PDA

View Full Version : 15 Years Ago Today Stockport 0 Palace 1.

Ismale
06-05-2016, 07:46 AM
Sunday May 6th 2001.
Stockport 0 Palace 1.

Yes,THAT game! :lux: Our stunning 2-4 away win at Portsmouth 4 days earlier had breathed life into the decaying corpse of a league season that Alan Smith had presided over for 44 games prior to his sacking (barring that run in November/December)

Anyhow,Stockport,whose front 2 were a certain Aarron Wilbraham & Shefki Kuqi! Stood between us & salvation,from memory & without checking YouTube/Season Reviews it was a game of few chances then THAT moment arrived! Sub David Hopkin rose in his own box to clear a high ball & inexplicably handled! To our utter disbelief the Ref didn't give it & Hoppo hoofed the ball up to Freedman on the halfway line who controlled it & went on a mazy run,past 1 past 2 then BANG! Slams a 87th minute shot into the net!

Cue absolutely pandemonium amongst the 3000 travelling Palace fans in the terrace! Dozens or it may have even been hundreds invaded the pitch in absolute delirium! Including yours truely! :D

With the game having to be restarted we returned to the terrace to the news Pompey had whipped Barnsley & the odious Kevin Miller 3-0! It meant we either needed a 2nd or hope Birmingham clung on to their 2-1 lead at Huddersfield! We had a heart stopping moment right on full time as a Jamie Smith backheader threatened to beat Kolinko but thankfully he grabbed it on the line.

Our salvation was secure when Brum Keeper Ian Bennett pulled off a fantastic down by the post save from Huddersfield's Andy Booth right on the final whistle meaning Brums 2-1 win,allied to our win at Stockport was enough to secure survival! :lux:

As an aside the Referee was a Mr A.Leave,for missing that handball by Hoppo he will always be a Mr.A.Hero to me!! :lux::D

kabbott
06-05-2016, 10:06 AM
I enjoy watching this from time to time!

LXocmIHoVXM

charltonhater
06-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Amazing it was 15 years ago. One of the most memorable games I ever attended.
It felt like more than 3000 Palace fans there.

Selhurst Celtic
06-05-2016, 01:08 PM
I was convinced the double decker bus we had to get on from Wilmslow (?) as a rail replacement was going to topple over going up the motorway on the way there.

I lost my brother during the pitch invasions but we found each other in the centre circle.

Wydehurst
06-05-2016, 01:54 PM
I was at work and watching on a small telly. I had given up hope and then that last minute life saver.

WorthingEagle
06-05-2016, 02:10 PM
When you look at some of the players we had and the quality of that Portsmouth performance, we should have been nowhere near the relegation zone, let alone needing snookers to get out of it. The coach trip home from Stockport flew by.

Friskey
07-05-2016, 07:23 AM
I was convinced the double decker bus we had to get on from Wilmslow (?) as a rail replacement was going to topple over going up the motorway on the way there.

I lost my brother during the pitch invasions but we found each other in the centre circle.

Forgot about being packed in on that bus.

Great day. One of my all time favourite Palace games.

eaglesrus
07-05-2016, 07:45 AM
An amazing day! I remember hugging the goal post for some reason!

Selhurst Celtic
07-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Forgot about being packed in on that bus.

Great day. One of my all time favourite Palace games.

Everyone piled off the train in some sleepy little town (was it Wilmslow?) singing "We're playing Brighton next year..." and onto a fleet of double deckers. You'd think we were rival fans as any overtaking by a fellow bus was met with full on abuse and coffee beans salutes. The charge into the office licence when they pulled up near the ground resembled the Light Brigade.

Loafster
07-05-2016, 08:35 AM
can't believe it was 15 years ago
Saw a lot of grown men crying that day.

gold76
07-05-2016, 10:04 AM
It's a sobering thought where Stockport are now- Conference North? Northern Premier?

At least 4 relegations since we played them that day..

maestro
07-05-2016, 10:17 AM
I enjoy watching this from time to time!

LXocmIHoVXM

1min 12

AVE IT!

Yoda
07-05-2016, 10:26 AM
I remember arriving at the ground a bit earlier than expected, but lots of us did. Hundreds of Palace fans were hanging around outside until about an hour before the match when someone finally strolled round and unlocked the away end.

There was quite a contrast between the anxious, loud Palace fans, pacing up and down outside and the Stockport staff. They seemed unprepared for us, but must have known we'd sold all our tickets.

Anyway, I'll never forget Dougie's face when he scored, the nerve-jangling wait at the end whilst the other matches finished and then waiting for the team to come back out. Their officials/police tried to suggest at one point that they wouldn't be out, but Palace fans made it v clear we wouldn't leave till they did. Sense prevailed in the end and we all celebrated together.

Whilst I don't wish to go through this again, it was incredibly exciting to sail that close to disaster (in football terms) and a terrific buzz to escape by such fine margins.

cranesparkeagle
07-05-2016, 10:30 AM
A bitter sweet time as it was my Dads last birthday . He died of cancer 2 weeks later so I always find reminders of that day a bit of a choker. It is startling, Gold, what happened to Stockport. At the time in question hey were a very competitive outfit who scared the live out of Premier league sides in the Cups.. But it was Huddersfield who suffered after celebrating a draw on our pitch. Touch of the Oldhams about that

Duffle Coat
07-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Stunning day! Again watching from afar but my heart was hammering a million to the minute. Honestly, that day was one of the main reasons to be Palace. And for what any say about him, Dougie was one of us. Indeed, I doubt he will ever forget Stockport even if he has blotted his copybook with us since.

Mat ov CPFC
07-05-2016, 11:18 AM
When you look at some of the players we had and the quality of that Portsmouth performance, we should have been nowhere near the relegation zone, let alone needing snookers to get out of it. The coach trip home from Stockport flew by.

It was a farce that we ended up in that position. We went up the night before and had a night out in Manchester. Still wake up in a cold sweat at the memory of Aidan somehow sneaking into my hotel room and crashing out on the floor!

I remember the journey home as flying by as well. I had two people sleeping off the night before for almost the entire journey and I cannot remember seeing the motorways so empty in day light. Ended up drinking in various bars in East Dulwich with Varcoe junior.

Scary how time has just evaporated since that date. Its like looking back on a different world.