PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kember first time as Palace Manager ended up with him being sacked to be replac

sweatyeagles69
24-03-2016, 01:30 PM
He had some good players like David Giles who I thought was very skilful. Under Mullery it was tosh like John Lacey. If someone could explain why I would appreciate it. And Kember is and was even back then a Palace and Croydon legend.

Jim Cannon
24-03-2016, 01:37 PM
IIRC he replaced Dario Gradi when he quit. Caretaker, then think he got given the job. We were garbage in the league but had a decent run in FA Cup to quarter finals before losing to Clive Allen's late goal GRRRR. I assume Noades thought Mullery had better credentials, and staggeringly did not realise what an unpopular choice he would be.

sweatyeagles69
24-03-2016, 02:16 PM
We was garbage for some time in the league and qphahahahaha taking a lot of our players didn't help our cause but I think Kember should of got at least another season. I expect your right Noades had no idea on our feelings regarding Mullery. I felt the same when Venables came back.

Pub Idol
24-03-2016, 02:20 PM
We was garbage for some time in the league and qphahahahaha taking a lot of our players didn't help our cause but I think Kember should of got at least another season. I expect your right Noades had no idea on our feelings regarding Mullery. I felt the same when Venables came back.

Before me time but the general consensus was that he was harshly treated.

sweatyeagles69
24-03-2016, 02:24 PM
I would argue it was short sighted by Noades as well.

sweatyeagles69
24-03-2016, 02:24 PM

Spot on

LONDONMAN
24-03-2016, 02:38 PM
I had a face to face argument with Uncle Ron (Noades) after a pre-season match at Plymouth in 1984, which, among other things that I didn't like him doing at Palace up to then, the subject of why he sacked Stevie Kember came up.

Apparently, Kember was in the process of trying to re-sign Dave Swindlehurst from Derby without prior consultation with Noadsie, which was why he got the chop.

Not withstanding the fact that Swindlehurst went on to join West Ham and subsequently score in games which knocked Palace out of the Cup in 1984, we of course managed to sign such wonderful strikers as Andy McCulloch, Trevor Aylott and Phil Barber instead!

Ron was such a genius, in another argument I had with him about why we had not signed John Fashanu from Norwich in 1982 when he had three games on loan - Ron claimed he wasn't worth the 15,000 they were asking at the time!

Jim Cannon
24-03-2016, 03:18 PM
Ron was such a genius, in another argument I had with him about why we had not signed John Fashanu from Norwich in 1982 when he had three games on loan - Ron claimed he wasn't worth the 15,000 they were asking at the time!

I remember Fashanu on loan, and he looked pretty shit to be fair

sweatyeagles69
24-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Swindlehurst daughter went to my school in Shirley. Thanks for reminding me of the strikers we had lol. I exchanged a few letters with Noades which he replied to which is more then Simon Jordan ever did. I haven't written to the club since. Kember in my view could scout a good player and to resign Swindlehurst would of been a coup for Kember and for Palace

Pub Idol
24-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Swindlehurst daughter went to my school in Shirley. Thanks for reminding me of the strikers we had lol. I exchanged a few letters with Noades which he replied to which is more then Simon Jordan ever did. I haven't written to the club since. Kember in my view could scout a good player and to resign Swindlehurst would of been a coup for Kember and for Palace

He scouted Glenn Murray.

Ruskin Old Boy
24-03-2016, 06:05 PM

He was.

After keeping Palace up he went on holiday to Greece. Not long after arrival the hotel put through a call from Noades. Who sacked him over the phone.

Hedgehog
25-03-2016, 12:38 AM
I remember I was sitting on the beach in Santa Monica, California reading a local English newspaper, and there was a little 2 or 3 line snippet saying something like, "Crystal Palace have sacked their manager Steve Kember and replaced him with Alan Mullery".

I distinctly remember saying quite loudly, "You have to be ******* joking!"

The fact SK is/was my all time hero, and AM was the devil incarnated may have had something to do with it.

I think a little bit of my love for Palace died that day.

gold76
26-03-2016, 02:59 PM
It was the sharp drop in attendances- the missing thousands that were most astounding.

Only in our current recent succesful years are we getting back to the levels that we had.

Obviously the ground has changed, but from pulling in 30,000 on occasion and that legendary 50,000 night- going down within 5 years to sub 5000crowds were frightening.

dbutler
26-03-2016, 03:46 PM
It was the sharp drop in attendances- the missing thousands that were most astounding.

Only in our current recent succesful years are we getting back to the levels that we had.

Obviously the ground has changed, but from pulling in 30,000 on occasion and that legendary 50,000 night- going down within 5 years to sub 5000crowds were frightening.
Stayed and watched PTID, even under Mullers !

Typical Palace
26-03-2016, 08:22 PM
I remember Fashanu on loan, and he looked pretty shit to be fair

Yep

Grim Reaper
04-05-2016, 08:54 PM

Possibly a league record.

Average of 30000 or so in 1980 (that's AVERAGE - some crowds were over 40000!)

20000 in the relegation year of 1981

And then just 10000 in 1982.

And it carried on getting worse until it started to turn round in 1985-96 when league-wide attendances started to rise after the all time low (who league, not just Palace) of 1984-85