PDA

View Full Version : How would our star strikers of bygone days cope in the Premier League?

DARZET EAGLE
09-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Cliff Holton, Johnny Byrne, Don Rogers, Peter Taylor, Chris Armstrong, Dave Swindlehurst, Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Matt Jansen, Clinton Morrison. Just some wonderful examples and most would adapt well in my view given modern fitness regimes, diets and kit. Blimey I could imagine Cliff Holton bursting our modern footballs!

ExiledStirling
09-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Modern day thinking over tactics would never(or rarely) have seen Bright and Wright starting together. However 4-4-2 appears to be raising its head again, so maybe eventually one of the greatest striker partnerships would have been recognised in this modern era.

Baffled Bob 2
09-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Good thread Darzet. Your first two predate even an old git like me.

I think Ian Wright would struggle without a big lad next to him. If Dwight Gayle had a Mark Bright I genuinely think we'd be looking at a superstar.

Of all of the ones that you list (that I've seen), I'd say Chris Armstrong would be most suited.

David of Kent
09-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Thinking of the ones I saw -

Swindlehurst would have had a chance of having a bit of a Premier League career (c'mon, Grant Holt did for a while)

Armstrong would have been fine

Taylor would have definitely played at the top level as a wide forward and hopefully medical improvements would have kept him more injury free

Clinton, probably not.

Jansen, I'd have thought so as a 2nd forward playing deeper or wider.

Bright and Wright yes they'd have both found a way

Chris Jones and Tommy Langley? No

Nigelbrag
09-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Cliff Holton, Johnny Byrne, Don Rogers, Peter Taylor, Chris Armstrong, Dave Swindlehurst, Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Matt Jansen, Clinton Morrison. Just some wonderful examples and most would adapt well in my view given modern fitness regimes, diets and kit. Blimey I could imagine Cliff Holton bursting our modern footballs!

I have to say "Darzet" not seen Byrne nor Holton play, but the others were a class apart especially the wingers from any of our current stock. As for the strikers, each and every one had their own very special qualities and would light up any Palace team, also most premiership teams without a problem.
The one that fascinates me is big Dave Swindlehurst, to be honest he would get stick back in the days from some Palace fans as many did not appreciate his many strengths. His style would be made for the Lone Striker role that is favoured by many today, his movement off the ball also taking up wide roles then coming inside was so effective, not forgetting his hold up play and heading ability would be heaven sent for a current Palace team.
I would also like to add the fantastic Jim Cannon to that list as without doubt our finest ever CB, so underrated and underused at International level due mainly to Alan Hansen playing for Liverpool getting the nod. Pity the Scotland manager did not have the vision to pair them together, what a combination they would have been.

Ardent
09-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Most of the names in your list did play in the top division and several did, had or went on to play for England, not all of them were true strikers though.

On that basis some other names worth considering - Simpson, Allen, Deakin, Burridge, Woodruff, Queen, Jackson, Birchenall, Hughes, Tambling, Craven, Hughes, Whittle, Harkouk, Mabbutt, Hilaire, Ndah, Irvine, Routledge and who could forget Uphill !!

big bad John
09-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Peter Taylor arguably one of, if not the best player to pull on a Palace shirt might have had a problem with the modern rules. He had an uncanny ability to chase back, slide in and rap his leg around the opposing player to claim the ball, get up and turn around in one movement then head off towards goal. Never saw a player accomplish this as much, or as well as Taylor. Nowadays with the differing interpretations of the rules he would probably me penalized every time and have to give up this unique skill from his game.
With added protection from refs, the likes of Don Rogers and Whittle would take to the Premiership with ease.

big bad John
09-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Most of the names in your list did play in the top division and several did, had or went on to play for England, not all of them were true strikers though.

On that basis some other names worth considering - Simpson, Allen, Deakin, Burridge, Woodruff, Queen, Jackson, Birchenall, Hughes, Tambling, Craven, Hughes, Whittle, Harkouk, Mabbutt, Hilaire, Ndah, Irvine, Routledge and who could forget Uphill !!

I think you'll find Wayne Routledge is plying his trade in the Premiership with Swansea

DARZET EAGLE
09-01-2016, 11:23 PM

Great list there Ardent, a trip down memory lane eh?

