PDA

View Full Version : the most fouling dirty cheating squads you recall

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
12-05-2016, 09:21 AM
there does seem to be massive pressure on referees to keep 22 players on the pitch. Especially for high profile games. And often players and managers are aware of this. The nuclear weapon of a Red Card seems to often be avioded because it is too severe.

maybe we should move to a Rugby style , 10 minute sin-bin for yellow, 20 minute for second yellow , and red card for a third offence.

Anyway, the Holland team in the 2010 World Cup gets my vote for the biggest cheats, scumbags and cynical foulers of all time. It is obvious that it was deliberate and planned by the manager. Every single one of them was doing kung-fu football. And for much of the final, Howard Webb turned a blind eye.

What squad gets your vote ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcIicsfW660

Big Gav
12-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Sheff Utd under Warnock

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Sheff Utd under Warnock

Is a good shout.

Practically any Uruguayan team in the World Cup.

Revie Leeds?

BERT'S HEAD
12-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Is a good shout.

Practically any Uruguayan team in the World Cup.

Revie Leeds?

Agree with Revie and Leeds.

Aside from Norman Hunter and Jack Charlton (the scandal surrounding his little black book with opponents he was going to do was enormous at the time) their most stylish player Johnny Giles was the most devious and dirtiest of the lot.

cpfc4evandeva
12-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Both us and Wimbledon in the late 80's and early 90's.

Not so much thugs though - just really ******* hard.

Breaking rocks
12-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Liverpool. Smith, Souness. Emlyn Hughes whining about everything.

Asagaya_Eagle
12-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Agree with Revie and Leeds.

Aside from Norman Hunter and Jack Charlton (the scandal surrounding his little black book with opponents he was going to do was enormous at the time) their most stylish player Johnny Giles was the most devious and dirtiest of the lot.

True but they could also play a bit

tvyJKWF5Q74

cpfc4evandeva
12-05-2016, 10:46 AM
I'd love to see a Palace team do that just once in my lifetime.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-05-2016, 11:05 AM
T5jVMSlpZhg

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-05-2016, 11:13 AM
NxTrIlRJOOM

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-05-2016, 11:16 AM
I think Argentina were very naughty in the 1966 World Cup too.

LONDONMAN
12-05-2016, 11:16 AM
A little before my time (I was born in 1963) but remember reading about Chile v Italy in the 1962 World Cup, where Italy tried to kick the crap out of the host nation.

T5jVMSlpZhg

The Battle of Santiago, still looks terrifying nearly 54 years later!

I think the Argentina side that played England in the 1966 World Cup were called Animals by the usually diplomatic Alf Ramsey.

The Palace game I have read about that sounded the worst took place in the 1920/21 season (Palace's first ever year in the Football League) in a midweek game in Division Three at the Nest, Selhurst.

Apparently the Southend team that played that afternoon (early closing on Wednesday afternoons back then!), so infuriated the Palace support, that several Palace supporters decided to get on the pitch and sort out the Southend players who had been fouling Palace players throughout the match.

Our only ever riot, resulted in a ground closure and our next home match v Exeter was played in Souhtampton (rivals in the League to Palace), although Palace still went on to win the Div 3 title that season.

Ted Smith, our leading goalscorer of the time, hardly played again after that match.

ExiledStirling
12-05-2016, 11:17 AM
I remember a Southampton team coming to Palace in the early seventies that kicked Palace all over the park to earn a nil all draw.

Therefore they became the first team I took a real dislike to.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Yeah the battle of Santiago was the first video I posted, but there is something so sad about the Pele 1966 one (although Pele could mix it up himself at times, perhaps as a result of this kind of treatment)

orp pisshead1
12-05-2016, 11:28 AM

According to Vinnie Jones scrap Wimbledon it was just us :lux:. They hated playing us .

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-05-2016, 11:29 AM
SqYEpVjpinI

jackstacks
12-05-2016, 11:31 AM
I remember a Southampton team coming to Palace in the early seventies that kicked Palace all over the park to earn a nil all draw.

Therefore they became the first team I took a real dislike to.

Same team 1976 - semi-final.

Maidstoned Eagle
12-05-2016, 11:34 AM
A
Swindon Town, when Steve McMahon managed them. They came to Selhurst in the 90's and kicked us all over the place, hated the team ever since.

LONDONMAN
12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
I didn't go to the match, but I was told Palace v Everton circa 1971 had Joe Royle being nearly being lynched after a series of nasty challenges?

cpfc4evandeva
12-05-2016, 02:03 PM
It's only one game but Cameroon in the opening game of the 1990 World Cup :D

KeRlJJbtdHc

Harry Bassett
12-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Martin Chivers fouled Jacko badly and a lynch mob gathered at the back of the stand. He probably found an escape tunnel that day.

Gillingham always seemed to have a kick anyone who moves tactics while ignoring the ball.

For balance we did have Bert Howe and a certain tackle by Henry Houghton with which I have always felt a sense of shame.

El Aguila
12-05-2016, 02:21 PM
I think the Argentina side that played England in the 1966 World Cup were called Animals by the usually diplomatic Alf Ramsey.

Some of that side were playing in this Atletico de Madrid side, eight years later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GTBqBlpXk . One of them beat up a cop in the tunnel afterwards, as well.

