PDA

View Full Version : Memories of the 3-3 1990 Final

Am Phibian
10-05-2016, 09:04 AM
For some reason I wore blue and red tape around my head hippy stylee and didn't get p1ssed beforehand and headed straight back to Croydon after. I was right next to a group of disabled Man U fans high up in the Palace end which I thought rather odd them being there. They were noisy buggers too.

Queuing time for ticket: 22 hours.

HOVE EAGLE
10-05-2016, 09:27 AM
I was sat in the upper tier in the utd end with my dad.Good humoured banter with utd fans who didn't mind us being there .Never forget the moment hughes scored we just sat in our seats and stared into space .Dad died a few years after so this final will be quite emotional for me .Lets hope we all have a great day .

Jim's Cannon
10-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Couldn't get a ticket for the Final due to the ridiculous allocation, but remember watching the entire day on TV from start to finish. When Wright scored his 2nd I jumped up and knocked over an entire tray of full tea cups.

Managed a replay ticket by complete fluke. I was walking through Liverpool Street station at lunchtime on the day and there was a tiny ticket booth I'd never seen before. On a blackboard outside was written "Cup Final Tickets".
I asked him how much they were and he said "Sorry mate, I've only got 2 left in the Palace end." They were 150 each but I was there!

Wydehurst
10-05-2016, 10:06 AM
What ever happens in the final, nothing could eclipse the semi final and final of 1990. It was a dream come true to see Palace in cup final and although the replay was a dismal disappointment it will always be one of the greatest times along with the 1979 promotion for me.
Each generation has it's great moments and I'm sure this year will be great for the younger fans. The only difference is that 1990 was one of the last years when the FA cup was still special before the Premier League became all important.

Am Phibian
10-05-2016, 11:00 AM
I was sat in the upper tier in the utd end with my dad.Good humoured banter with utd fans who didn't mind us being there .Never forget the moment hughes scored we just sat in our seats and stared into space .Dad died a few years after so this final will be quite emotional for me .Lets hope we all have a great day .

You did well to sit together. Palace sales were one ticket each. My dad was about 50metres away from me.

I was so pleased to see so many Palace in the Utd end when Wright scored our second.

foxinthebox
10-05-2016, 12:20 PM
What ever happens in the final, nothing could eclipse the semi final and final of 1990. It was a dream come true to see Palace in cup final and although the replay was a dismal disappointment it will always be one of the greatest times along with the 1979 promotion for me.
Each generation has it's great moments and I'm sure this year will be great for the younger fans. The only difference is that 1990 was one of the last years when the FA cup was still special before the Premier League became all important.

it will take some doing for the final to beat Hillsborough. In fact i'm sure it cant. That will be my palace moment forever

garronrav
10-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Had 4 Man utd fans behind me 2 were kids, had no problem, only problem was a steward telling me to sit down as I celebrated the moment we went one nil up.

Jim Bhoy
10-05-2016, 12:38 PM
I slept in someone's front garden in Whitehorse Lane in a sleeping bag and spent 16 hours queuing for tickets for the first match. Woke up in the morning about 5am to see a football match taking place, shirts v skins, on the part of the Selhurst Park pitch that wasn't being reseeded. Had shit seats for the first game at Wembley, in the very last row. Had to stoop down low to see Ian Wright score his first goal as the roof was covering our view of Jim Leighton's goal. Also got some grief from Palace fans for hanging our CPFC Ireland flag up behind our seat with some "who's brought an IRA flag" comments.

The one thing I remember from watching the full TV build up afterwards is David Davies (then a BBC reporter, but perhaps better known now for working for the English FA during the Ericksen/McClaren era) calling Crystal Palace's home as being situated in a "predominantly grey area of South London". I don't know why I was so defensive about South Norwood, but his tone really annoyed me at the time, and I remember thinking if the prick had ever been to Old Trafford, the true definition of a predominantly grey area.

All I remember about the replay is having a bad feeling when we walked out in the black and yellow striped kit, and seeing that Ian Wright wasn't starting. I still maintain this was a bad decision from Coppell. Pallister and Bruce were scared shitless of Wright and we would have been better off with starting him. The press reaction was a disgrace after our performance, and typical of the big four/five bias we have become used to now. The second game was a lot closer than most people remember, and Utd created very little as well.

