PDA

View Full Version : Press Conference Live: Pre-Watford (h) Thursday 1pm

EddieEdwards
11-02-2016, 11:25 AM
http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/live-press-conference-2949067.aspx

Scifo
11-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Let's play latest injury lotto. My money is on Wickham.

*Dwight Gayle is no longer eligible due to irregularities (suspected insider trading)

ForzaPalace
11-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Dann's broken his foot

Sceagle
11-02-2016, 12:04 PM
"Did you watch the Superbowl?"

Worksop Palace
11-02-2016, 12:51 PM
. Lads have been in great spirits

. Training is good, more relaxed

. All the first team squad have injuries

. Brilliant point down at Swansea - made us work hard.

. Need to follow it up with 3pts at SP Saturday

. Fans been amazing

. Still on course for a good finish in the table

. Watford have done brilliantly well and will be tough opponents

McpfcS
11-02-2016, 12:54 PM
No stream this week

Scifo
11-02-2016, 12:57 PM
No stream this week

Did you hear word of that or just because there is no stream available yet?

Scifo
11-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Best we can do for now then

https://twitter.com/CPFC

EddieEdwards
11-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Bottom up...

The full video will be on http://eagles.cpfc.co.uk very shortly.

That's it for the broadcast section of Alan Pardew's pre-Watford press conference. Thanks for following! #COYP

AP: It's always nice to have a centre half who scores goals [SD]. Our defence has been stretched at times, we can tighten it up again now.

AP: The instinctive part of the game may not kick in for a little while [for Ade], but his levels were very good versus Swansea.

AP: It's very rare that you'd go through a PL season w/o a difficult period. This was ours. Hopefully that point puts us on the right track.

AP: We've lost key players in one area really. Our offensive area was wiped out. We've strengthened w/big Ade and now players are returning.

AP: H [Boateng] could be a big player for us next season. We'll be focussing in the summer on the academy.

AP: The bigger sides are concentrating on younger players, if you can have 3/4 come out the academy they don't have to be on the squad list.

AP: Watford have avoided any falls. They had a tricky run and came out of it. They're having a good season, no doubt about that.

AP: No side is too good [to avoid relegation]. Things can go against you, things can fall in a way that puts you in a battle.

AP: That's slightly critical [to suggest Watford are overachieving]. They've been very impressive, particularly at home.

AP: [Flores] is a gentleman. He goes about his work in a very professional manager. He was a great signing for Watford.

AP: We need to try to win against a good Watford side, then welcome our guys back and know that we're going to be much better going forward.

AP: We need to collect points. We're at a pivotal part of our season really. Cup vs Spurs and a league programme where we're in the middle.

AP: I do think that when the core fanbase are making these kinds of messages, we need to listen.

AP: It isn't just what happens on the pitch that makes the league what it is. It's the atmosphere, the tension, from the fans.

AP: The owners of the football clubs need to really consider carefully that they don't lose the core supporters [through ticket prices].

AP: All our players and staff will be watching that closely.

AP: We're a bit jealous of Leicester, all the clubs of a similar vein are. The romantic in you wants to see them pull it off.

AP: We're good at set plays, so we get a lot of holding and we never get a reward for that. Maybe it was down to frustration.

AP: Connor was fined heavily for the incident. It's uncharacteristic for our players to do something like that.

AP: I've not seen anything [on Jedinak to China]. Their window is still open, so there'll be loads of speculation until it closes.

AP reveals McArthur "could" be back before the end of the season.

AP on McArthur: It's always a boost for a pro player not to have surgery. The surgeon's quite happy it should heal itself.

AP: Bolasie and Sako should be back next week. They're both running, but not back with the group yet.

AP: Gayley is hopefully available, he's trained this week. Connor returns after his ban. So it's a little bit better.

