PDA

View Full Version : Cult heroes and legends

Chris B
11-05-2016, 10:56 PM
The Kevin Phillips thread raised the question of whether he should be regarded as a legend or a cult hero. This has led to a more wide-ranging debate about which players fall into which category. Thought it deserved a thread in its own right. My vote goes:

Legends: Jim Cannon, John Jackson, Geoff Thomas, Dougie Freedman, Morrison, Speroni, Wright and Bright

Cult heroes: AJ, Lombardo, Don Rogers, Peter Taylor, Paul (Doris) Hinshelwood,
Andy Gray, Pardew. Nigel Martyn, Wilf,

Difficult to categorise but for me a legend has to have played 4 or 5 seasons or around 200 games. Apologies to those I've missed as this suggestion is from memory rather than thoroughly researched.

GorBlimey
11-05-2016, 11:08 PM
This is like trying to figure out which of your children mean the most to you.

Not sure anything good will come of it.

PMSL
11-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Legend: Teflon Phil. More admins than you can shake a stick at.

Cult Hero: The bird with the big tits and her mate that ran on the pitch a few years back.

Lougz
12-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Legend: Teflon Phil. More admins than you can shake a stick at.

Cult Hero: The bird with the big tits and her mate that ran on the pitch a few years back.

Bradford at home on a Tuesday night that was

hughff
12-05-2016, 03:17 AM
The Kevin Phillips thread raised the question of whether he should be regarded as a legend or a cult hero. This has led to a more wide-ranging debate about which players fall into which category. Thought it deserved a thread in its own right. My vote goes:

Legends: Jim Cannon 660, John Jackson388, Geoff Thomas249, Dougie Freedman368, Morrison316, Speroni387, Wright277 and Bright286

Cult heroes: AJ161, Lombardobugger all, Don Rogersnot many, Peter Taylora few, Paul (Doris) Hinshelwood319,
Andy Gray242, Pardewsome. Nigel Martyn349, Wilf220,

Difficult to categorise but for me a legend has to have played 4 or 5 seasons or around 200 games. Apologies to those I've missed as this suggestion is from memory rather than thoroughly researched.Appearances in Red on the basis of your criterion, this list needs some revising.

SilentAssassin
12-05-2016, 03:41 AM
AJ has to be a legend in my eyes. That hat trick against the scum, almost broke a record for consecutive hat tricks, almost kept us up largely through his goals and the season before that he was smashing in goals left right and centre.

Bipe
12-05-2016, 04:33 AM
Johnson was too 'mainstream' to ever be a cult hero.

Think Dave Madden, Michael Hughes, Andy Gray. There has to be something slightly different or even nuts about a cult hero. Billy Gilbert would be another decent example.

Walter Wort
12-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Rachid Harkouk. Ledge and cult hero.

monkey
12-05-2016, 06:58 AM
Clint Hill must qualify as a cult hero, not the greatest player we've ever had, but gave his all for the shirt, hard as nails and Clint is just such a cool name:supergrin:

SilentAssassin
12-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Danny Butterfield is a hard one to decide. Played a shed load of games and probably could/should have played more. The hat-trick against Wolves in the Cup will go down folklore and will probably never be repeated.

I can't decide whether he is legend status or cult hero!

smoll
12-05-2016, 07:26 AM
Clint Hill definitely a cult hero. So is Jedi

Heb 7:4
12-05-2016, 07:32 AM

Legends: Jim Cannon, John Jackson, Geoff Thomas, Dougie Freedman, Morrison, Speroni, Wright and Bright

Cult heroes: AJ, Lombardo, Don Rogers, Peter Taylor, Paul (Doris) Hinshelwood,
Andy Gray, Pardew. Nigel Martyn, Wilf,

Difficult to categorise but for me a legend has to have played 4 or 5 seasons or around 200 games. Apologies to those I've missed as this suggestion is from memory rather than thoroughly researched.

Nigel Martyn cult hero? Madness. Obvious legend.

