PDA

View Full Version : French Euro squad announced

kabbott
12-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Cabaye in the squad by the skin of his teeth. Diarra is the main man to play the holding role in front of the defence. Kanté has probably overtaken Yohan in the last couple of months.
The big debate tonight is the non-selection of Ben Arfa who has been one of the top 3 players over here this season and whose attitude has been totally transformed since his transfer to Nice last summer. Barcelona are said to be more than interested.
Other surprises are the non-selection of Lacazette (Lyon) who finished the season as 2nd top scorer behind Ibrahimovic and the selection of the relatively unknown defender Sidibé ahead of Samuel Umtiti (Lyon) who's been very good in the second half of the season!

Goalkeepers : Hugo Lloris, Steve Mandanda, Benoît Costil

Defenders : Raphael Varane, Laurent Koscielny, Eliaquim Mangala, Jérémy Mathieu, Patrice Evra, Bacary Sagna, Christophe Jallet, Lucas Digne

Midfielders : Paul Pogba, Blaise Matuidi, Lassana Diarra, N’Golo Kanté, Yohan Cabaye, Moussa Sissoko

Forwards : Antoine Griezmann, Dimitri Payet, Anthony Martial, Kingsley Coman, Olivier Giroud, André-Pierre Gignac

On standby : Alphonse Areola, Hatem Ben Arfa, Kevin Gameiro, Alexandre Lacazette, Adrien Rabiot, Morgan Schneiderlin, Djibril Sidibé, Samuel Umtiti

pardew's shorts
12-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Such strength in depth.

Heck of a squad, even accounting for absentees, particularly Benzema.

I make France favourites.

GorBlimey
12-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Such strength in depth.

You would think that but they're going to fall over at some point.

Germany looms large like some kind of looming thing.

meee
12-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Laporte,Benzema,Nasri,Ribery,Kondogbia.Obviously all out for different reasons but that is a great choice to have.I would have Kante starting over Diarra.

Bones14
12-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Cabaye in the squad by the skin of his teeth. Diarra is the main man to play the holding role in front of the defence. Kanté has probably overtaken Yohan in the last couple of months.
The big debate tonight is the non-selection of Ben Arfa who has been one of the top 3 players over here this season and whose attitude has been totally transformed since his transfer to Nice last summer. Barcelona are said to be more than interested.
Other surprises are the non-selection of Lacazette (Lyon) who finished the season as 2nd top scorer behind Ibrahimovic and the selection of the relatively unknown defender Sidibé ahead of Samuel Umtiti (Lyon) who's been very good in the second half of the season!

Goalkeepers : Hugo Lloris, Steve Mandanda, Benoît Costil

Defenders : Raphael Varane, Laurent Koscielny, Eliaquim Mangala, Jérémy Mathieu, Patrice Evra, Bacary Sagna, Christophe Jallet, Lucas Digne

Midfielders : Paul Pogba, Blaise Matuidi, Lassana Diarra, N’Golo Kanté, Yohan Cabaye, Moussa Sissoko

Forwards : Antoine Griezmann, Dimitri Payet, Anthony Martial, Kingsley Coman, Olivier Giroud, André-Pierre Gignac

On standby : Alphonse Areola, Hatem Ben Arfa, Kevin Gameiro, Alexandre Lacazette, Adrien Rabiot, Morgan Schneiderlin, Djibril Sidibé, Samuel Umtiti

Looks great on paper............................................. .....

Bipe
13-05-2016, 05:20 AM
Interesting to see that Schneiderlin is only on stand by...he has had a really mediocre season at the wankers.

Ruskin Old Boy
13-05-2016, 06:21 AM
Interesting to see that Schneiderlin is only on stand by...he has had a really mediocre season at the wankers.

Cost, what, double the price we paid for Cabaye.

Littlecaesar
13-05-2016, 07:26 AM
Cabaye did the right thing joining us even if it was largely to get regular first team football to make the Euros.

CPFC_DAVE77
13-05-2016, 08:54 AM
No Valbuena

palacea
13-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Cabaye did the right thing joining us even if it was largely to get regular first team football to make the Euros.

He won't play, and rightly so.

Littlecaesar
13-05-2016, 09:15 AM
He won't play, and rightly so.

Depends on whether the French implode or not off the field. DD seems to have more control over them to be fair to him mind.

richdeniro
13-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Is Steve Mandanda on a free transfer from Marseille this summer?

Timbo
13-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I dunno, is it that good a squad??

switchboard
13-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I dunno, is it that good a squad??

Twice as good as anything we can potentially put together imo.

ChaceTheAce
13-05-2016, 09:50 AM
France would tear us a new one.

switchboard
13-05-2016, 09:59 AM
I can't really see one English player getting in that squad, maybe Vardy or Kane for one of the strikers.

Their midfield has to be the best in the tournament?

