PDA

View Full Version : How many more losses does it take before we have to question the manager?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

dilem
13-02-2016, 05:23 PM
The team has massively underperformed(zaha, dann aside) in this 9game winless streak.
Im not calling for sack or anything silly, but all i'll say is if Pardew wasnt a palace cult hero people would start scapegoating someone other than hennessey and mutch.

Players,Parde, referees and luck have all gone against us in this period and its beyond frustrating.

thehalifaxman
13-02-2016, 05:24 PM
I suppose if our owners were clueless morons they would start to look for a new manager now

Thefunkymonk
13-02-2016, 05:25 PM

He cost us today. Poor substitution with Campbell on for
Mutch when we were on top.. Left a gaping hole in midfield and changed the swing of the game. No win in 9.. It's ******* awful. Pardew seems tactically inept. I genuinely fear we will get relegated. Seriously.

beef
13-02-2016, 05:26 PM
It's difficult timing now that Warnock is not available.

CPFC.1990
We need Bolasie back. He gives us that edge.

Jono14
Our first bad run in a year and it's time to sack the manager. ******* pathetic mentality, the last thing we need is ANOTHER manager. Use your ******* brain.

Jim Cannon
It's a fair question to ask but straight after another defeat when we are all angry and pissed off is probably not the best time to ask

maestro
13-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I think Pards is a bit of a fair weather manager, he wants his teams to win at all costs and doesnt seem prepared to graft out draws when his team has injuries or loss of form.

I remember before the spurs game he said " we cant expect to win this game" what sort of message is that?

Imo he should have settled for a draw today, being on Hiram Boateng and go 2 unbeaten.

Good manager when things are going well, poor when not

maestro
We need Bolasie back. He gives us that edge.

Defensively he look a shambles, specially at home

dilem
this run was far worse than warnocks before he was sacked. Performances have been similar too, had unlucky losses and deserved losses with seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel.

However pardew is 10X the manager warnock is, and what will go his way is he has recovered from runs such as this several times at newcastle.

What isnt acceptable is 9winless premier leauge games.

davemorris04
I hate the fact that everyone who kept saying to me after he's been there for a year it will all go to shit are now seemingly being proved correct. He seems to have no idea at the moment.

Kidofwonder
Think you have to question the attitude of some of the players tbh

dilem
13-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Our first bad run in a year and it's time to sack the manager. ******* pathetic mentality, the last thing we need is ANOTHER manager. Use your ******* brain.

Or alternatively, you could read my post.
Where i said im not suggesting to sack the manager.

You cant have 9games without a win and still shout pardew for england, while scapegoating specific players/referee every week.

Friskey
I suppose if our owners were clueless morons they would start to look for a new manager now

:)

rhiannapaul
Boliase isn't going to save us the problems are with the managers tactics we always only seem to play one half ...

davemorris04
13-02-2016, 05:30 PM

It's not just the run though is it. Look at who we've played in the last 8 games:

Bournemouth
Swansea
Villa
Chelsea
Man City
Spurs
Bournemouth
Watford

We should have looked to have taken 15 points from those games, we have had 3 and been ******* shit in every one bar 1 or maybe at a push two

Seanee Pawnee
13-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Now would be a perfect time to get rid of someone who's built us up from a nothing club in just over a year
Who do you suggest we swap him for????
We are having a dreadful run not helped by injuries and yes I will say poor goalkeeping, especially his desicion to throw the ball out to Souare just before he got sent off.
Playing the likes of quality players like Mutch and Jedi at the moment aren't helping either.
But suggesting Pardz time is over...
We might as well throw in the towel now!

Danny boy
13-02-2016, 05:31 PM
He needs to make the team hard to beat instead of trying to play attacking football with players who are not good enough to do anything at this level

carter
13-02-2016, 05:31 PM
First half was awful. It's a miracle we went in drawing. Formation was all wrong, the set up was all wrong. The selection was wrong. Who the **** plays 2 big guys upfront from kick off? Second half we finally started it how we should have and Wickham was off with Lee on. Finally, a balance side. We start to dominate so what does he do? Take off Mutch, who's playing well and brings on a striker so we set up the same as we did the first half. Tactically clueless. He has lost us that game today. Don't give me all this bollox, oh but Bolasie isn't playing bla bla bla. We've just lost at home to Bournemouth and Watford, not Barce****inglona.

Jim Cannon
13-02-2016, 05:32 PM

You cant have 9games without a win and still shout pardew for england, while scapegoating specific players/referee every week.

We had clueless people thinking he was going to get poached by liverpool a couple of months ago. He won't be sacked but we need to arrest this slide asap

Seanee Pawnee
13-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Boliase isn't going to save us the problems are with the managers tactics we always only seem to play one half ...

We've been doing that since Holloway was in charge!

dilem
13-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Subs and squad selection has been curious for a while now.
Puncheon never being dropped.
Campbell making bench over gayle.
Kaikai being dropped from bench?
Bringing sako back too quickly vrs villa.
Subbing lee off against bournemouth.
Switching to 442 today.

Need to start winning or its looking bleak.

Robson
13-02-2016, 05:34 PM
We are up shit creak. The first half was our worst since promotion, Adebayor's goal saved them from being booed off. It looked to me like our manager's lost the dressing room. But then the second half was much better, except we can no longer defend - that much is clear. Shipping goals and not scoring, 3 points from a possible 27 = relegation.

Robson
13-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Our home for under Pardew has been shocking since he took over, it's just our away form masked it. Now the away form's dried up, it's being shown up.

zonin2000
13-02-2016, 05:36 PM
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS ARE SUGGESTING WE SACK PARDEW oh wait nobody has actually suggested that.

Danny boy
13-02-2016, 05:37 PM
I think Pards is a bit of a fair weather manager, he wants his teams to win at all costs and doesnt seem prepared to graft out draws when his team has injuries or loss of form.

I remember before the spurs game he said " we cant expect to win this game" what sort of message is that?

Imo he should have settled for a draw today, being on Hiram Boateng and go 2 unbeaten.

Good manager when things are going well, poor when not

Yep when we had all these injuries we should have gone out to just keep a clean sheet and hope to nick one from a set piece and then started to play more attacking when players like Bolasie and Sako back

doogleboy
13-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I question the manager. He's poor tactically. Good man manager but little else. Get rid

rhiannapaul
13-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Newcastle fans said this would happen wins a few loses a lot wins a few

zonin2000
13-02-2016, 05:39 PM
To answer the original post, you can question the manager at any point, I suppose. He's partly to blame for the poor run. So is poor luck, injuries and key players losing form.

He hasn't found the right formula to deal with a difficult situation.

The only way to really say whether or not he is to blame is if you knew how every other manager would have coped in the circumstances.

But there is no way of knowing that.

zonin2000
13-02-2016, 05:39 PM
I question the manager. He's poor tactically. Good man manager but little else. Get rid

Oh, someone has now suggested it.

palacea
13-02-2016, 05:42 PM
The team has massively underperformed(zaha, dann aside) in this 9game winless streak.
Im not calling for sack or anything silly, but all i'll say is if Pardew wasnt a palace cult hero people would start scapegoating someone other than hennessey and mutch.

Players,Parde, referees and luck have all gone against us in this period and its beyond frustrating.

No way its the manager. Blame should and righly so be on the SP and the board. Taking us down despite the obvious offensive issues which have been known for a year and more.

doogleboy
13-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Parish and standing still come to mind

dowieslovechild
13-02-2016, 05:43 PM
I will get in nice and early. Pardew's tactics are flawed. He's trying to get us to play an attacking, passing game, with a squad not skillful enough to play it. He picks the side, he picks the tactics, he's to blame.

Still early days and he can blame injuries for now. But I will reserve judgement, as he needs time, but this is my gut feel. The fans are already voting with their feet and the atmosphere is the worst for ten years, which speaks volumes about the current lack of belief.

davemorris04
13-02-2016, 05:44 PM
We knew what we needed two weeks before the window opened. We needed a striker to immediately be fit and come in, we didn't sign that. Why didn't we look to get a loan in or a hungry striker from the Championship? Why no attacking midfielder or winger for cover? Campbell and Mutch are nowhere near good enough. Jedinak has completely lost it. Souare cannot defend and Ward's form is poor. Cabaye is not the same player anymore. Everyone knew we needed a couple of signings to freshen things up. Instead all we've had is pure speculation about a stadium rebuild that will probably never happen. Joke.

tasty_snacks

Repped.

st albans
Some of the players getting regular game time in this streak would be nowhere near out first 11. Campbell, Mutch and Lee for example. If the winless run was with the likes of bolasie, Sako, Gayle, Wickham, Cabaye, macarthur and Puncheon playing regularly then maybe, but for **** sake it's like people forget the quality of player we've had out recently

Dal
Wonder what Harris et al think?

Danny boy
13-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Some of the players getting regular game time in this streak would be nowhere near out first 11. Campbell, Mutch and Lee for example. If the winless run was with the likes of bolasie, Sako, Gayle, Wickham, Cabaye, macarthur and Puncheon playing regularly then maybe, but for **** sake it's like people forget the quality of player we've had out recently

Agreed so surely Pardew should make the side harder to beat? It can't just be down to injuries the managers has to take some criticism

dowieslovechild
13-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Who gives a shit what they think? Let's see them get their wallets out before giving them an opinion. .

tasty_snacks
13-02-2016, 05:48 PM
It is not just about results on the pitch.

AP shares a vision for Palace that will see us grow organically and cement success over the coming few years.

beef
13-02-2016, 05:49 PM

Who?

richardbarlow
13-02-2016, 05:50 PM
As a Palace supporter of some 50 years, l would not be surprised if we ended up getting relegated. We were supposed to push on this season and during the the first half of it we flattered to deceive, but have now been found out. We failed to strengthen the squad in January and cracks are appearing in every department and sadly the manager is bereft of ideas to change things around. Whether suitable players were available in the transfer window remains to be seen, but our lack of intent was there for all to see and this may come back to haunt us! Yes we have had injuries, but you need to have a squad suitable to overcome those, we don't. Unfortunately in January there was an element of "we've already done enough to survive and we can push on next season," which certainly isn't the case. Our form is abysmal and at the moment l can see no way out of it. I'm not surprised about our plights as after all this is Palace, but it's sad that with the financial benefits to Premiership clubs from an improved television deal due next season we might well miss out. I really hope to be proved wrong and I'm waiting for the flack, but as a realist l really am starting to get concerned.

palacea
13-02-2016, 05:51 PM
Who gives a shit what they think? Let's see them get their wallets out before giving them an opinion. .

