PDA

View Full Version : Nicky Sansom/Gary Grabban

cappuccinoeagle
25-12-2015, 08:13 PM
I got the 1980 Crystal Palace Annual for Christmas, there's a team photo in it entitled ' New Generation At Palace' which is presumably is the youth team of that year and includes the two above names. Anyone know if these guys are related to Kenny Sansom and Lewis Grabban?

Captain Black
26-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Don't know about Sansom but I seem to remember Gary Grabban being ginger (we were both at Selhurst High School but in different years) so it's unlikely that there's any connection to Lewis.

ElwissAtMemphis
26-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Don't know about Sansom but I seem to remember Gary Grabban being ginger (we were both at Selhurst High School but in different years) so it's unlikely that there's any connection to Lewis.

Someone on here once assured me that Gary was Lewis' father but I have no idea about the veracity of that claim. If the OP has the photo in question then he can doubtless confirm whether Gary was a ginge or black. My vague recollection is that it was the latter.

I remember Palace having a Sansome or some other spelling slightly different to Kenny's surname (a keeper maybe) but that's not to say there wasn't another Sansom. I don't really know why I've replied because I clearly don't know the answer.

Super Mabbutt
27-12-2015, 12:01 AM
I remember Palace having a Sansome or some other spelling slightly different to Kenny's surname (a keeper maybe) but that's not to say there wasn't another Sansom. I don't really know why I've replied because I clearly don't know the answer.

That would be Paul Sansome. Was on our youth books but never played in the first team. Went on to play in goal for Millwall and Southend.

LONDONMAN
27-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Kenny Sansom did have a brother that briefly played in the Palace juniors. I read that Gary Grabban is Lewis Grabban's dad, but it has not been confirmed, I get the feeling that Keith Millen was a Palace junior about the same time as Gary Grabban, so he may have some idea.

cad
27-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Kenny Sansom did have a brother that briefly played in the Palace juniors. I read that Gary Grabban is Lewis Grabban's dad, but it has not been confirmed, I get the feeling that Keith Millen was a Palace junior about the same time as Gary Grabban, so he may have some idea.

Lewis Grabban is the son of former Palace player Gary Grabban

LONDONMAN
27-12-2015, 12:07 PM
Lewis Grabban is the son of former Palace player Gary Grabban

Cheers Neil, after looking through, I think Dave Sansom was Kenny's brother that also played for Palace juniors and went on to play for clubs such as Aylesbury, Barnet and Tooting.

Kylie_Tracey
27-12-2015, 12:11 PM
That would be Paul Sansome. Was on our youth books but never played in the first team. Went on to play in goal for Millwall and Southend.

Paul Sansome? was a reserve team keeper for a while then went to Millwall I think

cappuccinoeagle
27-12-2015, 03:49 PM
N Sansom on the right

Grabban in the middle

Captain Black
27-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the pics cappuccinoeagle - I was worrying about my memory there. Doesn't mean that he isn't Lewis's father of course. A reflection of football in the 70's in that there are no black players at all in that youth team.

cappuccinoeagle
27-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Someone in my family worked with Lewis' grandmother and I believe Lewis is mixed race, so its feasible Lewis' father is white

LONDONMAN
27-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the pics cappuccinoeagle - I was worrying about my memory there. Doesn't mean that he isn't Lewis's father of course. A reflection of football in the 70's in that there are no black players at all in that youth team.

I'm pretty sure there have been black players in nearly all Palace youth teams since 1970 at least. Two of the earliest I can remember are Malcolm Beason and Mark Lindsay and of course Vince Hilaire was the outstanding player that made the biggest impact at first team level.

To be fair, most London clubs had a representation of all nationalities in the 70's, so I think it's not quite true to say it reflects on youth football in the 70's.

DARZET EAGLE
27-12-2015, 05:44 PM
N Sansom on the right

Grabban in the middle

As they say on X Factor...nailed it.

bb balley
02-01-2017, 07:06 AM
I am trying to trace Nicky Sansom- who went to USA in early/mid eighty's with regards a football scholarship and your CPFC link came up

We lived near each other in Swanley Kent in 70s and 80s
I was in the same Swanley Comprehensive school team as Nick's brother Jon 71-75

Nick is the cousin to Kenny and his brother David (who I played against when he played for the top sunday side "279" who always done well in the FA sunday cup) obviously by the surname Nick/Jon father John is the brother of Kenny/David's dad where their were brought up from Tulse Hill area.

Hope this helps - Colin

bb balley
02-01-2017, 07:31 AM
lived near Nicky in Swanley Kent (used to train with him pushed by his dad John)

played in same Swanley Comprehensive school early 70's as Nicky's
elder brother Jon

Nick went to USA on a football scolarship in early / mid 80s

Mr Bo Jangles
02-01-2017, 08:39 AM
Was at school with Gary Grabban and in the same class at Norbury Manor and we both played for the school team. Gary was a centre forward and also played for Croydon schoolboys and may also have been selected for Surrey schoolboys. Thought he went to Stanley Tech with me but someone else says he went to Selhurst so probably my fading memory. Same school year as Timmy Elms and Ian Dawes who both went on to play for Chelsea (briefly) and Qpr respectively. Gary is Lewis's father.

LONDONMAN
02-01-2017, 09:06 AM
Was at school with Gary Grabban and in the same class at Norbury Manor and we both played for the school team. Gary was a centre forward and also played for Croydon schoolboys and may also have been selected for Surrey schoolboys. Thought he went to Stanley Tech with me but someone else says he went to Selhurst so probably my fading memory. Same school year as Timmy Elms and Ian Dawes who both went on to play for Chelsea (briefly) and Qpr respectively. Gary is Lewis's father.

Didn't Ian Dawes go to Ashbuton school after Norbury Manor - sure my school St Joseph's (SE19) played against him there when he was still a junior at QPR?

Mr Bo Jangles
02-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Think Dawes was at Lanfranc not sure which secondary school he went to; played against him a few times and got him to play for our Sunday league team a couple of times which was a real coup at the time.

supaeagles
02-01-2017, 06:36 PM
My son works for Gary Grabban. Gary is definitely Lewis's dad!
Gary went to Selhurst School.
Ian Dawes is my brother-in-law. He went to Davidson and then Heath Clark. He played for QPR and Millwall.
As far as I know they are friends.

mushroom
02-01-2017, 06:54 PM
My son works for Gary Grabban. Gary is definitely Lewis's dad!
Gary went to Selhurst School.
Ian Dawes is my brother-in-law. He went to Davidson and then Heath Clark. He played for QPR and Millwall.
As far as I know they are friends.

Also played for my Sunday league team as a ringer once.