PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse in Whitehorse Lane in 1981

Typical Palace
03-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Forget the scoreline and the dreadful excuse for a Seaweed keeper, Perry Digweed, does anyone know what is this building in Whitehorse Lane, apparently where the garage is now?

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46284&stc=1&d=1462305309

garronrav
03-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Firm that did welding on the corner of Clifton road maybe.

Think the warehouse is still there

Chocky
03-05-2016, 08:02 PM
That was my Branch Davidian centre then the Feds turned up with tanks and stuff. Thought best to burn it down.

Typical Palace
03-05-2016, 08:08 PM
Might not be clear from the picture but it's taken from the Holmesdale End with the Old Stand on the left and the space where the Whitehorse was on the right. Looks like it was where the garage is now. Not as far down the road as the welding unit at the top of Clifton Road.

DocSavage
03-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Might not be clear from the picture but it's taken from the Holmesdale End with the Old Stand on the left and the space where the Whitehorse was on the right. Looks like it was where the garage is now. Not as far down the road as the welding unit at the top of Clifton Road.

wasn't it a garage back then as well? didn't they have that stupid vw beetle movie star on show there?

Palace Graham
03-05-2016, 09:17 PM
It was the servicing workshop for Leathwoods , the VW and Audi garage.

LONDONMAN
04-05-2016, 08:15 AM
The Radiator business on the corner of Clifton Road/Whitehorse Lane must surely have been a Pub by the appearance of the building? If so, does anyone have any details? I read somewhere that Whitehorse Lane is one of the oldest roads in the area.

big bad John
06-05-2016, 01:06 PM
The Radiator business on the corner of Clifton Road/Whitehorse Lane must surely have been a Pub by the appearance of the building? If so, does anyone have any details? I read somewhere that Whitehorse Lane is one of the oldest roads in the area.

It was a pub up until around 69. Can't remember a name for it but I vaguely remember a mob of Birmingham City fans coming out of it during our promotion season of 68-69

rbarmy
06-05-2016, 01:23 PM
It stopped being a pub around 1899 to 1901 but it was called the London Tavern - this from the British Genealogy site

"This obscure pub on the corner of Clifton Road and Whitehorse Lane, apparently began as an off-licence, blossomed into the London Tavern for fifteen or twenty years, and then subsided into an off-licence once more. The earliest reliable trace of it is in 1878, when W. Beal is recorded at 'ale stores, Clifton Road'. That probably indicates an off-licence, though 'stores' was sometimes used in pub names, in Scotland more often than in England. By 1884, Edward J. Barnes is listed here at the London Tavern.

It continued as a pub at least until 1899, when Mrs E. C. Blake was the landlady, but by 1902 Albert Samuel Blake had turned it into an off-licence again, even though he was still calling it the London Tavern. That must have caused confusion, so a later proprietor, E. A. P. Richards, changed the name to London Stores. Yet a 1958 directory records 'Albert E. Pennington Richards, London Tavern', so perhaps the old name was still displayed somewhere on the premises. The Richards family continued to run the business until at least 1968. The building still stands and looks like a typical corner pub. It is now (2006) divided into flats."

LONDONMAN
06-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Cheers for clearing that up. A little bit spooky to think it stopped being a pub before Palace were even founded - let alone when the club moved into the area!

I guess the workers from the brick factory that was located on the land that became Selhurst Park would check into the London Tavern and probably stock up on bottles of stout to take home after a hard day making bricks and moving them around!

big bad John
06-05-2016, 06:17 PM
It stopped being a pub around 1899 to 1901 but it was called the London Tavern - this from the British Genealogy site

"This obscure pub on the corner of Clifton Road and Whitehorse Lane, apparently began as an off-licence, blossomed into the London Tavern for fifteen or twenty years, and then subsided into an off-licence once more. The earliest reliable trace of it is in 1878, when W. Beal is recorded at 'ale stores, Clifton Road'. That probably indicates an off-licence, though 'stores' was sometimes used in pub names, in Scotland more often than in England. By 1884, Edward J. Barnes is listed here at the London Tavern.

It continued as a pub at least until 1899, when Mrs E. C. Blake was the landlady, but by 1902 Albert Samuel Blake had turned it into an off-licence again, even though he was still calling it the London Tavern. That must have caused confusion, so a later proprietor, E. A. P. Richards, changed the name to London Stores. Yet a 1958 directory records 'Albert E. Pennington Richards, London Tavern', so perhaps the old name was still displayed somewhere on the premises. The Richards family continued to run the business until at least 1968. The building still stands and looks like a typical corner pub. It is now (2006) divided into flats."

So the Brum fans I saw in 1968 were piling out of the offie:D

rbarmy
06-05-2016, 06:39 PM
So the Brum fans I saw in 1968 were piling out of the offie:D
Links to the history it being an Offie - amazing that it lasted so long and we still have your memory of it in it's original use - over 100 years after it closed as a pub

DocSavage
06-05-2016, 06:43 PM
yeah but what about herbie?