PDA

View Full Version : Pat Eddery dies

ebyeeckeagle
10-11-2015, 05:28 PM
I suspect this could have the record for least replies for a sportsman'a death.

I'm not a huge racing fan nor did I know the guy. But I sort of grew up with him in the background, as my dear old dad was a massive fan and rarely went a day without a couple of bob on him.

I remember his ride on Dancing Brave to this day, nearly 30 years on. I don't know why. Eddery rode the second most winners in British history and was a true true sporting legend. The most shocking thing is his age - I presumed he would have been much older than 63.

Maiden Eagle
10-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Not a great Horse Racing fan either, but I was aware that Pat Eddery was one of the great jockeys.

Very sad, as 63 is no age, but apparently he had been ill for some time (not sure what with?)

RIP

Duffle Coat
10-11-2015, 06:28 PM
I have to say, I shed a tear at this news. I used to see Pat riding in Ireland at the Curragh and Phoenix Park. Had many a memorable day at races there in the late 70s and 80s seeing Pat riding for Robert Sangster and the Arab owners for Vincent O'Brien. The news of his death brought back a lot of memories and thoughts of happy times. He was a tough, hard jockey who got a lot out of horses in England, Ireland and France. May he rest in peace. Thanks for great days Mr Eddery.

swissroll
10-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Won a few quid on a couple of his Derby winners. Came from an era of the very best competing - Carson, Piggott, Cauthen and all. Sad not to make good years

nibalama
10-11-2015, 08:14 PM
RD9EaZrbjdE
Will always remember him on board Pebbles in the Breeders Cup Turf in 1985. A wonderful day for both the Irish & English winning "over there". RIP.

Breaking rocks
10-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Only 63.

RIP

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
11-11-2015, 12:12 AM
anybody with even a slight understanding of the lives of these jockeys live must tip his hat and honour them. We worship winners in many other sports. How many other sportsmen starve themselves skinny, race around at 40 miles per hour in sub zero conditions wearing just a few grams of 'silks' on top of a beast that may kill you in an accident ? and often for modest money and living out of a suitcase in a different hotel every night. The career injuries many jockeys suffer are terrifying. RiP to all the great jockeys of old.

evvo111
11-11-2015, 12:20 AM
RIP to a great jockey.

biggus mickus
11-11-2015, 06:27 AM
RIP. Great jockey.

Timbo
11-11-2015, 06:43 AM
RIP Pat Eddery, Indeed a name one always knows in the background

KYLIE MINEAGLE
11-11-2015, 07:04 AM
One of my favourite jockeys when I had a punt.Can always remember going to Goodwood once and meaning to have a couple of bob on a horse called Young Turk with Pat on it. Got there just as they jumped and it won at about 15/1 , Did'nt back another winner all day, RIP Pat.

kevb
11-11-2015, 01:40 PM
So many memories of the great man. I used to follow racing a lot in the late 80s & early 90s and Pat was such a key figure in that time. The outstanding ride for me was Dancing Brave in the Arc (as already mentioned), but he gave me many other winners too.

63 is too young. RIP Pat.

Al From Bromley
11-11-2015, 02:19 PM
I was saddened by the news as I grew up close to Lingfield racecourse and used to regularly go and watch the likes of Eddery, Carson, Mercer and Piggott plying their trade. Also remember the Grundy Bustino showdown in 1975 at Sandown well. I was 'on' Bustino. Great race that was. Pat rode lots of great winners though and will be sadly missed by the racing fraternity I'm sure. In a week when Lester celebrated his 80th birthday too. 63 is no age.

dannyboy1807
11-11-2015, 02:28 PM
one of the great jockeys.

whose greatest battle was his fight over drink sadly drink won.

#mp3_zone
12-11-2015, 12:43 AM
As others have stated a name you always heard in the background even for non racing fans

Nice article here.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2015/nov/10/pat-eddery-a-life-in-pictures

KYLIE MINEAGLE
21-11-2015, 11:57 AM
As others have stated a name you always heard in the background even for non racing fans

Nice article here.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2015/nov/10/pat-eddery-a-life-in-pictures

Every thing I remember of Pat in a nutshell:(