PDA

View Full Version : What would you prefer - Premiership survival or FA Cup win?

Grim Reaper
01-03-2016, 11:24 PM
This is part an article I'm writing for a fanzine at present and I suspect I'm in the minority when I say I'd accept relegation in return for winning the FA Cup this season.

For me, it's about 'glory moments' and most of the glory I've had in 35 years of supporting Palace has come in the form of promotion seasons (or Dougie's goal at Stockport) anyway, so I don't even see relegation as that big a deal.

Winning the FA Cup on the other hand would be a massive deal - our biggest single trophy win in a 111 year history with just four trophies.

Maybe I need to get my head out of the 90s and put a business head on and accept that it's Premiership or bust but I suspect I'm too old-school to change my views now.

Your thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen

New LP
01-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Voted for the League, this doesn't mean that I consider the cup to be unimportant though.

Thefunkymonk
01-03-2016, 11:53 PM
The only choice that will Allow us to develop into a stable PL team able to compete for trophies (league cup/fa cup)

hughff
02-03-2016, 12:10 AM
How many times do we have to see this ******* poll?

And I will always vote for winning a trophy over mere survival as fodder for the teams that win trophies.

Al From Bromley
02-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Still both :)

Reg_Maudling
02-03-2016, 08:36 AM
what's clear is that we probably dont have the squad to do well in the premier league and go for the fa cup, look at stoke and southampton since we knocked them out, they played reserves and even tottenham did but it was less noticeable as their reserves are so good

Maidstoned Eagle
02-03-2016, 08:39 AM
Isnt there already a thread and poll on this?

The Sniper
02-03-2016, 08:40 AM
FA cup win all day long. The premier really isn't as good for a supporter as they'll have you believe.

snsmith_uk
02-03-2016, 09:13 AM
It must be the league. Win a cup and spend the rest of our days living on past glory, how many people on here criticise that of other teams constantly?

ForzaPalace
02-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Cup 100%

little al
02-03-2016, 09:26 AM
FA cup all day long.

Harry Holmesdale
02-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Well we aren't going down so lets go all out for the cup

maestro
02-03-2016, 09:28 AM
PL surival

RobertCPFC
02-03-2016, 09:37 AM
FA Cup but can't imagine us getting relegated this season anyway.

Ninjas Headband
02-03-2016, 09:45 AM
FA Cup glory would be the high point of supporting Palace in 30+ years.
Relegation would not be the low point.

Don't want dull mediocrity. Supporting Palace is all about the highs and lows of following such a club as ours.

lee_cpfc
02-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Any long time Palace fan in their right mind would do anything for a Cup win and one just ONE game in Europe!
Imagine winning the FA Cup, open top bus parade around Croydon, then a European game under the lights at Selhurst followed by a second leg against some unheard of team from Lithuania.
That would beat seeing 4 home wins every season in the PL and battling for mid-table finishes

little al
02-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Any long time Palace fan in their right mind would do anything for a Cup win and one just ONE game in Europe!
Imagine winning the FA Cup, open top bus parade around Croydon, then a European game under the lights at Selhurst followed by a second leg against some unheard of team from Lithuania.
That would beat seeing 4 home wins every season in the PL and battling for mid-table finishes

We have had both a cup win and a European game.

steve hail
02-03-2016, 09:51 AM
If we get relegated, we might not see PL football again for many years.

The FA Cup is a nice tradition and a bit of fun, but relatively insignificant, compared to PL survival.

We'd only lose in the final anyway.

This is Palace, remember.

stumpy feelers
02-03-2016, 09:53 AM

I'm a long term palace fan and I don't, premier league status is a must.

firesign
02-03-2016, 10:09 AM
If we finish 17th and win the FA Cup it will be the greatest season in the club’s history.

Jim Cannon
02-03-2016, 10:10 AM
How many threads do we need on this

henryhallandhisbasque
02-03-2016, 10:15 AM
20 years ago? The FA Cup. Now? League survival, no question. The Premier League is where a modern day, successful football club HAS to be to grow, to progress. Sorry to say it, but it's fact.

Maidstoned Eagle
02-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Vanarama Trophy

Palace_Akie
02-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Chose the cup because you'd have that forever as well as a run in the Europa League next season whereas we could get relegated and come back after one or two seasons (unlikely I know given its us but could happen). But its tough without really knowing what would happen, a friend of mine from Wigan always said FA Cup but wavered a little given how far they have fallen since.

Jim Cannon
02-03-2016, 10:27 AM

The FA Cup is a nice tradition and a bit of fun, but relatively insignificant, compared to PL survival.

