PDA

View Full Version : Upton Park Memories

ElwissAtMemphis
30-03-2016, 05:24 PM
So Saturday will be the last ever Palace match at Upton Park or Boleyn Ground or whatever the hell you want to call it. In 16 previous competitive matches we've won just 3 of them but both of the last 2.

Sat,28-Feb-2015 ;D1; West Ham United 1-3 Crystal Palace
Sat,19-Apr-2014 ;D1; West Ham United 0-1 Crystal Palace
Sat,25-Feb-2012 ;D2; West Ham United 0-0 Crystal Palace
Wed,01-Oct-2003 ;D2; West Ham United 3-0 Crystal Palace
Wed,03-Dec-1997 ;D1; West Ham United 4-1 Crystal Palace
Sat,08-Oct-1994 ;D1; West Ham United 1-0 Crystal Palace
Mon,20-Apr-1992 ;D1; West Ham United 0-2 Crystal Palace
Tue,31-Jan-1984 ;FA; West Ham United 2-0 Crystal Palace
Sat,18-Nov-1978 ;D2; West Ham United 1-1 Crystal Palace
Sat,28-Oct-1972 ;D1; West Ham United 4-0 Crystal Palace
Sat,19-Feb-1972 ;D1; West Ham United 1-1 Crystal Palace
Sat,06-Mar-1971 ;D1; West Ham United 0-0 Crystal Palace
Sat,08-Nov-1969 ;D1; West Ham United 2-1 Crystal Palace
Sat,07-Apr-1923 ;D2; West Ham United 1-1 Crystal Palace
Sat,11-Mar-1922 ;D2; West Ham United 2-0 Crystal Palace
Sat,31-Jan-1914 ;FA; West Ham United 2-0 Crystal Palace

Any memories, good or bad?

Jedinak's penalty guaranteeing Premiership survival 2 years ago or the lights going out in 1997 when the Asian betting syndicate pulled the plug after Frank Lampard's equalizer. Mine are mostly bad; that FA Cup replay in 1984 was one of the few times that I've genuinely feared for my physical safety at a match.

Selhurst Celtic
30-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Relegating them in 1992 and singing "Mark Fowler's got AIDS" over and over again in the Boleyn Tavern afterwards.

DocSavage
30-03-2016, 05:30 PM
1972 two of us went an odd route into woolwich foot tunnel to north woolwich

bus or 2 to ground paid on gate not sure of layout (1st visit) unpleasant place, unpleasant fans who enjoyed being unpleasant,

and left as 4th went into our net?

jaspercpfc
30-03-2016, 05:33 PM
Relegating them in 1992 and singing "Mark Fowler's got AIDS" over and over again in the Boleyn Tavern afterwards.

Alvin Martin's back pass for Bright's goal :lux::lux::lux:
A time when we had Cookie up top and he did a decent job.

ElwissAtMemphis
30-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Sat,08-Nov-1969 ;D1; West Ham United 2-1 Crystal Palace

West Ham's line-up...

Bobby Ferguson
Bobby Howe
Alan Stephenson
Frank Lampard
Bobby Moore
Billy Bonds
Martin Peters
Trevor Brooking
Harry Redknapp
Clyde Best
Geoff Hurst
Manager: Ron Greenwood

Some names to conjure with there.

ElwissAtMemphis
30-03-2016, 06:08 PM
This was a good one.

Ds6a1ZFJ4Vw

My Dad hated standing so when we went to away games we got seats even though, in those days, away fans weren't officially allocated any. We went to the box office to find that all the seats were sold out so naively he thought it would be a better view sideways on and so we stood in the enclosure. It was only later that I learnt that this was what was colloquially refered to as The Chicken Run. I was too young to be aware of the danger and I think we were at the opposite end to the Palace fans where the ICF routinely congregated. I'm pretty sure me and my brother cheered anyway.