They have spent their money lining the pockets of cpfc2010

sideburns7
13-02-2016, 05:52 PM
He wasnt a good player just dined out on the liverpool goal
Brighton up palace down.l know injuries havent helped.but to my mind gayles our best striker but he now has to get passed ade and his signing wickham

Kosowski
13-02-2016, 05:52 PM

AP shares a vision for Palace that will see us grow organically and cement success over the coming few years.

All very well if his vision includes prancing unicorns and shiny new stadiums. On the pitch is where it matters and we didn't strengthen.

TomEagle
13-02-2016, 05:54 PM
Probably best that the new contract talks are put on the back burner for now.

davemorris04
13-02-2016, 05:54 PM

It is though. I don't give a **** about a decent training pitch and a redeveloped Main stand while we watch Palace in front of 10000 in League 1.

biggus mickus
13-02-2016, 05:55 PM
He needs to make the team hard to beat instead of trying to play attacking football with players who are not good enough to do anything at this level

Fvck me!!!!! I agree with you.

I hate me.

Gosport Eagle
13-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Everyone has a bad streak during a season and you want to sack the ******* manager? 🔵🔴

Heath eagle
13-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Next two prem games , west brom and Sunderland away , massive we lose both of them and I think we will drop , forget Spurs play a weakened side

doogleboy
13-02-2016, 05:58 PM
This is more than a bad streak. This is relegation form pal

racehorse-80s
13-02-2016, 05:58 PM
Pulis was a far better manager to have for steadying the Ship whilst we invested in the ground , Pardew seems to look at us as a stepping stone to higher things but it wlll be a step back for him unless he turns this around sharpish .

willcpfc
13-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Pardew will do us fine. Survival was only ever the objective. Talk of Europe was utterly deluded given the squad we have.

However, if we did get relegated - he would have to go.

ET1
13-02-2016, 05:59 PM
They have spent their money lining the pockets of cpfc2010

they bought a stake in the club.

they haven't lined anyone's pocket.

st albans
13-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Pulis was a far better manager to have for steadying the Ship whilst we invested in the ground , Pardew seems to look at us as a stepping stone to higher things but it wlll be a step back for him unless he turns this around sharpish .

Honestly, I'd rather get relegated with pardew than stay up with pulis

davemorris04
13-02-2016, 06:03 PM
At Christmas we were 8 points ahead of Southampton. We're now 8 points behind them.

Kai
13-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Why does he have to bring subs on at half time in EVERY game?? For how many games running has he done that now? It shows that whatever plan he has doesn't work, or that his team selection didn't work out. Today it worked out pretty well as we played much better in the 2nd but he has to stop doing it. It must ruin the confidence of his players

Raggy
13-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Unfortunately in January there was an element of "we've already done enough to survive and we can push on next season," which certainly isn't the case.

This.

As recently as a week or so ago, Pardew was talking as if the Cup was the priority. Dangerously arrogant. Dangerously complacent.

Robson
13-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Why does he have to bring subs on at half time in EVERY game?? For how many games running has he done that now? It shows that whatever plan he has doesn't work, or that his team selection didn't work out. Today it worked out pretty well as we played much better in the 2nd but he has to stop doing it. It must ruin the confidence of his players

It shows that his team selection and tactics are often incorrect. It's jumpers for goal posts at the moment, from The Next England Manager.

Tim
13-02-2016, 06:06 PM
We need a foreign manager. All English managers are shit! That why they never win **** all!

Bobby Smith
13-02-2016, 06:07 PM

What I think the OP meant was that perhaps Pards might need to find a way of getting us some points on the board, and if that means parking the bus then so be it. Unfortunately AP is as predictable and pedestrian as the team...

palacea
13-02-2016, 06:08 PM
This.

As recently as a week or so ago, Pardew was talking as if the Cup was the priority. Dangerously arrogant. Dangerously complacent.

Of course he was going to talk it up, if your hands were tied im sure every manager would tow the line. Remember this is a board that has fallen out with every manager to date.

dilem
13-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Everyone has a bad streak during a season and you want to sack the ******* manager? 🔵🔴

literally why are people unable to read my opening post where i explicitly state im not suggesting sacking the manager.
People on here are morons
-> see negative title about a cult hero, proceed to take moral high ground and shit their pants if anyone criticises their idol.

racehorse-80s
13-02-2016, 06:09 PM

Not sure that is what the club needs at the moment with plans to build a new stand and directors box tickets at 2k a go but yes the Championship is the more exciting division for my liking.

dim
13-02-2016, 06:10 PM
calm down dear.

Selling Murray looking like a poor decision. So many winnable games without a frontman.

Yoda
13-02-2016, 06:11 PM

And yet you start a thread that surely is suggesting that be considered soon?

If you're not suggesting it, don't start the thread.

Danny boy
13-02-2016, 06:12 PM
What I think the OP meant was that perhaps Pards might need to find a way of getting us some points on the board, and if that means parking the bus then so be it. Unfortunately AP is as predictable and pedestrian as the team...

Spot on

The Omen
13-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Out of the cup and don't win either of our next two league games... I don't think Pardew could complain if he finds himself out of work.

Scary to think who we would replace him with though.

willcpfc
13-02-2016, 06:13 PM
calm down dear.

Selling Murray looking like a poor decision. So many winnable games without a frontman.

Well yes, he has certainly been banging them in at his new club.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
13-02-2016, 06:17 PM
puzzled by Pardew's faith in Campbell.

Danny boy
13-02-2016, 06:20 PM

He still better than all our strikers other than Adebayor

jobiinthelastmi
13-02-2016, 06:21 PM

He doesn't suit their team and style of play.

Letting him go was a costly mistake. Lets hope it's not too costly

Palaceguard
More games than we've lost. We started stronger this year than our past two seasons and still have a chance of ending higher in the league and finishing strongly in a cup. Keep chopping and changing managers doesn't help, look at qphaha

Lessons do need to be learned and improvements made. We need a stronger squad with more options

Had reservations about Pards but one thing I do rate him for is how he comes across in interviews etc, would I trust him with the wife?? Maybe not but I think he's good for the club and can turn it round

Looking2curl1
He still better than all our strikers other than Adebayor

Exactly. And Adebayor has been fit for about a week.

Friskey
13-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Out of the cup and don't win either of our next two league games... I don't think Pardew could complain if he finds himself out of work.

Scary to think who we would replace him with though.

It would still be mad to get rid of him in that situation. Who are we going to get? We've got to stick with him and see what happens when the injuries clear up.

Timbo
13-02-2016, 06:23 PM

Had a couple on the way back?

Looking2curl1
13-02-2016, 06:24 PM
More games than we've lost. We started stronger this year than our past two seasons and still have a chance of ending higher in the league and finishing strongly in a cup. Keep chopping and changing managers doesn't help, look at qphaha

Lessons do need to be learned and improvements made. We need a stronger squad with more options

Had reservations about Pards but one thing I do rate him for is how he comes across in interviews etc, would I trust him with the wife?? Maybe not but I think he's good for the club and can turn it round

Finishing higher? Are you on crack?!

We've taken what 3 points from the last 27.

We will be lucky to survive.

in-exile
13-02-2016, 06:25 PM
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU IDIOTS ARE SUGGESTING WE SACK PARDEW oh wait nobody has actually suggested that.Haha:lux:

Penstone Eagle
13-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Pardew is taking this team down the league, he appears to not have a clue about how to lift the team, that abysmal excuse of a performance in the first half was inexcusable and arguably the worst since he's been here.

J Redknapp has just called Newcastle's first 20 minutes of today's performance the worst PL performance he's ever seen, should have been at selhurst Jamie!

racehorse-80s
13-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Still having to play Norwich at home and Newcastle/Sunderland away could be what sends us down IMO

KungFuCharlie
13-02-2016, 06:37 PM

They already did...

lofty3rgj
13-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Pardew is taking this team down the league, he appears to not have a clue about how to lift the team, that abysmal excuse of a performance in the first half was inexcusable and arguably the worst since he's been here.

J Redknapp has just called Newcastle's first 20 minutes of today's performance the worst PL performance he's ever seen, should have been at selhurst Jamie!
:)

Jim Cannon

To be fair, Norwich have probably managed 3 or 4 of the worst prem performances ever this season alone, even worse than Newcastle

hull eagle

This

Timbo
literally why are people unable to read my opening post where i explicitly state im not suggesting sacking the manager.
People on here are morons
-> see negative title about a cult hero, proceed to take moral high ground and shit their pants if anyone criticises their idol.

LOL, well said

Ardent Eagle Forever
13-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Player aside, I thought subbing Mutch was strange when we were well on top of Watford. Surely you don't change things when they are looking good.

willcpfc
13-02-2016, 06:42 PM
He doesn't suit their team and style of play.

Letting him go was a costly mistake. Lets hope it's not too costly

The fact we are misty eyed about Murray is the root of our current problem. Murray bless him would not get a regular start in any PL side. That applies to our entire squad. Cabaye and Dann excepted.

There was sheer mad talk of European football when we massively over achieved for a while earlier in the season. We had then, and still have one of the Leagues weakest squads. Survival is what we should aspire to. And every game is going to be a mini cup final now - everyone is fighting for something.

Palaceguard
13-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Finishing higher? Are you on crack?!

We've taken what 3 points from the last 27.

We will be lucky to survive.

8 points off bottom four, 9 points away from fifth. A few wins can make a big difference as we've found.

We had a great run, we've had an awful run. Hopefully our the bad run will end and the good one will start again, cos unless you are suggesting Bamford played a part in our purple patch and Adebayor is a big negative, nothing else has changed

Danny boy
13-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Pulis probably had a worse team than this and was still able to grind out a few results if Pardew set up a team well enough to get a few clean sheets things wouldn't look this bad

racehorse-80s
13-02-2016, 06:49 PM

History under 2010 proves the opposite to be true though :cool: Cheaper to get a new manager to improve the teams form than spend multi- millions on new players .

Winny
13-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Thread is embarrassing.

Pardew will turn this round.

TWELLSEagle
13-02-2016, 06:58 PM
For the first time this season, and quite incredibly, I am conceding there's a possibility we may go down. We are sinking like a stone. Of course the manager must be questioned. It's the worst form in the league. Our players are far better than this, even with the injuries.

elgin eagle
13-02-2016, 06:59 PM
Thread is embarrassing.

Pardew will turn this round.

This. He must take his share of the blame but most teams have slumps of form and/or injuries at some point in the season. We've had both at the same time.

We've massively missed Bolasie. He makes the entire team tick by turning defence to attack. Pardew hasn't been able to formulate a plan B in his absence but he has been as hamstrung as anyone with all the injuries.

