PDA

View Full Version : Times you've sat/stood in the non-Palace end at a match

Grim Reaper
01-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Anyone done this before? It's been a while for me but it did happen in consecutive weeks for me (and others) back in 1994-95 when all-seater stadiums were being (re)built.

Also Ipswich away in 1992 when we drew 2-2 - made more interesting when a few Palace in front of me cheered a Nigel Martyn penalty save and the reaction and beating they took meant I kept my mouth shut for the whole game - politely clapping when Ipswich scored.

What's your preferred ettiquette? Let everyone know you're a Palace fan or keep your mouth shut and smile at the right times?

fang
01-02-2016, 07:18 AM
The first Amex match. An interesting anthropological experience.

crowboro eagle
01-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Sat in the shed end at Chelsea years ago. Palace scored to go 1 up and had to sit on my hands nearly jumped up then looked around me. Unfortunately it didn't last and we got hammered.

Also Went with a mate who a Birmigham fan to the Amex a few years ago. Birmingham won 1-0 to which was good.

Golf Boy
01-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Stretford end when we beat them 2-1 on '89.

Dorking .Eagle
01-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Done it a few times, Millwall away in a pre-season friendly which Palace won 4-0! It was like being David Attenborough covertly observing rowdy chimpanzees.

Man City away when there was no Kippax because Maine Road was being redeveloped. Bought a Man City membership and everything, sat in a boring part of the ground, kept extremely discreet, then Ginger, the Palace copper spotted us! He was alright to be fair, but made sure we knew he was keeping an eye out!

Had one or two 'complimentary' tickets when I was much younger - if you stood and waited for the away team coach to arrive, occasionally a handful of 'comps' would be given out usually by the assistant manager, often Alan Smith. Sometimes these would be in a seat in the home stand, so you'd just keep your mouth shut and hide your Palace scarf and hat and think of the money saved (probably a tenner!). Was good at a few grounds like Sunderlands old ground where the only tickets for away fans were uncovered terrace, but the comps were covered seats - especially if it rained!

ExiledStirling
01-02-2016, 07:33 AM
At Walsall I was stood right at the back. When they scored I did not cheer but adopted a 'I am ****ed off' face and started my text to Suffolk Eagle to give him the good news. I glanced up to spot these wild piercing eyes on me, while all around him were jumping around wildly, making it clear he had spotted that I was not one of them. There is always at least one, who instead of enjoying the moment are simply on the hunt for anyone who is where they should not be.

davemorris04
01-02-2016, 07:39 AM
Saw us beat Wimbledon 3-1 at Selhurst in their final season at Selhurst. When they scored the bloke next to me went mental and was clearly a fan of theirs. Why he'd want to sit in the Palace end (we were the home team) I have no idea.

Worksop Palace
01-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Stretford end when we beat them 2-1 on '89.

Yep and me. Still got the ticket. £6.50 ! Had my sash shirt on but kept my jacket zipped up to the neck. Was great standing on the seats chanting Fergie out.

Villa when they were doing some work on the ground and only gave us a few hundred allocation so went in with Villa. Southgate dribbled one over the line in the last minute to equalize. It was more of a stiffled yelp than a celebration. Villa fans were fine. Chelsea a few times with my brother who supports the wankers. Got told to sit the **** down there. Forest, Leicester, Wednesday, Rotherham to name but a few. Always tried to keep it respectful.

Golf Boy
01-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Yep and me. Still got the ticket. £6.50 ! Had my sash shirt on but kept my jacket zipped up to the neck. Was great standing on the seats chanting Fergie out.

Villa when they were doing some work on the ground and only gave us a few hundred allocation so went in with Villa. Southgate dribbled one over the line in the last minute to equalize. It was more of a stiffled yelp than a celebration. Villa fans were fine. Chelsea a few times with my brother who supports the wankers. Got told to sit the **** down there. Forest, Leicester, Wednesday, Rotherham to name but a few. Always tried to keep it respectful.

Wasn't it 2 quid to get in ( maybe i was getting the student reduction )

ExiledStirling
01-02-2016, 07:44 AM
Man City away when there was no Kippax
You have reminded me of when I lived in Manchester, and nearly all my mates were City, I went with them to the final game of the season against Palace. They were looking forward to the FA cup final , we were looking forward to Div 2.

