes played in the Croydon Sunday League for my team 20 years ago ish.

I'd forgotten all about him, but this has jogged my memory. I never knew him, but our mums worked together. IIRC his family gave us some tickets to watch Ian play for England Schoolboys at Wembley in the 70s. That was my first visit to Wembley - happier and sadder ones were to follow.