PDA

View Full Version : 40 Years ago today - 3 April 1976

Sam Spade
03-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Stamford Bridge. Rodrigues Boyer Channon etc ruined my 19 year old life. Loathed Southampton ever since. All those there that horrible day say Aye.

Supa Pard
03-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Same here.
I've never forgiven Southampton since. Hate em.

nibalama
03-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Aye. Most depressing day in my Palace supporting life.

Ruskin Old Boy
03-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Aye.

(Though the dislike went back to a League Cup match back in October 1964 when Terry Paine fouled and kicked his way through 90 minutes. The ref bottled sending him off - instead sent off Martin Chivers for an innocuous tackle.)

elgrande
03-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I agree....never forgive them for blatantly kicking the shit out of Taylor, deliberate tactic.

MAX
03-04-2016, 12:19 PM
I agree....never forgive them for blatantly kicking the shit out of Taylor, deliberate tactic.

This is spot on, exactly what they did.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
04-04-2016, 05:28 AM
40 years ,where the hell did it go? Really thought we were going to do it. Someone in the Bricklayers Arms in Sydenham has my fedora where I gave it away in a state of booze, tears and disappointment . That really should have been us back then. First div 3 team to make the cup final. Peter ******* Rodriugez.

wighteagle
04-04-2016, 05:56 AM
Aye, it doesn't seem possible that it was 40 years ago. Hated Southampton ever since. Nearly threw the computer though the window when l was checking what's on at the Mayflower theatre in Southampton recently. I saw a listing "The day we won the cup" with a picture of Rodrigues et al. It ruined my day - 40 years on and it still hurts.

Del Fenner
04-04-2016, 05:57 AM
Was on school trip to Germany. Worst moment up till then following Palace (worse to come. Oldham....)

LONDONMAN
04-04-2016, 09:21 AM
1976 was such a great year in general, the Cup run Palace were on is still easily the greatest set of matches I can remember, travelling to Leeds, Chelsea and Sunderland, all in front of massive crowds, with big Palace away support.

We have possibly beaten stronger opposition this season, as back then Chelsea and Sunderland were in Division Two and although Leeds were robbed of a European Cup win in Paris in 1975, I guess you could compare the very good Spurs team we beat in 2016 to the 76 Leeds side who were about to break up after dominating much of the early 70's in the League and Cup.

But back in 1976, Palace were in Division Three and to beat those sides when our League fixtures included the likes of Halifax, Chester, Grimsby etc many of whom are playing non-league football 40 years on shows that the 76 Cup run stands like a monument in Palace history.

I was 12 years old back then, just starting on my journey as a Palace fan, having started to
watch regularly from 1974/75

I had seen all the Cup ties except the one at Scarborough, where Big Mal wore the fedora for the first time. The whole thing took off from there really, perhaps it threw Palace off the main thing, which was getting Promotion which we were walking away with at the start of 1975/76, so shades of this season too with our great form throughout 2015!

My 13th birthday was just days after that Semi-Final with Southampton what a tough introduction to being a teenager! The one present I really wanted was a trip to Wembley to watch Palace in the Cup Final.

It certainly has taught me a lesson for life, never expect to get exactly what you want and as far as supporting Palace goes, you will get equal amounts of joy, misery, suffering and elation in one season, sometimes in one game, just look at Saturday v West Ham!

The pain of the defeat at Stamford Bridge v Southampton has never truly gone away, it is a pain I have shared with so many other Palace fans who remember that game and yes, Southampton are also a team and a group of fans I have loathed ever since.

It didn't help to ease the pain when I found out recently that Mel Blyth, who was a former Palace hero from the 1969 promotion year a great centre back who left to join Southampton in 74, was the man who when asked by Peter Rodrigues, who was the main Palace threat, pointed out Peter Taylor and so Rodrigues made sure he kicked him out of the tie as soon as possible.

Obviously, Blyth is still very happy about this (and his Cup winners medal and visit to Wembley in 1976), having said so in the programme when we visited Southampton in the Third Round this year. At least we have knocked them out two years running on their own pitch. but the pain of that day in April 1976 will never really go away.

Let's have a little tribute to that great squad though, Hammond, Wall, Jump, Jeffries, Jeff Johnson, Holder, Cannon, Evans, Whittle, Swindlehurst, Chatterton and of course, the great Peter Taylor.

