PDA

View Full Version : Nick Chatterton

Jim Cannon
17-01-2016, 10:16 AM
After reading the Phil Holder thread, it reminded me of Nicky Chatterton. Though he went on to play a long time for Millwall, as a small kid, he was one of the first players I remember, and living in Upper Norwood his dad Len, lived a couple of roads away from us and remember being starstruck seeing Nick in the neighbourhood once or twice. He had a bit of a short fuse at times but I liked him and was disappointed when he left in the 78-79 season, but we did bring back Kember.

Memories anyone?

Kylie_Tracey
17-01-2016, 10:21 AM
I remember him as well, a tidy midfielder, and a member of the team I saw for the very first time against Blackburn in 1978, I thought he'd have a longer future with us.

DARZET EAGLE
17-01-2016, 11:21 AM
Nicky was a tidy player buzzing around midfield. I see from Wiki he made 151 appearances for us scoring 31 goals in six seasons with us before moving on to Millwall and finally Colchester.

davech
17-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Always 100% commitment, and not without skill.

I also remember him as an emergency goalkeeper once when Tony Burns was injured in the warm-up. And we still won, iirc.

Garfy
17-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Was harshly treated by some supporters. I always thought he was better than the credit he got and fitted in with much of the team of the 80's.

LONDONMAN
17-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Very decent player, probably hampered by having to be in the same squad as Peter Taylor up to 1976 and then have other great wingers/midfielders like Hilaire, Murphy and Nicholas come through and limit his appearances in the positions he was competing forva place.

Biggest memory was him tapping ball over the line at Stamford Bridge for that first goal in the famous 3-2 win in the 1976 Cup tie v Chelsea. Ironically, that was a rebound from a shot by Peter Taylor, which hit the crossbar. Nicky cane on as sub for Taylor in the Semi Final, also at Chelsea, but sadly Nicky was not going to be the influence on Palace that Taylor was, it's a bit like comparing Simon Rodger to Lombardo, a very decent Palace player to a great one.

On another note, I lived in West Norwood, very close to Central Hill, where there was a Solicitors also called Chatterton's, wonder if anyone knows if it's Len and Nick's relatives.

Also a Thorn and Young up the road too!

LONDONMAN
17-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Always 100% commitment, and not without skill.

I also remember him as an emergency goalkeeper once when Tony Burns was injured in the warm-up. And we still won, iirc.

Yes, 4-1 win over Lincoln, our last ever home game in Division Three, 1977, Peter Caswell took over from Burns for the match at Wrexham the following Wednesday andvwe got promoted the following Saturday, when we did'nt play. Weird and wonderful times, what supporting Palace is all about!

philaire
18-01-2016, 05:07 AM
Another of his more high profile efforts was his brace against Swindon in the 3-3 home draw in Feb 1976. Main match on The Big Match and he featured in the closing credits. As I recall, his father Len (among the ground staff in those days) was also featured applauding his son's goal(s).

Glaws Eagle
18-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Taylor hits the bar ... Chattertons there ....

Still got the VHS somewhere

WestBerksPalace
18-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Yes I remember Nicky well, and saw him play many times. TBH he was probably a 3rd division player, as he went on and had a good career at about that level.
Got a feeling he got one at the Den in one of 3-0 victories in 77/78 and 78/79, can't remember which one, both were stressful days out, as Palace fans tried to mingle into the crowd and keep quietish when we scored (little or no segregation then!), lol.

old geezer
18-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Really tidy player - liked him a lot
Remember his Dad as groundsman and then he helped out in the family stand for many years - lovely man
A real Palace family

Glaws Eagle
18-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Yes I remember Nicky well, and saw him play many times. TBH he was probably a 3rd division player, as he went on and had a good career at about that level.
Got a feeling he got one at the Den in one of 3-0 victories in 77/78 and 78/79, can't remember which one, both were stressful days out, as Palace fans tried to mingle into the crowd and keep quietish when we scored (little or no segregation then!), lol.

Spot on .... very stressful

I managed to find safety in the seats along the Main Stand, side opposite the North Terrace.

when Palace scored .. there was a very very hushed cheer.

Must have been 4000 mingled in with the home supporters.

LONDONMAN
18-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Spot on .... very stressful

I managed to find safety in the seats along the Main Stand, side opposite the North Terrace.

when Palace scored .. there was a very very hushed cheer.

Must have been 4000 mingled in with the home supporters.

Used to be a strange set up for away fans at the old Den. The main group would stand on the old 'Half-Way Line' on the mainly uncovered side opposite the small main stand and you took your chances not getting thumped by the cheery locals.

Anywhere else, it was best to not reveal your colours, as I once found out to my cost at the back of the Ilderton Road end!

After that incident, I nearly always went into the CBL (Cold Blow Lane end), their version of the Holmesdale.