The question is win the cup or survive

dean000
02-03-2016, 11:36 AM
League survival definitely.

FourtyTwo
02-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Until it became a potentially very real possibility that we could be facing this very prospect, I have always maintained that nothing would give me more pleasure (from a CPFC point of view) than seeing us win the FA Cup.

Now, it's kind of got a bit more real, and I have started to think about it a bit more. In terms of staying up, another season (or two or three) will give us such a good foundation at the club that you would hope cup success would follow. But there needs to be progression at the club for that to be a realistic argument, and albeit I am 200+ miles away with no inside knowledge, we still appear to be doing things at below PL standard. If this were to change, as indicated by SP before the season in his now infamous higher expectations speech, then the catalyst for the club to grow and develop, and therefore be challenging more for honours on a consistent basis, is continued PL survival.

What will grate if we do go down is that we have been at the top table for three years with little improvement in the club as a whole as a result. An FA Cup win would take some of that feeling away, but I just feel that this is a chance for our club to become great. And if we take that chance, then cup success will surely be down the road.

Add to that the fact that I spent a cold winter's night away at Hull, watching Jermaine Easter turn in a performance that makes Fraizer Campbell look like Lionel Messi, and have no desire to see us return to that position.

FourtyTwo
02-03-2016, 11:55 AM

tasty_snacks
02-03-2016, 12:51 PM

Dont fret. They'll all stop after Friday week. :D

Danny boy
02-03-2016, 01:25 PM

And they all end up in the same result with more people preferring to stay in the PL

red&blue_moomin
02-03-2016, 01:28 PM
I'd want both but league over the cup ultimately.

If we stay up a couple of seasons we probably end up with a greater chance of winning the thing as the overall squad improves.

Grim Reaper
02-03-2016, 02:20 PM
20 years ago? The FA Cup. Now? League survival, no question. The Premier League is where a modern day, successful football club HAS to be to grow, to progress. Sorry to say it, but it's fact.

You've got the nail on the head for a lot of people (not me but I get what you're saying.)

Malarkey
02-03-2016, 02:21 PM
The poll options really need to be reworded.

Gerry from Sussex
02-03-2016, 02:48 PM
In previous times I might have been tempted to say Cup. But, the PL is in a phase that we have hardly seen before where the ridiculous amont of money clubs get means that even the smaller clubs like us can do some serious squad and infrastructure building. We may not get another chance like this for years and years so it has to be the priority.

Hector
02-03-2016, 03:09 PM
Anyone who wants to win the FA Cup and get relegated can't be thinking right. People would rather swap one day in the sun in a competition which is largely a side show nowdays for staying in the Premier League and the potential to build a club that could win multiple trophies and compete in Europe.

Imagine saying to your grandson "I remember the day we won the FA Cup, amazing day, but you'll never get the chance to see that as we're broke and in League 1"

firesign
02-03-2016, 03:32 PM
But it’s a stupid question because we don’t get to choose. The question implies that the two things are connected but there is zero evidence that winning the FA Cup will make us more likely to be relegated or that staying up makes it less likely we’ll win the FA Cup.

BBK
02-03-2016, 03:35 PM

Indeed, one a day apparently. Maybe I'll start one tomorrow before I make my 140 character twitter post.

We're not going to get relegated so the question is stupid anyway.

FourtyTwo
02-03-2016, 03:42 PM
In previous times I might have been tempted to say Cup. But, the PL is in a phase that we have hardly seen before where the ridiculous amont of money clubs get means that even the smaller clubs like us can do some serious squad and infrastructure building. We may not get another chance like this for years and years so it has to be the priority.

I think that's right, as long as the squad and infrastructure building does get the work on it that it clearly needs to allow us the chance to progress as a football club.

I'd rather be relegated and win the FA Cup this season than be relegated in five years time without a cup win and no improvements to show for it.

sideburns7
02-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Chose the cup .cant stand the premeir league.but were not going
down. A.l super A.l

lee_cpfc
02-03-2016, 04:29 PM
We have had both a cup win and a European game.

ZDS win and Intertoto/Anglo Italian does not count.

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Both.

Selhurst Celtic
02-03-2016, 06:39 PM
FA cup.
A big day out in the sun.
A place in history forevermore.
Triangular corner flags.
A European tour.
Hopefully the disappearance of the JCL & tourist brigade.

hdeagle
02-03-2016, 06:41 PM
One could be achieved this weekend if the results go Palace's way.