A rebuilding job will be required in the summer though with a lot out of contract and pace required across the board. Try to pick a first 11 that should be in there on merit.

TomEagle
13-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Currently on a worse run of results than under Holloway and Warnock. He's got to be worried surely. I'm not advocating sacking him but this is dire at the moment. It's a bit embarrassing that as soon as Bolasie's injured we just completely fall apart.

Penstone Eagle
13-02-2016, 07:01 PM
This. He must take his share of the blame but most teams have slumps of form and/or injuries at some point in the season. We've had both at the same time.

Pity he doesn't take his fair share of the blame.

cpfcfan1
13-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Still not worried, we have 32 points and will be ok. Once we get everyone back we will start winning have been unlucky in a number of games

RAB
13-02-2016, 07:04 PM
It's only ever about winning football matches. All this vision stuff hangs on that.

Pardew's team selection and tactics have failed abysmally since Christmas and it's delusional to say different when the points return is 3 from 27. That is worse than relegation form. The Cup results against weakened opponents masked the problems.

All teams have injuries and suspensions but to read some of the rose tinted views, Palace's was the worst.

Today was the first time I actually felt that relegation was more probable than possible when I saw that Pardew had selected Adebayor AND Wickham. I am just a fan (over many years but just a fan) and I could not see how this was sensible. Watford were very poor and probably couldn't believe their luck. At least Pardew saw his mistake and corrected it but for the second home game running, the first half was squandered against opponents who have come to SP expecting to be put under the cosh from the start.

If Wickham supplied the cross for Adebayor's goal, surely he wasn't bought for that role.

I've been saying for sometime that our dreadful home form, more than our lack of goals from strikers may yet turn out for this season to be a repeat of the Smith relegation where a competent defence was undone by having all the eggs in the Armstrong basket. Dowie arrived to help with the Cup run to the semis but it was too late and we went down.

Pardew has failed in his stated aim pre season to make winning at Selhurst his priority and despite what some may think, I expect the Board are looking at the situation very anxiously now. No manager is 'fireproof'.

If we slip into a relegation fight, the circumstances of the last two seasons are reversed as we'll be on a downward form curve. Then with nervy players, our terrible home form will probably relegate us. Currently only Bournemouth and Villa have picked up fewer points at home and we are likely to accompany them to the Championship.

Then if Pardew lasts through the Summer (doubtful), I'd expect him to be sacked by next Christmas when as pre season promotion favourites, we are languising at or near the foot of the division. That's the Palace way.

eagles2008
13-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Still 2 more games to go before I judge whether we are in any trouble. West brom and Sunderland if we do not win one of these then the alarm bells kick in. Pardew should be backed.

SeanPalace84
I don't think we will go down and don't believe we should question Pardew too much yet but also think it's fair to ask questions of him. We need a win as it would do us all the world of good.

Nelson Muntz
His decisions were strange today and sadly he's getting found out a bit.

CharlieCPFC
We can blame this poor run on having no Bolasie, or selling Murray but it all seems a bit pathetic when we've shown in the past that we have been successful without both the aforementioned. Our problems lay much deeper than this.

We consolidated ourselves as a solid side who could hit teams swiftly and quickly on the counter, we had to evolve from that eventually (which we are) as we were getting found out. The first part in evolving ourselves was being creative from all angles across the park and not just relying on magic from our wide men.

For me Pardew needs to really and truly have a style of play he wants to impose and stick true to his guns and bring in the additions to allow that to happen. His experience at Newcastle and the Premier League in general should really supply him with enough knowledge to know what exactly is needed to be successful long term at this level.

We brought in Cabaye as part of the starting process to be a threat from the middle and to add some much needed creativity, but in my opinion it's been a waste as we haven't really followed up with that. McCarthur next to him is a great fit and the two together look superb. But when one or the other gets injured our system has to change dramatically as the player in Jedinak and Ledley to Cabaye and McCarthur is a whole deal different. When you have two ball playing midfielders like Jimmy and Cabaye you can constantly rely on them to receive the ball in tight positions and deal with it sufficiently, when you have in particular Jedinak he struggles to adapt to a game where we need to take the initiative and break teams down and make things happen. We should have had more like for like quality pushing Jimmy and Cabaye.

But then the next problem which in my opinion has been the biggest all season is that number 10 position. Puncheon has been poor this season and it looks like nobody else in the squad wants to step up and cement that position. CY Lee is the closest I think who could fulfil that, although as a big critic of Mutch he has actually been alright recently. But nonetheless this position is vital in spearheading attacks centrally, a quality number 10 who can score goals and create can make a huge difference. Only we should know, we had one last season who has disappeared this campaign.

The other issue I believe is how we play out from the back and our phases of play in general. It looks very rigid and static, players just seem to not really know what to do when they get the ball. The amount of times we have gone back to the back four in fear of making things happen going forward is criminal, particularly when the next ball from Delaney is a 50 yard punt to a 5ft odd Campbell who's ineffective in the air.

There's quite a few things that add up to this poor run, now is the time for Pardew to earn his money. Of course having Bolasie back will be a huge bonus, but we can't continue to go throughout the season sweating on Bolasie to not get injured it isn't a sustainable way long term. We need to add quality and really heaten up the competition for places all round in the squad, hopefully the lack of activity in January was due to the fact it gives us a few months to really scout and identify the players we need which will be worth the outlay. I thoroughly expect us to invest heavily in the summer, but then again you just never know with us. You need to look at the age of players in our squad to see we do need to freshen things up a bit.

Above all this however, it really wouldn't surprise me if we go and beat Tottenham next week and have a good cup run at the expense of a disappointing second half season campaign. Which I'm sure providing we don't get relegated the majority on here would take that :p

DARZET EAGLE

They already have...50m each.

DARZET EAGLE
13-02-2016, 07:11 PM
He wasnt a good player just dined out on the liverpool goal
Brighton up palace down.l know injuries havent helped.but to my mind gayles our best striker but he now has to get passed ade and his signing wickham

Get real and chill.

foxinthebox
13-02-2016, 07:12 PM
We will be ok. We will buy defenders and a gk and forward and do it all again next year :-)

DARZET EAGLE
13-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Next two prem games , west brom and Sunderland away , massive we lose both of them and I think we will drop , forget Spurs play a weakened side

Sheer hysteria.

eaglejez
13-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Thread is embarrassing.

People are losing their minds. Its annoying, depressing etc but lets not jump off the dock quite yet !

Looking2curl1
13-02-2016, 07:14 PM
8 points off bottom four, 9 points away from fifth. A few wins can make a big difference as we've found.

We had a great run, we've had an awful run. Hopefully our the bad run will end and the good one will start again, cos unless you are suggesting Bamford played a part in our purple patch and Adebayor is a big negative, nothing else has changed

What has changed is that other teams have strengthened and James McArthur is out for the season. The squad are now crippled with a lack of confidence. The feel good factor is long gone.

I hope you are right but momentum is powerful in football.

We have what i would call downwards momentum and turning it around is not easy and should not be taken for granted.

I don't want Pardew out- I back him 100%, but I am concerned and I think that is a fair position.

I also think this whole situation could've been easily avoided if we had managed our transfers differently.

sl6 Eagle
13-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Feels like Warnock is back in charge. Terrible 'hoof' football bereft of ideas.

costello
13-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Everything went for us in the first half of the season. We won so many matches that we did not deserve to win. In the last few matches the luck has run out. Injuries, wonder goals scored against us, poor refereeing and being punished for our mistakes. If there is anything to blame Pardew for it is the fact that he started talking about Europe. We are no better than a mid-table team and he would have been wise to focus on the 40-point target before this stupid talk of a top-6 finish.

henryhallandhisbasque
13-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Beginning to question the whole thing now. I am so bitterly upset at how the season has collapsed like this. No, cancel that. I am devastated with it.

Who to blame? Pardew? Lack of spending in January? Much needed reinforcements in crucial positions ignored for months. Making bastard documentaries not needed at a time like this. Too media friendly chairman, talking a great game and looking the part, but ultimately one who needs to shut his mouth and let his actions do the talking. Salako? Palace legend, but a first team coach??

If we do get relegated, serious questions need to be asked about the judgement calls made this season, particularly in terms of squad investment.

So pissed off with how it appears to be turning out. Want to see Speroni back in goal, too.

Looking2curl1
13-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Still not worried, we have 32 points and will be ok. Once we get everyone back we will start winning have been unlucky in a number of games

You would've been huming along to the violins on the titanic

Wycombe Eagle#2
13-02-2016, 07:18 PM

I'm not saying for one minute Pardew needs to go but by chopping and changing our managers that's exactly why we stayed up!!!!

Nigelbrag
13-02-2016, 07:19 PM
First half was awful. It's a miracle we went in drawing. Formation was all wrong, the set up was all wrong. The selection was wrong. Who the **** plays 2 big guys upfront from kick off? Second half we finally started it how we should have and Wickham was off with Lee on. Finally, a balance side. We start to dominate so what does he do? Take off Mutch, who's playing well and brings on a striker so we set up the same as we did the first half. Tactically clueless. He has lost us that game today. Don't give me all this bollox, oh but Bolasie isn't playing bla bla bla. We've just lost at home to Bournemouth and Watford, not Barce****inglona.

Summed up perfectly.

That First half was embarrassment, surely AP must have realised the system chosen was totally unbalanced without even stepping out on the pitch. Also you simply CANT play Ade and Wickham as an attacking combination in any form, as they cancel out each others effectiveness, as we saw.
This situation is going to give management a real problem, Ade is by far our best option as lone striker and needs to play to regain sharpness, so that leaves Wickham warming the bench, some will say we need cover but does that do Wickham any favours? and more importantly will he ever improve if not playing.
The loss of Bolasie has been far greater than we could have imagined it would be, but it goes beyond that as the whole team is showing a lack of confidence and that has reflected by the poor quality being shown in the team. Surely it was clear to see in January the addition of a Couple of decent signings was desperately needed to stop the slide that was occurring that has seen Palace slide from 5th to 13th, with no sign of it stopping.
I would like to think the only reason we WONT get drawn into a relegation fight (I am really hoping) is due to our early season form, and the desperate form shown of the current teams at the bottom.
But in reality this should be unacceptable if it is to be our saviour, and the Board and the Manager should hang their heads for allowing this situation to have reached this stage when it possibly could /should have been avoided.

Palaceguard
13-02-2016, 07:19 PM
I also think this whole situation could've been easily avoided if we had managed our transfers differently.

