PDA

View Full Version : Seb Coe, time to go?

wedgetail
15-01-2016, 09:32 AM
The wiff around this man is getting stronger by the day, surely he can't stay in charge.

Adlerhorst
15-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Something to bear in mind here, there is, and has been for some time (since before he got the job), an agenda to get him.

I have no idea if there is a justifiable reason behind that agenda but it certainly exists.

viking's no1
15-01-2016, 09:44 AM
As much as I'd like him to stay and have admired him since seeing him beat Rono at the Old Crystal Palace in 1977, he is either incompetent to have been on the committee and not noticed or he knew about it and did nothing.

I can see the argument that he had to play politics in order to get the top job to then make the changes, but for him not to see that his association with Nike was a problem, suggests he's got too much baggage. The IAAF needs an outsider to come in and just get rid of the drug cheats, former and current. Darren Campbell for President with Kris Akabusi as vice.

Nigelbrag
15-01-2016, 10:17 AM
As much as I'd like him to stay and have admired him since seeing him beat Rono at the Old Crystal Palace in 1977, he is either incompetent to have been on the committee and not noticed or he knew about it and did nothing.

I can see the argument that he had to play politics in order to get the top job to then make the changes, but for him not to see that his association with Nike was a problem, suggests he's got too much baggage. The IAAF needs an outsider to come in and just get rid of the drug cheats, former and current. Darren Campbell for President with Kris Akabusi as vice.

Sums it up perfectly.

What is so annoying in watching Coe being questioned about issues that occurred whilst being part of the set up, and trying to suggest he was not fully aware of the corruption around him and not accepting his responsibility on these issues.
Only to say HE is the man to now turn things around, in effect saying forget what happened previously even though I might well have been aware of it, and refusing to accept his previous responsibilities.
A real shame as he is someone I have admired for such a long time, sadly he is so in denial its embarrassing to watch. For me he would be better advised to walk away, and suggest for all concerned a clean sweep is what is needed.

Nork1
15-01-2016, 10:27 AM
I don't understand why or how he's still there. As IAAF vice president for 8 years if he didn't know what was going on he's incompetent, if he did he's complicit in covering it up.
But that's Coe, he's teflon. The Nike episode has been all but forgotten (as has the wonderful Olympic legacy he planned for the Crystal Palace athletics stadium - the company he chairs and that pays him 2m was going to demolish it).

maestro
15-01-2016, 10:29 AM

Fully agree

wedgetail
15-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Something to bear in mind here, there is, and has been for some time (since before he got the job), an agenda to get him.

I have no idea if there is a justifiable reason behind that agenda but it certainly exists.

He spent 8 years as vice president working closely with Diack, surely he didn't have his head in the sand all that time.

Blatter held Coe in such high esteem he nominated him to the FIFA ethics commission, surely a ringing endoresment.

viking's no1
15-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I don't understand why or how he's still there. As IAAF vice president for 8 years if he didn't know what was going on he's incompetent, if he did he's complicit in covering it up.
But that's Coe, he's teflon. The Nike episode has been all but forgotten (as has the wonderful Olympic legacy he planned for the Crystal Palace athletics stadium - the company he chairs and that pays him 2m was going to demolish it).

What was the legacy for the athletics stadium and why hasn't it happened?

Nork1
15-01-2016, 12:03 PM
What was the legacy for the athletics stadium and why hasn't it happened?

http://insidecroydon.com/2015/02/11/boris-aides-stunned-by-response-to-palace-consultation/
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/bromley/11538646.Running_legend_Sebastian_Coe_is_head_of_c ompany_behind_Crystal_Palace_athletics_stadium_dem olition_plans/
http://insidecroydon.com/2014/10/15/lord-coes-company-behind-plans-to-bulldoze-athletics-stadium/

I believe it was tied in to the Chinese billionaire's plans to develop the site of the Crystal Palace into a massive 6* hotel/'exhibition centre' which never happened. Coe's company ran a consultation giving 4 options, none of which retained the stadium. It would have spoilt the views apparently.

dim
15-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Stunned by Coe's suggesting a year zero for world records.

Lest we forget Coe's own 1981 800m record lasted for 16 years and there are only two individuals since then who have bettered it.

Wolfnipplechips
15-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Tory boy.

Enabler.

Dodgy.

Pistol Knight
15-01-2016, 11:40 PM
It all smells like FIFA to me, time to disband & start again with NEW people in every dept.

Nork1
24-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Adidas just announced they're pulling their IAAF sponsorship 4 years early...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/35385415
Coe's take on this should be interesting.

El Aguila
25-01-2016, 12:04 AM
Tory boy.

Enabler.

Dodgy.

You forgot, Chelsea fan.