Stood in the Kippax, and probably because I was surrounded by mates, forgot where I was when we scored, and just leapt into the air to celebrate and go nuts. Being the only one around me having this reaction to our goal, resulted in my coming back to earth by losing my footing and falling to the ground.

Instead of getting a good kicking all I heard from those around me was a chorus of 'There's only one cockney bastard' :)

EagleSE24
01-02-2016, 07:51 AM
West Ham away during our promotion season in 2004. We lost 3-0.

GrthTylrGiraffe
01-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Aston Villa sometime in the 90s (?) when they must have been rebuilding their main stand and there were no away tickets. Palace equalised in the last minute so only had to repress my feelings of joy until we got out.

Palaceboy222
01-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Stockport away. Yes, that one.

We knew there were a few of us about but when Freedman scored, 15 or so of us went nuts!

Jim Cannon
01-02-2016, 08:03 AM
Arsenal - North Bank for a 0-4 defeat in 90-91 season.

Old Joe Paxton
01-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Was in away end at home for Sunderland defeat in Nov which was lovely....

pgw152
01-02-2016, 08:16 AM
1994 4-1 v Wolves in the cup, Armstrong shot that scored and stuck in the goal.
Don't know how the box office messed up, but called Palace and ordered 2 tickets to be collected at Molineux.
Got to Molineux and collected the tickets only to find ourselves in the "family stand" of a home stand.
My mate jumped up when we scored first and started a yell and a fist pump, but halfway thru he realised and stopped.
When they equalised we got jostled and digs in back from big bastards behind us.
When we started running away with the match,one of them got up and said he was going home to get his chainsaw.
We had been thoroughly outed, so thought it best to leave on 80 mins.

LONDONMAN
01-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Best one was in with the Mansfield fans in 1977 at Wrexham (yes, Palace not actually playing that day!) but it was vital that Mansfield got at least a draw to get Palace promoted.) I went up with a coach load of regular Palace fans - I think there are some pics of this in Memory Lane somewhere.

Pandemonium when Mansfield scored the only goal near the end of the match and also loads of Wrexham fans tried to have a go at them at the end of the match, without anything major going off.

Still got my Mansfied scarf which I swopped for a Palace one before the match.

Also stood in the Shed for a Palace win over Chelsea (had to suffer listening to the scum racially taunting Vince Hilaire) and sampled life in the Spurs Paxton Lane, West Ham, Millwall (all four sides if the Old Den and the New Den too at various Palace matches) saw Bobby Bowry"s Palace debut in a 1-1 Legue Cup draw at Anfield from the old Kop and back in yhe day when seggregation was not really done at grounds, used to stand right in the middle of the away support at most Palace home games in 73/74 and 74/75 as the Whitehorse Lane End had a mix of home and away fans.

Boy did the Cardiff fans stink!

Dunkie
01-02-2016, 08:32 AM
One that springs to mind is Wimbledon at Plough Lane, their last game there. Started off standing behind the goal, but the anti Palace songs were a bit tiresome. Moved along and ended up standing near the halfway line where there was more palace than home supporters. All goals were celebrated without restraint and our position was more or less in line with where Ian Wright let fly for his stunner. No problems with the home fans, who i guess were used to the home areas being over run. In fact the few that were in our part of the ground looked a bit nervous when their end were singing the anti palace stuff!

DARZET EAGLE
01-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Opposite to the away end at Southampton in the Cup this season. When Wilf scored I let my identity slip but happily had families either side of me. Great experience and the Saints fans were very magnaminous in defeat.:lux:

tsunamiman
01-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Newcastle (missus is a Geordie) when Cisse scored the injury time winner. Was being covert up until that moment.

Wright+Bright
01-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Infamous Charlton away when we got relegated. Worst football experience ever ��

whitey
01-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Nottingham Forest went with my step sister who owns a forest season ticket. We beat them 0-1. To say I didn't celebrate would be a understatement ��

catty
01-02-2016, 09:33 AM
The first time I came to Selhurst I was in the away stand with man city fans. No apparent reason. They were fighting between themselves which was nice.

