PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years Ago Today! ZDS Cup Winners!

Ismale
07-04-2016, 05:06 AM
Wembley Stadium
Sunday April 7th 1991
Attendance 52,460.
Crystal Palace 4 Everton 1.AET
Thomas 67. Warzycha 69.
Wright 101.115.
Salako 113.

25 Years ago today since we won our,so far! 1 & only 'major' trophy! :lux:

Give us your memories of the day,the match & how it felt when Geoff went up,to lift the Zenith Cup! :love: :lux:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=20&pictureid=45

Dorking .Eagle
07-04-2016, 05:14 AM
Knew in our hearts it was second best to the FA Cup but just wanted to win the Final to make up for the year before.

One again there was a ton of balloons, and a heck of a lot of people with the year before's FA cup final hats and scarves etc.

It was all rather familiar really, like a bit of a routine. We definitely deserved to win it, and it was a big battle of muscle with the likes of Gray, Keown and Eric Young.

Think we sold 33,000 tickets, which was nice for anyone who went without a ticket for the original final the year before (although if you were determined there were ways to buy your way up the pecking order for the 1990 final)

'When Geoff goes up to lift the Zenith Cup' was a hastily arranged rewrite of the year before's song, and we got to sing it as he went up the steps.

Oh and the pitch still had American football markings hardly cleaned off from a game the day before!

Night Eagle
07-04-2016, 05:20 AM
Didn't Neville Southall also refuse to collect his medal. I seem to remember him throwing a fit at the end. Great day.

AJ8
07-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Didn't Neville Southall also refuse to collect his medal. I seem to remember him throwing a fit at the end. Great day.

He sat against one of the goalposts at half time and didn't go in if I remember right

Dorking .Eagle
07-04-2016, 06:13 AM
Sat at his goalpost at the end of extra time and refused to collect his medal. Papers called him Neville 'Sulk-hall'

Had a bit more of a think about it, and it was a weird feeling really. It was the 4th visit to Wembley in 4 years (if you include the Centenary tournament) (or 3rd in 2 if you don't), and it didn't have a tremendous aura around it if I'm being honest.

In our hearts we knew it wasn't as big a deal as the FA Cup the year before, and tickets were dead easy to get - Everton sold about half their allocation and there were huge empty swathes around Wembley. Anyone really could get a ticket with no hassle, and some for their mates too!

A bit like this years semi final in some ways, that the first visit 'under the arch' was only 3 years ago so most of us did it then, and we all know it's not the final.

However, it really was a super-power of a Palace team, we were 3rd in the league, and we wanted them to win something to show for their great season. Several players were in or around the England team, we were above the likes of Man United, Chelsea were not the billionaire team, we could beat most teams we faced on our day (apart from Arsenal who we always lost to!) and going into the game we were quite likely to win it, not off-form underdogs or anything. Wright and Bright had had a great season, and it was a real match winning side.

In some ways it was like a kid winning sports day and getting a cheap trophy or medal - hardly the County Finals if you know what I mean.

Shipsisourking
07-04-2016, 06:29 AM
Great day and loved everything about it. We just partied from waking up till falling asleep after far to many beers.

Didn't give a shite then that it was a small cup and dont give a shite now, we won the ****** :)

AddiscombeEagle
07-04-2016, 06:42 AM
A great day with a great team. A team that deserved to lift a trophy at Wembley regardless of what competition it was.

Loafster
07-04-2016, 07:01 AM
Yeh great day
Although had to google who we beat on the way there-
included Brighton, Chelski and Boro

N Herts Eagle
07-04-2016, 07:22 AM
As a team that year we were unstoppable on many occasions, unfortunately the F A Cup was not one of those, a very long drawn out third round against Forest, (the last time we played a second replay I think) not helped by the weather , was as far as we got. Having beat Bristol Rovers before Christmas, we then beat some tesco bag wearing side in February at there place. A home game a week or so latter against Luton and we through to the semi finals. I am sure I should have stories about the early rounds but they really played no significant part in our season, it was not anything unusual we been here before losing to Forest.
There was though a difference the semi final two legged affair was televised by Sky against Norwich we came away with a 1-1 draw from there. It was not the slick operation of today Sky were desperate to get any football on, but had only a couple of channels on the new TV service but we featured. The semi final second leg I went too , it was a night when Alan Pardew put on Billys Boots hero from Villa Park, his performance that night at Selhurst was up there as one of the performances of his career, seriously he was great set up both goals that night, we blew Norwich away 2-0.
Now to Wembley but lets be honest it was not the same for a start no going to the ground and queuing through the night for a ticket, I could of done but pretty lonely if I had. I seem to remember walking up and buying a couple no worries. It sticks out in my mind the guy I went to football with since 1970 missed the final at Wembley he was older than me and time was catching up with him, over the years we had dreamed of seeing Palace play there , and we did that day. By the next time we got there life for both of us had changed dramatically health wise and this was the only occasion we both saw us play there. It was just a great day of celebration , celebrating being Palace fans, we far outnumbered Everton , lets be honest from them going to Wembley was no big deal, they had been there what three times in recent years. The team onl showed one difference from that we reel off as the great side Eddie was on the subs bench and Alan Pardew played in his place. Garry Thompson was the other. Now I can tell you kick by kick the great games in our career every goal etched in my memory. Not this one we won at a canter in extra time though before that it was a tight game but we out classed them as the game went on. It was tough brusing game that led to the bad blood between Young and Keown. Geoff scored they equalised very quickly, then in injury time Ian Wright twice and Salako a header no less finished them off. But to me it was not the game Geoff going up to lift the Cup. It was about celebrating what was so good about being a Palace fan in those days a team that played great football scored goals for fun backed by supporters who had seen us rise from the dour 80's and into the sunshine of the 90's made it back and taken it a step beyond. The nightmares to follow were not even dreamed about, this was our greatest side ever we won a Cup, mickey mouse maybe but it was going to be a start to greater glories. Ok as a Palace fan a few months latter it was falling apart but not that day that day was ours that day we owned Wembley and showed what support was what we were Proud and Loud unbeaten by setbacks of the past.