Tony
02-03-2016, 06:44 PM
A cup win lasts forever... a Premier League season just feels like it does.

firstgame63cpfc
02-03-2016, 06:45 PM

It,s abit like the EU referendum, as many polls as it takes to
get the right result:p

Anyway for me it has to be the cup.
Nothing beats it.

Icy
02-03-2016, 06:52 PM
FA cup win all day long. That said i still don't think we'll be relegated thanks to our early season form.

Selhurst Celtic
02-03-2016, 06:53 PM
A cup win lasts forever... a Premier League season just feels like it does.

:p

steve13
02-03-2016, 06:54 PM
I voted for the don't know option because I didn't agree with the "Cups not important" bit in the brackets for the league vote. It would be great to win the cup but the disruption to the team that relegation would bring is too much. It could be many years before we get back in the premier league.

If we were safe I would be in favour of the cup having a higher priority than the league.

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 06:58 PM
FA cup.
A big day out in the sun.
A place in history forevermore.
Triangular corner flags.
A European tour.
Hopefully the disappearance of the JCL & tourist brigade.

I'd agree if not for the filthy lucre on offer for next season.
That cup run of 1989/90 was the best of times. Going to the Croydon Advertiser building to claim their 'party pack' so I could decorate my mum and dad's front of their house with it. We lived in West Wickham then having just moved from Fort Neef. One of our neighbours was head of the Charlton supporters club and he hated it. Good!
I went to every round, which wasn't hard seeing as we were drawn at home up til the quarter finals.
7 minutes. 7 minutes but for that Welsh scum Utd c**t. I'll always hate him for that.

Selhurst Celtic
02-03-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm a fan, not an owner or a business man associated with Palace. Just a fan. So I don't give a toss about the money. I want glory.

Every round that year? It was a right squeeze on that terrace in Cambridge.

Agree about Hughes too.

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 07:07 PM
I'm a fan, not an owner or a business man associated with Palace. Just a fan. So I don't give a toss about the money. I want glory.

Agree about Hughes too.

I'm a fan, just like you, but we've gotta be sensible here. We need that money, whether we like it or not.

As for Cambridge, I remember having to walk a fair way through a park or playing field to get to that shithole of a ground.

little al
02-03-2016, 07:10 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the age split on this poll, I would guess that most of the younger fans have opted for staying up, and the older fans 40 plus for the cup.

Baffled Bob 2
02-03-2016, 07:11 PM

Agree about Hughes too.

Yep. Even if we stay up comfortably this season and next, there will come a time when we go down. Part and parcel of following a club like ours.

Cup win we can tell the grandchildren about. Let me tell you about the year we finished 8th just doesn't have the same ring to it.

PalaceSi
02-03-2016, 07:13 PM
I'd have to go for survival but in the grand scheme of things we will get relegated at some point in the future thats virtually guaranteed whereas we won't have many such good opportunities to win the cup again.

Obviously its a fairly vital year to stay up in the financial scheme of things and that alone could have a long term baring on the fortunes of the club in the long term but we've never won a trophy before so to do so would be mega and a feather in our cap for evermore.

I can't help but feel we'll always be one of 10 teams that can go down and three always will so that pretty well gives us a 1 in 3 chance of staying up year on year. Our recent run has shown how easy it is for a team like us to slip through the trap door and you'd be a brave man to bet on us still being in the top flight in 5 years time.
We should really take advantage of these heady times and go all out for silverware but deep down going out of the cup takes a few days to get over whereas getting relegated is seriously depressing and you'd want to avoid it at all costs.

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the age split on this poll, I would guess that most of the younger fans have opted for staying up, and the older fans 40 plus for the cup.

Well I'm over 40 and normally I'd say sod the league, let's have the cup. Not this season though. Imagine if we got relegated and the filth get promotion. They'll share the spoils and we'll miss out. Parachute payments won't do.
Stay up this season, consolidate then win the FA cup next season.
Just imagine it....we win the cup and finish 8th while Brighton get relegated from the prem after one season.
The one season wankers.

3 Beers at HT
02-03-2016, 07:24 PM
Anyone who wants to win the FA Cup and get relegated can't be thinking right. People would rather swap one day in the sun in a competition which is largely a side show nowdays for staying in the Premier League and the potential to build a club that could win multiple trophies and compete in Europe.

Imagine saying to your grandson "I remember the day we won the FA Cup, amazing day, but you'll never get the chance to see that as we're broke and in League 1"

"Aaaah, son, you missed those heady days, 10 seasons in a row we were permanent fixtures in the Premier League, 8th to 16th, picking up all that money, wow."