Nth Kent Eagle
30-03-2016, 06:13 PM
I recall the night match FA cup replay at Upton Park in 84. Palace fans were quite numerous and made a lot of noise. The West Ham hard men were infiltrating the end but didn't seem to bother with us. The police kept us in for ages afterwards for the streets to clear. Walked back to the car and by then most traffic had gone and I was through the Blackwall Tunnel very quickly.

Dorking .Eagle
30-03-2016, 06:14 PM
The Mark Fowler songs went on and on all through that match in 1992, and their fans were so despondent that they had no reply to the constant piss taking

The away terrace was properly packed that day, could not move an inch in the back half.

Dunkie
30-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Vague memories of one when their ground was being developed and we were allocated seats carefully segregated away in one of side stands. Half time and we popped to the bar/ refreshment area and found it was mixed home and away fans. All was fairly civilised, if not exactly relaxed. still, a half time pint is a half time pint...

DocSavage
30-03-2016, 06:25 PM
Vague memories of one when their ground was being developed and we were allocated seats carefully segregated away in one of side stands. Half time and we popped to the bar/ refreshment area and found it was mixed home and away fans. All was fairly civilised, if not exactly relaxed. still, a half time pint is a half time pint...

better than a full time half pint?

New LP
30-03-2016, 06:25 PM
1992 singing Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, you're going to Barnserlee, que sera sera. Bright scoring.

I remember being crammed into a corner of that old terrace they had that is now the Bobby Moore Stand end. They obviously thought we wouldn't bring many fans. The one time I watched a football match with my feet unable to touch the ground pushed up against a terrace bar. Bad when you consider Hillsborough had only happened a few years previously.

New LP
30-03-2016, 06:26 PM
better than a full time half pint?

I think we only had about 600 tickets that day.

west country boy
30-03-2016, 06:27 PM
So Saturday will be the last ever Palace match at Upton Park or Boleyn Ground or whatever the hell you want to call it. In 16 previous competitive matches we've won just 3 of them but both of the last 2.

Any memories, good or bad?Wed,01-Oct-2003 ;D2; West Ham United 3-0 Crystal PalaceFrom what I can recall West Ham were taking the absolute piss in the second half and Palace offered nothing. (I'm hoping my memory is serving me wrong here.)

New LP
30-03-2016, 06:28 PM
The Mark Fowler songs went on and on all through that match in 1992, and their fans were so despondent that they had no reply to the constant piss taking

The away terrace was properly packed that day, could not move an inch in the back half.

Also 'you're going down with the bond scheme'.

We a really took this piss, but they did get us back a few years later at Selhurst when we were as good as relegated.

DocSavage
30-03-2016, 06:28 PM
From what I can recall West Ham were taking the absolute piss in the second half and Palace offered nothing. (I'm hoping my memory is serving me wrong here.)

was kember the boss there?

if so we were clueless excruciatingly so

Dunkie
30-03-2016, 06:34 PM
I think we only had about 600 tickets that day.

Aah, life before loyalty points. Just had to get to the club shop pronto and hope for the best!

Lord Flange
30-03-2016, 06:38 PM
1992 singing Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, you're going to Barnserlee, que sera sera. Bright scoring.

I remember being crammed into a corner of that old terrace they had that is now the Bobby Moore Stand end. They obviously thought we wouldn't bring many fans. The one time I watched a football match with my feet unable to touch the ground pushed up against a terrace bar. Bad when you consider Hillsborough had only happened a few years previously.

But it was bloody good fun. A complete lack of any crush barriers in the back 10 or more steps meant surge carnage, until the police stepped in and threw out random groups of fans to ease congestion.

One of my all time fave aways that day. :p

Selhurst Celtic
30-03-2016, 06:41 PM
From what I can recall West Ham were taking the absolute piss in the second half and Palace offered nothing. (I'm hoping my memory is serving me wrong here.)

Mellor (Neil?) ran us ragged. At least you had the good sense to leave after the 3rd goal.

