PDA

View Full Version : 15 Years Ago Today Portsmouth 2 Palace 4.

Ismale
02-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Wednesday May 2nd 2001.
Portsmouth 2 Palace 4.

This game is almost a 'forgotten' game in our history,Freedman at Stockport 4 days later is always recalled but his performance & 2 goals in this game was critical for us to even take it down to the final day as this was a MUST WIN! Game :eek:

We started superbly as Freedman's run & chip set up Forssell to open the scoring,followed by Mullins crossing for Riihilahti to head us into a 2-0 lead after 25 minutes,however on the brink of HT a high cross into the area was dropped by Alex 'Calamity' Kolinko for Lee Mills to half the arrear's.

Straight from the restart though we attacked & Freedman made it 3-1 right on half time so 1-3 at the break.Freedman grabbed a 2nd early in the 2nd half & despite a late header from Carl Tiler making it 2-4 we held out for a vital win & a sparkling performance.

I was there that evening having got hold of a ticket only the day before (thanks Roysta's! :hi:) anyone remember trying to phone anyone after the final whistle? Think EVERYONE was on their phones as no one seemed to be able to get through! Ha Ha :D

Bit dodge leaving the ground & the local graffiti covered shithole as you can imagine the local's wernt too happy! to make my way back to Fratton to get train back to Havant then B*******! A memorable evening & a game I wanted to jog people's memories about,15 long years on.

Supa Pard
02-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Jesus! 15 years ago!

Went to the Pompey game and Stockport. IIRC you had to buy a ticket for both games. You couldn't just go to one or tother.

Jesus! 15 years ago!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-05-2016, 03:58 PM
I missed our goal in the second half, but did that 'celebrate as you walk out onto the terrace even though you missed the goal' thing

Neillo's Son
02-05-2016, 04:15 PM
We were awesome that day, the players played without a care in the world and more importantly, kept the ball on the deck. Pompey had no idea how to handle our front 3 and it took a howler from Kolinko to get a sniff of a result but our brilliant play saw us home.

Not the nicest place in the world but I miss Pompey away, the atmosphere that night was deafening!

Shipsisourking
02-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Feeling old now :(

I remember the fun with the Pompey chaps after the match, boy they were a happy bunch.

NorfolkEnchants
02-05-2016, 04:18 PM
I can remember a disgusted Pompey fan got on the pitch and tried to rip the shirt from Lee Bradbury's back during the game and Rix getting that song screamed at him (I'm sure some Portsmouth joined in)

tasty_snacks
02-05-2016, 04:23 PM
15 years ago. Wow.

Remember it well. 4 of us drove down in the car - I think my mate had just passed his test. Don't recall being nervous at any point though. Perhaps I was just in denial?

WLYWLYAWYPWF
02-05-2016, 05:00 PM
The relief amongst the away support that Alan Smith had been sacked was palpable. Going by the performance it was exactly the same in the dressing room. I was sitting next to Simon Rodger and Ricardo Fuller. That and Stockport away a few days later are two of my favourite ever awaydays. 15 years though! FFS.

King William
02-05-2016, 07:20 PM
15yrs?! Shit

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-05-2016, 07:31 PM
The relief amongst the away support that Alan Smith had been sacked was palpable. Going by the performance it was exactly the same in the dressing room. I was sitting next to Simon Rodger and Ricardo Fuller. That and Stockport away a few days later are two of my favourite ever awaydays. 15 years though! FFS.

Forssell had had a miserable season up until Smith's sacking, and looked like a different player in this game

Levski
02-05-2016, 07:52 PM
I remember after Dougie's header he seemed he wanted to jump into the away end to celebrate, but there seemed to be large pit behind the goal and for a second I thought he'd fall in!

Also, at 1-4, Forssell was clean through and missed. If I'd got my sums right before the game (probably wrong!) if he'd put that one in then Portsmouth would have really struggled to match us on goal difference.

Amazing game, one of the best I've ever been to.

Pat of the Palace
02-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Jesus! 15 years ago!

Went to the Pompey game and Stockport. IIRC you had to buy a ticket for both games. You couldn't just go to one or tother.

Jesus! 15 years ago!

You sure?
I remember going down on my own and all the gang I used to go with all went to Stockport.

Can't believe it's been 15 years.

Sodermalm
02-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Wow, 15 years ago, what a night

JAS78
02-05-2016, 08:26 PM
I think all Palace fans felt the writing was on the wall before this game, we looked doomed but hoped for a miracle. Then up stepped the Doug :love:

Fantastic night , and it set it all up perfectly for Stockport away.

3 Beers at HT
02-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Had a tenner on 4-1 Palace at 100-1.

Carl Tiler :veryangry

Paxton
02-05-2016, 09:09 PM
I went to Portsmouth but not Stockport. As far as I remember, the Portsmouth game was postponed from earlier in the season - I bought my ticket for the original game.

gold76
02-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Went to this with Dooogiepalacefc

We needed to win the game by 2 clear goals to get out of the bottom 3.