Or:

"As soon as that ball dropped onto his right-foot it was in, on the half-volley, 25-yards out, super Yohan Cabaye, past the Chelsea goalkeeper in a flash, 120th minute, no time for a come back. Pandemonium in our end, it took me a month to sober up."

daverambo2
02-03-2016, 07:28 PM
We have never won one of the major trophies in our history. No question I would pick the cup. If we some how find enough form to win the cup I just can't see us not getting the couple of wins we need to stay up also.

spike
02-03-2016, 07:35 PM
We're bound to get relegated sometime (4 relegations and promotions so far in my time supporting Palace).

We've not won any trophies in that time and I'd like that to change.

Selhurst Celtic
02-03-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm a fan, just like you, but we've gotta be sensible here. We need that money, whether we like it or not.

I'm not going to see any of that money though. I'm just a fan. Palace coined it in last year, yet my mate who wanted to come to Leicester had to pay 40.
You could argue that the likes of Cabaye & Adebayor would never be seen again in Palace colours in the second tier without that money, but what's the alternative? Promoting players from the academy? Local lads busting a gut for the cause, like Zaha, like Scannell, like Moses?
And in a ground not populated with top flight tourists or the glory brigade, but punters that actually want to watch and actively support Palace?

I see it as a very easy choice, but that's just my opinion.

(NB: At no point in my post above have I even mentioned the bedlam that would ensue if we won the cup, put something worth looking at in our trophy cabinet, rubbed our rivals faces in it,and then chucked plastic furniture around some third world eastern European shithole in July in the europa league.)

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 07:44 PM
I'm not going to see any of that money though. I'm just a fan. Palace coined it in last year, yet my mate who wanted to come to Leicester had to pay 40.
You could argue that the likes of Cabaye & Adebayor would never be seen again in Palace colours in the second tier without that money, but what's the alternative? Promoting players from the academy? Local lads busting a gut for the cause, like Zaha, like Scannell, like Moses?
And in a ground not populated with top flight tourists or the glory brigade, but punters that actually want to watch and actively support Palace?

I see it as a very easy choice, but that's just my opinion.

(NB: At no point in my post above have I even mentioned the bedlam that would ensue if we won the cup, put something worth looking at in our trophy cabinet, rubbed our rivals faces in it,and then chucked plastic furniture around some third world eastern European shithole in July in the europa league.)

I get what you're saying but plastics are all part of this Sky dominated game nowadays. I hate it the same as you but there's **** you or I can do about. As wrong as it is.

I like the idea of chucking plastic furniture about though so that might just sway me.
:D

ElwissAtMemphis
02-03-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm not going to see any of that money though. I'm just a fan...

Exactly. The assumption that the massive increase in television money is going to see magnificent new stadiums, subsidized ticket prices and mid-ranking clubs like ourselves buying up the top superstars on the planet are a complete fallacy. The lion's share of that extra cash will be hoovered up in player's wages and agent's fees. Nothing's surer.

If we want a new state-of-the-art main stand, let alone a whole stadium, it will have to initially be funded by the owners, not Sky TV. That promising youngster who we buy from Derby County as emergency cover for a couple of defenders will be on 100K+/week in a couple of years time, probably sooner.

The price of our season tickets will continue to go up exponentially.

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 07:57 PM
We're all fans. Many of us more long standing than we care to remember.
I don't want us falling behind though.
We've got this far....

ob13
02-03-2016, 07:58 PM
i had this same conversation with some spurs fans on the way back to liverpool street,they couldnt believe that i would rather win cup than stay up.
I loved winning the zenith data systems cup.The fa cup to me despite being cheapened by all these tossers playing weakened teams is on a different level.

Yoda
02-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Well I'm over 40 and normally I'd say sod the league, let's have the cup. Not this season though. Imagine if we got relegated and the filth get promotion. They'll share the spoils and we'll miss out. Parachute payments won't do.
Stay up this season, consolidate then win the FA cup next season.
Just imagine it....we win the cup and finish 8th while Brighton get relegated from the prem after one season.
The one season wankers.

A successful cup run is rare for a team our size. Next season we could draw City away and be straight out of it.

I was more 50/50, or even 40/60, back in January, but with two matches to go I now say we're close enough that we should go for it big time.

I can hardly recall some of our Prem seasons, they almost merge and become indistinguishable. But I remember the FA Cup semi and final vividly, even the journeys there and back.

We have players that deserve that day in the sun...some because they're nearing the peak of their career and might not get another chance, some because they're great talents who could shine at Wembley.

I've also a feeling that whatever happens this season, a few players will leave this summer. I'd like them to end their Palace time with a winners' medal and a little bit of history.

Time to reach for a hankie.