I agree mate, we needed a couple more in to freshen it up and they should have been done early in the window

Fatboy
13-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Is Pardew responsible for them being 5-0 down to Chelsea ?

waddoneagle
Love the people on this site, PTID

elgin eagle

Palaceguard
13-02-2016, 07:25 PM
I'm not saying for one minute Pardew needs to go but by chopping and changing our managers that's exactly why we stayed up!!!!

The difference may be the calibre of managers we've had in the past.

Pulis was successful (still not my or apparently his choice) but non of our other managers have had similar success to Pards. Not suggesting he is the messiah (we all know he can be a very naughty boy) and that there aren't better managers on all levels but where we are we would struggle to get a better manager unless we can do a number on United and get Mourinho, we all know he loves us :love:

917L
13-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Salako? Palace legend, but a first team coach??

Interesting point, IMO (no idea whether he is agood coach or not)

Woodman doesnt seem to have had any kind of positive impact on the keepers either

Keith Powell
13-02-2016, 07:32 PM
I think we all new we needed to strengthen in January apart from Adebayor nothing happened and that is down to Parish and not Pardew I did think the starting line up today was a bit odd with Wickham on the wing

Palaceguard
13-02-2016, 07:36 PM
I think we all new we needed to strengthen in January apart from Adebayor nothing happened and that is down to Parish and not Pardew I did think the starting line up today was a bit odd with Wickham on the wing

Gets some good crosses in and an assist!

But we could have done with a left back, a defensive midfielder and a number 10

danpalace07
13-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Interesting point, IMO (no idea whether he is agood coach or not)

Woodman doesnt seem to have had any kind of positive impact on the keepers either

Apparently Ben Garner was very highly rated. Jobs for the boys at the club these days though

LLCOOLSTEVE
13-02-2016, 07:39 PM
losing at Home to Bournemouth and Watford, after our start to the season, is bloody awful.

Palaceguard
13-02-2016, 07:42 PM

If his son refuses to sign a contract in the summer for the Geordies (hopefully he was watching today!!) and choses us, that may change and it may be worthwhile, so long as he doesn't do one again

cpfcfly
13-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Eleventeen.

In all seriousness, when we're in the relegation zone or in serious danger of dropping out the league.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
13-02-2016, 07:44 PM
I think I am starting to question him - very disappointed by a number of things recently but today's decision to bring Campbell on and moreover change the shape of the team was awful IMHO. We were already well on top - we didn't need the change at all.
And all that was after he had corrected the shape after an awful 1st half!! Poor selection for the start too.

He has a habit of over-chasing games at home, stretching the play - and we often get punished.

I don't want us to sack him but I am starting to question some of his decisions.

CharlieCPFC
13-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Apparently Ben Garner was very highly rated. Jobs for the boys at the club these days though

Sadly it's starting to look this way a bit, the way we're structured now in comparison to under Pulis is appalling. The conditioning of the players has been quite clearly atrocious as well this season, we need an overhaul. The scouting department needs sorting out as well.

swissroll
13-02-2016, 07:54 PM
I think we all new we needed to strengthen in January apart from Adebayor nothing happened and that is down to Parish

It's down to FFP.

KP'S Nuts
13-02-2016, 07:55 PM
The quicker the FA cup is out the way with a loss to Tottenham the concentration needed to get to 40 points will begin. The mantra drilled into the players in past seasons of not being safe until reaching 40 seems to have vanished. You don't here our players mention it as if they think we are safe.

Eaglesmad123
13-02-2016, 08:02 PM
The blame lies with not backing the manager and hiring coaches whose only experience is being ex players

Ogilvy
13-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Hes always been far to arrogant for my liking, when things were going well, it was because he's a tactical genius, now the wheels have come off, it's luck and injuries. I don't know of many palace managers who would be afforded the slack he is. This is a terrible run, and we are getting what we deserve every week. His signings have been awful (yohan aside) and persisting with bamford and Campbell is just amazing.
Parish and the American money, means the top table get plenty of column inches. Doing so well early on seems to have made very good people (Pardew and parish) believe their own hype. The last couple of home games have been abysmal

Old Joe Paxton
13-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Dark days. Pennies dropping from our eyes.

Pardew hasn't really taken the team on at all in playing style. And if he was a good coach he would have done. we are stuck with the two wingers banging on fast - when fit - and that's largely it. We bought in Cabaye as an old mate and that hasn't really worked in terms of possession football, good a player as he is. MacArthur remains/d the heart beat of the side. Even been detrimental you could argue as Cabayes dead balls are poor and his presence has hampered Puncheon's form. The style hasn't moved on. He was lucky to inherit a team with some strong characters and skilful and quick players. He was lucky in short. He gave them a psychological boost.

This year the second half of the season - albeit injuries but if people recall correctly we were stumbling long before January - he has had a negative effect psychologivally and tactically. It seems to be all or nothing. Throw bodies forward. Win or lose. Very odd tactically and weird results sequence. Tactically and selection wise he leads the squad a merry dance.

He has brought in some largely average players. Whether that is his fault is to be fair a moot point. There has been only a slight increase in possession football in periods but not much else. And these long runs of defeats. Extraordinary. I think the players have looked to him for answers tactically and he has come up short.

People talk about him turning it around. I don't think he is intellectually equipped to turn things around. Or at least take us forward. Yes we may pick up points and survive but as to him having a Eureka moment and suddenly having the keys to success/recovery, then no. He is all smoke and mirrors, all hyperbole and teeth, shallowness and bluster.

If I was a psychologist I would say he suffers from a nassisstic personality disorder. His egotism blinds him to his own flaws as a coach and tactician - plus God knows what's going on behind the scenes for form to collapse as totally as it has. He is, and will always be, a seriously flawed and divisive person - and not even talking about supposed stories from his younger days.

To conclude, Our Alan has a bit of the Wizard of Oz about him.

Looking2curl1
13-02-2016, 08:09 PM
It's down to FFP.

Well that is still negligent given we have brought in some very average dross in previous Windows that we can't get rid.

Seems like we needlessly overspent and made ourselves impotent in the last window.

doogleboy
13-02-2016, 08:10 PM

Pardew hasn't really taken the team on at all in playing style. And if he was a good coach he would have done. we are stuck with the two wingers banging on fast - when fit - and that's largely it. We bought in Cabaye as an old mate and that hasn't really worked in terms of possession football, good a player as he is. MacArthur remains/d the heart beat of the side. Even been detrimental you could argue as Cabayes dead balls are poor and his presence has hampered Puncheon's form. The style hasn't moved on. He was lucky to inherit a team with some strong characters and skilful and quick players. He was lucky in short. He gave them a psychological boost.

This year the second half of the season - albeit injuries but if people recall correctly we were stumbling long before January - he has had a negative effect psychologivally and tactically. It seems to be all or nothing. Throw bodies forward. Win or lose. Very odd tactically and weird results sequence. Tactically and selection wise he leads the squad a merry dance.

He has brought in some largely average players. Whether that is his fault is to be fair a moot point. There has been only a slight increase in possession football in periods but not much else. And these long runs of defeats. Extraordinary. I think the players have looked to him for answers tactically and he has come up short.

People talk about him turning it around. I don't think he is intellectually equipped to turn things around. Or at least take us forward. Yes we may pick up points and survive but as to him having a Eureka moment and suddenly having the keys to success/recovery, then no. He is all smoke and mirrors, all hyperbole and teeth, shallowness and bluster.

If I was a psychologist I would say he suffers from a nassisstic personality disorder. His egotism blinds him to his own flaws as a coach and tactician - plus God knows what's going on behind the scenes for form to collapse as totally as it has. He is, and will always be, a seriously flawed and divisive person - and not even talking about supposed stories from his younger days.

Excellent post

hdeagle
13-02-2016, 08:13 PM
The loss of form has purely been down to having seven players unavailable and under those circumstances the majority of teams would struggle apart from the big clubs that have like for like players able to come in and do a job.

You cannot blame Alan Pardew for Palace's injury crisis which has severely limited the team's attacking options and particularly the type of players that gained 31 points in the first half of the season.

The time to question the management is if results do not pick up once the like's of Bolasie and Sako are fit enough to influence games and are back in the team.

Now is not the time.

Trainspotter
13-02-2016, 08:18 PM

Best post in ages. Sums up the flawed arrogance of the man. Couldn't agree more

Looking2curl1
13-02-2016, 08:18 PM
The thing about Alan Pardew is that he manages on confidence. He is a strong character- he's not always that likeable because he is arrogant. When you are doing well and winning the players believe his hype and he makes the whole club feel confident and optimistic. He has genuinely positively effected performance in the first year as evidenced by the phenomenal end to last season and start to this one. The belief levels of everybody have been through the roof.

The problem is when things turn sour and his halo slips, when people don't believe in him and start to see him as arrogantly ignorant. That drains belief and I can see how his personality could lose a dressing room.

He's basically a Placebo.

Perhaps this is why he's always had long runs of either great or awful form? Either way, he has my full backing- he couldn't be more "Palace" if he tried.

Looking2curl1
13-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Hard to disagree

sl6 Eagle
13-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Why is everyone banging on about Sako being a saviour to come back into the team, he has done precisely nothing since August. Top post by Old Joe Paxton, unfortunately are Geordie 'friends' are proving to be correct in their opinion of Not so Super Al.

Zulu84
13-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Only thing I would question today was why in the hell Lee didn't start on the wing. We've seen in previous games that when we don't play with 2 wingers with pace the team is out of balance and our opposition can then mark Wilf out of the game. This is exactly what happened in the first half and while I appreciate Pardew fixing it at half time I just don't understand why we played like that to begin with. I think Pardew just really over thinks things sometimes, Leicester are the perfect example of knowing who they are and playing to that. We need to do the same and stop with basically wasting a half of football every match.

Old Joe Paxton
13-02-2016, 08:31 PM
The thing about Alan Pardew is that he manages on confidence. He is a strong character- he's not always that likeable because he is arrogant. When you are doing well and winning the players believe his hype and he makes the whole club feel confident and optimistic. He has genuinely positively effected performance in the first year as evidenced by the phenomenal end to last season and start to this one. The belief levels of everybody have been through the roof.

The problem is when things turn sour and his halo slips, when people don't believe in him and start to see him as arrogantly ignorant. That drains belief and I can see how his personality could lose a dressing room.

He's basically a Placebo.

Perhaps this is why he's always had long runs of either great or awful form? Either way, he has my full backing- he couldn't be more "Palace" if he tried.

Great post, better than mine even (joke - a paen to Our Alan!!). Only if he is a placebo what hapoens when it wears off? And patients realise they had been given coloured sweets? What then? That placebo fails to work doesn't it. And not sure if there is a next time when it works is there? So not sure about your last sentence. Ironically it is a flaw in your otherwise great post. :) :p

Zulu84
Oh and I have no doubt that Pardew can manage a football team successful in the top flight... Think he just needs to understand that he's not as smart as he thinks he is....he needs a dose of realty every once in awhile, just hope parish is providing it.

