PDA

View Full Version : One of John Jackson's understudies

Chocky
26-11-2015, 05:06 PM
I had the pleasure of watching the game on Monday, well pleasure of his company not watching the game, of an ex goalkeeper called Steve Chapman. Nice bloke who lives near me in Spain, he said he had no chance at all at Palace while the great Jackson was there which makes sense. He said his hero was Vic Rouse who he stood behind as a lad and said he was the first ever 4th Division player to represent his county. Does anyone know when he was at Palace, I have a squad photo I can post but there's no year on it. Yes I know I can ask him but no idea when I will see him again and can't work out the year from the photo. I would think late 60s, Kember and Lazarus are in the squad.

Hedgehog
26-11-2015, 05:42 PM
I had the pleasure of watching the game on Monday, well pleasure of his company not watching the game, of an ex goalkeeper called Steve Chapman. Nice bloke who lives near me in Spain, he said he had no chance at all at Palace while the great Jackson was there which makes sense. He said his hero was Vic Rouse who he stood behind as a lad and said he was the first ever 4th Division player to represent his county. Does anyone know when he was at Palace, I have a squad photo I can post but there's no year on it. Yes I know I can ask him but no idea when I will see him again and can't work out the year from the photo. I would think late 60s, Kember and Lazarus are in the squad.
The attached photo is in the nostalgic photo gallery (and on my computer), which I can't find anymore as the home page has gone...

Anyway on the left is Frank Parsons, and on the right is Jacko... so could this be Steve Chapman in the middle?

I seem to remember someone on here telling me who it was. I will dig a bit deeper.

Hedgehog
26-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Did find this so far:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=693124&postcount=153

Hedgehog
26-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Here is the original:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=692194&postcount=139

big bad John
26-11-2015, 11:56 PM
The attached photo is in the nostalgic photo gallery (and on my computer), which I can't find anymore as the home page has gone...

Anyway on the left is Frank Parsons, and on the right is Jacko... so could this be Steve Chapman in the middle?

I seem to remember someone on here telling me who it was. I will dig a bit deeper.

Nice picture Hedgehog. It's ironic viewing it that a lot of ex-pats mock the yanks for using the word 'soccer.'

big bad John
27-11-2015, 12:00 AM
Remember the name but little else. Frank Parsons and Paul Hammond were the two back ups to Jacko that I remember. Saw Parsons a few times playing for the reserves and he looked good, but old Bert wouldn't even give him a start in friendlies. Ended up at Cardiff.

Hedgehog
27-11-2015, 12:15 AM
I thick I saw Frank play in a friendly at Bromley one time. also think he had s brother called Jeff/Geoff in the Palace organization at the time.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
27-11-2015, 05:14 AM
i think you will find Frank Parsons (who was a Sydenham lad 60 Highclere st to be exact) played a handful of games at the end of the 66/67 season the games where we beat Wolves and Hull 4 - 1.

tony 1947
27-11-2015, 06:10 AM

I believe that is Steve Chapman along with John Jackson and Frank Parsons.
Steve played for the juniors late 1960s

Ockleywood
27-11-2015, 07:46 AM

Probably the same squad photo as I have got, this is season 1968/69, claret shirts with thin light blue stripes

Chocky
27-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Probably the same squad photo as I have got, this is season 1968/69, claret shirts with thin light blue stripes

Yes that's it thanks and I had also seen the one with the three keepers.

Maidstoned Eagle
27-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Chocky falls for it eveytime, some old gobber down on his luck tells him he used to play for Palace back in the olden days and then gets free Pacharan and beer all night.

selhursthoover
27-11-2015, 10:20 PM

Know Steve. He was at my wedding. Used to live Stanhope Grove between Eden Park and Elmers End by the railway bridge. Next time you see him tell him Dennis Kenney,s son in law said hi.

Think he moved out only a year or two ago?

Neil the Eagle
29-11-2015, 01:38 AM
Used to live Stanhope Grove between Eden Park and Elmers End by the railway bridge.

The best people do...

selhursthoover
29-11-2015, 06:51 PM
The best people do...

:p

Keenstonian
29-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Went to school (Whitehorse Manor) with Steve. We would have both failed 11 plus in 1963. From the school team that year Steve went on to play for Palace juniors but no further, think he ended up playing at Croydon FC after a spell with Corinthian Casuals where he became the first ever Casuals player to be sent off.. Mark Prior in same Whitehorse team played for Fulham juniors but then ended up playing park footie. Started his own printing business.

Vic Rouse lost his place to Bill Glazier and ended up managing Corinthian Casuals.

Sorry to ramble. Regards, John Keen

Harry Bassett
29-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Vic Rouse also managed the Metropolitan Police team for a lengthy spell.