PDA

View Full Version : Tennis has different balls from womens and mens matches?

Kidofwonder
27-03-2016, 11:44 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/27/andy-murray-ball-row-denis-istomin-miami-open-tennis

Far East Eagle
28-03-2016, 01:48 AM
what really pisses in my coffee for a long time has been how women play less sets but still get the same prize money and that's hailed as equality. The US open exec dares to say anything and is then forced out.

spike
28-03-2016, 08:42 AM
At Indian Wells (where the exec was moaning), men and women both play 3 sets, so that is equality.

maestro
28-03-2016, 08:54 AM
what really pisses in my coffee for a long time has been how women play less sets but still get the same prize money and that's hailed as equality. The US open exec dares to say anything and is then forced out.

They seemed to have kept the different tennis balls very quiet.

Artificially making the womens game faster

jan
28-03-2016, 09:03 AM

No they get less that's what the woman are moaning about. Simple play 5 sets ;)

jan
28-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Or is that just at Wimbledon

Jordan's Jacket
28-03-2016, 09:17 AM
As a matter of interest do women get the same prize money in any other sports?

mroakley9
28-03-2016, 10:19 AM
As a matter of interest do women get the same prize money in any other sports?

If swimming counts as a sport, then swimming.

Kidofwonder
28-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Set length varies from tournament to tournament.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
28-03-2016, 11:04 AM

Surely it should be judged by the standard/popularity of women's sport compared to the men's, rather than how many sets they play. If the women bring in as much revenue, they deserve an equal share of the spoils.

Not sure if they do or not, but to make a comparison, women playing football play 90 minutes, but I don't think there's the same clamouring to ensure they earn the same wage as their male counterparts!

WLYWLYAWYPWF
28-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Surely it should be judged by the standard/popularity of women's sport compared to the men's, rather than how many sets they play. If the women bring in as much revenue, they deserve an equal share of the spoils.

Not sure if they do or not, but to make a comparison, women playing football play 90 minutes, but I don't think there's the same clamouring to ensure they earn the same wage as their male counterparts!

Do they use a lighter football?

El Aguila
28-03-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm more likely to watch women's tennis than men's. I find it more aesthetically pleasing.

Blind_Eagle
29-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Which balls do they use in mixed doubles?

Skid Row
30-03-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm more likely to watch women's tennis than men's. I find it more aesthetically pleasing.
Damn straight.
http://www.fotos.org/galeria/data/901/Arantxa-Sanchez-Vicario-10.jpg

saxoneagle
30-03-2016, 12:43 PM
Which balls do they use in mixed doubles?

Navratilova's.

cantspell
30-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Or is that just at Wimbledon

Grand slams is he only difference - although they used to play best of 5 in the Queen's Final (used to be call Stella Artois tournament) on grass just before Wimbledon

lee_cpfc
30-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Do you prefer grass or astroturf?

WorthingEagle
30-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Do you prefer grass or astroturf?

I don't know - I've never smoked astroturf.

saxoneagle
30-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I've never smoked astroturf.

chelmsfordeagle
09-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Grand slams is he only difference - although they used to play best of 5 in the Queen's Final (used to be call Stella Artois tournament) on grass just before Wimbledon

They used to play best of five sets in a lot of tournament finals. They changed the rules a few years back. Now its only the slams, Davis cup and the final of the Olympics. I'd like to see women play best of five in GS's (Cue comments about 3 sets is already too much) Generally the great matches in history have gone to 5 sets. Women do get positive discrimination with their pay in the slams, however, women's sport in general has faced huge amounts of sexism (and still does) which has led to it lagging behind in most sports. This takes a long time to change. For women's tennis it is also unfortunate hat men's tennis has been incredible for most of this century. Prior to this i found the women's game much better to watch than the men's.