Dorking .Eagle
07-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Br*ghton in the second round was quality. Pretty sure it was the day of the Victoria bomb as the trains were a bit hit and miss. Wright and Bright scored in extra time and there was a mini pitch invasion and 'scenes we don't want to see' ;)

Palace fans weren't in any way snobbish about it by the way, we took thousands to Forest midweek a couple of years before when we got to our first semi final since 1976

BaldEagle96
07-04-2016, 08:44 AM
What am amazing day that was and what an amazing season and what an amazing team!! Loved by most of the country and an awesome time being a Palace fan!! Happy, happy days!

prizesucker
07-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Br*ghton in the second round was quality. Pretty sure it was the day of the Victoria bomb as the trains were a bit hit and miss. Wright and Bright scored in extra time and there was a mini pitch invasion and 'scenes we don't want to see' ;)

Sadly no footage exists of this triumph :(

Glaws Eagle
07-04-2016, 09:00 AM
" ... bad blood between Young and Keown"

That's the bit I recall ... Monkey Face had blood all over him IIRC

Liverpool Echo picks up the story ...

A powerful, imposing central defender when Everton went to Wembley in 1991 for the Zenith Data Systems Cup Final, Keown left the celebrated pitch on a stretcher seeing stars.

An uncompromising Crystal Palace side which contained monolithic individuals like Eric Young, Andy Thorn and Garry Thompson, plus current Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, walked up the Wembley steps to collect the silverware – while Keown was having his face stitched back up in the Wembley hospital.

“If that match had been played today the authorities would have thrown the book at the players involved,” he said. “It was blatant off the ball ... well, let’s just say I was stretchered off and didn’t see any of extra time. But fortunately Wembley has its own hospital.”

Dorking .Eagle
07-04-2016, 09:03 AM
What am amazing day that was and what an amazing season and what an amazing team!! Loved by most of the country and an awesome time being a Palace fan!! Happy, happy days!

I don't know about 'loved by most of the country' to be fair. I remember an article in "90 minutes" magazine around that time entitled "Why does everyone hate Crystal Palace all of a sudden?"

It mostly centred around players like Thorn, Young, Gray and Thomas being prepared to fight and kick the sh!t out of anyone who took us on physically!

There was also a billboard campaign around that time advertising something or other and it took the mick out of us for being 'long ball'. We were considered the successors to Wimbledon! I remember Pete King in the Palace Publications Department, coming back at it with a mocked up retort.

It's not vastly different to people now saying Leicester must be doping, too many clackers and gimmicks etc. People will soon get bored of 'underdog Leicester' and become envious.

racehorse-80s
07-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Great game and day out and really weird seeing one half of Wembley totally Palace and the Everton end only a quarter full .

Radders
07-04-2016, 09:14 AM
I hated the old Wembley, the prices and the view. As I was fairly skint around that time I had a choice. Sunderland away the week before or Wembley. As we had already had a few trips to the twin towers in the surrounding years, of which I attended all, I decided to have a trip to Roker Park before it was knocked down and froze my goolys off on the terrace with a few hundred other Palace fans and witnessed a dazzling 2-1 defeat, a certain Mr Pardew scoring our goal. As good as the Everton win was, dont regret my choice.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-04-2016, 09:17 AM
" ... bad blood between Young and Keown"

That's the bit I recall ... Monkey Face had blood all over him IIRC

Liverpool Echo picks up the story ...

A powerful, imposing central defender when Everton went to Wembley in 1991 for the Zenith Data Systems Cup Final, Keown left the celebrated pitch on a stretcher seeing stars.