I'll be with Bournemouth tomorrow night :)

tomario
01-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Bristol City away in the play offs, could only get a ticket in the home end as was living in Bristol at the the time, not an enjoyable time

ChiswickEagle
01-02-2016, 10:13 AM
I have done this a few times when necessary. Scariest was at Swindon in the play offs in 89, I asked to be moved at half time as I was getting some looks...

averity
01-02-2016, 10:17 AM
filbert street, at half time went to shake the subs hands, aki rihlati, jon macken and someone else, as they were training on the pitch, they all looked at me as if to say no as id just come out of the carling stand, then i took my jumper off and lifted my scarf and they came over and shook my hand, although i did have to walk half the length of the pitch to get back in my seat and everyone knew i was in disguise after that :)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
01-02-2016, 12:06 PM
West Ham away during our promotion season in 2004. We lost 3-0.

Was also in with the Hammers fans that day. I believe Jermaine Defoe gave us quite a pumping.

Was also in with the Arsenal fans for that 1-2 win when the North Bank was being rebuilt

Worksop Palace
01-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Wasn't it 2 quid to get in ( maybe i was getting the student reduction )

Jammy sod ! Mine was defo £6.50 - saw the ticket a few months ago when I was going through a load of stuff.

Worksop Palace
01-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Arsenal - North Bank for a 0-4 defeat in 90-91 season.

New years day ?

ExiledStirling
01-02-2016, 12:39 PM
I have twice been in among Liverpool fans as the home fan.

In the seventies as the Holmesdale was full had to go in the Whitehorse.

Also as an honoury Bristol City fan (used to go and watch them when I was contracting in Bristol in the early '90s) when they met in the FA cup. (A draw, with Bristol City winning the replay at Anfield. The name Brian Tinnion maybe a memory jogger for some)

An unpleasant experience on both occassions.

cantspell
01-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Highbury v Arsenal lost 4-1
Chelsea in the 80s can't even remember score
Tottenham last 2 season
Reading won 3 nil
QPR last season

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
01-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Instead of getting a good kicking all I heard from those around me was a chorus of 'There's only one cockney bastard' :)

i didn't know the Bow Bells were so loud you hear them in Croydon

ExiledStirling
01-02-2016, 01:06 PM
We are talking about Mancs here... anyone from down South was a cockney to them back then... possibly still the case.

And anyway how dare you claim I am from that hell hole, I am from Hayes, Bromley I will have you know.

knowlesyUCLA
01-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Stockport away. Yes, that one.

We knew there were a few of us about but when Freedman scored, 15 or so of us went nuts!

I started in the home end for the Stockport away match but my dad and I had a word with a steward and they let us into the away end. Apparently over a hundred of our lot didnít turn up?! Find that quite remarkable.

Lombardo's hair
01-02-2016, 01:11 PM
Sat in diamond box at spurs at least twice as brother in laws company had corporate seats there. Brother in law palace as well. Got told to sit down and shut up by rick parfitt when we scored. I believe we won 1 0 can't remember scorer might have been barber. Also saw us draw 1 1 when Southgate missed pen in the final minutes. We missed a lot of pens that season iirc. And we went down probably because of those misses

Grim Reaper
01-02-2016, 04:12 PM
Sat in diamond box at spurs at least twice as brother in laws company had corporate seats there. Brother in law palace as well. Got told to sit down and shut up by rick parfitt when we scored. I believe we won 1 0 can't remember scorer might have been barber. Also saw us draw 1 1 when Southgate missed pen in the final minutes. We missed a lot of pens that season iirc. And we went down probably because of those misses

We missed three that season. Any one of them scored and we'd have stayed up.

The Southgate miss was 2-2 at Ipswich and I was behind that goal feeling sick but trying to smile when Clive Baker saved it. Was right at the end of the game and I made a dart for the exit as I had a train to catch and knew all along it would be a close run thing to make it and that if Palace fans were held back I'd miss the train. Very entertaining game (Nige saved one as well) but thoroughly unenjoyable as I didn't dare cheer.

PalaceSi
01-02-2016, 04:41 PM
In with the Millwall fans was the only safe place to watch a game at the Den in 70's, the scarcely segregated visiting supporters terrace was certainly a place to avoid. I remember one game where we went 3-0 up before half time and the locals were in an angry mood. Its not easy trying to look seriously upset when you're 3-0 up before half time and plenty of Palace fans incognito on the home terrace that day were having the same trouble. We kept saying "don't smile don't smile".

