PDA

View Full Version : Match fixing in Tennis including Wimbledon.

SeanPalace84
17-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Not a massive fan of tennis but enjoy the big games. Wonder how much of a big deal this will become.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35319202

CPFC Gangster
17-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Potentially huge but will be amazed if any of the "big names" are involved. Report shows they clearly know who's involved but won't say until they can prove it.

SpikeyMatt
17-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Fancy serving this up the day the Aussie Open starts...

MasterYoda
18-01-2016, 08:43 AM
The full buzzfeed article is pretty damning http://www.buzzfeed.com/heidiblake/the-tennis-racket#.aiPXD2KgBO

However it lets itself down by only naming those no longer still playing. Probably for legal reasons. They have a powerpoint slideshow that lists a number of matches but they've redacted the vast majority of the names.

PT109
18-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Fancy serving this up the day the Aussie Open starts...
Hmmm I reckon they will have some deucey stories lined up for this one. Will probably end up in court at some stage.

ExiledStirling
18-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Strawberry and cream tossers

Big Blue Eagle
18-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Djokovic said in an interview post match today that early in his career he was indirectly approached by bookmakers. Part of the issue is that unlike say golf, where even low ranked journeymen are multimillionaires, outside the top 100 or so players the pros are very poorly rewarded in tournaments, even more so when coaching and travel costs are paid. The top guys have been quite outspoken about getting the money more evenly spread down the scale. All of that makes lower ranked players more susceptible to being approached.

SpikeyMatt
18-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Proof that money can buy you love.

(I saw that on Twitter and it made me laugh).

meee
18-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Djokovic said in an interview post match today that early in his career he was indirectly approached by bookmakers. Part of the issue is that unlike say golf, where even low ranked journeymen are multimillionaires, outside the top 100 or so players the pros are very poorly rewarded in tournaments, even more so when coaching and travel costs are paid. The top guys have been quite outspoken about getting the money more evenly spread down the scale. All of that makes lower ranked players more susceptible to being approached.

The Djokovic thing isn't actually news as he has already mentioned it before.It's only news because of what came out today.The reasons you list for players doing it is spot on I think.When the money for fixing is more rewarding it will be too tempting for some players.