Pistol Knight

He cost us today. Poor substitution with Campbell on for
Mutch when we were on top.. Left a gaping hole in midfield and changed the swing of the game. No win in 9.. It's ******* awful. Pardew seems tactically inept. I genuinely fear we will get relegated. Seriously.

Hard to disagree, Jedi trying to play further forward was a joke, liked it when Ward was covering at left back and Soure pushed further forward with Wilf, but there was nobody inside at that point (Mutch being subbed!)

Shambolic

Old Joe Paxton
13-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Why is everyone banging on about Sako being a saviour to come back into the team, he has done precisely nothing since August. Top post by Old Joe Paxton, unfortunately are Geordie 'friends' are proving to be correct in their opinion of Not so Super Al.

Afraid so. And I didn't think i am a fickle fan, nor afraid to disagree with most of our sentiments from Our Friends in The North. So not ashamed to feel the way I do. Not suddenly 'turned'. It's been a long educational and disillusioned journey.

And thanks too.

RAB
13-02-2016, 08:38 PM
By the time we are due to play Norwich at SP we will have played 6 league games with 6 left to play. If the current form has not drastically improved by then, another home loss against Norwich will almost certainly provide the ultimate answer from The Board to the OP.

palacenil
13-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Our home for under Pardew has been shocking since he took over, it's just our away form masked it. Now the away form's dried up, it's being shown up.
<-THIS.
Most struggling teams keep up because of decent home form, scraping enough points at home, especially against relegation rivals.
We lost more than half of our home games last season, lost 10, won only 6.
Lost more home games than any other team, including those relegated.
This season is looking no better, won only 4, lost 8 games at home, no other team have lost more than 6 at home including Villa.
Shocking home form. We just ain't able to play open football where we are expected to chase the game and make things happen, but we have all believed all the hype and suddenly think we are a top half team and can out play teams now.

stumpy feelers
13-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Smell the coffee, we're in a relegation battle. We've had numerous chances to pull clear. I cannot see another win tbh.

scro
13-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Depends what you mean, I think it's ok to question the manager now. Within reason of course not question his position. I think the moment you question his position this season is if he takes us down. If that were to happen then You consider if he is the best to take you back up. If we crawl over the line and starts the first ten games of next season poorly then he would need to start feeling the pressure.

Looking2curl1
13-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Great post, better than mine even (joke - a paen to Our Alan!!). Only if he is a placebo what hapoens when it wears off? And patients realise they had been given coloured sweets? What then? That placebo fails to work doesn't it. And not sure if there is a next time when it works is there? So not sure about your last sentence. Ironically it is a flaw in your otherwise great post. :) :p

Ask Iain Dowie what happens when the placebo wears off :(

Eagle Kneevil
13-02-2016, 09:31 PM
I'll take 31 points by Christmas every season. Highs and lows happen. I'd be more worried if we were getting turned over every week.

swissroll
13-02-2016, 09:32 PM
This year the second half of the season - albeit injuries but if people recall correctly we were stumbling long before January - he has had a negative effect psychologivally and tactically. It seems to be all or nothing. Throw bodies forward. Win or lose. Very odd tactically and weird results sequence. Tactically and selection wise he leads the squad a merry dance

I said on another thread that this has a touch of the Holloway at Blackpool, risk everything, change it up, go for the 3 points - that got Blackpool relegated from a good position cos Holloway wasn't able to be pragmatic and set the team to grind out a result now and then, always tinkering, didn't know when to just play out the match.

JackTheBiscuit
13-02-2016, 09:35 PM

Absolutely spot on. He needs a top coach or two to support him but his ego will never allow it hence we end up with the likes of Salako. The first half today was devoid of any strategy or planning. Remindec me of a bad Wimbledon.

aj4england
13-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Beginning to question the whole thing now. I am so bitterly upset at how the season has collapsed like this. No, cancel that. I am devastated with it.

Who to blame? Pardew? Lack of spending in January? Much needed reinforcements in crucial positions ignored for months. Making bastard documentaries not needed at a time like this. Too media friendly chairman, talking a great game and looking the part, but ultimately one who needs to shut his mouth and let his actions do the talking. Salako? Palace legend, but a first team coach??

If we do get relegated, serious questions need to be asked about the judgement calls made this season, particularly in terms of squad investment.

So pissed off with how it appears to be turning out. Want to see Speroni back in goal, too.

Add to that Andy Woodman as goal keeping coach !

JDawg
13-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Do we have enough to get us over the line this season? Yes, just. Although unsatisfactory that is good enough.

Where the rubber hits the road is the summer. If we are to push on it's obvious that the squad needs a deep overhaul. It lacks depth, we have to hang onto the stars and deal with FFP issues.

Is he the guy to oversee this? Given what we are seeing I'm just not sure. But then everybody needs to up their game for the summer - SP included.

Thefunkymonk
13-02-2016, 09:43 PM
So the Geordies were right....

PalaceSi
13-02-2016, 09:46 PM
The problem in going toe to toe with teams is that you are vulnerable at the back. Pardew likes to attack, he's the complete opposite of Pulis but the problem is when you can't score or you lose your cutting edge down to form, suspension or injury as we have done by losing a few players the plan B is not there.

We now need to grind out results, we're too much of a soft touch and all the poor teams have come to Selhurst and can see we're vulnerable.
The good news is that we do have 32 points, so we just need a bit of luck to fall our way in a couple of games.

We do though have to make our own luck by defending diligently, by not giving away stupid free kicks around the box and needless penalties like today.
We need our left back to not spend the game needlessly overlapping and getting marooned upfield when our wingers could do with all the service they can get.

The worst thing about the last nine games is that it really was our easiest run of games, Swansea twice, Bournemouth twice, Villa and Watford were all games we would have fancied the points so we are now going to have to get the points from harder games.

I still think we have a good side with everyone there but we need to defend first and nick something on the break rather than go toe to toe.
I like the look of Adebayor, he's defintely a cut above our other striking options but there's too much expectation on Yannick, he's going to take time to get up to speed and who knows what other injuries and suspensions are round the corner.

Its just the Palace way and we're in for a nailbiting end to the season as ever. Thet's hope our pre-christmas form was enough because the post christmas form is certainly worthy of the drop no doubt. I do think it will be, we just need our luck to change.

Ash
13-02-2016, 09:52 PM
I don't understand our tactics the last couple of games but I back Pards to turn this around.

CharlieCPFC
13-02-2016, 09:53 PM
The problem in going to to toe with teams is that you are vulnerable at the back. Pardew likes to attack, he's the complete opposite of Pulis but the problem is when you can't score or you lose your cutting edge down to form, suspension or injury as we have done by losing a few players the plan B is not there.

We now need to grind out results, we're too much of a soft touch and all the poor teams have come to Selhurst and can see we're vulnerable.
The good news is that we do have 32 points, so we just need a bit of luck to fall our way in a couple of games.

We do though have to make our own luck by defending diligently, by not giving away stupid free kicks around the box and needless penalties like today.
We need our left back to not spend the game needlessly overlapping and getting marooned upfield when our wingers could do with all the service they can get.

The worst thing about the last nine games is that it really was our easiest run of games, Swansea twice, Bournemouth twice, Villa and Watford were all games we would have fancied the points so we are now going to have to get the points from harder games.

I still think we have a good side with everyone there but we need to defend first and nick something on the break rather than go toe to toe.
I like the look of Adebayor, he's defintely a cut above our other striking options but there's too much expectation on Yannick, he's going to take time to get up to speed and who knows what other injuries and suspensions are round the corner.

Its just the Palace way and we're in for a nailbiting end to the season as ever. Thet's hope our pre-christmas form was enough because the post christmas form is certainly worthy of the drop no doubt. I do think it will be, we just need our luck to change.

Never mind the toes, we look absolutely toothless going forwards at the minute. We can't defend or attack at the minute.

Robson
13-02-2016, 09:55 PM
I'll take 31 points by Christmas every season. Highs and lows happen. I'd be more worried if we were getting turned over every week.

WE ARE

PIE "N" MASH
13-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Unimpressed of Basildon:veryangry:veryangry

JannerEagle
13-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Angry of Andover

Tim
13-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Do we have enough to get us over the line this season? Yes, just. Although unsatisfactory that is good enough.

Where the rubber hits the road is the summer. If we are to push on it's obvious that the squad needs a deep overhaul. It lacks depth, we have to hang onto the stars and deal with FFP issues.

Is he the guy to oversee this? Given what we are seeing I'm just not sure. But then everybody needs to up their game for the summer - SP included.

Don't begin to kid yourself for one second that we have done enough to stay up. We need a plan B & prepare for the worst!

I hope it doesn't but there's a very realistic chance we will go down if we can't stop this alarming slide down the table & quickly. Today was huge & we lost again! It's not happening & games are running out!

rhiannapaul
13-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Can't understand how during the week they are not prepared for the oppo it's the most clueless first half this season. Can only be Pardews fault .and how can players like puncheon get away with what he has been doing all season ?

Danny boy
13-02-2016, 10:12 PM
If we can't beat the likes of Watford and Bournemouth at home we probably will go down.

It doesn't look likely we could go to a tough place and grind out results with how poor we defend

Thefunkymonk
13-02-2016, 10:13 PM
If we can't beat the likes of Watford and Bournemouth at home we probably will go down.

It doesn't look likely we could go to a tough place and grind out results with how poor we defend

Difficult to argue

mrgins
13-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Having bolasie and wilf on the wings with ade up front will make a difference. Maybe a 442 with gayle would be a good combo. Next year for sure we need to bring in some new players

dim
13-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Any side with no proper striker will struggle.....

Ade looked good today, with Pard's big striker on the left wing - as he was at Sunderland....

cpfcfan1
13-02-2016, 10:21 PM
All about your expectations really, did Chelsea expect a shit season? Did Leicester expect to be top? The answers no. I expected palace to finish midtable and at the moment we are, people let us being 6th go to their head, Europe? Get real and who wants it anyway? Our squad isn't big or good enough to cope. Yeh we are on a bad run but bad runs end.

Look at the big picture and it isn't that bad

sl6 Eagle
13-02-2016, 10:25 PM
We had 2 crap goalless draws over the Xmas period against two sides battling relegation, the next game we got spanked by Chelsea that performance to me was very reminiscent to when we first came up 3 years ago under Holloway. Out of our depth and resigned to a defeat.