But in the words of Simon Jordan, needless to say we had the last laugh on that one.

west country boy
30-03-2016, 06:43 PM
was kember the boss there?

if so we were clueless excruciatingly soI've just checked, and he was indeed. Two goals for Neil Mellor as well! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/3139834.stm

west country boy
30-03-2016, 06:55 PM
We a really took this piss, but they did get us back a few years later at Selhurst when we were as good as relegated.That was the first season I lived in London. My first match was at Highbury and the last the West Ham home fixture (1-0?)

RobertCPFC
30-03-2016, 09:15 PM
The only times I have been were the last two seasons. The first time is a day no Palace fan there will ever forget and last season wasn't bad either.

As I am not going this weekend I therefore have a 100% record at Upton Park. :lux:

Excowboy
30-03-2016, 09:22 PM
"Shit ground, no lights..."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/the-floodlights-went-out-ndash-and-an-asian-betting-syndicate-raked-in-a-fortune-2066133.html

A-r7KNNpeWs

danpalace07
30-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Why did they decide to change it to the Boleyn Ground? Growing up it was always called Upton Park even by their fans

ConCPFC
30-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Paying a quid to get in when we played them in the Championship. But also the game under Pulis when we stayed up was a great day

ElwissAtMemphis
30-03-2016, 09:48 PM
"Shit ground, no lights..."

A very youthful Rio Ferdinand getting wrong-footed by Neil Shipperley's rubbish attempt at a Cruyff turn there.

DARZET EAGLE
30-03-2016, 09:55 PM
West Ham's line-up...

Bobby Ferguson
Bobby Howe
Alan Stephenson
Frank Lampard
Bobby Moore
Billy Bonds
Martin Peters
Trevor Brooking
Harry Redknapp
Clyde Best
Geoff Hurst
Manager: Ron Greenwood

Some names to conjure with there.

Great centre half for Palace prior to moving to West Ham:p

cappuccinoeagle
31-03-2016, 12:09 AM
After the floodlights went off the obvious " Pay the bill" and also " Ricky is your leader" referring to the gormless character played by Sid Owen in Eastenders

New LP
31-03-2016, 07:29 AM
Aah, life before loyalty points. Just had to get to the club shop pronto and hope for the best!

I think season ticket holders had first dibs, but if you didn't get one you couldn't then spend the rest of your life bleating about the unfairness of it all on here!

The games wasn't great from memory, 0-1 with Don Hutchinson scoring.

New LP
31-03-2016, 07:31 AM
But it was bloody good fun. A complete lack of any crush barriers in the back 10 or more steps meant surge carnage, until the police stepped in and threw out random groups of fans to ease congestion.

One of my all time fave aways that day. :p

I remember having a big bruise the next day so not so fun for me.

Was a good day though, seems a long time ago now.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
31-03-2016, 08:55 AM
John Salako warming up after the game as part of the rehab from his cruciate knee injury.

Dorking .Eagle
31-03-2016, 09:22 AM
I think season ticket holders had first dibs, but if you didn't get one you couldn't then spend the rest of your life bleating about the unfairness of it all on here!

The games wasn't great from memory, 0-1 with Don Hutchinson scoring.

Yep, went to that one too. We were the end block of their old Main Stand. Not a great game.

Also went to a Testimonial there in the summer of 1989, a week before the first away game of the season at QPR (where we took thousands)

And once did a Palace reserves game there on a warm day - we were in the Lower Tier behind the dugouts. Main thing I remember about that was that the tube wasn't working so had to change plans and get a bus to Plaistow, and got rather lost, asking random strangers the way :afro:

Dorking .Eagle
31-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Oh, and a couple of England games there. One was the full England team against Australia, played there because Wembley was being rebuilt. England lost and I think Popovic scored?

The other was an England U21 game, and I think Matt Jansen played for England (?)

My programmes from that era are buried under a ton of other stuff in the loft so cannot check the details!

Thanet Eagle
31-03-2016, 03:48 PM
I was there in 1992 when we won 2-0, think Brighty scored that day. Hardly remember the match at all as was stood at the back and could hardly see a thing. Remember an air of violence on the walk up from the tube station.