CommercialStone
01-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I took my Forest supporting sister to Selhurst once. We both sat in the Forest end.

It was a good game, finished 2 all I think. Palace got a penalty or free kick right at the end and the keeper got sent off (I cannot really remember too well). The free kick or penalty was saved any way (I think it was a pen). I couldn’t keep my allegiances quiet at that point. The guys around me knew I was Palace but as my sister had her Forest shirt on they were fine. If the kick had gone in, it might have been a bit different I guess. I think a keeper called Roache came on and saved the penalty.

Lombardo's hair
01-02-2016, 04:53 PM

The Southgate miss was 2-2 at Ipswich and I was behind that goal feeling sick but trying to smile when Clive Baker saved it. Was right at the end of the game and I made a dart for the exit as I had a train to catch and knew all along it would be a close run thing to make it and that if Palace fans were held back I'd miss the train. Very entertaining game (Nige saved one as well) but thoroughly unenjoyable as I didn't dare cheer.

Strange because I haven't been away at Ipswich and definitely not the away end....and southgate hit post. Then again my memory is far worse than I seem to think it is

Lombardo's hair
01-02-2016, 04:53 PM

Strange because I haven't been away at Ipswich and definitely not the away end....and southgate hit post. Then again my memory is far worse than I seem to think it is

Jim Cannon
01-02-2016, 04:56 PM
New years day ?

No, following season. Was also at the New Years Day one in the right end though

Ruskin Old Boy
01-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Quite a few of us pre-date segregated grounds so have had plenty of experience in the delights of being surrounded by home fans.

A three way tie at the top for the nastiest - Good Friday 1965 at Maine Road, only 16 at the time, got knocked about after celebrating the first Palace goal, remains one of the scariest away matches ever; too many times to mention at the Old Den, never celebrated there, ever; and first visit to Stamford Bridge in August 1969 when we stood to one side of the Shed.

Sunderland away for the cup match in 1976 we were there but were too pissed to care about trouble, even after Whittle scored (it was much worse after the match of course). And not forgetting Brighton but Palace were more numerous at the Goldstone.

The good thing about most people standing then was that it was easier to move away from trouble than it is today. Last time I was in a home end was at Portman Road just after Dowie had taken over, was in the Directors' Box as a guest of one of their people. Awful not being to able to celebrate when we came back from 1 down at half time to win 3-1.

GrthTylrGiraffe
01-02-2016, 05:50 PM
I remember going to Charlton on a Sunday during the mid 90s and it was a free for all in the away end. We spied four seats together the other side of some plastic tape. It was only after a while we realised that we were in the home end but we stuck it out until half time when Sarge came and fetched us from the refreshment area

Ninjas Headband
01-02-2016, 07:07 PM
In around 1986 I was thrown out of the away end at Portman Road at half time after moaning and giving a v sign towards a cop who was purposely getting in my way. Had a wander around outside of the ground and found one of the turnstiles open so climbed over to discover that I was in the Ipswich family stand. Kept quiet as didn't fancy being chucked out for a second time.

Also been in the home end at Luton a couple of times. Once due to LTFC's ban on away fans in the late Eighties.

cranesparkeagle
01-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Ipswich away. Early 00s admin period when Burley was manager there. We got hammered(Ipswich were good then). I stayed quiet but nice people as they were I couldn't be as enthusiastic as the people around me when they got their 3 goals. Got rumbled towards the end. Dont draw attention on yourself.

Bipe
01-02-2016, 07:55 PM
I normally go in the home end when we play Leicester away, courtesy of a Leicester supporting mate who can use his brother's season ticket for me.

I also ended up in with the Leicester fans at Selhurst a couple of times, once the infamous 'let's boo Ben Watson when he steps up to take a penalty' game and once the evening KO in the admin season when Claude Davis got himself sent off

Sam Spade
01-02-2016, 08:07 PM
I have done this at; Brighton (Gallstone) Forest, West Ham, Spurs, Sunderland, Norwich, Everton, Coventry (Highfield Road), West Brom, Liverpool, Aldershot, Reading, Gillingham, Villa, QPR, probably a few more. Never a real problem.