DARZET EAGLE
09-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Peter Taylor arguably one of, if not the best player to pull on a Palace shirt might have had a problem with the modern rules. He had an uncanny ability to chase back, slide in and rap his leg around the opposing player to claim the ball, get up and turn around in one movement then head off towards goal. Never saw a player accomplish this as much, or as well as Taylor. Nowadays with the differing interpretations of the rules he would probably me penalized every time and have to give up this unique skill from his game.
With added protection from refs, the likes of Don Rogers and Whittle would take to the Premiership with ease.

Indeed Alan Whittle signed by Bert Head from Everton. Pacey blonde striker who scored some fabulous goals in his haul of 19 in 108 matches.

Supa Pard
10-01-2016, 12:48 AM
Wright, Bright and Swindlehurst would still hold their own today.
And possibly Aylott.
Well maybe not him.
Due to the fact he was a donkey.
One of those ones that fat people sit on along Blackpool pier.
And then get shot.
And turned into glue.
Aylott. Not the Blackpool donkeys.

thefox
10-01-2016, 08:50 AM
Well Armstrong did score quite a few premier league goals or do you mean in todays faster game ? Maybe, but he maybe have run out of puff.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
10-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I see what you did there.

AddoWolz
10-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Great list of Palace strikers but not one mention of Dougie Freedman , Very clever player that would make a good Number 10 in the modern day game

StevePlus
10-01-2016, 12:25 PM

Difficult to judge the earlier ones, as there's little or no footage. Mike Deakin was OK in Division 4, but no higher. Cliff Jackson played centre-forward in the 68/69 promotion season, despite being only 5 foot 9 and having no heading ability - he took on central defenders like Jack Charlton like a winger with a full back. Tambling was past it for us and some others, like Craven, were no more than about OK. Ronnie Allen was mainly a winger for us, although he was previously known as a "deep-lying centre forward" - not actually sure what that was.

DARZET EAGLE
10-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Great list of Palace strikers but not one mention of Dougie Freedman , Very clever player that would make a good Number 10 in the modern day game

I agree but a case of ''the unmentionable with a family to feed''.

DARZET EAGLE
10-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Difficult to judge the earlier ones, as there's little or no footage. Mike Deakin was OK in Division 4, but no higher. Cliff Jackson played centre-forward in the 68/69 promotion season, despite being only 5 foot 9 and having no heading ability - he took on central defenders like Jack Charlton like a winger with a full back. Tambling was past it for us and some others, like Craven, were no more than about OK. Ronnie Allen was mainly a winger for us, although he was previously known as a "deep-lying centre forward" - not actually sure what that was.

Welcome Steve, obviously a fellow long term Palace fan. I recall Jackson did score a small number with his head, although I have a photo with the ball sailing over his head so maybe you are right. Ronnie Allen's days were past him following his signing from WBA. One striker I missed from bygone days was Alan Birchenall who could head a ball. Signed from Chelsea in 1971 he scored 11 in 41 games, staying for one season before moving on to Leicester and scoring a hatful. One lad who could head a ball was Mike Deakin, now 82, he scored 56 goals in 143 appearances.

cranesparkeagle
10-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Good thread Darzet. Your first two predate even an old git like me.

I think Ian Wright would struggle without a big lad next to him. If Dwight Gayle had a Mark Bright I genuinely think we'd be looking at a superstar.

Of all of the ones that you list (that I've seen), I'd say Chris Armstrong would be most suited.

???
Ian Wright got stacks in the Premier league with a variety of strike partners, sadly not with us as he moved on just as that started but we did finish third one year with him lets not forget. 10 times better finisher than Gayle and at least as quick as AJ who would be the better comparison. Armstrong should have done. Had everything required. I think Swindlehurst would have done fine in a Mark Bright sort of role and Bright was clever, powerful and knew where the goal was. Freedman did play but struggled as an out and out striker, but a good number 10. Rogers and Taylor were good wingers in any era.

I believe with diet , training methods , less beer etc , the top flight players then would be the top flight players now. They would also adapt their game to the rules