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 08:01 PM
A successful cup run is rare for a team our size. Next season we could draw City away and be straight out of it.

I was more 50/50, or even 40/60, back in January, but with two matches to go I now say we're close enough that we should go for it big time.

I can hardly recall some of our Prem seasons, they almost merge and become indistinguishable. But I remember the FA Cup semi and final vividly, even the journeys there and back.

We have players that deserve that day in the sun...some because they're nearing the peak of their career and might not get another chance, some because they're great talents who could shine at Wembley.

I've also a feeling that whatever happens this season, a few players will leave this summer. I'd like them to end their Palace time with a winners' medal and a little bit of history.

Time to reach for a hankie.

But it's no guarantee that we'll beat Reading. Tough game, that.
Let's stay up this season and win the cup next year.

red&blue_moomin
02-03-2016, 09:59 PM
We're bound to get relegated sometime (4 relegations and promotions so far in my time supporting Palace).

We've not won any trophies in that time and I'd like that to change.

Eh I reckon with the vast increase in revenue from TV (transfer fees/stadium) then the club can also build the three new stands to take the ground up to 40K and increase the non TV income (which then increases wages) then we could be a premier league fixture for a long time. Well at least until SP and the rest of CPFC2010 gets bought out and some idiot blows it all. There's an opportunity to really cement the club in the top flight after 111 years.

rambo1
02-03-2016, 10:07 PM
I voted for the don't know option because I didn't agree with the "Cups not important" bit in the brackets for the league vote. It would be great to win the cup but the disruption to the team that relegation would bring is too much. It could be many years before we get back in the premier league.

If we were safe I would be in favour of the cup having a higher priority than the league.

Absolutely.
We won't Go Down & have a Great chance of Cup Success.
Both,should,be an Option.Not 1 or the other.

Bipe
02-03-2016, 10:09 PM
But it's no guarantee that we'll beat Reading. Tough game, that.
Let's stay up this season and win the cup next year.

With respect, what sort of logic is that? Of course there's no guarantee, just like there's no guarantee we'll get knocked out in the third round every year and never get relegated.

What if we're 10 points better off this time next season and in with a realistic shout of Europa League qualification? Still prioritise the league then? If so, why bother entering the cup at all?

Supa Pard
02-03-2016, 10:13 PM
With respect, what sort of logic is that? Of course there's no guarantee, just like there's no guarantee we'll get knocked out in the third round every year and never get relegated.

What if we're 10 points better off this time next season and in with a realistic shout of Europa League qualification? Still prioritise the league then? If so, why bother entering the cup at all?

That's a different question though.
If it was a toss up between Europa league qualification and winning the FA Cup then no contest. **** the Europa league.
But its a different question with a different circumstance.

Worksop Palace
02-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Europa league is slightly different to staying up

Don't you think ?

Hector
02-03-2016, 10:19 PM
"Aaaah, son, you missed those heady days, 10 seasons in a row we were permanent fixtures in the Premier League, 8th to 16th, picking up all that money, wow."

Or:

"As soon as that ball dropped onto his right-foot it was in, on the half-volley, 25-yards out, super Yohan Cabaye, past the Chelsea goalkeeper in a flash, 120th minute, no time for a come back. Pandemonium in our end, it took me a month to sober up."

You still swapping continued success for one day...one day! When that day is gone it'll only be memories while you trudge up to Selhurst to watch Rotherham hold us to a bore draw in league 1 on a regular basis. Personally I want to see quality players, full Selhurst pitching ourselves against the best every season.

Worksop Palace
02-03-2016, 10:22 PM
You still swapping continued success for one day...one day! When that day is gone it'll only be memories while you trudge up to Selhurst to watch Rotherham hold us to a bore draw in league 1 on a regular basis. Personally I want to see quality players, full Selhurst pitching ourselves against the best every season.

Spot on

Ps. With a cup win every other season ...:lux:

Oli28
02-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Nothing wrong at all with football outside the Premier League. The best seasons I've ever had as a fan have been in the second tier. Besides, the most exciting players we have played for us before we were in the Premier League.

macstar
02-03-2016, 11:00 PM
once again we are showing our small club mentality.

Just ask a Wigan fan now what they would have rather had...

Oli28
02-03-2016, 11:04 PM
once again we are showing our small club mentality.

Just ask a Wigan fan now what they would have rather had...
The two I know wouldn't swap their cup win for anything. What did the ones that you asked say?

Hector
03-03-2016, 08:21 AM
The two I know wouldn't swap their cup win for anything. What did the ones that you asked say?