Baffled Bob 2
01-02-2016, 08:09 PM
Pompey away 1988. All went well until we scored. Someone had a word with me.

Sam Spade
01-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Forgot Pompey. Also Torquay and Exeter.

Grim Reaper
02-02-2016, 07:25 AM
I have done this at; Brighton (Gallstone) Forest, West Ham, Spurs, Sunderland, Norwich, Everton, Coventry (Highfield Road), West Brom, Liverpool, Aldershot, Reading, Gillingham, Villa, QPR, probably a few more. Never a real problem.

Are you a professional spy??

spike
02-02-2016, 08:14 AM
When I was about 12 my Chelsea supporting uncle took me to a game at Stamford Bridge. He had to make excuses for me when I cheered when Liverpool scored (I had recently moved back from Ireland and was yet to convert from glory-hunting)

Jim Cannon
02-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Ipswich away. Early 00s admin period when Burley was manager there. We got hammered(Ipswich were good then). I stayed quiet but nice people as they were I couldn't be as enthusiastic as the people around me when they got their 3 goals. Got rumbled towards the end. Dont draw attention on yourself.

When we were getting battered 4-0 at Highbury I was with another Palace fan and by sheer luck we found ourselves next to 2 other Palace fans. The 4 of us were the only ones not cheering. We were rumbled.

Sam Spade
02-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Are you a professional spy??

Never say never again.

David of Kent
02-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Quite a few times. Once at Portsmouth in a Full Members Cup match away. We were tonked (4-0?) and I had been on my best behaviour but then, right in front of us, I thought we should have had a penalty. Game was over and meaningless but I forgot myself and shouted for the pen. Thankfully with the game done and dusted they just laughed at me

Chocky
03-02-2016, 03:27 PM
I was in the main stand at Birmingham when we won 6-0. It was supposed to be an area for Palace players wives and friends etc but there were only a few of us. Celebrated every goal but walking out down the street was very difficult trying to look incredibly angry whilst completely pissing myself laughing inside. Same outside experience I had when I had to walk to the car through a load of angry Millwall fans after we had just shafted them 4-1 over there.

Crofty
03-02-2016, 03:34 PM
One that springs to mind is Wimbledon at Plough Lane, their last game there. Started off standing behind the goal, but the anti Palace songs were a bit tiresome. Moved along and ended up standing near the halfway line where there was more palace than home supporters. All goals were celebrated without restraint and our position was more or less in line with where Ian Wright let fly for his stunner. No problems with the home fans, who i guess were used to the home areas being over run. In fact the few that were in our part of the ground looked a bit nervous when their end were singing the anti palace stuff!

I was at that game. I remember it got quite lively in the pub after the match.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
03-02-2016, 04:00 PM
I was in the Chelsea end back in 88 when we gave them half of the Holmsedale. I was so late I missed the first half and just charged in, not knowing the situation. It was interesting seeing your club being reviewed by other fans ( they sh*t themselves when Wright got on the ball ) but some of them were total, racist thugs, even for the eighties. Made me doubly glad my old man made me Palace.

Olympian2
03-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Anyone done this before? It's been a while for me but it did happen in consecutive weeks for me (and others) back in 1994-95 when all-seater stadiums were being (re)built.

Also Ipswich away in 1992 when we drew 2-2 - made more interesting when a few Palace in front of me cheered a Nigel Martyn penalty save and the reaction and beating they took meant I kept my mouth shut for the whole game - politely clapping when Ipswich scored.

What's your preferred ettiquette? Let everyone know you're a Palace fan or keep your mouth shut and smile at the right times?

I confess to having been one of those in front of you although we only got stares when celebrating Nig's save. A copper told us that the away end was sold out but that we should be OK in the North stand. We sat with three other Palace fans in what turns out to be a hotbed of inbred Suffolk passion and hatred. We were sussed as Palace immediately. I was not deterred and jumped up to celebrate when Nig saves the pen. At half time, with the score at 0-0, my mate convinces me to ask a copper if we can move to a safer area, where there is a greater congregation of Palace fans. Shortly after the re-start, Palace score. We celebrated safely, although our attention is drawn to the place we were previously sat, where the other three Palace fans are getting a good kicking.