New LP
31-03-2016, 04:30 PM
I was there in 1992 when we won 2-0, think Brighty scored that day. Hardly remember the match at all as was stood at the back and could hardly see a thing. Remember an air of violence on the walk up from the tube station.

We were locked in for half an hour afterwards.

bestperch
31-03-2016, 04:34 PM
We were locked in for half an hour afterwards.

Only thing I remember coming from the chicken run that day was 'If Thomas plays for England so do I' :D

Sleeping Giant
31-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Remember going there in the promotion season of 78/79. We contrived to get in the wrong end, cant remember why or how but I sure recall us equalising late on. Felt outwardly, due to a general love of life, unable to celebrate. Inside I was goin absolutely frigg*n batshit crazy. One of my most fondly remembered away points.

Malaga Eagle
31-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Remember going in the Ann Bolyn before a game v Palace when the dreymen were on strike, they were selling cans of anything they could get their hands on, the bar was ankle deep in empties

Bipe
31-03-2016, 08:33 PM
This was a good one.

Ds6a1ZFJ4Vw

My Dad hated standing so when we went to away games we got seats even though, in those days, away fans weren't officially allocated any. We went to the box office to find that all the seats were sold out so naively he thought it would be a better view sideways on and so we stood in the enclosure. It was only later that I learnt that this was what was colloquially refered to as The Chicken Run. I was too young to be aware of the danger and I think we were at the opposite end to the Palace fans where the ICF routinely congregated. I'm pretty sure me and my brother cheered anyway.

Terrible goalkeeping for our equaliser. Good to see footage of the elusive Mike Elwiss finding the net for Palace though. He could have been a good player for us had he not been totally shafted by injury. See also Kevin Mabbutt a few years later.

kayjay
01-04-2016, 01:17 AM
One was the full England team against Australia

3-1 :p

Hedgehog
01-04-2016, 02:54 AM
I was at Upton Park for the West Ham v Hereford FA Cup game in the 70's does that count.

Was it during the minors strike with the funny kick off times/days? Seem to remember it being some odd time/day.

jjeagle
01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Sorry its slightly off topic but my visit to Upton Park was being taken to the Bobby Moore testimonial vs Celtic, l am guessing 1970-71? Got taken by a couple of Celtic fans from my old mans local. I wasn't allowed in the Celtic end with them. The analogy they used at the time went along the lines of "as l had only stood on the terraces at Palace that was the equivalent of dipping my toes in a paddling pool. They reckoned their end would be like a non swimmer diving straight into the deep end"

Watching from the side, they were right. A seething mass. And quite lively outside after!!

LONDONMAN
01-04-2016, 12:42 PM
The game in November 1978 was my first visit to Upton Park. I went with my uncle, who grew up in Leyton and was a West Ham fan all his life (he was 74 back then, but used to take great pleasure in telling me the 1923 West Ham Cup Final side, naming the team off by heart!) and we stood on what I now know was the Chicken Run, although I wasn't sure of the layout back then.

I don't think he really got the idea that it was a bit unsafe for me as a Palace fan to be right in the middle of the West Ham support and even though he was that old, turned on one bloke he got a bit chippy just for me cheering a Palace move. It was interesting on a packed bus of West Ham fans after the game too as he couldn't see why I was so edgy about talking about my own team right in the middle of them all!

For some reason, the home game against West Ham that season sticks in the mind more. I know the reason - Billy Gilbert smashed the ball in the net from 30 yards and the gate was one of our biggest that season - only two bigger Brighton and Burnley (this was 78/79), the gate always seemed to roughly double when we played another London side (or Brighton!) - back in the day anybody could just turn up and pay on the turnstile to get in, so you could usually guess that much of the extra support on top of our normal 15,000 - 20,000 home gate were at Selhurst to see the opposition or big name players of the day.