Cult heroes are often such for a reason other than footballing ability. It's not a lesser type of legend. It might be a character quirk, an incident that happened, or simply because they are comically shit. Lief Andersen, Sasa Curcic, Eric Young and Dean Austin were all cult heroes.

Only Pardew and Gray in your list are cult heroes.

Steamy
12-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Ron Jeremy.

Steamy
12-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Oh....cult hero. Scratch that last one.

dave_who_ru
12-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Definitely Rachid Harkouk is a cult hero.

dave_who_ru
12-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Steve Kember a legend for all sorts of reasons.

Thanet Eagle
12-05-2016, 11:05 AM
Sean Derry as a cult hero.

gw_eagle97
12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Stuart O'Keefe has to be a cult hero, surely

ChaceTheAce
12-05-2016, 11:20 AM
AJ is a legend and my all time fave palace player. Will take something special to change that.

Oli28
12-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Players like Alan Lee are cult heroes.

Eli Cash
12-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Eddie McGoldrick cult hero.

SilentAssassin
12-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Dean Gordon is a legend in my eyes. Local lad, played with pride in the shirt and was a quality player to boot.

ExiledStirling
12-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Players like Alan Lee are cult heroes.
For some maybe, the ones who could ignore how shit he was, but surely that elbow to Jedi had him stripped of that title.

SilentAssassin
12-05-2016, 11:52 AM
For some maybe, the ones who could ignore how shit he was, but surely that elbow to Jedi had him stripped of that title.

Agree with this.

Glazier69
12-05-2016, 12:48 PM
I would say players like Curcic, Aki, Alan Lee, Clint Hill, John Burridge, Dave Madden, fall into the "Cult Hero" category.

For me, the Legends are Johnny Byrne, John Jackson, Jim Cannon, Vince Hilaire, Geoff Thomas, Wright & Bright, Dougie Freedman, Clinton Morrison, AJ

Panther
12-05-2016, 04:17 PM
I'd add Steve Kember to the Legends.

IpswichEagle
12-05-2016, 04:39 PM
A lot of this will depend on your age.

I never saw some of the true legends play, but in my years watching palace i would say -

Legends - Martyn / Wright / Bright / AJ / Aki / Speroni

Cult Hero - Derry / Hughes / Hill / Curcic / Ndah

Honourable mentions to the following players who didn't play long enough for us but that if they did, i am certain they would have become our legends -

Lombardo / Cole / Forsell / Jansen

Freedman would be a substitute legend on my list (dropped from matchday due to recent form)

Oli28
12-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Was never the most talented but a key player in the admin season. Still gets his name sung in the pubs at away games.

jimmy the gent
19-10-2017, 09:18 PM
This came up on the Allardcye discussion, thought about starting a thread on it, checked the searchbar and saw this, hence the bump...

My reading of it is people are far too free and easy with these terms.

A legend is someone whose presence is felt long after their association with the club is over.

A hero is someone who greatly enhanced the team he was playing in at the time. To the point of them being borderline irreplaceable.

A cult hero is someone whose personality endeared him to fans above his playing ability

So for me, as someone who started watching Palace in the late 80s.

Legends - Big Mal, Coppell, Ian Wright.

Heroes - Geoff Thomas, Nigel Martyn, Dougie Freedman, Mark Bright, Julian Speroni, Wilfried Zaha, AJ, Lombardo

Cult Heroes - Clinton Morrison, Aki, Sasa Curcic etc (this is more subjective)

Sick Bucket
19-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Bradford at home on a Tuesday night that was

Yeah brilliant. What struck me afterwards was that if I'd of run on the pitch waving my tits around I'd have been rugby tackled immediately but instead the game stopped and everyone, players, officials, fans etc just stood around thinking 'hmm wait a minute niiiice tits!' :lux:

sylvan eagle
19-10-2017, 09:50 PM
This came up on the Allardcye discussion, thought about starting a thread on it, checked the searchbar and saw this, hence the bump...