It was actually comical to see that a good few hundred faces at each Millwall v Palace games were actually Palace fans, standing with their mates in the Millwall end and you just ahd to put your hands together or stare at the ground at the appropriate times so as not to arouse the suspicions of those not in the know!

Had a really funny incident once at a non-Millwall v Palace game when I met a work colleague who was a Milllwall fan and started talking to him about Palace, to the annoyance of a bloke within earshot. I got alive though!

Gazza2
18-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Think he may have scored 2 in three nil away win at Millwall. Also played in goal for what I think may have been a pre-season game at Selhurst after keeper got injured in warm up (Tony Burns?).

LONDONMAN
19-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Think he may have scored 2 in three nil away win at Millwall. Also played in goal for what I think may have been a pre-season game at Selhurst after keeper got injured in warm up (Tony Burns?).

See earlier post Gazza. Nicky played in a very important last ever home match in Division Three - a win was vital.

Does anyone remember Terry Gennoe playing in goal for Palace? It was a bit later and he went on to be one of Blackburn's longest serving keepers.

I'm almost sure he played in a pre-season match at Bromley in 76 or 77 before playing a couple of games on loan after Burridge left in 1980?

trufan
19-01-2016, 08:59 AM

Kent Cup game versus Charlton IIRC. And yes, Tony Burns. I think we won 1-0.

Nigelbrag
19-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Yes, 4-1 win over Lincoln, our last ever home game in Division Three, 1977, Peter Caswell took over from Burns for the match at Wrexham the following Wednesday andvwe got promoted the following Saturday, when we did'nt play. Weird and wonderful times, what supporting Palace is all about!

Incredible when we look back and not realising the importance of the Lincoln result and the huge input Nicky had in that, without that the Wrexham result would have been aimless.
And on a personal basis looking back, that wonderful journey on that very special night to Wrexham would have been pointless if it had not been for the heroics of NC in that previous game.

Polak
20-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Also a Thorn and Young up the road too!
They were travel agents. We booked our honeymoon through them.

Who Cares?
20-01-2016, 07:35 PM
The owner was a director at Palace with Noades.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
21-01-2016, 06:58 AM
Incredible when we look back and not realising the importance of the Lincoln result and the huge input Nicky had in that, without that the Wrexham result would have been aimless.
And on a personal basis looking back, that wonderful journey on that very special night to Wrexham would have been pointless if it had not been for the heroics of NC in that previous game.

Not sure if you mean Chattertons input in goal or in general. If in goal it was not that great only had one save to make and we were well in front by then if I recall correctly.

OldPeanutSeller
21-01-2016, 08:18 AM

Aye, as has been said many times the night out at Wrexham ranks in my top 3 Palace games to have been at. And had we not beaten Lincoln, it wouldn't have happened.

ammiller
22-01-2016, 10:31 AM
....and who was the Lincoln Manager?
Did he not like that?

Nigelbrag
22-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Not sure if you mean Chattertons input in goal or in general. If in goal it was not that great only had one save to make and we were well in front by then if I recall correctly.

In that particular game his goalkeeping "exploits" were not being judged as a fully fledged keeper, but someone who was a stand in, not forgetting what his real position was.
Yes thankfully he did not have to make any "Gordon Banks" saves, but as we all know it that situation it could have been very different if 2/3 goals had crept in.
Regardless to what you may think and I don't feel you are having a go, the Chatterton's were fantastic CPFC servants who served us well.

Nigelbrag
22-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Aye, as has been said many times the night out at Wrexham ranks in my top 3 Palace games to have been at. And had we not beaten Lincoln, it wouldn't have happened.

Yes, that was an incredible night out especially how we finished it when it seemed things were slipping away, and then the agonising wait the next day.
I would say that experience was just behind the 1976 FA cup run, going to the minnows then the "big boys" and winning, and so very nearly pulling off the impossible.

Hal Low
24-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Early season, late 70s at The Den, palace under pressure in their box and then in the space of 15 seconds as 4 or 5 passes Chatteron tapped one of the best goals I've ever seen. He couldn't miss it - but that's why it was so classy. The end product of a brilliant move. He was a much better player than he's being given credit for in this thread.

Ruskin Old Boy
24-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Early season, late 70s at The Den, palace under pressure in their box and then in the space of 15 seconds as 4 or 5 passes Chatteron tapped one of the best goals I've ever seen. He couldn't miss it - but that's why it was so classy. The end product of a brilliant move. He was a much better player than he's being given credit for in this thread.

The third of the three goals in this classy win:

iupW4wlH62w

Hal Low
24-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the clip RoB. It was not such an easy tap in as I thought it was. Chatterton made it look easy but I've seen quite a few of those missed.

cranesparkeagle
24-01-2016, 05:06 PM
That reminds me of that goal by Ambrose against Wednesday that kept us up. A cutback and a wrong-footing side-footer