Odd that both Taylor and Venables, who was just starting as a coach at Palace under Big Mal at that time, are not so greatly loved now, because of the pain they brought us in subsequent years - back then, they were real heroes!

kabbott
04-04-2016, 09:45 AM
The high at Stamford Bridge for the St Valentine's Day Massacre (in more ways than one :rolleyes:) just made the defeat against Southampton three months later even harder to swallow. We were in Division 3 and favourites to win the game. At the time it was said we lost it 'cos Big Mal didn't accept the home changing room (or something like that).
I've never seen so many grown men crying when we left the ground. :(
PS I loved Derek Jeffries and Jeff Johnson who were never really in the limelight.

Maidstoned Eagle
04-04-2016, 10:00 AM
I was supposed to go to that match with my cousin and brother in law, but after the trouble at Stamford Bridge for the Chelsea game my mum wouldn't let me (I was 10). I remember being in the garden and my dad shouting down the final score to me.

I walked into his shed, cried like a baby and late my dad found me hammering loads of nails into a big piece of wood in frustration.

PIE "N" MASH
04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
1976, the year I started my lifetime trip with Palace.Blimey, it's been a roller coaster ride.Would'nt change a thing.40 years, christ it makes you wonder where it's gone:D

Palace Dan
04-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Stamford Bridge. Rodrigues Boyer Channon etc ruined my 19 year old life. Loathed Southampton ever since. All those there that horrible day say Aye.

My very first game as a Palace fan too - not a very enjoyable one though!

gold76
04-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Will soon be hitting the big 40- frightening sometimes. Not just the life journey, the Palace journey.

Why do we put ourselves through it?

I think it's when we have though rare highs- ALMOST make the lows worth it..

I'm hoping 40 years on- this April, it will be a different result

READING EAGLE
04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
dad took my sister and me with a friend of mine, brought tickets of a tout and we sat in the Southampton end. Like Lodonman it was my birthday (9) a few days later. My 23rd Birthday (1990) was so much better when we beat Liverpool.

Sluggo
04-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I was 13 and went with my dad. I remember queue-ing to get in with hundreds of other Palace fans and two blokes wearing red & white scarves appeared, making their way through the throng ('scuse me .... ta .... 'scuse me ... cheers ...). There was a strange kind of silence as they passed by but nothing happened (which given this was 1976, and a football match, almost incredible!)
I remember standing up at the back of the terraces looking down on the game. And Big Mals fedora and trench coat.

Like so many have said, I've never liked Southampton since, (which is ironic given where I live now) but the main focus of my ire was Lawrie McMenemy ... hated the bloke!

mart63
04-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Not sure why, but I got bad vibes as soon as I saw Southampton fans had been given the Shed end.

Hal Low
04-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Aye.

(Though the dislike went back to a League Cup match back in October 1964 when Terry Paine fouled and kicked his way through 90 minutes. The ref bottled sending him off - instead sent off Martin Chivers for an innocuous tackle.)

And up went the cry "Cheers for Chivers".

But back to the main topic. The main focus of our venom should be the FA. They were so worried about the effect Big Mal had when he came on the pitch before the game to give the opposing fans the thumbs down that they banned him from doing in it the semi.

Had he not been banned we would have won. If you weren't there you won't understand. Just take it from me.

By the way - Aye.

big bad John
04-04-2016, 07:11 PM
the whole day was anti-climatic. Even the weather didn't quite feel right. After the dangerous back streets of Millwall, the winds of Scarborough and the fearsome dark, cold alleyways of Leeds and Sunderland a sunny Stamford Bridge just didn't feel like you wanted a semi final to feel. It was t-shirt, not sheepskin weather, with the sun getting in some early practice for the summer of 76 that lay ahead.
Also, having a quick pint in your local and then jumping on a 49 bus for a forty minute ride to the Kings Road just wasn't what you wanted from your pre-match semi final experience. I would have preferred a tie in a real traditional sem-final arena like Villa Park or Hillsborough with a bit of mud on the pitch and a bite in the air to remind you that winter was still around. Places where you could have a few hours before hand to Psyche yourself up on the coach and a few hours afterwards to celebrate or drown your sorrows. An hour after the match, I was back in Thornton Heath along with many others, just staring at the walls of our various local watering holes, feeling totally shattered and sorry for ourselves; All our plans to celebrate in every pub on the Kings Road had gone out the window, just like our dreams of Wembley. A total anti-climax.

Hedgehog
04-04-2016, 07:14 PM
I bring it up every year, but this is probably the closes I ever came to crying over Palace and I was 20! I didn't BTW.

I knew that day I would never see Palace play at Wembley, and to this day I have not.

DocSavage
04-04-2016, 07:47 PM
but it was a lively post match if I recall and only time I recall getting the better of the cunard waiters

Lee sinnots ear
04-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Went to every game and the semi had a boat trip organized by Maurice Drewit AKA Mole planned to celebrate our win to the final. Well what a horrible anti climax that was!!