Alan Pardew has arrived for his pre-Watford press conference. #CPFC

Unfortunately there's no stream for Alan Pardew's press conference this week, but it will be on http://eagles.cpfc.co.uk in full later on!

glaziers fan
11-02-2016, 01:48 PM
It's a shame it's 11th Feb and not 11th January. if we hadn't lost so much ground we'd be in good shape. But our squad was rocked by injuries to Sako, Bolasie, Wickham (including suspension) and Gayle all at the same time, and Adebayor is only beginning now to develop match sharpness.

Ultimately we have very little to aim for. The top4 positions are decided, so even if we go on a run only 5th place is realistically achievable, and competition from Liverpool, West Ham, Man Utd etc will make it tough. Then there's an extremely tough away game vs Spurs, who i think will win the league.

So, looking to the summer, can we keep Bolasie and Dann? IMHO only those 2 plus Zaha and Cabaye are good enough to be starters. We need at least 7 new players if we harbour European aspirations. Summer will be make or break. I won't be surprised if the players lack motivation if we fall further behind points wise whilst EA, YB and BS find their feet and fitness. Sorry to be so pessimistic. Having said that, it shows how far we have come.

chatham_eagle
11-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Ultimately we have very little to aim for.

2m per place, isn't it?

Maiden Eagle
11-02-2016, 01:52 PM
It's a shame it's 11th Feb and not 11th January. if we hadn't lost so much ground we'd be in good shape. But our squad was rocked by injuries to Sako, Bolasie, Wickham (including suspension) and Gayle all at the same time, and Adebayor is only beginning now to develop match sharpness.

Ultimately we have very little to aim for. The top4 positions are decided, so even if we go on a run only 5th place is realistically achievable, and competition from Liverpool, West Ham, Man Utd etc will make it tough. Then there's an extremely tough away game vs Spurs, who i think will win the league.

So, looking to the summer, can we keep Bolasie and Dann? IMHO only those 2 plus Zaha and Cabaye are good enough to be starters. We need at least 7 new players if we harbour European aspirations. Summer will be make or break. I won't be surprised if the players lack motivation if we fall further behind points wise whilst EA, YB and BS find their feet and fitness. Sorry to be so pessimistic. Having said that, it shows how far we have come.

Glad you think that relegation is not even the remotest possibility ?

glaziers fan
11-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Glad you think that relegation is not even the remotest possibility ?

It really isn't. There's too much in our locker. Not only exciting attacking players like Wilf and Bolasie, but also steel and leadership - the likes of Delaney and Jedinak are decent lower half Premiership players who would not allow it to happen.

We had a such a great start to the season - after the Stoke win, top 4 was still attainable. But it'll be hard to recover the ground, and we've been very unlucky with the FA Cup draw. 2m per place is basically irrelevant. I guess we have more chance of attracting players if we finish higher up the table, but this season is basically over unless we can win the next 2 games.

stevek
11-02-2016, 02:03 PM
9th would be nice - continuing the season by season higher position.

glaziers fan
11-02-2016, 02:05 PM
9th would be nice - continuing the season by season higher position.

Anywhere 7th to 17th is pretty irrelevant, although I take your point.

mb23
11-02-2016, 02:06 PM

I don't think we need that much of an overhaul. We've shown that when we have our strongest team out we can beat anyone in the league. But if we can replace some of our fringe players like Mutch, Chamakh, Jedinak, Mariappa, Hangeland etc with players of real quality then I think we can challenge for Europe. Full back, CB, winger/CAM, ST (who are on the level of Dann, Cabaye etc), and we should be good to go.

cdm61
11-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Next season preparations should see a much higher turnover of players whether they get upgraded is another matter

BillyTKid
11-02-2016, 02:24 PM
I like all this talk of Europe and kicking on but I find it a bit far fetched at the moment. My goal is to see us starting winning more home games. Its fantastic watching some of these away performances on MOTD but a few more goals and positive performances at home might help to get Selhurst rocking again. I had a quick look online and my calculations suggest we have only won 10 home games out of a possible 35 over this season and last.