Did it when I was young, foolish and disrespectful - wouldn't do it now.

orp pisshead1
03-02-2016, 06:12 PM
We are talking about Mancs here... anyone from down South was a cockney to them back then... possibly still the case.

And anyway how dare you claim I am from that hell hole, I am from Hayes, Bromley I will have you know.

Kent not London too ;):p.

orp pisshead1
03-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Spurs away early maybe mid 90's decent mob in the shelf, Luton when away fans were banned we made lot of effort to get in only to be greeted by ginger lol he was ok tho and told us where rest of the palace were. Villa during ground rebuild, city too , baggys with family, West Ham in FA cup, Chelsea early 80's either the draw or win, arsenal , Ipswich , think that's it and two non Palace games but very much Palace related with big Palace numbers present England B or u-21's at Br*ghton n millwall!.
Qpr several times with a qpr mate.

montrealeagle
03-02-2016, 06:32 PM
West Ham in the 78/79 season. All went well until Mike Elwiss scored our equalizer. Those were the days !!

Golf Boy
03-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Anywhere east of Swindon is a cockney where i was brought up.

racehorse-80s
03-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Used to stand on the half-way line at the Old Den to avoid being held in after the game .

orp pisshead1
03-02-2016, 06:47 PM
In around 1986 I was thrown out of the away end at Portman Road at half time after moaning and giving a v sign towards a cop who was purposely getting in my way. Had a wander around outside of the ground and found one of the turnstiles open so climbed over to discover that I was in the Ipswich family stand. Kept quiet as didn't fancy being chucked out for a second time.

Also been in the home end at Luton a couple of times. Once due to LTFC's ban on away fans in the late Eighties.

J was Portman road one the Boxing Day one? Best song of the day from the packed away end was " have we ****ed your Christmas up" :D:lux:

DocSavage
04-02-2016, 05:02 PM
West Ham in the 78/79 season. All went well until Mike Elwiss scored our equalizer. Those were the days !!

we too and some of the local kids sussed us out about 10 mins in and bobbies took us to the side leaving us in middle of cockneys and quite obvious but they left us alone

DocSavage
04-02-2016, 05:03 PM
and almost every palace match at millwall only to stand with mates

djncpfc
05-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Both times at Chelsea and both in the Shed:
1. 1970 I was kid and packed off down the front with the others, talking all things kids do and not really paying attention to the game Palace scored and I cheered, I soon realised my mistake so I had to make up some kid excuse why I cheered. I was soon back standing with my old man those kids were as violent as the rest of The Shed.
2. 1976 in the cup a little bit older. Family of 6 of us decided to go in The Shed again. My cousin who was with us was in the force at the time and tried to get us moved by flashing his warrant card. I think by telling his colleagues we are all Palace didn’t help – they left us there! But we watched it all go off at the other end.
It was either cheaper in the Shed in those days (we didn’t have much money), it was nearer the bus stop or the fact my old fella was quite “handy”.

Andycol
05-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Been in the East stand at Chelsea a few times, North Bank at Highbury a few places at Tottenham and Holte End at Villa. Villa the most life threatening I reckon, they seemed permanently on the look out.

stevek
05-02-2016, 02:27 PM
In the days of terraces, the seated areas were always a bit safer territory. I remember seeing us away at Villa (with a Villa supporting mate) in 1989-90 - Pardew put us one up, but Platt scored two and we lost. Still, I think Pardew scored there again later in the season.

Am Phibian
05-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Maine Road in 88/89 when we beat them 3-1. Some of them were literally banging their heads against the fences in anger around me and the overall atmosphere was beyond hostile. It was the Family Stand too :)

Grim Reaper
05-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Still, I think Pardew scored there again later in the season.

Please remind me - I don't quite remember that one ;):D

Breaking rocks
05-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Stood in the Shed in 76.

For all of those on other threads who have said they have found it impossible to contain themselves when in away ends, I can assure you that you wouldn't have that problem that day.

Glaws Eagle
06-02-2016, 01:52 PM
A few times I can remember off the top of my head ... ..

Millwall both 1977 - 78 & 1978-7bo
Man C away 1979-80
Leicester 2000-01
Reading away 2005-06. Leroy Lita gave my mate some free tickets ... in the Reading corporate area. ... I never even made HT.