Talking of Maurice I spoke to someone who said he was no longer with us could someone PM me if they should know the situation cheers

KYLIE MINEAGLE
05-04-2016, 10:05 AM
the whole day was anti-climatic. Even the weather didn't quite feel right. After the dangerous back streets of Millwall, the winds of Scarborough and the fearsome dark, cold alleyways of Leeds and Sunderland a sunny Stamford Bridge just didn't feel like you wanted a semi final to feel. It was t-shirt, not sheepskin weather, with the sun getting in some early practice for the summer of 76 that lay ahead.
Also, having a quick pint in your local and then jumping on a 49 bus for a forty minute ride to the Kings Road just wasn't what you wanted from your pre-match semi final experience. I would have preferred a tie in a real traditional sem-final arena like Villa Park or Hillsborough with a bit of mud on the pitch and a bite in the air to remind you that winter was still around. Places where you could have a few hours before hand to Psyche yourself up on the coach and a few hours afterwards to celebrate or drown your sorrows. An hour after the match, I was back in Thornton Heath along with many others, just staring at the walls of our various local watering holes, feeling totally shattered and sorry for ourselves; All our plans to celebrate in every pub on the Kings Road had gone out the window, just like our dreams of Wembley. A total anti-climax.

Well as I said did not celebrate but got totally pissed. As I remember was supposed to go to a perty that night. Staggered down Sydenham road with Mick Price and a party 7 (or the Youngs equivelant) Mick lived up one of the Thorps off of Mayo road so buggerd off. I made it home to Kenthouse road. Now I am not sure where my folks were but they were obviously away. I woke up the following morning with the front door wide open and the dog sitting next to the party 7 on the front step. I also had a massive hang over .

Glad Lad
05-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Listen Friends !! 69 years ago TODAY I made my first visit to Selhurst. April 5 1947... . 68bus ride from South Croydon, old West Stand with my dad, Division 3 South and manager, Jack Butler. Look away now if you don't want to know the score OK? It was CPFC 0 Norwich City 1. I told you to look away. Anyone else remember their first visit?

Neil the Eagle
05-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Ha! Nice one John... always good to see you on the BBS

djncpfc
05-04-2016, 12:11 PM
"Hammond Grabs Ya Balls" was the banner that was waved from the back of the crowd the only good memory of that day.

Eagle El
05-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Aye - remember the burning fedoras on the terraces and walking over the bridge over the Thames listening to my mate Joe saying "Just think, a couple of hours ago we were all happy and laughing..." Grrr!

gcwhite
05-04-2016, 07:46 PM
I remember it well as it was my 25th birthday. Seems like yesterday forty years ago.

smudgerseagles
05-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Everything about that day felt wrong - especially after the high of beating Chelsea there a few weeks beforehand.

And that bloody Saints song still makes me fell sick every time i hear it

Supa Pard
05-04-2016, 07:57 PM
My older brother and his mates had booked a riverboat disco down The Thames for them and their girlfriends after the game. They still went but the moon had more atmosphere than that boat.

Les Butler
05-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Where did those years go...17 year old kid..

hatter8142
05-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Aye and I was 19 as well.

DocSavage
05-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Everything about that day felt wrong - especially after the high of beating Chelsea there a few weeks beforehand.

And that bloody Saints song still makes me fell sick every time i hear it

for me it was not getting the shed end that big empty end, packed as it was never got rocking

gcwhite
05-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Getting tickets for an FA Cup Semi Final was a lot simpler in those days. No sodding around with phases, you just queued up at Selhurst Park for about 10 hours.

DocSavage
06-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Getting tickets for an FA Cup Semi Final was a lot simpler in those days. No sodding around with phases, you just queued up at Selhurst Park for about 10 hours.

fun wasn't it and so much fairer

you wanted tickets you got up early took party 7 and waited

DocSavage
06-04-2016, 05:44 PM
:lux:

big bad John
06-04-2016, 06:12 PM
:lux:

Didn't we open them with a tin opener? The empties always came in handy on those long toilet-less coach journeys oop north:)

Martinsleftpeg
12-04-2016, 10:25 PM

Aye. Some great posts on here and that game will never be obliterated from my memory. like others I was in my early twenties and was convinced we'd be the first third division club in the Final and winning it was a foregone conclusion so to lose was a heartbreaker and I'll never forget or forgive Rodrigues who was Leeds like in his cynicism. Strange that we seem to play Southampton in end of season games which stick in the memory such as 1971 when we lost 0-6 at the Dell, the Higinbotham nightmare goal in 2005 and now we play them last game this season so I bloody well hope we are safe because the FAC wins in the last 2 years will mean bugger all if we need a point and don't get it. I still hate them now after all these years too.