And losing in the final is a million times worse than losing in the semi final, don't let anybody try and convince you otherwise. There's nothing worse than seeing the other team running around with the cup after the game.

Old Joe Paxton
10-05-2016, 12:42 PM
it will take some doing for the final to beat Hillsborough. In fact i'm sure it cant. That will be my palace moment forever

You're a young person aren't you.

IanH
10-05-2016, 12:48 PM
I don't really remember too much about that day after spending too long drinking at the Duke of York before the game! I can remember Abide with Me and the National Anthem and the teams coming out of the tunnel behind the goal at the far end of the ground. And the balloons. I can remember very little about the game itself though. And I remember a massive feeling of anti-climax at the end.

gjohnk
10-05-2016, 12:52 PM
I was 9.
My dad bought me a double Mars bar duo from the services on the way home from Wembley!
(I have other memories of the day too)

garronrav
10-05-2016, 12:54 PM
And I remember a massive feeling of anti-climax at the end.

^^^^This big time.

Edit- And the Duke of York bit :angel:

Twin of Droy
10-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Walked up Wembley Way not knowing it was unofficially segregated. I think Man U on the left and Palace on the right. My mate got loads of abuse from some Mancs and thrown back over our side.

garronrav
10-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Walked up Wembley Way not knowing it was unofficially segregated. I think Man U on the left and Palace on the right. My mate got loads of abuse from some Mancs and thrown back over our side.

So he took a wrong turn huh?

Yoda
10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
I remember seeing the team coming out of the tunnel and then the avalanche of balloons rained down for so long that, by the time I could see the pitch again, they were lined up in front the Royal box.

Loads of other memories, esp Abide With Me and Sir Steve charging off the bench when Wright scored. Love that clip.

I don't agree with the poster above, as I think losing a semi final is worse than a final. Ofcourse it's disappointing, but we'd had a terrible start to the season and did brilliantly to stay up and reach the final. We felt the team had elevated Palace beyond the herd and those guys would always be remembered for that....and indeed they have been.

foxinthebox
10-05-2016, 01:52 PM
You're a young person aren't you.

Thank you. I'm 30 so don't remember the first final no.

Louis
10-05-2016, 02:01 PM
I remember United attacking the Palace end when we went 3-2 up in extra time, and the feeling of inevitability about their equaliser.

Mr Bo Jangles
10-05-2016, 02:06 PM
On train from Purley and then arriving at East Croydon, which was packed with people, red and blue everywhere. Arriving at Victoria, singing as we got off the train, couldn't get in Duke of York, so busy on the 'island' at Victoria, found a quietish pub down a side street. Going down the tube, someone starting 'glad all over' and the thunderous banging of hands on the centre of the escalators. Few Mancs on tube some light hearted banter. Crying during 'abide with me' and then a great game with so many highs and lows, so much emotion. OMG cannot believe I get the opportunity to do it all again!!

joyce the voice
10-05-2016, 02:08 PM
I was so nervous and had had so much to drink I went to the toilet with eight minutes to go of extra time. I heard that awful distant roar from the loo and knew what had happened. The whole thing has had horrible psychological effects ...

El Aguila
10-05-2016, 02:32 PM
I remember drinking outside a pub with loads of Palace fans, the morning of the game.... in my memory it was at Kings Cross, but I can't see why it would be, except I think i had stayed round there the night before. maybe it was the DoY, which would make more sense.... anyway a Man U fan came up to be and asked what was the best way to get to Wembley - to which I replied, with my razor sharp London wit, "beat the scousers"; and he went, you wha'? So I had to make the joke again. Oh how we all laughed.

elgrande
10-05-2016, 02:38 PM
I couldn't get tickets through the club....was gutted then my sister (rip) rang me and said ...got you a pressie......2 not 1 but 2 tickets,she had a really close friend who was a director at Watford at the time..
Brilliant day apart from Hughes......wanker,then queued up all night at Wembley for replay tickets.... And we all know how that ended.
This is our destiny,I firmly believe our name is on that cup.

daz_eagle
10-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Crying on the stairs and being allowed a day off school (after the replay). :(

thefox
10-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Me and my Dad got offered a grand (I think each) for our tickets from a manure fan on the way to the grand. Just smiled.

foresthillbilly
10-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Living in Coventry at the time, watching on TV whilst being noshed-off by a lovely Welsh (Media Studies) student.