Grim Reaper
06-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Two themes have developed in this thread. Everyone bar me stood in the Millwall home end at some point and 'everyone' went in the Man City home end as well!!

Didn't see that second one coming!!

IanH
06-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Off the top of my head, Leeds, Arsenal (the day they relegated us), Sheffield United, Coventry (we got into the play-offs that day). I seem to recall that we won 3-1 at Leeds (mid-to-late 80's) with three black players scoring our goals which didn't go down at all well with the locals! We were in their old terrace behind the goal. We laughed a lot but didn't blatantly cheer any of our goals. We didn't score at Arsenal (lost 3-0?) and the Sheffield United game was 0-0 but it wouldn't have mattered if we had scored as it was so foggy that day that we wouldn't have seen it anyway! Got thrown out at Coventry though after Freedman scored (despite wearing a Coventry City baseball cap!).

Glaws Eagle
06-02-2016, 02:29 PM
A few times I can remember off the top of my head ... ..

Millwall both 1977 - 78 & 1978-7
Man C away 1979-80
Leicester 2000-01
Reading away 2005-06. Leroy Lita gave my mate some free tickets ... in the Reading corporate area. ... I never even made HT.

Forgot being in the North Bank when we lost 3-2 to Arse in 1981 and when they beat us 5-1 on 14th Feb 2006.

The game in 2006 requires a thread on its on .... a right dodgy strippers/lapdancing pub in Kings Cross was the precursor to a proper day. Was it The Flying Scotsman??

And Cov away march 1991 ... stewards were right cnust

Grim Reaper
06-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Got thrown out at Coventry though after Freedman scored (despite wearing a Coventry City baseball cap!).

That was comical You had to ring up to get a ticket and to stop Palace fans getting in the home end they asked you a Coventry question.

Mine was 'Who is the Coventry chairman?' which rumbled me straight away

"I don't know I'm a Gillingham fan"
"Oh, in that case you can have a ticket!"

Not exactly the strictest enforcement of their own rules there!!

Glaws Eagle
06-02-2016, 03:31 PM
That was comical You had to ring up to get a ticket and to stop Palace fans getting in the home end they asked you a Coventry question.

Mine was 'Who is the Coventry chairman?' which rumbled me straight away

"I don't know I'm a Gillingham fan"
"Oh, in that case you can have a ticket!"

Not exactly the strictest enforcement of their own rules there!!

That used to be the tactics of Old Bill who oversaw the Whitehorse ... they would stop you on the way up to the WHL turnstiles and ask you a question about the visiting team .... invariably ... name the goalkeeper

laggin
08-02-2016, 01:25 AM
soton away in may95 I had just moved there that week so my dad took me to the game. had to win really to stay up, first few seconds and le tissier crosses the ball in from 40 yards out, rhys wilmot drops it in his own net. lost 3-1.

reading away in pre season 2012 in the executive suite. completely hammered. lost 2-0 I think.

Exeter away a few weeks later in carling cup. refused entry to away end. they were only to happy to take my student concession money behind the other goal, I doubt a walk around the ground had sobered me up too much. won 2-1 I think.

orp pisshead1
08-02-2016, 02:37 AM
Two themes have developed in this thread. Everyone bar me stood in the Millwall home end at some point and 'everyone' went in the Man City home end as well!!

Didn't see that second one coming!!

Never been in millwall end either :lux: apart from England B even then Palace were singing on the cold blow lane end :D:D.

orp pisshead1
08-02-2016, 02:40 AM
soton away in may95 I had just moved there that week so my dad took me to the game. had to win really to stay up, first few seconds and le tissier crosses the ball in from 40 yards out, rhys wilmot drops it in his own net. lost 3-1.

reading away in pre season 2012 in the executive suite. completely hammered. lost 2-0 I think.

Exeter away a few weeks later in carling cup. refused entry to away end. they were only to happy to take my student concession money behind the other goal, I doubt a walk around the ground had sobered me up too much. won 2-1 I think.

Knew they hadn't let you coz you was pissed, surprised you ever get in at qpr:).

Bankerhater1
27-02-2016, 11:06 AM
A few people used to do the Luton trick .. ahem ... Seem to remember, "We're not here, we're not here, we're not here, etc ..."