PDA

View Full Version : Unusual kick off times

Staines Eagle
15-04-2016, 10:56 PM
I have just been moving a box of programmes, that had outstayed their welcome in one part of the house, to another room where they can lie unencumbered for another ten years or so.:supergrin:

This process usually takes: about 4 minutes to move the programmes and then a good couple of hours leafing through them.

Whilst doing this I came across a programme for Wimbledon away 4/11/1984, which was a Sunday, with a k.o time of 11:15am.

I have no recollection of this game but this k.o. time seems very unusual?

Can anyone throw any light on this or indeed any other examples of "unusual" k.o. times?

Dorking .Eagle
16-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Midday kick off away at Rotherham (but it went towards qualifying for a Br*ghton away ticket so a decent turnout despite it being on tv!)

Similar at Oldham away which was also on tv

6pm Sunday night away at Stockport (tv)

Biggest annoyance for me is moving a Saturday away fixture to a Monday night, as happened with Everton away this season.

TV as you can see is the common theme.

Sunderland fans have kopped a Monday night game at ours two seasons running, and also had a midday kick off at ours one Boxing Day, due to having to take over Swindon's fixtures when Swindon were demoted.

Older fans will recall Tooting and Mitcham away in the FA Cup being a Wednesday afternoon - numerous tales of bunking off school as a crowd of 10,000 was there!

Maidstoned Eagle
16-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Wasn't there an away game at Orient at something like 10am on a Saturday?

old git
16-04-2016, 02:42 PM
Brighton on New Year's Day some time in the 80's kicked off at 11.30 I think.

Jim Cannon
16-04-2016, 02:45 PM
I can recall a Sunday match v Fulham in early 80s that kicked off either lunchtime or earlier. Before days of live matches on TV

bestperch
18-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Despite Gildo and Chris's best efforts the train party didn't get to that Oldham game till about half hour after kick off.

Bizarro
18-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Sunderland fans have kopped a Monday night game at ours two seasons running, and also had a midday kick off at ours one Boxing Day, due to having to take over Swindon's fixtures when Swindon were demoted.

Was that the reason for boxing day? I remember it happening thinking this is mental, but never realised they'd taken Swindon ' s fixtures. Finally makes sense 25 years later.

Dorking .Eagle
18-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Yep as soon as Swindon won the play offs, the fixture man got to work.

About 10 days later (when presumably he'd done them) Swindon got demoted and Play off final losers Sunderland took their place in the old 1st division, but also just took over their fixtures, which were largely alright apart from Boxing Day when the fixture man tries to give local-ish pairings, which was no good for Sunderland! Also in those days the Met Police liked boxing day games in London to be 12 noon ko's !!!

Swoonara
18-04-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm sure we had an 11.00 ko against BORO on good Friday 1969 which was followed by a match against Pompey the next day.

NYEagle
18-04-2016, 07:47 PM

About 10 days later (when presumably he'd done them) Swindon got demoted and Play off final losers Sunderland took their place in the old 1st division, but also just took over their fixtures, which were largely alright apart from Boxing Day when the fixture man tries to give local-ish pairings, which was no good for Sunderland! Also in those days the Met Police liked boxing day games in London to be 12 noon ko's !!!

Remember walking into Glaziers (?) as it opened to find many Sunderland fans already in there. Spoke with some of their fans and the coaches picked them up from 5pm on Christmas Day and dropped them at Selhurst Park at 9am. The weather was diabolical and Palace opened up the bars to them.

RobertCPFC
18-04-2016, 08:43 PM
When we played Villa two years ago the kick off was put back seven minutes because of the Hillsborough anniversary to 3:07. I can't think of any other games where the kick off time has not ended in a 0 or 5.

JJ
19-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Remember walking into Glaziers (?) as it opened to find many Sunderland fans already in there. Spoke with some of their fans and the coaches picked them up from 5pm on Christmas Day and dropped them at Selhurst Park at 9am. The weather was diabolical and Palace opened up the bars to them.

We won 1-0 iirc. They had a crappy blue and yellow kit and I think the half decent Michael Gray playing fir them, but I might have just imagined that.

Far East Eagle
19-04-2016, 07:20 AM

why were they demoted?

Maidstoned Eagle
19-04-2016, 09:33 AM
why were they demoted?

Betting by manager Lou Macari and payments to players.

JOPFhLl7g7U

Grim Reaper
04-05-2016, 08:58 PM

Extra kick in the balls for them was that it rained all day; there was no roof on the away end and then Palace sneaked a 2-1 win with two late goals.

I love it when Sunderland lose but couldn't help feel a tad sorry for any one of them loyal enough to get to Selhurst that day.

CPFC Since 68
04-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Pretty sure there were some strange kick off times during the power cuts in the 70!s .

Jim Cannon
04-05-2016, 09:05 PM
When we played Villa two years ago the kick off was put back seven minutes because of the Hillsborough anniversary to 3:07. I can't think of any other games where the kick off time has not ended in a 0 or 5.

Pretty sure that back in 1989 the week after Hillsborough all games kicked off at 3.06. Someone might remember this

Gazza2
08-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Yep old man came and collected me from junior school at midday so could go Tooting game in afternoon. If I remember correctly the original Sat fixture was off cos waterlogged pitch and they had no floodlights for a midweek evening KO.
Lots of fighting cos, as mentioned in hooligan memoir books from that time, Chelsea decided would be perfect opportunity to turn up to fight Palace.

Gazza2
08-05-2016, 05:59 PM
I remember cup game at Liverpool in around 1977 where we kicked off at 3pm. Everton had also been drawn at home (v Stoke I think), so their game started at 1130am on same day.

CPFC Since 68
08-05-2016, 06:08 PM
Yep old man came and collected me from junior school at midday so could go Tooting game in afternoon. If I remember correctly the original Sat fixture was off cos waterlogged pitch and they had no floodlights for a midweek evening KO.
Lots of fighting cos, as mentioned in hooligan memoir books from that time, Chelsea decided would be perfect opportunity to turn up to fight Palace.

Remember a load of them on the back of an open back truck, really unexpected even for those times.

Gazza2
08-05-2016, 06:15 PM
I stood on half way line but could see it kicking off behind goal. Ground was packed.

Mabs
08-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Wasn't there an away game at Orient at something like 10am on a Saturday?

I do believe it was three days after we beat them there 1-0 in an FA Cup replay in around 1982/83
It was a Sunday 10-30 kick off and one of the most boring 0-0 draws I have witnessed
There was quite a good turn out of Palace fans though
The reason it sticks out was we got the underground from Richmond and it was something like 33 stops