Away Day Eagle
13-04-2016, 12:17 AM
It didn't help to ease the pain when I found out recently that Mel Blyth, who was a former Palace hero from the 1969 promotion year a great centre back who left to join Southampton in 74, was the man who when asked by Peter Rodrigues, who was the main Palace threat, pointed out Peter Taylor and so Rodrigues made sure he kicked him out of the tie as soon as possible.

Mel Blythe took a further and absolute diabolical liberty out of us, J.

When I challenged him on the Semi Final and the role that he had played, he admitted being at our training ground, as a Southampton player, only a few days before the game and was fully aware of Taylor's injury. His sole purpose of this visit was to inform his then current club of the position. To add insult to injury he laughed at us and told us that the game had been "men against boys".

Over the years, we have had some of the most ridiculous owners, players and managers you could ever wish to imagine. However, that really is truly disrespectful, bear in mind that he was dining out club's hospitality, a mere hour or so before. PT's only real problem that he was such an awful manager but boy could he play, and I can't bring myself to say the other c-word's name that you mention.

How much more significant would have been a Cup Final in 1976 than in 1990 for the Club ? It's worthy of consideration.

yorkpalace
13-04-2016, 01:08 AM
When we got to selhurst the day the tickets were on sale , the queue went on forever we thought were not going to get a ticket, so my uncle who was driving suggested we went over to Stamford Bridge where we bought three tickets without having to queue the only problem was they were for the away end.
Being in the Southampton end was bad enough but the crush trying to get out of the shed end on final whistle was terrifying, being pushed up against corrigated metal fencing still haunts me now ,how anybody wasn't seriously hurt I never know so not a very good day at all.

cdm61
13-04-2016, 02:11 AM
I was 15 and wore a butchers coat with a self painted Eagle on the back...the day was wrong from the start having the wrong end ie not the Shed end and no way of getting an atmosphere and we simply ran out of steam

Selhurst300
16-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Remember that painful day. Still think their penalty was given for a foul outside the area.
Remember having a kick around on some scrubland after the game.

ammiller
19-04-2016, 10:04 AM
It wasn't all bad news that day.

Brotherhood of Man won the Eurovision Song Contest that day.

Duffle Coat
19-04-2016, 10:15 AM
I bring it up every year, but this is probably the closes I ever came to crying over Palace and I was 20! I didn't BTW.

I knew that day I would never see Palace play at Wembley, and to this day I have not.
I think you will have a final to see this year. If we make it and it is Moan, I think, I'll pull out all the stops to see it. That would be sensational and I believe we would win it. Go for it Hedgehog!

Duffle Coat
19-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Like everyone else on here, I was devastated by the loss. I lived in Ireland then and could only follow the match via updates on World of Sport. Though, I was 15, I think I lost it. I remember my friends thinking it was a bit of a hoot seeing me so upset about it. Mind you, this semi-final wasn't my worst experience following Palace from afar. Oldham was death by a million cuts but for sheer agony, defeat at Cardiff for relegation to the old division three would take some beating. When people bleat on here about Palace this and Palace that this season, I merely shrug. It takes something really nuts to put yourself through the wringer waiting for a radio announcer to tell you that your favourite club has just been relegated for the second season in a row.

KYLIE MINEAGLE
19-04-2016, 11:03 AM

and Rag Trade won the Grand National . I would have gladly forgone my winnings for a trip to Wembley.:sob:

Al From Bromley
21-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I was convinced Palace were going to win the cup that year, particularly after I'd gone to Sunderland and Chelsea and seen them win. Southampton seemed the lesser of the three evils in terms of opponents yet in a pretty drab affair they somehow nicked two goals. The journey home was a miserable one, made even more so by being accosted by some Arsenal fans on the train who were after my scarf.

Supa Pard
21-04-2016, 12:12 PM

I still hum that to this day.
Sing it sometimes too.

palacemetros
05-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Aye. The abiding memory for me was looking down on the sea of red & blue when I walked in. That was the good bit.

But that bloody song... Hate it!

Chocky
06-06-2016, 04:09 PM
That was my first season supporting Palace. My first heartbreak. I had to get used to it because there have been many bastard heartbreaks since. Been a while since the last one though. Albeit two weeks. BASTARD.

Still, better than being Brighton, Millwall or Charlton.