Kolinko did get a bit of stick after his boob, but looked distraught, so then got an "Alex Kolinko" chant..

I think thefeeling with 2 games to go by Kember and bullivant was, we're fooked, so we might as well give it a go with 3 strikers, totally played with the leash off.

JJ
02-05-2016, 09:31 PM
IIRC you had to buy a ticket for both games. You couldn't just go to one or tother.

You do not remember correctly. I went to Portsmouth but couldn't go to Stockport.

Was an amazing game, Freedman was on fire that night. David Hopkin wasn't playing, and was in the crowd with us.

JAS78
02-05-2016, 09:42 PM

For two away games at different ends of the country? Nether heard of any club forcing that type of thing through

I only went to Portsmouth, I think one of your mates may have pulled your leg to force you to go to both... ;)

Farnboro' Eagle
02-05-2016, 09:58 PM
You do not remember correctly. I went to Portsmouth but couldn't go to Stockport.

Correct. I was a student in Sheffield at the time and went to Stockport, but not Portsmouth. The tickets must have been sold well in advance, as I also got one for my mate without any issues, as I think we all thought we were ****ed by that point.

I remember listening the the Portsmouth game in my student flat, preparing for my 2nd year exams, and the dial-up modem couldn't stream the 5 Live commentary and totally lost it when Pompey scored their second.

Unbelievable that was 15 years' ago

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-05-2016, 09:59 PM
For two away games at different ends of the country? Nether heard of any club forcing that type of thing through

I only went to Portsmouth, I think one of your mates may have pulled your leg to force you to go to both... ;)

I was at Portsmouth, but couldn't get a ticket for Stockport as I wasn't a ST holder at this point. Just the way it goes, no bitching back then ;)

Chillo
02-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Wednesday May 2nd 2001.
Portsmouth 2 Palace 4.

Bit dodge leaving the ground & the local graffiti covered shithole as you can imagine the local's wernt too happy! to make my way back to Fratton to get train back to Havant then B*******! A memorable evening & a game I wanted to jog people's memories about,15 long years on.

I remember leaving a meeting in Mitcham and rushing down to Portsmouth via a very busy A3; got down there and parked well away from the ground, running to the ground, just getting there before kick-off.

After the game, dressed in Palace colours, walking 'rather quickly' through Portsmouth to get to my car :sunglasses: not making eye contact with any of the Pompey fans that whose club we'd just dumped into the relegation spaces. :lux:

Great game and great result, setting up Stockport, as well.

Selhurst Celtic
02-05-2016, 10:20 PM

I'm sure that was the case. Thinking about it though, it's crazy. Imagine if any club tried that now - You have to buy two tickets at the same time, one of which might be a pointless event as you've already been relegated and is over 200 miles away. Glad I was at both though.

(I am aware that CPFC currently have a process where you have to buy two tickets at the same time)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-05-2016, 10:21 PM
I remember leaving a meeting in Mitcham and rushing down to Portsmouth via a very busy A3; got down there and parked well away from the ground, running to the ground, just getting there before kick-off.

After the game, dressed in Palace colours, walking 'rather quickly' through Portsmouth to get to my car :sunglasses: not making eye contact with any of the Pompey fans that whose club we'd just dumped into the relegation spaces. :lux:

Great game and great result, setting up Stockport, as well.

Me and a friend took the coach down there, that was parked miles away from the ground for some reason. Quite a few people weren't on the coach for the return!?!

Chillo
02-05-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm sure that was the case. Thinking about it though, it's crazy. Imagine if any club tried that now - You have to buy two tickets at the same time, one of which might be a pointless event as you've already been relegated and is over 200 miles away. Glad I was at both though.

(I am aware that CPFC currently have a process where you have to buy two tickets at the same time)

Sure it wasn't; I had one ticket for Portsmouth, it being a week night, but three tickets for the Stockport match - me and two of my kids - it being the weekend.

spy
02-05-2016, 10:33 PM
I only went to the Stockport game and not Pompey and i remember one of my mates went to the Portsmouth game but not Stockport - you definitely didn't have to buy tickets for both

Supa Pard
03-05-2016, 09:28 PM
You sure?
I remember going down on my own and all the gang I used to go with all went to Stockport.

Can't believe it's been 15 years.

I think you might be right.
My mate, who I went with, told his old woman you either bought 2 tickets or none. And I think I told the same lie now I think about it.
:)

917L
04-05-2016, 12:55 AM
Was a great night. Pompey fan sthought they were going to relgate us, and all the local press was about Bradbury saying he was going to score the goals to send us down

Wonderful performance all round, but like at Stockport, Dougie took centre stage

2 of my all time favourite games

Bizarro
04-05-2016, 08:19 AM
I only went to the Stockport game and not Pompey and i remember one of my mates went to the Portsmouth game but not Stockport - you definitely didn't have to buy tickets for both

I went to both, but my mate only went to Stockport. We got tickets for Stockport the next morning. Its possible that we may have needed proof of at least one ticket for Pompey, but I don't remember it that way.