Johnny Byrne
11-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Perhaps a squad reorganisation in the summer and replace with fewer but higher quality players and bring through some of our academy lads (Boateng, KaiKai, Anderson) and returning players (Williams and Appiah) and we have the makings of a strong British based squad that "connects" with the fans as well as being strong enough to grow and develop.

Zulu84
11-02-2016, 02:47 PM

Thats a very good way of ruining any cohesion the team has and removing what makes this team tick. And besides that with the wage increase that would likely bring we would be well over our FFP year on year wage bill increase.

And besides all that, i totally disagree that Ward, Ledley, McArthur, Punch and Jedi are not Premier league players and Wickham, Sako, Soure and Lee can't step up as well. We need to strengthen, but rather than doing it on mass we need to focus on 2-3 quality signings....striker, CB and may be another creative mid.

Dave Hedgehog
11-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Ultimately we have very little to aim for.

Can't agree with that. We have two aims, according to the manager and owners:

- Finish higher in the league than we did last year
- Have a go in the cups

We're still on track to finish in the top half, with key players coming back at the right time and a run of winnable games (touch wood) on the horizon. 9th or above is mission accomplished; anything other than relegation is still a big result.

We've already acquitted ourselves well in both cups: losing to City in the League Cup was no disaster and we've swatted away good Prem opposition in the FA Cup.

We need to arrest our form and retrieve our top-half league standing in order to set ourselves up as an attractive proposition for new players. So our league form for the rest of the season is massively important.

This summer will be massive for the club in terms of transfers: the manager has "kept his powder dry" so he has funds; we have a set of youth players prepared to step up and save us some wedge; the end of the FFP 3-year cycle loosens the shackles a little; and a number of expiring contracts will free up wages for new additions.

We have a lot to aim for, and hopefully that comes into focus for fans and players as we hit the home straight.

cdm61
11-02-2016, 03:01 PM
the first thing for any club outside the top 4 and even in it...is to aim to stay in the league...anything after is a bonus...Chelsea still can't bag a win...

HOPE
11-02-2016, 03:14 PM
Oops damn phones

DARZET EAGLE
11-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Thats a very good way of ruining any cohesion the team has and removing what makes this team tick. And besides that with the wage increase that would likely bring we would be well over our FFP year on year wage bill increase.

And besides all that, i totally disagree that Ward, Ledley, McArthur, Punch and Jedi are not Premier league players and Wickham, Sako, Soure and Lee can't step up as well. We need to strengthen, but rather than doing it on mass we need to focus on 2-3 quality signings....striker, CB and may be another creative mid.

The critical signing in my view plus a proven goalscorer should Adebayor move on.....

viking's no1
11-02-2016, 04:23 PM

Have you lost it completely? Are you seriously suggesting that we get rid of 21 of the 25 squad members and purchase another 21 who we think may gel together to get to the Euro spot? We are not Chelsea or these other money no object clubs and I hope we never will be. And we can get to Euroland without a lot of tweaking. All we're missing at the moment is someone up top who knows where the goal is and can work out how to get the ball into the back of the net. We were playing some lovely football before Xmas and the 5-1 hammering of the Geordies typified for me the way we were going to go. But the injury to Yala has made us take a step or two back.

No, no, no. The answer is not wholesale changes. It is to bring in like-minded players who fit, not the free for all and the Marange saga that happened when we went up. Shipping in and out isn't the Palace way. You must have been apoplectic in the 70s and 80s as we fell away and came back only to fall away again and come back. Were you constantly shouting for wholesale changes then? We are a local club for local people and for people who we deem ok to be local. Jimmy Kebe was never local. Bolasie is local by proxy as he's done his time, as has Jedi. No jcls unless they fit the Palace way. A couple of tweaks and bring in the youngsters and together we will achieve greatness together.

RCUK
11-02-2016, 04:49 PM
We tried the wholesale change approach under Holloway when we came up ... 14 players came in, how many of those players are still about?