What has happened since has been appalling in all departments on and off the pitch, the farce of a transfer window and lack of goals for an eternity whilst doing some crap yank documentary. We have progressed from a Holloway team against Chelsea to a run of Warnock like performances but with little fight and passion. I really do fear for us right now and find it hard to believe some of us including me have relegation concerns after we were sitting 5th at the turn of the year.

Confidence appears to be shot to pieces and Pardew seems clueless in how to stop the rot. Right now it's difficult to see where a win will come from, scary times and a huge wasted opportunity for the club to finally establish its self amongst England's elite clubs.

Typical ****** Palace.

orp pisshead1
13-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Absolutely spot on. He needs a top coach or two to support him but his ego will never allow it hence we end up with the likes of Salako. The first half today was devoid of any strategy or planning. Remindec me of a bad Wimbledon.

We said very Warnock style.

Matadam
13-02-2016, 10:29 PM
I must point out that we were without Bolasie last January and we did ok

Lydder
13-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Where we were and where we are isn't a real issue ATM but what is really worrying is this run of form, which I can only liken to Holloways at the start of 13/14

Robson
13-02-2016, 10:31 PM
A week on the training ground and what did Pardew come up with? Play Wickham out of position on the wing and have Hennessey target him for knock-downs into the path of......someone.

Pardew's a joker. The same tactics from Warnock and he would have been -,rightly - pilloried on here. The guy's been well and truly found out I'm afraid.

elwood
13-02-2016, 10:40 PM
All about your expectations really, did Chelsea expect a shit season? Did Leicester expect to be top? The answers no. I expected palace to finish midtable and at the moment we are, people let us being 6th go to their head, Europe? Get real and who wants it anyway? Our squad isn't big or good enough to cope. Yeh we are on a bad run but bad runs end.

This

Robson
13-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Sorry, this is the same garbage as has been said on here for weeks. It's burying your head in the sand. There is little sign at the moment that this run will end, that's why there's the worry.

Lydder
13-02-2016, 10:45 PM

If we were mid table having picked up points here and there, win some lose some etc, I'd agree with your sentiments but that isn't the reality. The reality is a run of form that is diabolical and that could have disastrous consequences.

Great Lombardi
13-02-2016, 11:26 PM

It's this sort of complacency that will get us relegated.

At the moment we are a poor football team and will be in big trouble unless something changes drastically very soon.

What would you suggest will end this poor run?

sl6 Eagle
13-02-2016, 11:48 PM

But we are getting turned over every week by poor teams hence the thread!!

racehorse-80s
13-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Pardew is not a long-term manager for Palace and it might be better to sack him now rather than hang on to the grim end but hey what do I know about running a football club ? I am just a fan .

TouchyAndalou
14-02-2016, 12:05 AM
There's no way that Pardew is getting sacked. I know that SP has a history, but I'm pretty sure that we'd go all the way down with Pardew. He's Parish's man, the one he wanted after Holloway. And I think Parish would back him to take us back up, at least for the first season.

I do think if we're going to genuinely push on in this league, we're eventually going to need a more tactically astute manager however. Pardew's a good man manager by all accounts, but his tactical nous is still in question IMO.

Yendor1
14-02-2016, 12:12 AM
We're going down. No obvious tactics and, more worryingly team spirit, the way everyone's head dropped after the penalty award said a lot: this team is not equipped for the relegation battle we're in

Oli28
14-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Difficult to argue
It's easy to argue. Last season we lost at home to Sunderland, west brom, villa and hull and we finished 10th.

racehorse-80s
14-02-2016, 12:16 AM
There's no way that Pardew is getting sacked. I know that SP has a history, but I'm pretty sure that we'd go all the way down with Pardew. He's Parish's man, the one he wanted after Holloway. And I think Parish would back him to take us back up, at least for the first season.

I do think if we're going to genuinely push on in this league, we're eventually going to need a more tactically astute manager however. Pardew's a good man manager by all accounts, but his tactical nous is still in question IMO.

I believe we will be shite to the end of the season and whether we go down will be decided on the bottom 3 teams form rather than our current managers ability .

danpalace07
14-02-2016, 12:17 AM
It's easy to argue. Last season we lost at home to Sunderland, west brom, villa and hull and we finished 10th.

We had momentum from when he came in and we had a surprise result or two against big teams in us

PalaceRichard
14-02-2016, 12:20 AM
The confidence of the players is shot to pieces, which you can see in the performance levels. It's Pardew's job to have addressed this by now, and maybe sometimes set the team up for grafting draw instead of what seems to be all or nothing. Individual players are getting a slating, but all are making errors and playing below par.

We have been decimated by injuries and suffered some refereeing "inconsistencies", but i find it strange that we have not gone back to first principles of being hard to beat and to take it from there. There have been some incomprehensible subs and team setups, for example we know from his time at Sunderland that Wickham is not going to be particularly effective out wide.

He seems to be a streaky manager, and it's time to solidify and try to get some draws and the odd counter attacking win until we are safe. We are not good at forcing the pace in games, and I would like to see us dig in like Bournemouth and Watford and battle it out.

Oli28
14-02-2016, 12:24 AM
We had momentum from when he came in and we had a surprise result or two against big teams in us
What's to say we won't pick up a bit of momentum when Yannick comes back and we have him and Zaha teeing up a fully fit Adebayor?

Someone said on this thread that if you lose to Bournemouth and Watford at home then you'll probably go down. I'm saying that that's bollocks. We're on a bad run but a win will change everything, and it will come soon.

racehorse-80s
14-02-2016, 12:27 AM
What's to say we won't pick up a bit of momentum when Yannick comes back and we have him and Zaha teeing up a fully fit Adebayor?

Someone said on this thread that if you lose to Bournemouth and Watford at home then you'll probably go down. I'm saying that that's bollocks. We're on a bad run but a win will change everything, and it will come soon.

You are probably correct but it won't mean we will survive next season .

dim
14-02-2016, 12:28 AM
If we hadn't got the point against Swansea, I think he would have gone today tbh. 7 in a row it would have been.

bigGcpfc
14-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Pardew is starting to look like the smug **** we we're warned against, but what do i care ? i had 20 at 100-1 for us to be relegated back in November .

TouchyAndalou
14-02-2016, 12:37 AM
So the Geordies were right....We don't talk about that.

bigGcpfc
14-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Dream on sunshine , don't forget we lost to Villa as well.

TouchyAndalou
14-02-2016, 12:41 AM
If we hadn't got the point against Swansea, I think he would have gone today tbh. 7 in a row it would have been.
No chance.

Thefunkymonk
14-02-2016, 12:45 AM

Did we not win in 9?

Last season we lost the odd random game but picked up points against bigher better sides.. Such as city and Spurs at home.. Not this year

bigGcpfc
14-02-2016, 12:47 AM
You mate are part of the problem we have, we are the worst side in this division right now and you still think we don't have a problem, get real.

maestro
14-02-2016, 01:10 AM
The confidence of the players is shot to pieces, which you can see in the performance levels. It's Pardew's job to have addressed this by now, and maybe sometimes set the team up for grafting draw instead of what seems to be all or nothing. Individual players are getting a slating, but all are making errors and playing below par.

We have been decimated by injuries and suffered some refereeing "inconsistencies", but i find it strange that we have not gone back to first principles of being hard to beat and to take it from there. There have been some incomprehensible subs and team setups, for example we know from his time at Sunderland that Wickham is not going to be particularly effective out wide.

He seems to be a streaky manager, and it's time to solidify and try to get some draws and the odd counter attacking win until we are safe. We are not good at forcing the pace in games, and I would like to see us dig in like Bournemouth and Watford and battle it out.

I think that is a really good post and I fully agree with it, shitty defending has cost us more points at home than poor attacking play imo we needed a couple of dreadful 0-0s like last season to stop the rot.

I thinking bringing on Campbell today instead of Chamakh or Boateng was an awful error of judgement, I could understand bringing on a 2nd forward more it was Gayle or someone half decent.

I get the impression with Pardew he always wants to be the hero, the tactical genius, he can't leave us in a bog standard 451 he always wants to tinker, too many games now he sets us up wrongly and puts us on the back foot, yes he changes it but next week he will do something else weird.

The weird formation away at villa with no forward was probably the worst but there have been so many others.

Thefunkymonk
14-02-2016, 01:13 AM
I think a loss to WBA and he will be under real pressure. That is now a MUST win.

maestro
14-02-2016, 01:16 AM
I think a loss to WBA and he will be under real pressure. That is now a MUST win.

Nah I don't see it

I think we need to get way from this must win mentality and just start grinding out points

5 points from the next 5 games would virtually see us safe

Bones14
14-02-2016, 01:22 AM
Nah I don't see it

I think we need to get way from this must win mentality and just start grinding out points

Yep, that is the key.

Thefunkymonk
14-02-2016, 01:22 AM
Nah I don't see it

5 points? No chance.. We'll need to get to st least 42 points this year to be safe. Bottom clubs are all picking up points here and there.. We aren't. Only 8 points above bottom 3 now.. Not great at all. Another loss to a side such as WBA and we are right down in it. It's a must win

maestro
14-02-2016, 01:30 AM
5 points? No chance.. We'll need to get to st least 42 points this year to be safe. Bottom clubs are all picking up points here and there.. We aren't. Only 8 points above bottom 3 now.. Not great at all. Another loss to a side such as WBA and we are right down in it. It's a must win

Norwich have conceded 17 goals in the last 6 games, Newcastle have conceded 5 today.

When we have yala, wilf and adebayor playing we will be a real handful, I'm usually a worrier but I think we will just about be ok

Thefunkymonk
14-02-2016, 01:33 AM
Norwich have conceded 17 goals in the last 6 games, Newcastle have conceded 5 today.

When we have yala, wilf and adebayor playing we will be a real handful, I'm usually a worrier but I think we will just about be ok

Hope you are right. But our remaining fixtures aren't great

Les Butler
14-02-2016, 01:45 AM
Christ were morphing into Newcastle fans we have had injuries and disciplinary problems with losing a bit of confidence but for some very good saves and hitting the post today's result could have been so very different......An who the feck could we actually get better than who we have as a manager ?

I think we have the best .

The Omen
14-02-2016, 01:45 AM
I think Pardew brought on Campbell because he is also starting to panic that we may not get to 40 points. We needed to win and he went for it... And it backfired.

I actually think he is losing faith in the team and that isn't good.

The Omen
14-02-2016, 01:47 AM
Also, how will people feel if Brighton take our place in the Premier League??

Robson
14-02-2016, 01:52 AM
I think Pardew brought on Campbell because he is also starting to panic that we may not get to 40 points. We needed to win and he went for it... And it backfired.

