PDA

View Full Version : How many Palace Generations in your family?

MARK PALACE TILL I DIE
11-11-2015, 08:46 AM
I have got 4 Generations in my family with hopefully more to add

1. My Granddad Horace Streeter supported Palace from around 1930. He actually played a few games for Palace during the Second World War years. I have tried to find some memorabilia of this but would appear to have been lost in time.
2. My dad and all my uncles were Palace supporters from around 1940 through to the 80s or as they passed away. My uncle Jack was a turnstile operator for years and years at the top of the Holmesdale and was responsible for letting all the kids in for free by jumping over the turnstiles. I bet many of you will remember this.
3. My first Palace game was around 1964. I wish I could remember the game but I cant. I think the other team were in white and blue hoop shirts so possibly QPR. I can remember watching the game from the front of the Holmesdale with my cousin and then having a cup of hot Bovril at half time with my dad and uncles at the top corner of the Holmesdale. Many many memories and am still a season ticket holder in the Holmesdale.
4. 4th Generation is my son. His 1st game was around 1992. I can recall Ian Wright was still with us. Dan has got Palace well and truly in his blood and has and still is a season ticket holder in the Holmesdale.
5. Over to you Dan!!!!:p

Timbo
11-11-2015, 08:49 AM
I am the first, my dad supported Arsenal, but it was my brother in law who showed me the light
My son is the second

Maidstoned Eagle
11-11-2015, 08:53 AM
1. Paternal grandfather lived in Penge and used to go to Selhurst in 30's and war years. Also my mums brother usedto go regularly in the 50's and 60's.

2. My dad hated football so it was down to my great uncle Alf to take me. Before that my brother used to go, but he got seduced by Tottenham so was lost.

3. Now me

4. My son Sol is being brainwashed and asked to go to a Palace game for his birthday next year. :)

BaldEagle96
11-11-2015, 08:59 AM
I am the start of what I hope will become a dynasty lasting several generations.

3 of my 4 lads are Palace mad (other one doesn't like football, so can't be mine) and now we are trying to start weaning the 4 grandchildren onto Palace and football. Two boys are promising but they are only 2 whilst the girls don't show any interest in football one bit.

Twilko
11-11-2015, 10:23 AM
My grandad used to go to games at The Nest, but was more interested in the trains going past. Asked me a few years ago if we were still playing there, so not sure I can count him as a fan!

So that makes me second generation.

EagleSE24
11-11-2015, 10:29 AM
I was the first. I subsequently converted my dad to Palace (formerly not really interested in football, and now a season ticket holder), my late grandfather (although he never went to games) and now I'm going to pass on the Palace bug to my son.

So two active generations. Three potential generations and a high of four generations.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
11-11-2015, 10:31 AM
i am the first. But not the last.

WorthingEagle
11-11-2015, 11:47 AM
My Grandpa was officially a Spurs fan, but as they lived in Streatham, took my Dad and uncles to Palace and Charlton. When the time came to choose one or the other, they thankfully all went for Palace. That was a close one.

Bones14
13-11-2015, 01:46 AM
Not sure entirely. I know I started in 75 when I was 4. My dad has been since the 1940's. Pretty sure my grandad who I never met was a fan apparently. My 2 sons are Palace fans as well.
May have to get "DarkStar" to fill me in on the rest of my family seeing he's my cousin and knows more of my family history than I do.

Atm though I have 4 generations.

Dorking .Eagle
13-11-2015, 05:47 AM
4-

- My Grandad, season ticket holder in the Old Stand, lived in Beckenham (died 1986)

- My wife's Dad, lifelong fan, first game 1953. As a young boy him and his group of friends used to meet at Sells Florists and Adam Sells' dad (or was it granddad?) used to take them to games!

- Me (and my wife, and her brother)

- my son, and his cousin

My dad had no interest at all, albeit he dutifully took me a few games when I was young.

N Herts Eagle
13-11-2015, 07:11 AM

1) My maternal Grandad who went to games pre war, as a kid World War One that is so actually saw us in our original home. Then through the stadiums.

2) My Mum attended a few games as she grew up , less so my Dad who had little interest. My Mum still follows the results but think thats more to do with having something to talk about to the family.

3) Me , taken by my Grandad fell in love with club went from the 60's, then after we moved away once I was working went home and away until I got married. As the famliy grew and money tight less so through the 80's then returned home and away through the 90's into the 00's. Had to give up after the third heart attack but still get to odd games but less so now.

4) Eldest son caught the bug came to games with me was a season ticket holder with me for a while, still goes to games when he can taking .....