Few good quality players to be brought in to supplement our squad - we dont have a bad team, we just lost our entire front line in a month which cause our downturn.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Pardew also says Adebayor will "definitely start" on Saturday

JHJ EAGLE
11-02-2016, 05:21 PM

I'll have some of what your on. You seriously think that we have nothing to play for. How about staving off relegation. Oh and chop the majority of the team. You must go to the same school of economics as my four year old daughter. Do you grow your own?

RAB
11-02-2016, 05:47 PM
We have lots to play for. Not just place money but to remove any prospect of relegation and the stress of a battle against it going into the final month of the season.

Any club can still be relegated except for the big seven for their huge resources and/or tradition and this season, Leicester. For the rest it depends on current form, league position and points collected to date. Which almost certainly means, West Ham and Southampton can relax too. Palace might seem almost safe but form (especially at home) is a big negative factor. If we do not win on Saturday, I expect the 66/1 relegation price which a recent post has quoted will be trimmed to perhaps 25/1 or less.

When we lost to Sunderland last October I placed a bet on us being relegated at 45/1. We then thrashed Newcastle a few days later and went on a good run climbing to 5th in the league. I stepped up my bet at bigger odds just as the dreadful post Christmas run started because I'm so used to the Palace roller coaster and if the worst happens, I will be compensated and see these bets as taking out travel insurance. I don't want to collect.

Despite some of the confidence by some that we'll not go down because we have too many good players who are now coming back to fitness, I recall that earlier some also said Chamakh's return would see us scoring freely and it was just a matter of time before Wickham comes good. Wickham only has a penalty to show and Chamakh looks woefully unfit. Now it's Adebayor (who has lots of questions to answer) will score for fun.

Whist we 'only' need three more wins to more or less secure safety, we are just two defeats from our two February league games from crisis. I don't want us going into our last home match of the season with Stoke still needing a point or others to fail to be certain of staying up. After such a great start to the season with so much hope, safety well before then with the chance of winning the Cup will be fantastic.

In the Premier League all I've ever known is for Palace to struggle against relegation. I so want to see Parish's stated wish for Palace to lose the 'plucky but unlucky' image. Until then I'll be happy to go on wasting my money on Palace relegation bets until the penny drops with me that we have become established and our status in the top league is reflected by the bookies each August having Palace on relegation odds similarly as wide as the current big 7 who are by then, with Palace are the big 8. Though somewhere in the mix, with their improved status and investment I expect will be West Ham. Explains why Parish talks about Palace getting up with Everton and Hammers level.

Staying up this season and a run out at Wembley in May will take us closer.

Mr Palace
11-02-2016, 06:43 PM
I like all this talk of Europe and kicking on but I find it a bit far fetched at the moment. My goal is to see us starting winning more home games. Its fantastic watching some of these away performances on MOTD but a few more goals and positive performances at home might help to get Selhurst rocking again. I had a quick look online and my calculations suggest we have only won 10 home games out of a possible 35 over this season and last.

Fully agree.

I've had a season ticket for 27/28 consecutive years and don't remember our home form being as bad as it has been recently (well, obviously apart from 1 or 2 horrible years). It's generally been pretty dire watching us at home getting regularly turned over by average oppo. I think the way we set ourselves up at home is all wrong. we use the same tactics as we do for away games and it clearly doesn't work. I'd like to see us go back to 4-4-2 and attack more - we'd lose some but I think we'd win more than we currently are.

palacea
11-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Fully agree.

I've had a season ticket for 27/28 consecutive years and don't remember our home form being as bad as it has been recently (well, obviously apart from 1 or 2 horrible years). It's generally been pretty dire watching us at home getting regularly turned over by average oppo. I think the way we set ourselves up at home is all wrong. we use the same tactics as we do for away games and it clearly doesn't work. I'd like to see us go back to 4-4-2 and attack more - we'd lose some but I think we'd win more than we currently are.

1997-1998

Pistol Knight
11-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Not heard the word 'Maverick' for ages

hdeagle
11-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Look at the opposition that Palace's 7 home defeats have been to :
Arsenal
Manchester City
West Ham
Sunderland
Chelsea
Spurs
Bournemouth

Of that list the only unexpected results were the losses to Sunderland and Bournemouth.