N Herts Eagle
12-05-2016, 02:48 PM
I didn't go to the match, but I was told Palace v Everton circa 1971 had Joe Royle being nearly being lynched after a series of nasty challenges? Was at that one the cup game 2-2 John Hughes stopped someone from the Arthur attacking the referee and was sent off latter. Royle took Jacko out with a kick to the chest.
Brought the Evening News at Kings Cross on the way home report suggested that the police were worried that if anything else happened there would be a pitch invasion by the fans in the second half .
Edit This thread worth a read the report by Danny Blanchflower is interesting to read http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185879

Battle of Santiago has always been rated by me as the worse.

Bipe
12-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Argentina were pretty tasty throughout the 1990 World Cup, perhaps learning from the kicking they took from Cameroon in the opening game.

Holland (again) versus Portugal in I think the 2006 World Cup was epic, something like 16 yellow cards from memory

ElwissAtMemphis
12-05-2016, 05:56 PM
The Battle of Santiago, still looks terrifying nearly 54 years later!

I love the way that Italian holds his hands outstretched as if innocently saying "what?!" seconds after kicking the opponent in the face at head height

Eaglesfan1
12-05-2016, 06:18 PM
Don't know how to embed but I think this puts the Battle of Santiago to shame :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puZ6t9MxbLc

N Herts Eagle
12-05-2016, 06:32 PM
I love the way that Italian holds his hands outstretched as if innocently saying "what?!" seconds after kicking the opponent in the face at head height The story gets better the referee that day was Ken Aston, in the clip I am not sure which incident it is but one of the punches by a Chile player breaks the nose of the Italian. Ken who is struggling with the game and the lino either miss it or ignore it the player is not even booked. In the first case of video evidence FIFA review the incident and decide the player is guilty punishment a retrospective caution. Not a red card sending off offence.
Well ok in those days red and yellow cards were not in use Ken had not invented them he did that latter in his career. Also he was at Wembley in 1966 for the Argentina game and involved in sorting out the fiasco over Rattin.

petertaylor11
12-05-2016, 07:02 PM
It's only one game but Cameroon in the opening game of the 1990 World Cup :D

KeRlJJbtdHc

I just love this one. Just sit back and wait for what inevitably is going to happen. Massing loses his boot too.

Dub Pal Dan
12-05-2016, 07:19 PM
A
Swindon Town, when Steve McMahon managed them. They came to Selhurst in the 90's and kicked us all over the place, hated the team ever since.

This.

Am Phibian
12-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Atletico Madrid at Celtic European Cup in 1973. Next day my class were all on the school playing field kicking lumps out of each other with the ball nowhere to be seen, and loving it.

There is a Youtube vid. Jimmy Johnstone didn't wear shinpads which deserved a George Cross.

ElwissAtMemphis
12-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Some of that side were playing in this Atletico de Madrid side, eight years later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47GTBqBlpXk . One of them beat up a cop in the tunnel afterwards, as well.

I can't understand a word of the analysis but there's no disguising the relish in their voices as they nostalgically relive yet another potentially career ending kick, hack and borderline arrestable assault. The contrast with David Colman's attitude earlier is striking.

New LP
12-05-2016, 07:57 PM
I remember Swindon about 15 years ago at Selhurst being the most dirty cheating bastards I'd ever seen. We lost 2-1 and I was insensed.

New LP
12-05-2016, 07:58 PM
A

I honestly hadn't read this before posting.

Glad someone else remembers it.

New LP
12-05-2016, 07:59 PM

I don't think we were cheats then just very direct and didn't give a toss about reputations.

dim
12-05-2016, 08:44 PM
West Brom came down in the late 80s under Brian Talbott and were absolute cnts.

cranesparkeagle
12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
The Portugal and Holland teams in that game in the Euros

Don Revies Leeds

Wimbledon with Wise, Jones and Fashanu who used his elbow like a spear.

Stoke under Pulis mostly but renewed last week. 60s/70s Chelsea. Nearly as bad as Leeds

El Aguila
12-05-2016, 09:16 PM
I can't understand a word of the analysis but there's no disguising the relish in their voices as they nostalgically relive yet another potentially career ending kick, hack and borderline arrestable assault. The contrast with David Colman's attitude earlier is striking.

Yeah, they're loving it!
It's amazing the way Jinky Johnstone (who is the main target of their ire) keeps getting up and running at them. Real courage. They played six defenders!

El Aguila
12-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Atletico Madrid at Celtic European Cup in 1973. Next day my class were all on the school playing field kicking lumps out of each other with the ball nowhere to be seen, and loving it.

There is a Youtube vid. Jimmy Johnstone didn't wear shinpads which deserved a George Cross.

See my post.

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
13-05-2016, 03:02 PM
not exactly violent, but every Mourinho Team love to dive, waste time, do professional fouls, roll around the ground like they have been stabbed, and generally badger the referee

EmmerGreenEagle
13-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Yes Swindon under McMahon. Mark Walters and Scott Mcgleish were disgraceful

big bad John
13-05-2016, 10:02 PM
I didn't go to the match, but I was told Palace v Everton circa 1971 had Joe Royle being nearly being lynched after a series of nasty challenges?

I write the occasional article for Backpass football magazine and coincidentally they have a piece I wrote on that match in the latest issue. I was a bit surprized as it was over six years ago when I sent it out to them. A cup tie that had everything.

wedgetail
13-05-2016, 10:30 PM
A

I will never forget that game. The ref was an utter disgrace.