PDA

View Full Version : Were transfers more exciting in the old days?

DARZET EAGLE
28-01-2016, 08:49 AM
Today's transfer windows in my opinion are nowhere near as exciting as the old system, They cause media frenzy and levels of expectation through rumour, generally rarely realised and often disappointing the fans. Clubs at the top or bottom particularly are pressured to buy and then regret their decisions. Prices are hugely inflated. Oh for the days when someone was signed out of the blue without the slightest indication, at any time, and the close season featured the odd whisper, as teams dabbled in the market.

Owngoal
28-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Bert Head did a 'come and see who we have signed' to get more fans in if I recall once. You knew that they would be shit (Terry Wharton from Wolves??) but still went along to stand on the Holmesdale terrace

DARZET EAGLE
28-01-2016, 09:01 AM
Many transfers came as a complete surprise often through a copy of the pre match Evening Standard which featured all London teams and was crammed ful of player pictures. No social media to fuel rumour then.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
28-01-2016, 10:18 AM
I think when we signed Don Rogers it came out of the blue . Don't seem to remember much press speculation it just happened. Mind you we did sign a load of crap too

DARZET EAGLE
28-01-2016, 10:51 AM
I think when we signed Don Rogers it came out of the blue . Don't seem to remember much press speculation it just happened. Mind you we did sign a load of crap too

.....Out of the blue too.:D

tony 1947
28-01-2016, 11:01 AM
The signings of Bobby Kellard, John Craven, Bobby Bell and Sam Goodwin were done I seem to remember in a week of daily papers strike September 1971. Also of course we sold Steve Kember and Alan Birchenall.

liberal clubber
28-01-2016, 11:14 AM
tambling and birchenall from chelsea was exciting .
We thought we were getting Charlie Cooke

Owngoal
28-01-2016, 11:14 AM
The signings of Bobby Kellard, John Craven, Bobby Bell and Sam Goodwin were done I seem to remember in a week of daily papers strike September 1971. Also of course we sold Steve Kember and Alan Birchenall.

Steve came into my school the week he was sold to Chelsea, was clearly upset and loved the club.

DARZET EAGLE
28-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Lombardo seemed to sign without any rumour mongering and fanfare for weeks before his arrival. Brilliant. like winning the lottery (well nearly).

Grim Reaper
28-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Lombardo seemed to sign without any rumour mongering and fanfare for weeks before his arrival. Brilliant. like winning the lottery (well nearly).

I'll have to correct you there. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. It went on for weeks

In fact the deal looked dead at one point with the Croydon Advertiser's memorable headline 'It's All In Da Pasta Now' before CPFC got to grips and finally pushed the deal through after a couple more weeks.

Grim Reaper
28-01-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm still waiting for Dion Dublin to make his debut after one of the broadsheets annunced the '750,000 Swoop' as a done deal. Nothing speculative about it - it was written as fact soon after Ian Wright left.

LONDONMAN
28-01-2016, 03:44 PM
One of the best ones was Jeff Bourne from Derby in 1977, he did not really make a name for himself at Derby and was largely a reserve player for them for several years.

He had a tremendous effect at Palace though, scoring several important goals on our run-in to promotion from Division Three and was probably the key player as we came from several points back (it was only 2 pts for a win back then) to overhaul Wrexham for 3rd place.

I guess more recently we had Paul Stewart in 94 and Kevin Phillips in 2013, but they were much more established players than Bourne, who we knew very little about.

The Palace side he played in also had Dave Swindlehurst, Rachid Harkouk and Steve Perrin, who could all bang in great goals (Harkouk especially) and those last three months from March to May 1977 are amongst the most exciting times I've had following Palace.

DARZET EAGLE
28-01-2016, 11:03 PM
I'll have to correct you there. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. It went on for weeks

In fact the deal looked dead at one point with the Croydon Advertiser's memorable headline 'It's All In Da Pasta Now' before CPFC got to grips and finally pushed the deal through after a couple more weeks.

I stand corrected Sir, but it was only the Adder.:p

Jim Cannon
28-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Before we even had teletext, I remember how you would read in the paper about how a bunch of players had left and some new ones had joined.

DARZET EAGLE
28-01-2016, 11:11 PM
One of the best ones was Jeff Bourne from Derby in 1977, he did not really make a name for himself at Derby and was largely a reserve player for them for several years.

He had a tremendous effect at Palace though, scoring several important goals on our run-in to promotion from Division Three and was probably the key player as we came from several points back (it was only 2 pts for a win back then) to overhaul Wrexham for 3rd place.

I guess more recently we had Paul Stewart in 94 and Kevin Phillips in 2013, but they were much more established players than Bourne, who we knew very little about.

The Palace side he played in also had Dave Swindlehurst, Rachid Harkouk and Steve Perrin, who could all bang in great goals (Harkouk especially) and those last three months from March to May 1977 are amongst the most exciting times I've had following Palace.

Wiki says that sadly Jeff Bourne died from motor neurone disease in July 2014. He scored 9 goals in 15 games to help us make a late run to clinch promotion.

DARZET EAGLE
28-01-2016, 11:16 PM
Before we even had teletext, I remember how you would read in the paper about how a bunch of players had left and some new ones had joined.

Clubcall was a favourite of mine, but it did serious damage to the telephone bill. Sometimes you didn't get any prewarning. A new signing would turn out and be announced over the tannoy, with spectators questioning ''who is he''.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
29-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Used to pick up the Evening News on the way home from work to see who had signed for who. We were linked with Ted McDougall the Bournemouth goal machine who ended up at the Wankers.

davech
29-01-2016, 12:31 AM
Used to pick up the Evening News on the way home from work to see who had signed for who. We were linked with Ted McDougall the Bournemouth goal machine who ended up at the Wankers.

The considerable upside to that was we got Don Rogers instead, while MacDougall bombed at the Wankers (and West Ham after that).

big bad John
29-01-2016, 02:46 AM
Steve came into my school the week he was sold to Chelsea, was clearly upset and loved the club.

Remember coming out of school and my mate's dad was there looking like there had just been a death in the family. This was pre- helicopter parenting and he was the only adult outside the gates. "We've only gone and sold Kember to Chelsea" he said. It was stunned silence all the way home.
As lib club mentioned, the signings of Birchenal and Tambling was exciting as was the acquisition of Yogi and Willie Wallace from Celtic. Instead of signing players from Morton, Kilmarnock or Croydon Amateurs we were buying well known stars from teams that were winning European tropies.

CedarEagle
29-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Transfer window should be a week not a month. Many clubs leave it to the last minute anyway so lets cut the crap and do away with 3 weeks speculation.

DARZET EAGLE
29-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Transfer window should be a week not a month. Many clubs leave it to the last minute anyway so lets cut the crap and do away with 3 weeks speculation.

A month is already far too difficult particularly for the Agents, a week would be impossible. For fun I would try a day!:p

Chocky
29-01-2016, 05:44 PM
I prefer the system now and have the comfort of knowing we have a player we like for at least half a season! Turning on the local news and seeing that Ian Wright had gone to Arsenal early season was horrendous.

DARZET EAGLE
29-01-2016, 05:56 PM
If players contracts were binding, probably a transfer window wouldn't be necessary at all. I know, restriction of trade and also clubs getting long term contracts secured to boost transfer fee if a player decides to leave, will ensure this whymsical dream will never materialise.

DARZET EAGLE
02-02-2016, 07:45 PM
In answer to my question, judging by yesterday's experience they certainly were!

David of Kent
02-02-2016, 08:04 PM

And sometimes how a bunch of players had left and no new ones had joined