5) Grandson 6 years old saw Man City at home last season as his first game totally has the Palace bug despite pressure from daughter in laws family to support Arsenal

There are failures youngest son rebelled and supports a mixture of Stevenage Spurs Watford. Wife is Bournemouth, and step daughter is Southampton (after her Dad) however been working on the grandson there he knows the words to various Palace chants, well if they leave me to look after him whilst they go shopping what do they expect me to teach him, Humpty Dumpty. One of the step sons played at semi-pro level in the Bournemouth area, follows Southampton. As a failure my daughter follows football but I am still struggling with the offside rule with her, so she got a degree at uni, what good is that if you dont understand the basics of football.

WhatTheHeckman
13-11-2015, 08:59 AM
1) Grandad since Palace formed in 1905 and Bromley before then).
2)Dad no interest
3)Me since 1955 (and Bromley)
4)Son current
5)Grandchildren current

Mictor Voses
13-11-2015, 09:22 AM
- Grandad since 1929
- Auntie since 1955
- Dad since 1960
- Me since 1992
- Younger sister since 2000

I'm now under a lot of pressure to make my future kids Palace fans!

Latvian Eagle
13-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Two. My Dad started going not long after I was born and then me. Hopefully my son one day will make three, but he's not really interested in football at the moment.

Olympian2
16-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Three - my Dad first took me in 1974 when I was five. My two (8 and 6) both wear the Red n Blue in sunny Cambridgeshire and I will be taking my eldest to her first game at Selhurst next Feb vs Watford, the day after her 9th birthday.

She found my Palace monopoly recently. It was a great introduction for her.
'Dad, I'd like to buy another stand on Stevie Kember, please'.
'Ooh Dad, bad luck - you've landed on AJ - that's 22 please'

We'll also be taking two of my nephews to the Watford game - both are officially Chelsea but both are on the conversion course (one asked for a Palace kit for a recent birthday, both will attend the Watford game as Palace supporters).

charltonhater
16-11-2015, 08:16 PM
When I was a young boy my father said to me,
Listen here my son, you are CPFC! .:lux:

My father was first CPFC fan in the family, but he also said the same thing to his father. So either 2 or 3, depending on how you look at it.

charltonhater
16-11-2015, 08:20 PM
My grandad used to go to games at The Nest, but was more interested in the trains going past. Asked me a few years ago if we were still playing there, so not sure I can count him as a fan!.

Brilliant! How old is your Grandad? Can't be many who remember the Nest.

strolling bones
16-11-2015, 08:51 PM
4 for me with another one generation poised for the ride when the grandchildren are out of nappies .. I believe the some of the family wished they had moved out of bermondsey in the 20's when my grandfather did, and we're not the subject of riddicule at family shindigs where being millwall isnt much fun these days ( if it ever was ) :D

Blind_Eagle
16-11-2015, 10:48 PM
My father was a huge Morton fan but when he moved down from Scotland to London he followed his new local club which was Palalce. I only remember going to a couple of palace away games with him as a real nipper but I believe he took my elder brother to Selhurst Park when he was a young un. (Bizarrely I was just allowed to go to games with other local kids from about the age of 8 for Saturday kick offs. I wasn't allowed to go to an evening game until I was nearly 11!)

I'm now the proud grandfather of two palace mad grandchildren.

I make that four generations. :)

eagles #1
16-11-2015, 10:51 PM
3rd. Grandad moved to South Norwood from Dublin, and so it began.

anti-addick
16-11-2015, 11:02 PM
I am the start of what I hope will become a dynasty lasting several generations.

3 of my 4 lads are Palace mad (other one doesn't like football, so can't be mine) and now we are trying to start weaning the 4 grandchildren onto Palace and football. Two boys are promising but they are only 2 whilst the girls don't show any interest in football one bit.

Doesn't matter. They still count.

4 generations for me, though my grandfather on my father's side was a Geordie. It's the breadth of Palace support in the family though, numerous uncles and aunts all Palace, and loads of cousins all Palace. It's like the roots of a big Palace tree.

FourtyTwo
16-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Just me :(
Dad is a Newcastle fan, as was his Dad. His Mum, and my brother, are Wet Spam.

I am the first of my line to support the Red and Blue Army, and unless I can get one of my daughters in to football, the last as well!

danpalace07
17-11-2015, 12:44 AM
2 - my grandad is Spurs

Ninjas Headband
17-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Two. My son & myself. My dad has little interest in football but when asked would say he's a Brighton fan. Like I said, little interest in football.

Edenbridge Eagle In Exile
17-11-2015, 07:01 AM
Eeek...... Jay.... Hehehe.....