Probably because they are in league 1 and that memory is all they have at the moment. Had they stayed up and thrived they might well be talking about more potential cup wins and the players they could be signing in the summer.

Oli28
03-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Probably because they are in league 1 and that memory is all they have at the moment. Had they stayed up and thrived they might well be talking about more potential cup wins and the players they could be signing in the summer.
I see what you mean but I dug up some statistics on one of the other threads which show just how few teams have won the FA Cup in the past thirty years outside the 'big' 6 clubs, regardless of their length of stay in the Premier League. If the chance is there to win a trophy then I'd take that all day.

I appreciate that many will disagree but I'd be just as happy supporting palace in the championship, league 1 or wherever as I would be supporting us in the Premier League.

Jim Cannon
03-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Wigan never exactly thrived in the premier league thiugh did they, most years they were scraping to safety

Jim Cannon
03-03-2016, 09:16 AM
I see what you mean but I dug up some statistics on one of the other threads which show just how few teams have won the FA Cup in the past thirty years outside the 'big' 6 clubs, regardless of their length of stay in the Premier League. If the chance is there to win a trophy then I'd take that all day.

I appreciate that many will disagree but I'd be just as happy supporting palace in the championship, league 1 or wherever as I would be supporting us in the Premier League.

I am with you. My support for the club has never depended on what division we are in, and having a memory of a bit of glory would be wonderful. What people do not seem to get is that we are not an arsenal or a spurs who can reasonably expect to always be in the top league and get opportunities to win trophies. For us, these chances are rare, and should be grabbed with both hands!

rhiannapaul
03-03-2016, 10:18 AM
Fa cup and europe please
this league doesnt nothing for the fans just survival is boring

Martin H
03-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Re the original question. No contest. Premiership survival every time. Both is obviously the preference but if it's only one of them it has to be survival and by a massive margin for me.

Robin_mick
03-03-2016, 10:44 AM
Survival.

MFBias
03-03-2016, 01:08 PM
All thats happens with money increasing is the more money on fees and wages, so this pot of money doesnt build a club. Why are people still talking about the semi final in 1990? Because it was a triumph, beating the best team in the country to enter the FA Cup final for the first time. Do we talk about the year we finished 10th (1990) ... No because it doesnt hold any success.

All those people saying lets stay up and win it next year, what happens if we are in the same position?

I dont think the question is choosing staying up or winning the cup and going down; rather do we have the balls to go and risk it all to bring some success to this club.

I say lets risk it.

The Vicar
03-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Re the original question. No contest. Premiership survival every time. Both is obviously the preference but if it's only one of them it has to be survival and by a massive margin for me.

The correct answer

aj4england
03-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Let stay up so we can get into the best position we have been in for years only to get a few injuries and the chairman not to invest any money when it was most needed and watch us slip down the league and endure some of the worst football in recent history, albeit in the top flight, and accept it because we nearly went broke not once but twice and because the manager is 'one of us'.

FA Cup for me. Knowing us Bolasie and Dann will be off in the summer regardless of what league amongst others, so lets at least sign off with something we will never forget.

ForzaPalace
03-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Let stay up so we can get into the best position we have been in for years only to get a few injuries and the chairman not to invest any money when it was most needed and watch us slip down the league and endure some of the worst football in recent history, albeit in the top flight, and accept it because we nearly went broke not once but twice and because the manager is 'one of us'.

FA Cup for me. Knowing us Bolasie and Dann will be off in the summer regardless of what league amongst others, so lets at least sign off with something we will never forget.

Yep, pretty much this.

Danny_Cheviot
03-03-2016, 01:28 PM
A FA cup win will be cast in stone forever. Palace have been relegated numerous times in the past and look where they ended up.

palacea
03-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Palace have been relegated numerous times in the past and look where they ended up.

But we surely have the best owners ever now ?

Kinzman
03-03-2016, 01:35 PM
Football is a sport and in sport the idea is to be a winner, FA cup every day of the week. Can you even imagine sitting down with your grandkids telling stories of the glory days of 2016 when we finished 14th in the league, of course not...........but winning the cup!

Eagles1977
03-03-2016, 01:37 PM
It was tough to decide but went for the cup. Would love to stay up as well but the memory of winning the fa cup would never be erased. So I'm with the cup! (Just!)

GreatGonzo
03-03-2016, 01:43 PM
History suggests that we are more likely to be promoted back into the PL then we are to reach the semi final/final of the FA Cup in the next few years.

Happy to go all out for the cup. (Think we will stay up anyway)

little al
03-03-2016, 01:47 PM
All thats happens with money increasing is the more money on fees and wages, so this pot of money doesnt build a club. Why are people still talking about the semi final in 1990? Because it was a triumph, beating the best team in the country to enter the FA Cup final for the first time. Do we talk about the year we finished 10th (1990) ... No because it doesnt hold any success.