New LP
01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Only thing I remember coming from the chicken run that day was 'If Thomas plays for England so do I' :D

I also remember a 100 year old Alvin Martin getting dogs abuse and giving the away end the finger.

tony 1947
01-04-2016, 01:55 PM
A last minute goal by David Payne on Feb 19 1972 which got a valuable 1-1 draw

EagleSE24
01-04-2016, 01:58 PM

That's my memory too. I was in with the West Ham fans and left about 15mins early to beat the rush.

Never would have guessed we'd be the ones to get promoted that season.

Maidstoned Eagle
01-04-2016, 01:58 PM
I used to go to see them with some West ham supporting mates, if Palace were playing away. had some fun.

I was there when the lights went out too...and for the awful re-scheduled match.

DocSavage
01-04-2016, 03:32 PM
I've just checked, and he was indeed. Two goals for Neil Mellor as well! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/3139834.stm

I realised what was going to happen as the players aimlessly warmed up and kember wandered around on his own looking at his watch and stadium clock!!!!

ElwissAtMemphis
01-04-2016, 09:23 PM
This took a bit of rummaging around to find. A slightly Antipodean slant on events.

AOXsB_cfzso

"Palace steal the lead at Upton Park" my hole.

ElwissAtMemphis
01-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Another one...

APAtP4s5zDk

"Shipperley ... he can't stop scoring !!!" Yes he can.

ElwissAtMemphis
01-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Possibly the least enjoyable evening out watching Palace out of an extensive list of nominees. We were poor but why the locals felt such desperation to kick the shit out of us after such a lame capitulation I don't know.

9aHBGQn9huY

Typical Palace
01-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Apparently on August 13 1989 was the Alan Devonshire Testimonial at Upton Park. That was the first time I went there, for this pre-season game. In my mind I'd though it was earlier.

My over riding memory was not of Devonshire's pubescent moustache but of the older Palace fan, known by the monicker 'Willie Thorne' having a go at the West Ham fans next tot he away end pre match and being proudly bundled over into our end to cheers. The likening to the snooker player was uncanny, and, as was typical at the time, he was representative of a bit crap hooliganism.

I also remember the Neil Mellor match, which I think ruined my birthday. Palace were dreadful, with an auditioning Mullins about the only bright spark. Mellor I recall was feuding with a team mate (can't remember who - anyone?) and they conspicuously failed to celebrate together despite being both involved in at least one of the goals. I seem to think it was a strike partner. Mellor had been a Gerrard period Liverpool player, who, it was becoming apparent was actually crap. I think they may have been his first goals, either for a long time, or ever for WH.

I think of West Ham as a similar sized club as us for periods in our history. Certainly I think of the as having an unwarranted superiority complex over us. But in recent years they have had big crowds compared to us and infrastructure wise are well ahead and next year will be eons apart.

I see West Ham as being where Palace could've been but for the periods of administration that each set us back years.

I also remember a 0-0 that we were slightly fortunate to get a draw from, and being impressed by Mark Noble, who even then was their Hometown Boy. After the game BFS was an absolute disgrace, trying to ridicule my suggestion that, although the West Ham fans had given him a hard time, at least they'd waited till half time and full time (as in they backed the team during play despite their beef with Sam). The arrogant fat headed brown envelope chaser tried to make out a fair point defending the fans was the most ridiculous piece of nonsense you'd ever heard and the sycophantic Hammers Fleet Street brigade lapped it up.

Although West Ham have always had a mafia of Fleet Street hacks (who can forget Martin Samuels 'Match Report' of the 2004 PO Final, which simply consisted of him rounding on the WH board and putting the East End to rights, barely mentioning the game) we now have our own little coterie of Palace Journos in increasingly high places. I'm thinking Neil Ashton, Dom Fifield, Ed Aarons. Whatever happened to Andrew Fifield? He was a really talented writer too.

palaceporky
01-04-2016, 11:30 PM
1971 - 2? first away game I can remember, taken by the old man. Had no idea how we got there or got home but just remembered Clyde Best and standing in an area where the pitch was much higher than where we were standing. Or was it because I was little? Think it was 1 -1? Or 0-0.:moo: