PDA

View Full Version : Uber a viable alternative?

OutOfBounds
29-04-2016, 01:09 AM
Wondering if anyone out there has any information of whether uber is an actual viable alternative to get from Heathrow to Wembley (hotel is near the stadium). Or if the express to Paddington is still the best since it is still early enough to get a decent priced ticket? Any thoughts?

Chris Finch
29-04-2016, 01:19 AM
If you download the app you can get a fare estimate before you order the cab.
When I've had to complain before to Uber about drivers going a longer than ideal route if it's outside of their fare estimate they have refunded me to the upper boundary. It's generally accurate.

OutOfBounds
29-04-2016, 01:41 AM
Very good, if the estimate is accurate it is cheaper than taking all the public transportation

ForzaPalace
29-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Got an Uber after the game back to Victoria. Cost 18.

Ardent Eagle Forever
29-04-2016, 07:06 AM
:)Wondering if anyone out there has any information of whether uber is an actual viable alternative to get from Heathrow to Wembley (hotel is near the stadium). Or if the express to Paddington is still the best since it is still early enough to get a decent priced ticket? Any thoughts?

If I were you OoB, I'd take the Heathrow Express back to Paddington, get a bus or taxi from Paddington to Marylebone and get the train to Wembley.

It will be the quickest way and the drivers of the trains know where they are going. The trains won't have exotic smells either. Check the Transport for London (TFL) website before you arrive in the UK to see if there are any issues with the trains between Paddington and LHR. Also download the London Transport app and the Network Rail apps, they will give you real time info on tubes, trains and buses.

Does anyone know if there are any issues getting an uber from LHR? Seems to me that you'd have to arrive at LHR before calling one and then have a wait till it arrives.

Are you staying in London after the game?

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
29-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Get a quote from Addison Lee online to use as a comparison to Uber.

King William
29-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Got an Uber after the game back to Victoria. Cost 18.

How long that take?

OutOfBounds
07-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Through tripadvisor I found something called totally airports, car service that is slighrly more than an uber or express ticket, but seems worth it for the service they provide. Unless anyone has any negative feedback on them?

Hedgehog
07-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Are Uber allowed to Pick-up or Drop off at Heathrow?

The have very little or no access here at LAX.

braveheart72
07-05-2016, 11:35 PM
if you want to make the safely get a black cab mate, they are crb checked and have the correct. insurance which cannot be said for uber

Hedgehog
07-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Has Uber replaced mini cabs, or are they still about?

zonin2000
07-05-2016, 11:52 PM
if you want to make the safely get a black cab mate, they are crb checked and have the correct. insurance which cannot be said for uber

You'd be perfectly safe in an Uber.

braveheart72
08-05-2016, 07:36 AM
last year there were 32 allegations of rape or sexual assault made against uber drivers, yes you will be perfectly safe. Zonin that is a strange comment to come out with can you please explain why you think they are safe when they are clearly not?

Eaglez
08-05-2016, 10:00 AM
And you think no one has ever made a complaint against a black cab driver?

sheepy
08-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Black cab, private taxi from Clapham to Purley on a night out = 70+

Uber from Clapham to Purley = 30

As long as there are two of you it's a no brainer. Never had any probelms with an uber which is less than can be said for private taxis.

braveheart72
08-05-2016, 12:28 PM
That's irrelevant unless you can come up with some figures. You are just diverting the conversation, I am talking about serious sexual assaults, with figures provided by the Met.

braveheart72
08-05-2016, 12:29 PM
And you think no one has ever made a complaint against a black cab driver?

That's irrelevant unless you can come up with some figures. You are just diverting the conversation, I am talking about serious sexual assaults, with figures provided by the Met.

west country boy
08-05-2016, 12:48 PM
That's irrelevant unless you can come up with some figures. You are just diverting the conversation, I am talking about serious sexual assaults, with figures provided by the Met.Would you happen to be a black cab driver by any chance?

braveheart72
08-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Would you happen to be a black cab driver by any chance?

I don't see why your focusing on whether I am a black cab driver, you haven't addressed the comment or issue, no one so far has came out and said how shocking these figures are.

west country boy
08-05-2016, 05:26 PM
That's a yes, then. I've never had an issue with an Uber driver, in London or abroad. (Also, most of your other posts on here are about how shit Bolasie is so I'm not sure your opinion on anything is valid.)

Kylie_Tracey
08-05-2016, 05:35 PM
last year there were 32 allegations of rape or sexual assault made against uber drivers, yes you will be perfectly safe. Zonin that is a strange comment to come out with can you please explain why you think they are safe when they are clearly not?

I take it you've never heard of John Warboys and David Morris?

Kylie_Tracey
08-05-2016, 05:39 PM

cobblers

braveheart72
08-05-2016, 05:58 PM
I take it you've never heard of John Warboys and David Morris?
John Warboys, 1 black cab driver in the last 30 years. David Morris, where's the evidence? None of you have addressed the stats, would you let your wife or daughter in an Uber? It's not a competition, it's about safety. In one year they have averaged more than 2 assaults per month and those are just the ones that were reported.

zonin2000
08-05-2016, 06:11 PM
would you let your wife or daughter in an Uber?

Yes, all the time.

Well, I don't *let* her, she makes her own choices.

Tomo
08-05-2016, 06:23 PM
The issue with Black Cabs, for such a journey, is that it will cost double if not more.

I try and use Black Cabs or local cabbies where I can but when it's the sake of 30 quid difference it's hard not to use them.
I've never had an issue with Uber. I left my phone in one once and I had to go to Victoria the next day to pick it up but he didn't bum me so it's all good.

Oli28
08-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Aren't you diverting the conversation? Let's be honest, palace fans on their way out of wembley aren't exactly the prime target for taxi drivers are they, regardless of what you think about uber.

I think you're better off waiting for the tube at Wembley Park. It'll be quicker than it was at the semi as one team will be inside celebrating, you'll be back in town within half an hour.

braveheart72
08-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Aren't you diverting the conversation? Let's be honest, palace fans on their way out of wembley aren't exactly the prime target for taxi drivers are they, regardless of what you think about uber.

I think you're better off waiting for the tube at Wembley Park. It'll be quicker than it was at the semi as one team will be inside celebrating, you'll be back in town within half an hour.

black cabs are mainly situated in central London that's what they do?

Oli28
08-05-2016, 06:45 PM
black cabs are mainly situated in central London that's what they do?
Sorry, I meant that football fans aren't going to be the typical victims of assaults in taxis, as you seemed to be suggesting the OP is putting himself at risk by using an uber, which he clearly won't be.

EddieEdwards
08-05-2016, 06:53 PM
There's a thread in General Chit Chat for anybody who wants to continue the Uber vs Black Cab discussion.

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261796