Timbo
13-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Twice as good as anything we can potentially put together imo.

So not that good then......;)

ChaceTheAce
13-05-2016, 10:07 AM
I can't really see one English player getting in that squad, maybe Vardy or Kane for one of the strikers.

Their midfield has to be the best in the tournament?

Yep, would rather both them than shit-house Giroud.

knowlesyUCLA
13-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Deschamps clearly has a thing for Cabaye, probably because they are/were similar types of players. He hasn’t stood out at all for us over the course of the season.

Pogba, Kante, Matuidi is a seriously powerful midfield. Put them behind Martial, Griezmann and Coman/Payet and you have the favourites for the title.

kabbott
13-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Is Steve Mandanda on a free transfer from Marseille this summer?

Yes, he is, and I mentioned this on the French football thread ("le championnat") a week or two ago. He's had an excellent season in spite of everything that's been happening in Marseille this season. Although I quite like Wayne, Steve Mandanda would be more than an upgrade though I'm sure he'll after a "bigger" club than us. Now if we could offer him European football next season ...
(Marseille's Cameroonian CB Nkoulou is also available on a free this summer, just saying like)

GB2506
13-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Deschamps clearly has a thing for Cabaye, probably because they are/were similar types of players. He hasn’t stood out at all for us over the course of the season.

Pogba, Kante, Matuidi is a seriously powerful midfield. Put them behind Martial, Griezmann and Coman/Payet and you have the favourites for the title.

Cabaye was raved about on here in the first half of the season. If you look back on the match ratings threads there was nothing but praise. Like the rest of the team he has struggled in the 2nd half of the season.

Deschamps know's Cabaye is a class act and with better players around him and players that are on his footballing wavelength he belongs in that squad.

Sadly we dont have many players in our squad on his level, France do.

Pubface
13-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Amazing strength in depth. When you consider Alexandre Lacazette is easily going to go for at least 20 million plus this summer and he is only on standby.

aj4england
13-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Defensively not the best in think. Mangala? Sagna? Does Evra still have it? Varane has barely played this year. Lloris is dodgy on his day. Also a bit lightweight up top.

Still an impressive squad on their day

sirdougie
13-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Good squad that!

danpalace07
13-05-2016, 11:56 AM
They're going to walk it

Benzhiyi
13-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Umtiti and Areola on standby? He's boobed there, surely.

Jim Cannon
13-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Doesn't that squad need to be trimmed down by about 10 players for the final cut anyway?

EDIT didn't read properly, was counting the standby players.

Well good that Cabaye made it, but not expecting him to figure much

PALACEFAN
13-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Such strength in depth.

They've always got a good squad. You need more than that though, which is where the question mark always lies with France.

postman plod
13-05-2016, 09:12 PM
:supergrin:

cranesparkeagle
13-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Will Schneiderlin be up for it in the cup final after this and sorry I cant take a player called Umtiti seriously

Timbo
13-05-2016, 10:30 PM

:eek: :D

True, with Diarra in there as well he has made some shitty selections!

meee
13-05-2016, 10:34 PM
and sorry I cant take a player called Umtiti seriously

You might if you saw his goal against Tottenham.:D

Stellavista
14-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Can France and Germany meet before the Semi-finals?
That's the only hope anyone else has got.

kabbott
30-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Tonight:

France 3:2 Cameroon

Another unstoppable free-kick from Payet in thr closing minutes saves France's skin. Cabaye came on for a 15-minute cameo at the end and had 2 great chances saved by the Cameroon keeper.
France's defence looked very dodgy having lost Sakho (doping offence), Varane (injury) and Mathieu (injury). Evra and Sagna are hopeless FBs, Rami (FC Sevilla) looked totally out of his depth and Koscielny was hardly much better.
The French matches could be very entertaining affairs in a couple of weeks!

11ZLJfmQMFo

Golf Boy
31-05-2016, 05:26 AM
Defensively not the best in think. Mangala? Sagna? Does Evra still have it? Varane has barely played this year. Lloris is dodgy on his day. Also a bit lightweight up top.

Still an impressive squad on their day

Lloris dodgy?

GB2506
01-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Big news for Yohan. Lass Diara has pulled out injured, Schniederlin called up but Yohan could be in with a good shout of starting in the holding role.

Wolfnipplechips
01-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Big news for Yohan. Lass Diara has pulled out injured, Schniederlin called up but Yohan could be in with a good shout of starting in the holding role.

Think they'll go with Jedinak.;)

CPFC_DAVE77
01-06-2016, 11:43 AM
If France and Englnd play each other it will be a cracker.

Look at the CB options. Potentially Sakho and Stones dicking about at the heart of each defence.

Owngoal
01-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Thought Evra would have been thinking about retirement by now? France recently have been too much like England, not as good as the sum of the parts should be.

CommercialStone
01-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Great squad, the first team is not THAT good.