This brings Palace's home form so far into perspective and shows just how many top teams that Palace have already played.

Palace have beaten most teams below them at home when they have played them.

Jordan's Jacket
11-02-2016, 07:32 PM
I'd be happy with staying up this year. Everything else is a bonus

RAB
11-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Arsenal
Manchester City
West Ham
Sunderland
Chelsea
Spurs
Bournemouth

Of that list the only unexpected results were the losses to Sunderland and Bournemouth.

This brings Palace's home form so far into perspective and shows just how many top teams that Palace have already played.

Good point and reassuring to see the point being made by an 'experienced' and dare I say, scarred Palace fan, looking at your age profile.

I'll hang onto this thought until 4.55 p.m. on Saturday and hopefully I will read your post again, toasting your sagacity and three points won with a glass of chilled white!

Selhurst Celtic
11-02-2016, 07:42 PM
What pub around SE25 are you getting chilled white wine in?

THB
11-02-2016, 07:44 PM
What pub around SE25 are you getting chilled white wine in?

victory club.

Selhurst Celtic
11-02-2016, 07:54 PM
I'll look out for you next time I'm in there so. You should be easy to spot.

It reminded me of Port Vale away years ago. The fella next to me at the jump in a big group of lads ordered 5 lagers, 2 ciders, 2 Guinness and then enquired what red wine they had. It made me smile at the time.

Nostrils
11-02-2016, 08:05 PM

Agree with that, but also hope we'll pick up a few others as an upgrade for overall squad strength, as opposed to all being starters.

Shouldn't upset the balance too much if we get it right. Just hope we keep Dann, Bolasie, Cabaye and maybe even Adebayor, if he can pay his wages with goals.

THB
11-02-2016, 09:20 PM

It reminded me of Port Vale away years ago. The fella next to me at the jump in a big group of lads ordered 5 lagers, 2 ciders, 2 Guinness and then enquired what red wine they had. It made me smile at the time.

As WCB isn't around, I'll do the bidding and say ' do they let your sort in the VC these days' ? Maybe just for the line dancing eh SC? :angel:

Selhurst Celtic
11-02-2016, 09:22 PM
:D

HorleyStu
12-02-2016, 07:39 AM
Just get to 40pts ASAP so I can relax and enjoy the rest of the season, rather than looking over my shoulder.

Blind_Eagle
12-02-2016, 08:16 AM
2m per place is basically irrelevant.

Anywhere 7th to 17th is pretty irrelevant

Do you honestly believe that 20 million is irrelevant?

Blind_Eagle
12-02-2016, 08:18 AM

This bloke ordering the round, was he somewhat tall?

DARZET EAGLE
12-02-2016, 08:22 AM

GF maybe believes that, in the greater scheme of things, 20m will just about buy you a fairly decent striker, half a new stand with world class executive boxes, or a state of the art Academy. No it's not worth getting out of bed for.;)

orp pisshead1
12-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Especially if it was used for transfer pot:p.

orp pisshead1
12-02-2016, 08:32 AM

Was NTE selling the " I saw Taylor score t shirts"?:angel:.

Brumie Allan
12-02-2016, 08:37 AM
What would you like him to say. Lads have been in great spirits - Lads are very down at the moment

. Training is good, more relaxed - Can't get them motivated

. All the first team squad have injuries - you got this one right or rather wrong

. Brilliant point down at Swansea - made us work hard. - should have lost it in the first half

. Need to follow it up with 3pts at SP Saturday - Can't see where our next points are coming from

. Fans been amazing - The fans who said I didn't wave on Saturday can **** off

. Still on course for a good finish in the table - Can't see us beating last years 10th

. Watford have done brilliantly well and will be tough opponents - Should be an easy 3 points You only got one wrong, well done.

Selhurst Celtic
12-02-2016, 09:48 AM
This bloke ordering the round, was he somewhat tall?

