PDA

View Full Version : FA Cup Semi - 1976

jackstacks
06-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Went to this as a 13 year old with my Dad. Big Mal, simply a great team and what a tremendous following.

The result broke my heart to be honest. I thought we could do it. Fedora, cigar. Great times. Thanks for all that to the team and, of course, Big Mal. The ultimate entertainer. Fantastic man.

As a young lad after the defeat, I for some time had a major dislike of Southampton. I so much wanted to beat them and my recollection was that it took 2-3 years to do so at Selhurst. Was it 3-2?

For certain, I remember forgetting the bus and "skipping" down the road to Penge where I got the 227 back to Bromley. Could not have been happier.

None of the rest of the family were into football but I nonetheless could not have been happier. They did not really understand.

Treasured memory - so many more of course from this club. But this was the one that made sure that I knew for certain that this was my club, and I could, from then, never understand someone moving on from one club to another,

1976 - bloody hell. Blink of an eye.:o

DocSavage
07-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Went to this as a 13 year old with my Dad. Big Mal, simply a great team and what a tremendous following.

The result broke my heart to be honest. I thought we could do it. Fedora, cigar. Great times. Thanks for all that to the team and, of course, Big Mal. The ultimate entertainer. Fantastic man.

As a young lad after the defeat, I for some time had a major dislike of Southampton. I so much wanted to beat them and my recollection was that it took 2-3 years to do so at Selhurst. Was it 3-2?

For certain, I remember forgetting the bus and "skipping" down the road to Penge where I got the 227 back to Bromley. Could not have been happier.

None of the rest of the family were into football but I nonetheless could not have been happier. They did not really understand.

Treasured memory - so many more of course from this club. But this was the one that made sure that I knew for certain that this was my club, and I could, from then, never understand someone moving on from one club to another,

It was not a good game to be honest; Southampton got first advantage when their fans got the shed end, palace never got off the blocks and Southampton were better motivated from start to finish and were absolutely filthy on the pitch

got a tad tribal afterwards as well

LONDONMAN
07-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Still hurts! The match was a week before my 13th birthday and is still probably the most disappointing result in over 40 years following Palace.

It made it worse recently, when Mel Blyth admitted he was the guy who told the Southampton **** of a skipper to take out Peter Taylor.

It was only my second full season supporting Palace and I had been to every Cup tie, bar Scarborough in easily our greatest Cup run ever.

Never liked Soutgampton and their smug fans and of course, it was all set up for them with Osgood returning to Stamford Bridgex another smug bastard if ever there was one.

Add to that their filthy captain Rodrigues, McEnema and Micky Horsehead Channon and you have the reason why some of us never really let this particular result go.

Another 40 years and may move on. Perhaps!

Chocky
07-11-2015, 05:40 PM

First time I cried over Palace. But I was 12 almost 13 and after Leeds, Chelsea and Sunderland thought we would win the FA Cup and I'd be there. First in many kicks in the bollocks for me back then.

Southampton's only tactic was to f*ck Taylor which they did within 15 minutes. We really did rely on him.

Ardent Eagle Forever
07-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Remember the draw for the semi. It was the draw we all wanted, sham it went tits up. What a great cup run though. Loved Malcolm Allison for that and his comments when the game went into extra time for that semi v Liverpool. Only pundit who reckoned we would do it.

He drank champagne and he smoked cigars, Malcolm, Malcolm................ Lets me hear you now!!!

Nth Kent Eagle
07-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Scummers were dirty.

PIE "N" MASH
07-11-2015, 09:02 PM
76-the year me dad took me to me first game,magic:lux::lux:

davech
07-11-2015, 09:49 PM
It might have all been so different.

Drawn away from the 2nd Round on, we were on the crest of a wave. After the slightly fortunate win at non-league Scarborough in Round 3 (they had borrowed fencing from Scarborough Zoo to help keep us in :D), I remember leading a chorus of "Liverpool, Liverpool you are next", to which a miserable old bill remarked, "In your dreams, sonny!". Well, almost ...

Our cup run had become the talk of the country, and Southampton had obviously done their homework. The atmosphere pre-match was strangely muted. The noise just drifted away in in the shit-hole bowl that was Stamford Bridge. Hard-man Peter Rodrigues had clearly been tasked with "taking care of" Peter Taylor, and that he did - in spades :vader:

With our talisman crocked, we hardly got out of the starting blocks. To make things worse, our considerable lead at the top of Division 3 had been whittled away (no pun intended), and we slipped back down the table, albeit with games in hand. We never got going again; we won once in the last 8 games, and the 'certain promotion' simply evaporated as well.

Big Mal left at the end of the season, to be replaced by Venables. That all ended in tears as well :(

Breaking rocks
07-11-2015, 09:53 PM
It might have all been so different.

Drawn away from the 2nd Round on, we were on the crest of a wave. After the slightly fortunate win at non-league Scarborough in Round 3 (they had borrowed fencing from Scarborough Zoo to help keep us in :D), I remember leading a chorus of "Liverpool, Liverpool you are next", to which a miserable old bill remarked, "In your dreams, sonny!". Well, almost ...

Our cup run had become the talk of the country, and Southampton had obviously done their homework. The atmosphere pre-match was strangely muted. The noise just drifted away in in the shit-hole bowl that was Stamford Bridge. Hard-man Peter Rodrigues had clearly been tasked with "taking care of" Peter Taylor, and that he did - in spades :vader:

With our talisman crocked, we hardly got out of the starting blocks. To make things worse, our considerable lead at the top of Division 3 had been whittled away (no pun intended), and we slipped back down the table, albeit with games in hand. We never got going again; we won once in the last 8 games, and the 'certain promotion' simply evaporated as well.

Big Mal left at the end of the season, to be replaced by Venables. That all ended in tears as well :(

Sadly, the noise drifted away from the open terrace. Who knows how it would have been if we had the shed.

p.s It was written in the stars - Osgood returning to the Bridge.

PhuketEagle
08-11-2015, 08:10 AM
I was there that day too. Very disappointing - I cried for the first & last time after the final whistle as a Palace fan. After that it's been a 'get-used-to-it' rollercoaster ride through the decades. Don't cry now - just get ANGRY & hit things! Grr!

Palace Dan
08-11-2015, 09:10 AM
My first ever game. I have nowt to do with South London, no family, no connections. However my best mate (from South London who had moved to where I lived in Berkshire) had a spare ticket and asked if I would like to go (I was 11 coming on 12 - first game).

Couldn't believe the size of the crowd. Watched the game from a stair well. Bought a red and blue bar scarf outside the ground which I still have and wear on occasion to this day.

Suffice to say as a total glory hunter I have been hooked to the mighty Palace ever since!

My nearest local big team? Southampton!

Nigelbrag
08-11-2015, 10:00 AM
There was so much expectation on us winning that game, and for the fist time in that Cup run we were favourites and sadly we did not/could not raise our game as we had done previously. They came with a plan, and that was to stop Peter Taylor by any methods needed, and boy were they brutal, especially Peter Rodregues spelling?
Came away desperately disappointed, but was so proud of what we achieved in our run up to that day, all with wonderful attacking fluent play that made the whole country sit up and take note of CPFC, all this was achieved as a THIRD division team.

Hal Low
11-11-2015, 09:22 PM
The result hinged on two events. First, Southampton crocking Taylor. Second, the FA banning Big Mal from going to the crowd pre-match to give his prediction. Had they not caged him like that we would have won

BaldEagle96
12-11-2015, 01:14 PM
The only good (and very good) thing about that day was I had 50 on Rag Trade to win the national at 14/1! :) Only rarely have I had a bet since then!