PDA

View Full Version : Palace - Fantastic Fans, Fantastic Club - a thank you

Carlise Few
31-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Just before Christmas my daughter Lucy was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Leukaemia. She is a Palace fan and I am a season ticket holder who has followed the club since 1971.

We want to thank all those who so generously donated to our bucket collection at the Stoke game. If you did not have the chance you can make a contribution at her just giving page. Go to the just giving website and she is then lucy-angierAML.

We are fund raising for Anthony Nolan. They match people with those who are in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant. Lucy is fortunate in that her brother is a match for her but others are not so lucky. We have met one girl whose father is Italian and mother Thai. It is proving much more difficult to get a genetic match for her.

If as many people as possible can volunteer to be tested it increases the chance of a match. The test is a spit test. Donating in most cases is just a matter of giving blood.

The Club's support for us has been tremendous. Steve Browlett pulled the right strings. Terry Byfield did an excellent piece at half-time.

It is quite expensive to do the testing required and register people appropriately. Anthony Nolan support people from 16-30 to be tested. If you are over 30 go to 'Delete Blood Cancer UK'. Both have website you can google.

We are still in the process of counting the money but it looks like we will have sufficient to potentially save over 15 lives.

All in all a fantastic afternoon and even the team did its bit by winning!

ukjay_29
31-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Great news. I wish you and Lucy all the very best.

stamford triumph
31-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Also wishing you and Lucy all the best. The Anthony Nolan trust does a fantastic job - my father was involved in research into bone marrow transplantation in the 70s and was lucky enough to get to know the family.

Eaglefoz
31-01-2016, 11:03 AM
I spent 10 years on the Anthony Nolan register, matched 3 times but never got the opportunity to donate bone marrow, then was diagnosed with diabetes myself and had to come off the register. My wife stayed on the register, donated and the kid thst received the bone marrow survived for a cojple more years.
More importantly, it gave the family precious time with their kid, at home, not constantly on a hospital bed, that they would not have had otherwise.
If you cant give money for this wonderful cause, get on their register or do both.
According to my wife, the operation is uncomfortable at worst, nothing more, and you really do feel as though you have done something to help another. She did not get to meet the family but was kept informed by Anthony Nolan as to how the kid was progressing.
it is one of the charities I have always supported ever since Shirley ? Nolan started the campaign.
I wish you and your family the very best for your daughters fight against this terrible cancer.

davemorris04
31-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Good news Carlisle Few and well done with the fundraising. Will donate now. I joined the register last year - just got on with enough time to be eligible. Great cause and so easy - would encourage anyone suitable to sign up.

https://www.justgiving.com/lucy-angierAML/

Donation link above

Carlise Few
31-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Thanks for posting the link Dave - much appreciated

Carlise Few
31-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Thanks for posting the link Dave - much appreciated- also for your kind donation

tasty_snacks
31-01-2016, 03:06 PM
It is quite expensive to do the testing required and register people appropriately. Anthony Nolan support people from 16-30 to be tested. If you are over 30 go to 'Delete Blood Cancer UK'. Both have website you can google.

I had no idea I could do this. Tried to register with AN two years ago but alas I was 31 at the time. Have just registered with Delete Blood Cancer, thanks for the info, and great news re the fundraising. :p

Dorking .Eagle
31-01-2016, 03:25 PM
My mate, who was a programme seller in the mid-90s had chronic myeloid leukaemia (sp?) and Anthony Nolan found him a bone marrow match. All he ever knew was that he was a rugby player aged 30. He did write him a thank you letter which was forwarded, but that was all he knew as the donor was kept anonymous. And he's fit and well to this day :) even if he rarely watches Palace now

Carlise Few
01-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Brilliant posts guys - thank you - I will pass on to Lucy

sw16girl
01-02-2016, 01:10 PM
My brother was on the register for years and was a match twice and donated once - a lady in Finland (I think) who made a complete recovery. Great work done by the trust and good luck with your daughter's treatment.

Carlise Few
12-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Our friend has now found a match.

Great news!

little al
12-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Our friend has now found a match.

Great news!

Brilliant, good luck:p