My reading of it is people are far too free and easy with these terms.

A legend is someone whose presence is felt long after their association with the club is over.

A hero is someone who greatly enhanced the team he was playing in at the time. To the point of them being borderline irreplaceable.

A cult hero is someone whose personality endeared him to fans above his playing ability

So for me, as someone who started watching Palace in the late 80s.

Legends - Big Mal, Coppell, Ian Wright.

Heroes - Geoff Thomas, Nigel Martyn, Dougie Freedman, Mark Bright, Julian Speroni, Wilfried Zaha, AJ, Lombardo

Cult Heroes - Clinton Morrison, Aki, Sasa Curcic etc (this is more subjective)

Never heard of Jim Cannon or Kenny Samson

jimmy the gent
19-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Yes, but never watched them play. Hence "So for me, as someone who started watching Palace in the late 80s."

DARZET EAGLE
19-10-2017, 10:16 PM

Or Johnny Byrne, Don Rogers, John Jackson, John Burridge, John Salako for starters.

jimmy the gent
19-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Again, I only am talking about mine, and as someone who starting going in the late 80s. And I loved Johnny salad but a legend or someone without whom the team would be massively weaker, not sure about that. But that’s why it’s subjective.

Reason I posted is that people use the words all the time to the point where their stripped of real significance. Imho it should be very special player to get called a legend or club hero

Youknowitstrue
19-10-2017, 11:11 PM
http://e2.365dm.com/10/01/480/Calvin-Andrew-Crystal-Palace_2402976.jpg?20100102173120

Ultimate Cult Hero

TAK
19-10-2017, 11:38 PM
Dean Austin for me.

We used to laugh at how he always had his hands in the air wanting to be passed to and rarely was.

Se9 eagles
20-10-2017, 06:08 AM
The Palace hard men are cult heroes-Billy Gilbert,Mark Dennis and a Henry Hughton....

Skiddo
20-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Darren Ambrose as to be a hero, surely. Not quite a legend though.

Palace Kebab
20-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Legends can't still be playing for us in my book. Pretty sure Wild is a legend in the making though.

Gabor - cult hero

917L
20-10-2017, 07:50 AM
http://e2.365dm.com/10/01/480/Calvin-Andrew-Crystal-Palace_2402976.jpg?20100102173120

Ultimate Cult Hero

No, he was just a terrible footballer playing at least two leagues above his level when with us

switchboard
20-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Clinton isn't a cult hero.

CPFC.1990
20-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Legends: Eric Young, Andy Thorn, Nigel Martyn, Geoff Thomas, Alan Pardew, Andy Gray, John Salako, Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Attilio Lombardo, David Hopkin, Chris Armstrong, Julian Speroni, AJ, Dougie Freedman

Heroes: Sasa Curcic, Clinton Morrison, The Admin squads, Wilf Zaha, Michael Hughes

Cult Heroes: Fan Zhiyi, Dean Gordon, Aki Riihilahti

Big Gav
20-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Great video with Aki on the Palace site. Definite cult hero

DARZET EAGLE
20-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Again, I only am talking about mine, and as someone who starting going in the late 80s. And I loved Johnny salad but a legend or someone without whom the team would be massively weaker, not sure about that. But that’s why it’s subjective.

Reason I posted is that people use the words all the time to the point where their stripped of real significance. Imho it should be very special player to get called a legend or club hero

I totally agree, clearly you can't judge players you havn't seen. I never saw Peter Simpson who pre war scored 165 goals in 195 appearances over six seasons. I guess he is a true legend of his day. As a veteran supporter I have been fortunate to see many legends and characters over the years from the late fifties, some of whom I quoted in my earlier post on this thread.:love:

Thanet Eagle
20-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Pardew is a cult hero for me. Definitely not a legend.

