PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Williams RIP

ian king
22-01-2016, 12:33 AM
I have just heard this evening (Thur 21st) that former BBC tennis commentator and pundit Gerald Williams (remember his TV partnership at Wimbledon with Des Lynam) has passed away aged 86.

Gerry's connection with Palace is that for a number of years in the 1950s he was a sports reporter with the Croydon Advertiser and covered many many Palace matches. Certainly he reported on the first ever floodlit friendly at Selhurst Park against Chelsea in September 1953.

In my opinion he set the standard that John Matthews and David McClelland followed for reporting on Palace for the Advertiser. I was also fortunate to briefly meet him when Palace played at Swansea in 2009 - I assume he had retired to his native Wales.

I had also heard (and would therefore like confirmed) that he was also once a matchday announcer over the tannoy at Selhurst Park.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

LONDONMAN
22-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Another great link with the past disappears. Way before my time, but I read a few of his articles on Palace, he used to contribute to the Palace Supporters Club hanbook in the early 60's.

BBC also had a local Palace connection in the great boxing commentator, Harry Carpenter, from Upper Norwood.

They were very good reporters and had a depth of knowledge of their sports that will be difficult to match..

RIP.

Kylie_Tracey
22-01-2016, 09:06 AM
never knew Williams had any Palace link or football at all, RIP, for decades the hopeless Beeb would get their OB set up for the annual Wimbledon fortnight coverage, and it would be the same old tired and lazy format and it would perfectly highlight their useless hopless dedication to sport that we still get to this day, members of staff on "jolly ups" who have no interest in sport at all, I always thought Williams shone above that though, a true expert, I always wonder if the Beeb ever wondered how and why the subscription channels boomed in recent years? same with their hopeless news coverage, I always remembered the first Gulf War breaking out in the early hours of the morning and all the channels bar the Beeb shut down their coverage at the time to focus on the live coverage of it, the Beeb didn't bother until breakfast time.

Sleeping Giant
22-01-2016, 09:10 AM
It was quite fun watching Harry Carpenter and him doing the tennis. Both Palace fans. RIP.

Coveta
22-01-2016, 09:13 AM
I remember him writing on Palace as 'Jack of Clubs' ?????

ian king
22-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Thanks for that - I have some Palace match reports and news by " Jack Of Clubs" - now I know it was Gerry.

Big Blue Eagle
22-01-2016, 09:33 AM
never knew Williams had any Palace link or football at all, RIP, for decades the hopeless Beeb would get their OB set up for the annual Wimbledon fortnight coverage, and it would be the same old tired and lazy format and it would perfectly highlight their useless hopless dedication to sport that we still get to this day, members of staff on "jolly ups" who have no interest in sport at all, I always thought Williams shone above that though, a true expert, I always wonder if the Beeb ever wondered how and why the subscription channels boomed in recent years? same with their hopeless news coverage, I always remembered the first Gulf War breaking out in the early hours of the morning and all the channels bar the Beeb shut down their coverage at the time to focus on the live coverage of it, the Beeb didn't bother until breakfast time.

Classy, using a thread about a great commentator and journalist to have a meandering and rubbishy rant about the BBC.

Williams was a great tennis commentator with a pure love of the game and a very deep knowledge of it. Great voice for TV as well. Glad he was around to see Murray come through so well and the Davis Cup win.

Granada allover
22-01-2016, 09:47 AM
I worked for a while for Hayter's press agency in the early 1980s and they sent Gerald down to cover a particular match at Selhurst because they expected/hoped for an uprising against the then manager Mullery. It didn't happen (though there were rumblings all game) but I found Williams a thoroughly decent bloke with real affection for the club.

tony 1947
22-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Can confirm that is correct have many reports of the games he covered and articles when he talked to palace players of that time. Sad that he has gone, had the pleasure to meet him and hear him speak about his faith at a 'Christians at Palace' meeting at the club in the 1990s. He wrote an excellent book called 'A whole new ball game' in the 1980s. So talented and humble and knowledgeable about sport especially Tennis, and was a Palace fan from a boy.

DARZET EAGLE
22-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Used to play at Shirley Park Lawn Tennis Club when I was in my teens with Joyce Williams.

Russboy
22-01-2016, 05:24 PM
See second paragraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/12113961/Des-Lynam-pays-tribute-to-Gerry-Williams-the-BBCs-voice-of-tennis.html

If memory serves I seem to recall he would often wear a red and blue Palace tie on the commentary. RIP Gerry.

alf
25-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Can confirm that is correct have many reports of the games he covered and articles when he talked to palace players of that time. Sad that he has gone, had the pleasure to meet him and hear him speak about his faith at a 'Christians at Palace' meeting at the club in the 1990s. He wrote an excellent book called 'A whole new ball game' in the 1980s. So talented and humble and knowledgeable about sport especially Tennis, and was a Palace fan from a boy.

I read the book and met him through my Church back in the 80's. A nice bloke and very sorry to hear of his death.
RIP Gerry and God bless.