I would hazard a guess that approximately 17 cows were killed to make the vast leather jacket he was wearing & it was still a tight fit. I can't recall if he was tall though, this was in 1997ish or something.

Blind_Eagle
12-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Especially if it was used for transfer pot:p.

More to the point it's potentially up to 20m that could be spent on wages, helping us meet STCC requirements, something which no amount of increased tv revenues could.

Yet GF believes that to be irrelevant. :eek:

Blind_Eagle
12-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I would hazard a guess that approximately 17 cows were killed to make the vast leather jacket he was wearing & it was still a tight fit. I can't recall if he was tall though, this was in 1997ish or something.

That suggests someone of a more rotund figure than my "friend" who I thought you were referring to.

Phew.

Selhurst Celtic
12-02-2016, 12:54 PM
It wasn't you Blind. I know what you look like. And where you live etc

:vader:

Blind_Eagle
12-02-2016, 01:27 PM
:D

Mr Palace
12-02-2016, 01:42 PM
Arsenal
Manchester City
West Ham
Sunderland
Chelsea
Spurs
Bournemouth

I don't buy that - Sunderland and Bournemouth were games we should have never lost. West Ham possibly too but we had the red card to contend with

Were generally weak at home.

TWELLSEagle
12-02-2016, 02:54 PM

Tend to agree with your assessment on players but, despite inconsistencies I still rate ward highly and I would like to see more of Kelly at centre back. Souare infuriates and I'm undecided. Puncheon and McArthur have (generally) been so important for us but they need some real competition. I also think Wickham will be a big player for us.

WorthingEagle
12-02-2016, 03:07 PM
More to the point it's potentially up to 20m that could be spent on wages, helping us meet STCC requirements, something which no amount of increased tv revenues could.

Doesn't that 20m come from the TV 'merit payments' pot therefore we wouldn't be able to use it on wages?

MFBias
12-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Anywhere 7th to 17th is pretty irrelevant, although I take your point.

BOLLOX

Could stay up with 38 draws, so you could say winning is irrelevant.

dim
12-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know what would happen if every game in a season by all sides was a score draw?

herts_palace
12-02-2016, 03:51 PM
I don't buy that - Sunderland and Bournemouth were games we should have never lost. West Ham possibly too but we had the red card to contend with

Were generally weak at home.

Did you read what he said? :confused:

Maidstoned Eagle
12-02-2016, 03:52 PM

That was me

Twin of Droy
12-02-2016, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know what would happen if every game in a season by all sides was a score draw?

Palace get relegated

Blind_Eagle
12-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Doesn't that 20m come from the TV 'merit payments' pot therefore we wouldn't be able to use it on wages?

To be honest I'm not certain.

orp pisshead1
12-02-2016, 04:57 PM

To be fair it is GF :D.

thereichstuff
12-02-2016, 11:38 PM
To be fair it is GF :D.

Who else !

Maiden Eagle
13-02-2016, 05:09 PM
It really isn't. There's too much in our locker. Not only exciting attacking players like Wilf and Bolasie, but also steel and leadership - the likes of Delaney and Jedinak are decent lower half Premiership players who would not allow it to happen.

We had a such a great start to the seaso - after the Stoke win, top 4 was still attainable. But it'll be hard to recover the ground, and we've been very unlucky with the FA Cup draw. 2m per place is basically irrelevant. I guess we have more chance of attracting players if we finish higher up the table, but this season is basically over unless we can win the next 2 games.

Well, we've lost the first of these games and unless Spurs put out their 'D' team next week, I would suggest we are going out of the Cup.

So that will be it - Season over - No chance of us being dragged into a relegation fight:rolleyes::clown:

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o
13-02-2016, 05:12 PM
No chance of us being dragged into a relegation fight:rolleyes::clown:
Steady..this is Palace..I'd say we are dead certs for a relegation fight..if we aren't already ?

Lord Flange
17-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Deleted as wrong thread..