An uncompromising Crystal Palace side which contained monolithic individuals like Eric Young, Andy Thorn and Garry Thompson, plus current Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, walked up the Wembley steps to collect the silverware – while Keown was having his face stitched back up in the Wembley hospital.

“If that match had been played today the authorities would have thrown the book at the players involved,” he said. “It was blatant off the ball ... well, let’s just say I was stretchered off and didn’t see any of extra time. But fortunately Wembley has its own hospital.”
Before anyone sheds too many tears for Keown, he did take matters into his own hands at SP not long after

Jim Cannon
07-04-2016, 09:25 AM
This was a Cup that we were destined to win. After losing in a semi final to Forest (1989) and an area final to Chelsea (1990) this simply had to be our year. IIRC the famous Kelvin Morton made a sensational return to Selhurst (after previously awarding us the 4 pens v Brighton), for the tie against Luton. Old Kelvin again did himself proud, this time flashing red cards to both players and staff of Luton helping us on our way. Probably the most popular ref ever seen at selhurst.

Once we reached the Final, it was a great day out and though it will never make up for the disappointment of losing in the FA Cup the year before, the least the side we had at the time deserved was to win a trophy.

prizesucker
07-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Can re-live the footage here :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEsYvL07mbQ

Latvian Eagle
07-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Yeh great day
Although had to google who we beat on the way there-
included Brighton, Chelski and Boro

Not sure what you are looking at but we played Bristol Rovers, Brighton, Luton and then Norwich to make the Final.

We wouldn't have played Boro as the competition was split in to North and South until the final.

jaspercpfc
07-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Bubbs has a superb recording from Capital Gold Sport on his YT page.
I remember going to Croydon on the Saturday and they street sellers dotted around the town flogging various ZDS merchandise and being a kid I came home decked in top to toe. Great day, great memories is it really 25 years ago :(

jaspercpfc
07-04-2016, 11:35 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3775/13682960643_fe451da87d_m.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/10/21/00008A6C00000C1D-3118946-image-m-29_1433968750360.jpg

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/forum/userpix/2317_CPFC_ZDS_Winners_1991_1.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2881/13339776955_06b00850ea_b.jpg

http://images.cdn.fourfourtwo.com/sites/fourfourtwo.com/files/styles/inline-image/public/1991palace.jpg?itok=Al6sfJ3H

Here's Southall watch on :p
http://i1.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article3254476.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/neville-southall-declines-to-get-his-zenith-data-systems-cup-runners-up-medal-in-1991-52754759.jpg

Breaking rocks
07-04-2016, 12:09 PM
Geoff Thomas smashing Martin Keown into the back of the net is my most vivid memory :)

Dorking .Eagle
07-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Luton 4-1, Middlesboro (quarter final) and the Forest semi was 1989

Jim Cannon
07-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Luton 4-1, Middlesboro (quarter final) and the Forest semi was 1989

yup, but more importantly, 3-1 in 1991 as well:p

N Herts Eagle
07-04-2016, 05:20 PM
This was a Cup that we were destined to win. After losing in a semi final to Forest (1989) and an area final to Chelsea (1990) this simply had to be our year. IIRC the famous Kelvin Morton made a sensational return to Selhurst (after previously awarding us the 4 pens v Brighton), for the tie against Luton. Old Kelvin again did himself proud, this time flashing red cards to both players and staff of Luton helping us on our way. Probably the most popular ref ever seen at selhurst.

Once we reached the Final, it was a great day out and though it will never make up for the disappointment of losing in the FA Cup the year before, the least the side we had at the time deserved was to win a trophy. This is going back to memory but think it was the season before a 4-1 win, 2 players and the assistant manager sent off for Luton........oh and Ian Dowie played for them that night. I was working then with a few guys that knew him.

Pistol Knight
07-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Can re-live the footage here :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEsYvL07mbQ

Glad some sorted the tracking out on that VHS :D

[QUOTE=jaspercpfc;12914657]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3775/13682960643_fe451da87d_m.jpg
I still have that!!

and still have one of these http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/Pistol_Knight/Football/palacewear002.jpg

:D:D

Also was it really today, I was there...........its my wedding anniversary today, didnt take the wife to the game :D I had been married 3yrs and pissed off to football :D

gold76
07-04-2016, 08:15 PM
I was 14 at the time- watched the game on Sky.

I was at the bristol Rovers home game selling programs, I think I sold 27- which earned me 27p, it was ******* freezing too- I think we were losing, but won 2-1 in the end.

Again Pardew's best ever game was in the semi's against Norwich.

Andy Gray was sadly missing in hospital for the team pic at the end-I had that on my wall for years!

jaspercpfc
07-04-2016, 08:23 PM
and still have one of these http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/Pistol_Knight/Football/palacewear002.jpg

That was my favourite Palace item as a kid, absolute loved it. It's still a beautiful item