Going for the win at Palace means bringing on Frazier Campbell does it? Says everything you need to know about the transfer window we just had. Catastrophic.

As for the faith, the players played in the first half like they'd lost faith in him, let alone the other way round.

TouchyAndalou
14-02-2016, 01:53 AM
5 points? No chance.. We'll need to get to st least 42 points this year to be safe. Bottom clubs are all picking up points here and there.. We aren't. Only 8 points above bottom 3 now.. Not great at all. Another loss to a side such as WBA and we are right down in it. It's a must win Nah, dangerous approach and part of why we're in the mess we're in. We treated today basically as a must win and got exposed by a more thoughtful and composed side. We need to be smart given the positon we're in. Go into games with the mindset of not losing until we've started to pick up some points again. You can still win games by being tough to beat and a little less full tilt attack at all times. We're going to play teams like Sunderland and Newcastle who are desperate for a win because a draw won't do them much good, and we can use that to our advantage. A draw against a team lower than us is a good point for us but a bad point for them. Of course if we can win the game, great. But today, away to Villa and home against Sunderland are all examples of where our tactical naivety and predictability cost us.

TouchyAndalou
14-02-2016, 01:54 AM
An who the feck could we actually get better than who we have as a manager ? Ray Wilkins.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
14-02-2016, 02:04 AM

Presumably he thought he wanted as many people in the box as possible - it was a very poor decision IMHO and I agree it showed a lack of faith in us to win the game despite the fact we were so much on top at the time.

Awful move

The Omen
14-02-2016, 02:16 AM
I've been saying to mates at work for a few weeks now that this is starting to feel like a proper Palace Premier League season... Unlike the dream like ones we've had in recent years

Les Butler
14-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Ray Wilkins.

What with Iain Dowie as his number two both are good TV pundits what they done lately in management ?

At the moment we have the best that we will ever get shit no one else wants to touch us except for has beens that have been out of work for a very long time...Again thinking about where we have come from and where we are at now feck some of you have very short memories.

red&blue_moomin
14-02-2016, 05:12 AM
Pardew is not a long-term manager for Palace and it might be better to sack him now rather than hang on to the grim end but hey what do I know about running a football club ? I am just a fan .

Nothing clearly even with the crap run pardew has a 50%ish win ratio for us.

Also against Watford we had five shots on target out of 15 a five fold improvement. yala and sako being back combined with wilf and ade and we should have enough. Some of the football second half looked like the good stuff from the first half of the season.

The Bournemouth game was total pants up until ade and cham came on. This match was actually a lot better

Garfy
14-02-2016, 06:12 AM
Nah, dangerous approach and part of why we're in the mess we're in. We treated today basically as a must win and got exposed by a more thoughtful and composed side. We need to be smart given the positon we're in. Go into games with the mindset of not losing until we've started to pick up some points again. You can still win games by being tough to beat and a little less full tilt attack at all times. We're going to play teams like Sunderland and Newcastle who are desperate for a win because a draw won't do them much good, and we can use that to our advantage. A draw against a team lower than us is a good point for us but a bad point for them. Of course if we can win the game, great. But today, away to Villa and home against Sunderland are all examples of where our tactical naivety and predictability cost us.

Exactly. Draws against Bournemouth & Watford would not have beens a disaster. Pardew's management over the last 2 months has been naive.

cpfcfan1
14-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Yeh let's all throw in the towel now and get ready to play Ipswich and Blackburn

Pathetic

Penstone Eagle
14-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Exactly. Draws against Bournemouth & Watford would not have beens a disaster. Pardew's management over the last 2 months has been naive.

No no no. it's all the refs fault :p

Windsor_Eagle
14-02-2016, 08:42 AM
In answer to the OP, there is no problem at all questioning the manager. Those questions can come any time (in the middle of a good run or in the middle of a diabolical one). Questioning the manager is not the same thing as making him a target for your ire and laying all the ills at his door. Understandable frustration at the unraveling of our season does need to make way for more rational thought otherwise the club can never hope to take root at this level and 'kick on'.

What we need to remember is that whilst the buck stops with the manager, the game needs to get out of this '8 game' mentality that sees a manager lauded as the second coming when a purple patch is hit, and then in need of sacking if that number of games goes tits up. The only time that a managers position becomes untenable is if he were to lose the dressing room and there is little evidence of that here.

The manager is not just the bloke who tries to win us 3 points on a Saturday, he is also the guy charged with having longer term visions of the senior squad, who has eyes on the academy development and ways in which he feels the infrastructure can be improved etc. You keep getting a new manager in each time you hit the buffers and you restart this whole process.

It is true to say that Pards is a confidence manager but confidence and momentum are so vital. When your confidence is fragile a penalty decision like the one that went against us, hitting the post or the keeper pulling off a 'worldie' when you are in top in a game places doubt in the mind and then players start getting twitchy and making mistakes. It is absolutely Pardews job to work the team through this and what he and the players need is unwavering backing.

There are some real questions to be asked of the team and they'll need answering in the summer when I suspect a few players will be moved on. For now, we forget that we've dropped 6 league places. We just target another 8 or so points and fight tooth and ******* nail for every single one of them.

Golf Boy
14-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Christ were morphing into Newcastle fans we have had injuries and disciplinary problems with losing a bit of confidence but for some very good saves and hitting the post today's result could have been so very different......An who the feck could we actually get better than who we have as a manager ?

The irony of us complaining about lower mid table is not lost on them. Delusions of grandeur.

cantspell
14-02-2016, 08:49 AM
A week on the training ground and what did Pardew come up with? Play Wickham out of position on the wing and have Hennessey target him for knock-downs into the path of......someone.

Pardew's a joker. The same tactics from Warnock and he would have been -,rightly - pilloried on here. The guy's been well and truly found out I'm afraid.

Pardnock?

Crozzy71
14-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I've said it on here before, but on the train to last seasons home game against Newcastle I got talking to some Toon fans.

In short:

- Pardew will start well
- he'll say all the right things
- gradually you'll start playing deep cross field balls (Damo's speciality)
- every free kick goes deep
- no tactical plan B

Sound familiar ?

I'm not saying he should go. My concern is the overall infrastructure still isn't right. Scouting (does it exist ?), coaching (let our Uefa A qualified coach go, bring in all your old unqualified mates) and budgets (sign Cabaye and take us right up to the FFP cap so we the can't sign the right type of additional quality).

We need those couple more wins to stay safe.

Aaroncpfc
14-02-2016, 08:50 AM
He's trying new things, and the substitute at half time did improve our performance. My worry is without an explosive Yannick running at people there's nobody to inspire others to play to their full potential. Well, there's Wilf, but he's not enough on his own no more.

I'm not concerned. I don't see where our next win is going to come from but our counter attacking style does tend to work better against the better teams. I can see Adebayor (whose work rate I was impressed with) will have a little purple patch from somewhere and that will be enough to get us over the line.

It would be very naive from our owners to think that this current side is going to be good enough to press on next season though. When confident and at there best we could be a top eight club, but when confidence isn't going our way we look like the worst team in the league.

Windsor_Eagle
14-02-2016, 08:57 AM
I've said it on here before, but on the train to last seasons home game against Newcastle I got talking to some Toon fans.

In short:

- Pardew will start well
- he'll say all the right things
- gradually you'll start playing deep cross field balls (Damo's speciality)
- every free kick goes deep
- no tactical plan B

Sound familiar ?

I'm not saying he should go. My concern is the overall infrastructure still isn't right. Scouting (does it exist ?), coaching (let our Uefa A qualified coach go, bring in all your old unqualified mates) and budgets (sign Cabaye and take us right up to the FFP cap so we the can't sign the right type of additional quality).

We need those couple more wins to stay safe.

The thing is, there is no logic to the manager changing MO like this. What it tells me is that he typifies management at this level in that at some point the team will hit a poor run, and when they do, the confidence based football that he instills (putting it at risk) stops getting the results needed and the players go into a bit of a shell and the percentage football follows that isn't compatible with the way the training or tactical set up is on the pitch. Now, it is right to ask questions if how he can get us out of this but managers are not given the time (usually) to turn it around because they're sacked or hounded out of the club.

My belief is that Pards is experienced enough and has enough experience in the squad to get the job done even if it will be a massive disappointment from where we were. We will get nowhere by re-rolling the dice again. Some persistence and loyalty to a true Palace manager is what I think we need.

Danny boy
14-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Nah, dangerous approach and part of why we're in the mess we're in. We treated today basically as a must win and got exposed by a more thoughtful and composed side. We need to be smart given the positon we're in. Go into games with the mindset of not losing until we've started to pick up some points again. You can still win games by being tough to beat and a little less full tilt attack at all times. We're going to play teams like Sunderland and Newcastle who are desperate for a win because a draw won't do them much good, and we can use that to our advantage. A draw against a team lower than us is a good point for us but a bad point for them. Of course if we can win the game, great. But today, away to Villa and home against Sunderland are all examples of where our tactical naivety and predictability cost us.

Spot on Pardew should be have more defensive as soon as the likes of Bolasie, Sako etc got injured but instead he thinks we should be playing open attacking football with the likes of Campbell and Mutch playing for us...

Penstone Eagle
14-02-2016, 09:04 AM
This thread should be renamed 'how many losses does it take before the manager admits his errors'

Old Joe Paxton
14-02-2016, 09:21 AM
I think as I pointed out in my long-winded post on another thread Our Alan's character is very much based on the self. Not only does it make it hard for him to admit anything publicly - and why should one could argue as he is the boss - but more importantly as an egotist it blinds him to actually admitting to himself he has deficiencies. So hence will fail to learn and make adjustments. And no doubt this intellectual impairment contributes to these cycles where motivation and man management do not make up for the deficiencies in strategies and tactics.

Timbo
14-02-2016, 09:23 AM

Good post Touchy, I agree. A change of approach from Pardew is required and I just hope he has the courage/humility to try it

Timbo
14-02-2016, 09:28 AM
There is little sign at the moment that this run will end, that's why there's the worry.

The bad run will inevitably end, but I wonder what division we will be in at that time

hdeagle
14-02-2016, 09:29 AM
If Palace were in a real relegation battle then I could understand the panic but they have a nine point cushion when you take goal difference into account over a Newcastle team that has conceded 84 goals since Alan Pardew left and this season has managed so far to score just 7 away goals all season with is the worst record in all four divisions.

Norwich have picked up just 1 point out of their last 18 and Aston Villa are 15 points behind Palace in the table.

Looking at how few points these teams are picking up on a regular basis it would take a monumental turn around in their form for them to overtake a Palace side that should be stronger once the lack of threat on the other wing is resolved by the return of Bolasie, Sako and to a lesser extent Gayle.