DARZET EAGLE
20-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Legends: Eric Young, Andy Thorn, Nigel Martyn, Geoff Thomas, Alan Pardew, Andy Gray, John Salako, Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Attilio Lombardo, David Hopkin, Chris Armstrong, Julian Speroni, AJ, Dougie Freedman

Heroes: Sasa Curcic, Clinton Morrison, The Admin squads, Wilf Zaha, Michael Hughes

Before your day perhaps, but add Johnny Byrne, John McCormick and Don Rogers to the legends list.

Jim Cannon
20-10-2017, 12:00 PM
my favourite cult hero of modern times is Aki. Earlier incarnations being Spider and Doris.

CPFC.1990
20-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Before your day perhaps, but add Johnny Byrne, John McCormick and Don Rogers to the legends list.

Yep, way before my time.

Malarkey
20-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Mamadou Sakho is already a cult hero

Malarkey
20-10-2017, 01:41 PM
Darren Ambrose as to be a hero, surely. Not quite a legend though.

Definitely a legend

Pat of the Palace
20-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Just for "that" goal, he's a legend.

in-exile
20-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Nookie .. gets my vote.
http://everyrecordtellsastory.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/now-for-nookie-roger-de-courcey-and-nookie-the-bear-1980.jpg

big bad John
20-10-2017, 11:44 PM
The classic example of a cult figure was John Yogi Hughes. Only played about 20 something games;scored four goals, but anyone who ever saw him perform in the claret and blue still talks fondly of him. Obviously Jacko, but I'd also put David Payne, Kember, Coppell along with Cannon in the Legends bracket. They've all been still supporting the club behind the scenes.
Big Mal- cult figure- Bert Head legend.

New LP
21-10-2017, 04:12 AM

A cult hero can be a player of limited ability though surely? In a way that’s the whole point.

Carl Veart or Dean Austin for example. Even Pardew (the player)

However, I agree that Lee blotted his copybook when he returned with Huddersfield.

New LP
21-10-2017, 04:15 AM
Pardew is a cult hero for me. Definitely not a legend.

He seemed to be a legend to many younger fans who’d never actually seen him play during his time as manager. Always thought that strange.

He was an example of a poor player who did one great thing, hence the ironic cult status.

jaspercpfc
21-10-2017, 06:19 AM

Dean Gordon is more deserving of cult hero status IMO. A local boy who chalked up 200+ games for us and was one of the standout performers in 93/94 (baring in mind he wasn't even a starter at the beginning of that season)
Never got the fuss about Sasa, I'd describe him as a maverick at best, but for me he was predominantly a passenger. He was good to watch, but he didn't really give a toss about us as a club, and the sort of player who was probably dreadful for morale.
I'd also give a special mention to Hermann for cult hero status. I remember his debut at home to Blackburn where he came on with about 20 mins to go. and this awkward marauding run down the left flank with a determined grimace endeared whim to the Selhurst faithful straight away.

Se9 eagles
21-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Alan Whittle.

wawman_15
21-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Koliņko? He was a bit crazy in goal but fits the cult hero criteria

Hal Low
21-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Ultimate Cult Hero

A good call. Not sure about 'ultimate' - but certainly the hardest working, most unlucky cult hero. A couple of goal in a couple of dozen games - but no defender could ever rest when facing him

DARZET EAGLE
21-10-2017, 02:05 PM
The classic example of a cult figure was John Yogi Hughes. Only played about 20 something games;scored four goals, but anyone who ever saw him perform in the claret and blue still talks fondly of him. Obviously Jacko, but I'd also put David Payne, Kember, Coppell along with Cannon in the Legends bracket. They've all been still supporting the club behind the scenes.
Big Mal- cult figure- Bert Head legend.

Good post, how about Jack Edwards as a cult figure, and Mark Lazarus.:D

AJ's right boot
25-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Geoff Thomas- Legend.

I will fight anyone that disagrees.

curly c.p.f.c
25-10-2017, 10:02 PM
He seemed to be a legend to many younger fans who’d never actually seen him play during his time as manager. Always thought that strange.

He was an example of a poor player who did one great thing, hence the ironic cult status.

100% even super Al song was a piss take.