I had already jizzed into her mouth on Ian Wrights second goal, but was left flaccid and distraught on Hughes equaliser.

Supa Pard
10-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Living in Coventry at the time, watching on TV whilst being noshed-off by a lovely Welsh (Media Studies) student.

I had already jizzed into her mouth on Ian Wrights second goal, but was left flaccid and distraught on Hughes equaliser.

At what point in the game did he...err..I mean she, jizz in yours?
:D

Pistol Knight
10-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Somewhere in Japan there are photos of the back of my head! I had CPFC shaved in it :D

Drinking in The Lord Palmerston at Victoria when the coaches went past, the look on their faces, Victoria was jam packed with flags & Palace, the rest of the day was a bit of a drunken blur tbh

grovesy
10-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Does anyone have any fans pics from the 1990 Final - in particular Palace fans at Victoria?

Supa Pard
10-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Does anyone have any fans pics from the 1990 Final - in particular Palace fans at Victoria?

I'd like to see them too.

JJ
11-05-2016, 01:34 AM
In the week or so leading up to the Portsmouth game in round 3, I had the most vivid dream about Palace. I dreamt I was watching Palace walk out at Wembley for the FA Cup Final, and I was behind the goal opposite the tunnel, about 2/3rds of the way up.

I'd forgotten all about it, even when we got to Wembley, until all of a sudden it dawned on me that I was sitting (standing) exactly where I had been in that dream. Weird.

Like many others, I queued overnight for a ticket (10 hours). As for the day itself, I don't remember anything from before getting to Wembley really, although I do remember choking up at Abide With Me, and of course the mass of thousands of red and blue balloons.

At that time I had no great enmity for Manure - that would come the following Thursday - and despite their history didn't really feel that worried by them. They'd only finished a handful of places above us in the league, and we'd drawn 1-1 with them at SP in our first home game of the season, and of course won 2-1 at OT in the November (Andy Thorn's debut - what a great game that was to be at!)

The game itself seemed to pass so quickly, and soon after Robson's equaliser it was half time already. Second half and extra time are obviously enshrined forever into our collective memories, such highs, and then ultimately such a low to be that close... I remember watching the players go up to the Royal box just to shake hands with whoever it was that had meant to present the trophy, but as someone mentioned above, after everything before it was an anti-climax; one of those days when, having been so close to a win, the draw felt like a defeat.

foresthillbilly
11-05-2016, 08:06 AM
I'd like to see them too.

I have some pictures of the Welsh media Studies student somewhere.

Never have I felt so pleased with a Welshie's performance, only to me left distraught and angry with her Countryman's scoring on the pitch.

Supa Pard
11-05-2016, 08:07 AM
I have some pictures of the Welsh media Studies student somewhere.

Never have I felt so pleased with a Welshie's performance, only to me left distraught and angry with her Countryman's scoring on the pitch.

:p

ElwissAtMemphis
11-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Sadly, one of my most enduring memories is staring at the Wembley scoreboard in the final period of extra time: "Crystal Palace 3 Manchester United 2" and having a strangely ethereal sensation that we were actually going to do it. I got that wrong. I've never been complacent about a big game until the final whistle since.

The replay was a complete dog's dinner. That awful kit was the kiss of death. Ironic that we rejected our proper away kit, the sash, because of player superstition only to curse ourselves with that hideously rushed alternative. I think the powers that be saw an irresistible marketing opportunity; not the first time that making a quick buck took priority over results.

Went home thinking it had been a rubbish match with neither side looking like a decent team only to open the papers the following day to read that we'd apparently brought shame on the reputation of the cup by scrapping, kicking, cheating and cynically seeking to kill the match in a shameless attempt to steal the trophy. It was a crap game but that was such a ridiculous exaggeration it beggared belief. Presumably all the journalists got together in a hotel bar and settled on that narrative which they all stuck to. I'm sure it was meant as a condemnation of our direct style in general which was rapidly falling out of favour but still. It kept Ferguson in the job during which he treated those same hacks with barely disguised contempt. They still fawned over him as he ignored or sneered at them and treated them as despised members of his own personal PR department. What goes around comes around.

vegas78
11-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Remember that cup final run up so well. Always remember plucky rochdale at our place and their keeper ( still remember his name ) Keith Welch having a blinder.