5 for me

My great grand father who died in 1977 at 92 was there from the very beginning in 1905. My son... Named after the great Jim Cannon is the 5th generation fan :p

dartfordeagle
17-11-2015, 11:27 AM
My 4 year old grandson, whose first visit was Speronis testamonial, is the 6th generation.

dweedman
17-11-2015, 04:25 PM
1st generation here, my brothers and I all support palace, my dad and grandad never had the greatest interest in football, but I do know my great grandfather who ran a couple of pubs in Walworth and Bermondsey, one of them called the Good Intent is still around, was unfortunately a big Millwall fan. My mother comes from a long line of Spanish farmers, so no football history there.

Dorset Knob
17-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Well one set of my great grand parents and my great x2 grandparents lived in in Pawson's Road before Palace even existed. Does that count ?

ob13
17-11-2015, 05:15 PM
my dad is first generation having switched from millwall a few years after moving from bermondsey to south norwood once he was old enough to start going with mates at about 9 years old.Not sure about mums side, my grandad died when i was relatively young and cant remember him talking about football.
so i am 2nd generation and my step kids arent palace. living in dorset 1 claimed to support arsenal but i took the piss constantly until he switched to bournemouth which can be morally justified so i stopped the eviction proceedings! the others have no interest in football
my brothers and sisters all have kids and have a success rate of about 50% which isn't too bad as we have been living in dorset since 1987 and long before any of the nephews and nieces were born!

Terrace Bickle
20-11-2015, 06:29 PM
1. My dad started supporting Palace at some point in the 50's and has been going ever since. I think the attraction was that they weren't Millwall and ran up a couple of cricket scores at the time. I don't think he took into account that it was in 3rd Division South. He even persuaded my mum to attend games throughout the 60's. She even started attending again during the Coppell era.
2. He started taking myself and my brother (and a wooden stool to stand on) mid 70's when I was three years old and my brother was five. This was purely to get us from under my mum's feet. After the initial success of the team of the 80's you can understand that most of my school days, growing up in prime Millwall territory of Hither Green, were a battle.
3. I have started the brain-washing process early with my 2 children. My 6 year old daughter who although she doesn't display much interest in football will cheer when Palace score. This may be due to PTSD, as my celebration of the goals during THE Sheff Wed game in 2010 almost gave her a heart attack (she was under a year old).
My 4 year old boy is now taking a proper interest, mainly through playing at a kids club on a Saturday. I have advised him he is a Palace fan and he seems pretty happy with that at the moment, and so he should be with us being in potentially the most successful phase of our history.

old geezer
23-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Just got it up to 3 with my youngest grandson
His dad, my son in law supports Man Utd as does his eldest son, but young Charlie is now a big Palace fan.
We even got a birthday picture in the Villa programme for him this season

Laboureagle
23-11-2015, 12:59 PM
4- Grandad took me when I was 6 Palace v Chelsea 1973.
His 2 sons were fans and had been going off and on since 1950's. My Dad played for reserves and youth team in 1961. Dad and uncle sit with me now.
Then me and my Uncle's kids,( my cousin Grant Watts played for us in the early 1990's.)
Now my two sons, and their cousins.
With wives we have 9 seats in Holmesdale Upper.

Chobham Eagle
23-11-2015, 01:05 PM
At least four.

Both my grandfathers were Palace fans as were my parents. I'm not sure about earlier generations.

My sons are also Palace fans - in particular my youngest, Palace Nutter on here, and I guarantee that any children they have will be Palace fans if Grandpa's got anything to do with it!

OldPeanutSeller
24-11-2015, 12:43 AM
4 that if know of. My dad, me, all my three kids and my grandaughter went to her first game against West Ham a couple of weeks back.

OldPeanutSeller
24-11-2015, 12:45 AM
At least four.

Both my grandfathers were Palace fans as were my parents. I'm not sure about earlier generations.

My sons are also Palace fans - in particular my youngest, Palace Nutter on here, and I guarantee that any children they have will be Palace fans if Grandpa's got anything to do with it!

Both my daughters married Chelsea fans. They both have 2 kids. And in both families one of the kids supports Palace and the other Chelsea. My son was far more sensible and married a Palace woman. So he, his wife and son all follow the Palace

Glazier69
24-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Four generations........ mostly Streatham / Mitcham / Cheam born & bred
Wife's Grandparents 40s - 80s
Wife's Mum 60s-90s (Dad bailed out in the 80s)
Wife & brother in law 70s-present
Brother in law's two daughters 00s-present
Me 60s-present (my Dad was Cardiff and my Mum Fulham)
Our son (was Arsenal until 2004-5 season) and our daughter (was Ch*lsea until 2004-5)

HarrowEagle
24-11-2015, 03:25 PM
first in the family, dad's a spurs fan and mum's side QPR.
stopped the rot thankfully!