GeeTee
04-05-2016, 09:02 AM
No, I only went to the Stockport game.

The whole goal difference thing was a red herring anyway as Pompey's next game saw them up against Kevin Miller :veryangry

stevek
04-05-2016, 10:25 AM
IIRC you had to buy a ticket for both games. You couldn't just go to one or tother.

That's not right - I had a Pompey ticket but not a Stockport one.

I remember after the Wolves game on the Saturday wondering if I'd bother going down to Portsmouth as we looked doomed. Then on Sunday Smith was sacked and I thought the great escape might be on.

I remember leaving the game worried that their second goal - and the goal difference impact - might come back to haunt us. And it would have done if Huddersfield hadn't lost to Birmingham - Pompey finished above us on goal difference. It's funny that that game felt at the time a relegation decider and yet we both stayed up.

I spent the whole of the following morning trying (unsuccessfully) to get through to the box office to get Stockport tickets.

Niceaction
04-05-2016, 10:30 AM
15 years! Wow.

I had a ticket in the pompey end - by the corner of the palace of fans - and was struggling not to go mental.

Me and the Mrs then went to Stockport. Only I was a season ticket holder, so not sure how I managed to get 2 tickets for it. That was a mad, mental week of supporting Palace!

scro
04-05-2016, 10:31 AM
I think this might be one of my favourite palace games of all time.

I must admit it is testimony to how much less cynical i was 15 years ago I came out of that game believing we could stay up and full of enthusiasm. I am sure I would now just assume we were doomed and it was typical of us to play well once it was too late now.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-05-2016, 10:55 AM
I think this might be one of my favourite palace games of all time.

I must admit it is testimony to how much less cynical i was 15 years ago I came out of that game believing we could stay up and full of enthusiasm. I am sure I would now just assume we were doomed and it was typical of us to play well once it was too late now.

Can't speak for everyone, but I was completely hammered at this game, which is rare for me. It seemed most of the people there were too. If we were going down, we were going down pissed, and with vomit on our shirts.

Selhurst Celtic
04-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Can't speak for everyone, but I was completely hammered at this game, which is rare for me. It seemed most of the people there were too. If we were going down, we were going down pissed, and with vomit on our shirts.

I'd been on the loud mouth soup all day too. I have sketchy memories of me tumbling about on the seats on the back row of the away end. But I'm not even sure if it was still terracing in those days, which is some indication of how drunk I was.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-05-2016, 11:23 AM
I'd been on the loud mouth soup all day too. I have sketchy memories of me tumbling about on the seats on the back row of the away end. But I'm not even sure if it was still terracing in those days, which is some indication of how drunk I was.

I think there was no roof, and they had half heartedly put some kind of bench seating in the front half of the terrace

wrightchipvcfc
24-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Great night remember kolinko nearly having a nervous breakdown after making mistake for there goal there fans wernt to happy outside ground after either

salad fan club
24-05-2016, 11:04 PM
I think all Palace fans felt the writing was on the wall before this game, we looked doomed but hoped for a miracle. Then up stepped the Doug :love:

Fantastic night , and it set it all up perfectly for Stockport away.

Yep I went expecting to see us go down , great night

New LP
24-05-2016, 11:11 PM

I only went to Stockport, watched the Pompey game in a latino themed bar in Croydon which is no longer there.

Santos-er
24-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Ha, that abject performance against Wolves that left us in deep shit - and people throwing their ST's (rather pointless considering it was the last home game :D ). Thank God Smith was sacked. We thoroughly deserved to be in that position going into the last couple of games.

I wasn't at Portsmouth but remember I'd been to football training and was listening on the radio on the way back... I was sat at the traffic lights at the end of Ashburton Park when we scored the 2nd. Both myself and the chap in front were going a little mad in our respective vehicles, then acknowledged each other with some fist pumps :D

Am Phibian
25-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Stevie Kember - Palace hero and legend. Performed managerial miracle with those two games.

Am Phibian
25-05-2016, 07:06 AM
I only went to Stockport, watched the Pompey game in a latino themed bar in Croydon which is no longer there.

At last. Always said they should demolish the hideous concrete inflicted town and start again.

Enfield eagle
25-05-2016, 07:38 AM
I went, the goals are on my you tube link below. Went to both Pompey and Stockport and its my favourite game in 15 years. Pompey needed a win to stay up themselves and got totally rolled over. They only stayed up because they beat someone 6-0 on the last day who put the kids out. Swindon?