martin.cpfc
11-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Found this the other day when looking in the attic - hopefully a good omen.
:lux:

Radders
11-05-2016, 12:39 PM
We drove up in a little open back pick up truck with 4/5 sat in the back and 2 or 3 in the cab. wouldnt be allowed nowdays. Had 'GOA' going out of a speaker as well ass the 'b' side of the cup final song as we went through Kilburn and the like.
We were gobbed on and generally intimidated by large groups of Mancs around the stadium as we were badly outnumbered. The end behind the goal we were in had a whole block of Mancs in too, was a very strange scenario as a 17year old!
The game itself seemed to fly by, Wright off the bench put us close but in typical Palace style we were so near yet so far!

The replay was all a bit of a blur. Bumblebee kit, Lee Martin goal, more even spread of fans but no cigar!

This time Wembley is a better stadium, the tickets have been shared fairer and we live in hope that the result just might be positive.

Radders
11-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Found this the other day when looking in the attic - hopefully a good omen.
:lux:

I still got one of them!:p

stevek
11-05-2016, 12:44 PM
I was a student in Leeds at the time, so had missed most of the Cup run (I only went to the third round and the semi-final) and had had to get my dad to get my ticket (queuing time: 9 hours).

I may be the exception on here, but disappointing that it was not to hold on, I really thought we'd win the replay, so I was that despondent.

Jim's Cannon
11-05-2016, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=Radders;12983852]We drove up in a little open back pick up truck with 4/5 sat in the back and 2 or 3 in the cab.
QUOTE]

This started like some sort of bad Bruce Springsteen song !

:)

danpalace07
11-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Me and my Dad got offered a grand (I think each) for our tickets from a manure fan on the way to the grand. Just smiled.

No amount of money could buy my ticket for our final.

Bipe
12-05-2016, 05:46 AM
We drove up in a little open back pick up truck with 4/5 sat in the back and 2 or 3 in the cab. wouldnt be allowed nowdays. Had 'GOA' going out of a speaker as well ass the 'b' side of the cup final song as we went through Kilburn and the like.

We were gobbed on and generally intimidated by large groups of Mancs around the stadium as we were badly outnumbered. The end behind the goal we were in had a whole block of Mancs in too, was a very strange scenario as a 17year old!

The game itself seemed to fly by, Wright off the bench put us close but in typical Palace style we were so near yet so far!

The replay was all a bit of a blur. Bumblebee kit, Lee Martin goal, more even spread of fans but no cigar!

This time Wembley is a better stadium, the tickets have been shared fairer and we live in hope that the result just might be positive.

My God that B side was horrific...Where Eagles Fly was it called? Produced (I use the term loosely) in a Stock Aitken and Waterman style with lots of insipid keyboard riffs, and the squad in full drone mode over the top.

Crystal Palace, Crystal Palace, we are the best
Crystal Palace, Crystal Palace, we pass the test (or was it 'pass the test'??)

Don't write em like that anymore. That and the Americanos 12 inch mega mix are both sufficient to bring me out in a cold sweat of nostalgia.

Bipe
12-05-2016, 06:47 AM

My God that B side was horrific...Where Eagles Fly was it called? Produced (I use the term loosely) in a Stock Aitken and Waterman style with lots of insipid keyboard riffs, and the squad in full drone mode over the top.

Don't write em like that anymore. That and the Americanos 12 inch mega mix are both sufficient to bring me out in a cold sweat of nostalgia.

Radders
12-05-2016, 11:47 AM

Thats the one!:D Was proper shite!

CJ PLUM
13-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Prior to the 3rd round game against Portsmouth one of our group won a bottle of champagne in a raffle. As he couldn't take it into the ground we decided to get some paper cups and drink a toast to our Wembley run. Of course we won so had to repeat this for every subsequent round including all standing in the steet at 6:30 in the morning before loading up vans with the buffet stock for the 4 special trains to Villa Park. On the morning of the final we had a champagne breakfast at the Croydon Park Hotel.

Also during the pre-amble to the final kick-off on BBC John Motson made a remark about them installing seats even as he was speaking. This was actually true as the seats in the lower sections were taken out for greyhound racing and our section of seats had come loose. We spent the first 5 minutes of the game with some maintenance guy crawling between our legs with a spanner tightening all the bolts.One good result was that one of our group wrote to complain and managed to get a full refund for his 3 tickets.