All those people saying lets stay up and win it next year, what happens if we are in the same position?

I dont think the question is choosing staying up or winning the cup and going down; rather do we have the balls to go and risk it all to bring some success to this club.

I say lets risk it.
Or even when we finished 3rd.

dave_who_ru
03-03-2016, 02:06 PM
We all want to see Palace lift a trophy but the upheaval that a relegation would cause us outweighs that at this moment in time.

sydnsteve
03-03-2016, 03:39 PM
cup without a doubt. So much to dislike about the PL

PauLo
03-03-2016, 03:42 PM
The FA cup will mean shit if we're in the ******* Championship. "Yay we won a cup, now for another mid week trip to Barnsley in the pissing rain. Yay"

**** the FA Cup if it means going back there. Horrible league with no benefits.

PauLo
03-03-2016, 03:45 PM
We've come so far that relegation would be a massive kick in the teeth and no amount of silverware could rectify that.

Kinzman
03-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Shame that this is all about money now days. Who ever thought that staying up in a league or even finishing miles behind the Champions in fourth place would mean more than actually winning something, so so sad!!

orp pisshead1
03-03-2016, 03:56 PM

Insignificant! It's a major major trophy and for us the only one we can possibly win. FA cup win all day long & it'll be forever in our history books.

PauLo
03-03-2016, 03:59 PM
It's about more than the money. It's about the pride at seeing your team go toe to toe with the best players in the world. It's about the academy and bringing through youngsters at the top level. It's about attracting good players and seeing entertaining football. You get none of that in the Championship with a cup.

Pinkie Brown
03-03-2016, 03:59 PM
We will be relegated sooner or later, so I'd take the FA Cup please.
Obviously if Cup and 17th place is on offer I'll snap your hand off!

Grim Reaper
03-03-2016, 08:19 PM
I like the idea of chucking plastic furniture about though so that might just sway me.
:D

It's such a romantic image coupled with beer bellies hanging over polyester shorts; bulldog tattoos; running from police water cannons; fans ordering beers in Spanish....even though they're not in Spain, but still liking to feel they've made an effort .

Can't wait :p;)

luxeagle
03-03-2016, 08:32 PM
it is not just any cup it is the FA Cup. Sadly also it is palace so we will be beaten by reading and get relegated......but i will still be supporting them with pride and loving the rollercoaster that is the club that has made me laugh and cry over the last 45 ish years , Wembley and the 4-3 semi stand out over those years the relegations hurt for a while but we will one day (fingers crossed) bounce back. The owners and investment should help in that if relegation was to happen but Crystal Palace engraved on the FA Cup would be worth a trip to lowly brighton in the championship or even millwall in div one.

Grim Reaper
03-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Interesting angle re. League One.

An angle for a new poll - would you be happy to 'do a Wigan' and have TWO relegations for FA Cup glory. That'd probably sway a few people.

DARZET EAGLE
03-03-2016, 11:07 PM
An extended run in the Premier League every time, so that we can really move the club and it's infrastructure forward.

orp pisshead1
04-03-2016, 07:30 AM
It's about more than the money. It's about the pride at seeing your team go toe to toe with the best players in the world. It's about the academy and bringing through youngsters at the top level. It's about attracting good players and seeing entertaining football. You get none of that in the Championship with a cup.

Couldn't be more wrong could you with academy point could you.

orp pisshead1
04-03-2016, 07:33 AM

An angle for a new poll - would you be happy to 'do a Wigan' and have TWO relegations for FA Cup glory. That'd probably sway a few people.

Think of the new grounds, well ok visiting old favourites ;). And no one can seriously compare us to Wigan ffs. Wigan are at their natural level imo.

Ardent Eagle Forever
04-03-2016, 07:44 AM
FA Cup Win:lux: My ultimate dream:lux:

Relegation

Benefits of relegation:;)
More grounds to go to with better atmospheres
Won't have to leave so early to park near Selhurst
Cheaper tickets at Selhurst
More games per season on your cheaper season tickets
No more day trippers
No more selfie sticks
My wife won't have to cancel clients on Saturday mornings or Monday nights because of TV games.
Knowing that we can win the championship or any other division that we are in apart from the premiersh1te. Cos lets face it, this is a not a competition that we can win. Unless by some sheer fluke we get mahrez, vardy and ranieri:clown:

What's not to like;)

Langers
04-03-2016, 07:55 AM

And throw in the Weeds going up and passing us on the way :eek:

WLYWLYAWYPWF
04-03-2016, 08:03 AM

Relegation

No more day trippers
No more selfie sticks
My wife won't have to cancel clients on Saturday mornings or Monday nights because of TV games.
Knowing that we can win the championship or any other division that we are in apart from the premiersh1te. Cos lets face it, this is a not a competition that we can win. Unless by some sheer fluke we get mahrez, vardy and ranieri:clown:

What's not to like;)

You forgot administration. It's been a while now. We must be due another one in a couple of years. :D

orp pisshead1
04-03-2016, 08:11 AM
Only a jcl/plastic fan could think the FA CUP isn't important .

orp pisshead1
04-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Relegation

No more day trippers
No more selfie sticks

What's not to like;)

This all day long ^^^^^ tho you did forget the academy players getting first team action:).

sl6 Eagle
05-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Just noticed that Reading have to play Huddersfield on Tuesday night before taking us on Friday night, can only help the cause.

jhc
06-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Love to win the FA Cup, but staying in the Prem is essential to the future of the club. It's the only thing that matters, and I say that with a heavy heart.

DARZET EAGLE
06-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Love to win the FA Cup, but staying in the Prem is essential to the future of the club. It's the only thing that matters, and I say that with a heavy heart.

It seems that the majority agree with you, me included.

out vile jelly
06-03-2016, 11:46 AM
As long as we are solvent, I imagine being in a lower division rather than the Premier League won't actually bring any less happiness to the fans. There has been more vitriol and sense of entitlement on these message boards than there ever was when we were in the championship. While the thought of continuing elevation to the top is an exciting one, the reality is that it tends to make victories expected and anything else a disappointment; it leads to a disconnect between players and fans, the former being paid a lot more and not so desperate to prove their professional pedigree.

For me, winning the FA Cup will be something that stays etched in history.

In 2057, when my grandchildren (lifelong supporters of lower league pPalace) look through the history e-books and ask me if I was really there in 2016, I want to be able to say "Mazb, Wallib, my dear children: yes, I was there. The match was played on real grass, if you can believe it, at what used to be called Wembley Stadium, an arena that lay on the actual surface of the city. What nobody remembers is that we were actually in the middle of a terrible league run and got relegated that season! But that day our team, tired and desperate though they were, fought like tigers. No-one gave them a chance but we ran and we hustled and we bloody well won the game. And remember, kids, those were the days when all the English Euro Super League clubs competed in the same leagues and cups as all the rest of the teams! I watched Palace win the FA Cup that day and it will be with me forever."

And with that, I will rub their hair affectionately and return to my virtual reality suite in which I drink pina coladas, eat lobster on the beach and enjoy endless, obscene frolics with the Crystal Cheerleaders.

Saying that, we'll probably get knocked out by Reading.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-03-2016, 12:04 PM
But we surely have the best owners ever now ?

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/snufflerdude/Mobile%20Uploads/image_98.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/snufflerdude/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_98.jpg.html)

stumpy feelers
06-03-2016, 04:17 PM
All you muppets saying FA cup win, happy now, great isn't it.

Dj 784
06-03-2016, 04:19 PM
We're still nine points clear calm down dear.

Santos-er
06-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Miserable as the current winless run is, the run itself depresses me more than the thought of relegation.

I'll take a Cup win and relegation any day :p

CoDownEagle
06-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Winning the fa cup anyday. Being relegated and losing our better players like Dann, Yala,zaha etc doesn't worry me. We may even drop down through several divisions like Pompey but I'd still be happy.

Spender
06-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Prem survival

Oli28
06-03-2016, 08:49 PM
What point are you even making? We lost today because of the fact we had a cup game a couple of weeks ago?

99percent
10-03-2016, 11:55 PM
Cup or nothing it's a south London thing:afro:

Al From Bromley
25-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Still both :)

:lux:

ffsear
25-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Not that it matters now.

15/10 years ago, FA cup.

But in this day and age I have to go for Prem survival

Vince Hilaire's Afro
25-04-2016, 11:27 AM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii266/snufflerdude/Mobile%20Uploads/image_105.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/snufflerdude/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_105.jpg.html)

trufan
25-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Still survival for me. Cup final is a magnificent achievement and winning the thing would be a lifelong dream come true. But when next season kicks off, the only thing that counts will be that we're still in the Prem, with some top signings wearing the shirt, TV money banked, and with our ground development scheme ready and raring to go. One more win please (given the way others have picked up) and I believe we can all relax and look forward to a potentially glittering CPFC future. COYP!! :)