This could be as soon as their next league game at West Brom.

Based on the form of those teams in the relegation places talk of Palace needing 42 points to stay up is utter rubbish and it may that under 40 points will be enough to stay up.

Instead of all this talk about relegation why don't all Palace fans think positively and show the same unity that was so apparent during Palace's administration period which is now in the distant past.

I cannot believe that some of Palace's fanbase are criticising the management and owners when you look at how much progress has been made in the past 5 years.

EagleSE24
14-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Too often we get it wrong at the start of the game and have to rely on in game management to turn it around. At the start of his reign, it seemed Pardew's tactical changes were spot on. Now they seem increasingly desperate and even arbitrary. I think we need to play to the strengths of the available players rather than expecting them to just step in and do the job of the injured players.

zonin2000
14-02-2016, 09:38 AM

They... have got their wallets out, haven't they?

Jon_C-Pal
14-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Our biggest problem really is going to come with relagation. If we go down we can say goodbye to Cabaye, Adebayor, Bolasie, Mcarthur, Dann and possibly Wilf. Take them out he team and I'd say we don't even have a team that could compete in the championship. Our squad is so weak it's quite unbelievable, specially after 3 years in the premier league. I'd say there's teams who have had one season in this league have better quality in depth than us. Only one person to blame with that tbh.

CharlieCPFC
14-02-2016, 09:42 AM
In answer to the OP, there is no problem at all questioning the manager. Those questions can come any time (in the middle of a good run or in the middle of a diabolical one). Questioning the manager is not the same thing as making him a target for your ire and laying all the ills at his door. Understandable frustration at the unraveling of our season does need to make way for more rational thought otherwise the club can never hope to take root at this level and 'kick on'.

What we need to remember is that whilst the buck stops with the manager, the game needs to get out of this '8 game' mentality that sees a manager lauded as the second coming when a purple patch is hit, and then in need of sacking if that number of games goes tits up. The only time that a managers position becomes untenable is if he were to lose the dressing room and there is little evidence of that here.

The manager is not just the bloke who tries to win us 3 points on a Saturday, he is also the guy charged with having longer term visions of the senior squad, who has eyes on the academy development and ways in which he feels the infrastructure can be improved etc. You keep getting a new manager in each time you hit the buffers and you restart this whole process.

It is true to say that Pards is a confidence manager but confidence and momentum are so vital. When your confidence is fragile a penalty decision like the one that went against us, hitting the post or the keeper pulling off a 'worldie' when you are in top in a game places doubt in the mind and then players start getting twitchy and making mistakes. It is absolutely Pardews job to work the team through this and what he and the players need is unwavering backing.

There are some real questions to be asked of the team and they'll need answering in the summer when I suspect a few players will be moved on. For now, we forget that we've dropped 6 league places. We just target another 8 or so points and fight tooth and ******* nail for every single one of them.

Great post, must spread rep etc.

Windsor_Eagle
14-02-2016, 09:53 AM
I think as I pointed out in my long-winded post on another thread Our Alan's character is very much based on the self. Not only does it make it hard for him to admit anything publicly - and why should one could argue as he is the boss - but more importantly as an egotist it blinds him to actually admitting to himself he has deficiencies. So hence will fail to learn and make adjustments. And no doubt this intellectual impairment contributes to these cycles where motivation and man management do not make up for the deficiencies in strategies and tactics.

I'm not too sure where this idea that Pardew can't admit mistakes is coming from. :confused: he's often said he got it wrong with certain decisions (he was very candid about yesterday's first half display for example). Yes there is an arrogance there and I can see that when we're doing well that fans will lap it up and when it is not good it'll be a stick that people beat him with, but he has done well enough at managing at PL level to not be levelled as a clueless manager.

Windsor_Eagle
14-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Too often we get it wrong at the start of the game and have to rely on in game management to turn it around. At the start of his reign, it seemed Pardew's tactical changes were spot on. Now they seem increasingly desperate and even arbitrary. I think we need to play to the strengths of the available players rather than expecting them to just step in and do the job of the injured players.

Except that the half time change did work. Wickham going off for CYL made us much better. The error was replacing Mutch with Campbell, it should have been a Boateng for Jedi sub.

Billy Rhino
14-02-2016, 10:12 AM
I think the problem with the situation at the moment is this is exactly what the Geordies have warned us about, i.e. Pardew doesn't seem to have a plan B when things start going wrong. You also have to question his transfer activity so far as the only real success has been Cabaye, and to a lesser extent Souare. All the other signings still have question marks over them, including Lee who does look a tidy player but has no penetration as a winger.

Saying that I'm still 100% behind Pardew and haven't forgot that we would probably be playing Championship football now if he hadn't joined us last January.

sl6 Eagle
14-02-2016, 10:15 AM
No win in the next 3 league games and I think he has to go, they are all winnable. Tough run after that and we could be right in the mire by then. A win against WBA and things look a lot different!!

PalaceRichard
14-02-2016, 11:59 AM

I certainly don't think most if not all on this thread are calling for the manager's head.

We need to grind out a few positive results, starting with accepting draws are good results in the position we are in, then going on from there. I don't think it's in Pardew's nature (or at least first instinct) not to go for the win, but a point here and there against the so called "lesser" teams are what we need.

Sitting 13th on 32 points in the context of a whole season is a good position for us and nobody would complain about that if we didn't know what had gone before, but 3 points in 9 games puts us well bottom of the form league and we just lost to the team second bottom in that form league. Let's grind out a couple of results and stop the downward momentum.

AJ
14-02-2016, 12:02 PM
He needs to go soon if results don't improve. Hull stood by Bruce and went down. Doesn't matter what I think of AP, because if we go down, I doubt we will come back and be able to stay.

New LP
14-02-2016, 12:05 PM
I cannot believe that some of Palace's fanbase are criticising the management and owners when you look at how much progress has been made in the past 5 years.

I hate this argument.

Is it not possible to acknowledge the strides the club has mad in 5 years but also have a view on current form?

jobiinthelastmi
14-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Can't even get Warnock back this time :D

New LP
14-02-2016, 12:18 PM

I think both have to take some blame.

I think we've been complacent, we thought we had survival in the bag.

redemptionday
14-02-2016, 12:23 PM

This is basically identical to that run he had in 2013/14 at Newcastle, isn't it? Decent first half, absurd losing streak in the second and having no idea how to change it/trying odd formations/players not looking motivated.

Worrying, and I don't know what causes it.

scro
14-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Pardew remains about as good a manager as we are likely to get. Unfortunately there are a crop of managers at similar sized clubs that are better than him at the moment. Ranieri, Flores, Hughes, Bilic, Koeman and Howe are all probably superior. Hopefully the ones that are inferior sherwood, mclaren, Neil will have done enough to ensure we finish above them this season.

For what it's worth I would put pardew in with pulis and allardyce.

TouchyAndalou
14-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Can't even get Warnock back this time :D We'll just have to stick with Parnock then ;)

CharlieCPFC
14-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Pardew remains about as good a manager as we are likely to get. Unfortunately there are a crop of managers at similar sized clubs that are better than him at the moment. Ranieri, Flores, Hughes, Bilic, Koeman and Howe are all probably superior. Hopefully the ones that are inferior sherwood, mclaren, Neil will have done enough time sore we finish above them this season.

Allardyce has achieved far more than what Mark Hughes has. If you gave me a choice of Pardew over Hughes and Howe I'd take Pardew all day long.

9 games does not define a manager.

TouchyAndalou
14-02-2016, 12:37 PM
For what it's worth I would put pardew in with pulis and allardyce.The highs with Pardew are probably higher than with Pulis, but the lows are also lower. Pulis' football is dogshit, but he has enough tactical nous to pull out a result when needed. Like against Everton yesterday, I'm sure it was like pouring acid into your eyes to watch, but they did a job and got 3 points against an in-form team. Pards seems incapable or at least unwilling to alter his approach.

DARZET EAGLE
14-02-2016, 12:43 PM
The highs with Pardew are probably higher than with Pulis, but the lows are also lower. Pulis' football is dogshit, but he has enough tactical nous to pull out a result when needed. Like against Everton yesterday, I'm sure it was like pouring acid into your eyes to watch, but they did a job and got 3 points against an in-form team. Pards seems incapable or at least unwilling to alter his approach.

He does like a tinker though.:confused:

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-02-2016, 12:46 PM
We have a manager capable of winning at least enough games to stay in the PL. This is a good thing.

Bad runs of losses in the PL are commonplace, from the likes of relegation bottom feeders all the way up to the Chelseas and Manchester Uniteds.

Once you're on a bad run and the confidence is shot, there is enough quality in pretty much every team you face for them to smell blood and exploit it.

Hopefully this run will turn around soon. I think it just need a single turning point and we'll be back on track.

Either way, it's a warning shot about the fickle and cut throat nature of the PL. For those constantly banging on about the transfer window etc, that's not the be all and end all. The current relegation spots are chock full of teams who have spent and spent over the years, as is the Championship and even League One.

It's a combination of things, some almost impossible to control that keeps you above or below that all important line between success and failure.

In conclusion, no, and yes.

DARZET EAGLE
14-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Pardew remains about as good a manager as we are likely to get. Unfortunately there are a crop of managers at similar sized clubs that are better than him at the moment. Ranieri, Flores, Hughes, Bilic, Koeman and Howe are all probably superior. Hopefully the ones that are inferior sherwood, mclaren, Neil will have done enough to ensure we finish above them this season.

He left Villa 5 months ago.;)

scro
14-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Allardyce has achieved far more than what Mark Hughes has. If you gave me a choice of Pardew over Hughes and Howe I'd take Pardew all day long.

9 games does not define a manager.

I don't disagree I would say pardew has probably achieved more than Hughes also. I don't think he is a better manager though. Likewise with allardyce. Early still I guess for Howe and Hughes.

I wasn't trying to put pardew down I think he is a premier league manager I just wouldn't rate him as one of the better ones. He is having a horrid run right now and not showing a great deal to fix it.

scro
14-02-2016, 12:49 PM
He left Villa 5 months ago.;)

Yup I know. The damage was that bad that it was already done.

DARZET EAGLE
14-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't disagree I would say pardew has probably achieved more than Hughes also. I don't think he is a better manager though. Likewise with allardyce. Early still I guess for Howe and Hughes.

I wasn't trying to put pardew down I think he is a premier league manager I just wouldn't rate him as one of the better ones. He is having a horrid run right now and not showing a great deal to fix it.

He'll bounce though Scro, and then we will all say what a terrific Manager he is, real England quality.;)