PDA

View Full Version : How good was Bill Glazier?

eagleforlife
13-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm too young to remember, but my dad speaks very highly of him.

He doesn't seem to get much of a mention on here. I was just wondering what the general opinion of him was?

Dorking .Eagle
13-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Might get a better response in memory lane, some very long memories over there :p;)

eagleforlife
13-05-2016, 12:21 PM
True, stupid place to put this thread actually :p

Harry Bassett
13-05-2016, 12:43 PM
We sold him to Coventry for a then record transfer fee and in my opinion our best keeper since Tootal and Graham when I started at Selhurst--Just ahead of Martyn and Jacko.

We have been blessed with some great keeper-Roy Bailey and Roy Potter were others.

Billy Callender before my time was reckoned to be another--apparently he spent a lot of time at Thornton Heath Rec where I spent a lot of my childhood.

N Herts Eagle
13-05-2016, 01:04 PM
In simple terms one of our best ever keepers who left to early. I was devastated when I read the news in the Daily Express thats how well I remember it. Leaving us in 1964 I was stil yong but was one of my first heros, and his name made him right for the club as well. Played over a 100 games for us and was 21 when he left.
He progressed at Coventry and was destined for international honours and think he had a chance until injury ruined it. In the days of Gordon Banks rumours were he was one of those in line to be the reserve in the 1966 World Cup squad he was playing for he England Under 23 side by then. However injury a broken leg cost him nearly a season in 1965/66 and never had time to get back in time to make the squad.
I am with others from that era who will tell you there are a collection of great keepers in my time Jackson Martyn Speroni. Bill is up there as being as good if not better than all of them.

Pikie Punisher
13-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Strange, only yesterday I was watching this match on YouTube, don't ask me why (I just love late sixties/early seventies footage, my favourite era). BG in goal for Cov.

https://youtu.be/r5v5-QXrRQo

Martin H
13-05-2016, 01:20 PM
In simple terms one of our best ever keepers who left to early. I was devastated when I read the news in the Daily Express thats how well I remember it. Leaving us in 1964 I was stil yong but was one of my first heros, and his name made him right for the club as well. Played over a 100 games for us.
He progressed at Coventry and was destined for international honours and think he had a chance until injury ruined it. In the days of Gordon Banks rumours were he was one of those in line to be the reserve in the 1966 World Cup squad he was playing for he England Under 23 side by then. However injury a broken leg cost him nearly a season in 1965/66 and never had time to get back in time to make the squad.
I am with others from that era who will tell you there are a collection of great keepers in my time Jackson Martyn Speroni. Bill is up there as being as good if not better than all of them.

Strangely I saw him play more for Coventry than I did for Palace. I was only 9 when he left us for Highfield Road and then shortly afterwards we moved up to Leicester and most of my live football back then was at Coventry where a mate's Dad used to take us regularly. He was a really solid and reliable keeper. Carried a bit of weight towards the end but didn't bother him. He did have 'the odd moment' every now and then where he would get completely caught out and there would be a comedy moment but they were infrequent. Super reliable but not flashy is how I remember him. Well loved at Coventry too. To me he was always a Palace player turning out for them. :)

Hedgehog
13-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Couple of odd photos of him while at Palace:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af333/rhodgkin01/3_Bill%20Glazier%202.jpg

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af333/rhodgkin01/3_Bill%20Glazier%201.jpg

Ruskin Old Boy
13-05-2016, 06:50 PM
He was very good and he was a crowd pleaser, big smile, always appreciated the applause. Devastated when he left but cheered him the first time we played Coventry (at Highfield Road) after he'd left.

Not long afterwards along came Jacko so we got over Bill G's departure. That's football.

Old Bill
13-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Strange, only yesterday I was watching this match on YouTube, don't ask me why (I just love late sixties/early seventies footage, my favourite era). BG in goal for Cov.

https://youtu.be/r5v5-QXrRQo
Glazier was clearly at fault for Chelsea's second goal!

DARZET EAGLE
13-05-2016, 08:01 PM
I would say that Bill is in the top three all time great Palace keepers with Nigel Martyn and Jacko, He was absolutely fearless and very agile. What a name for a Palace keeper!!:lux::lux:

stigsdad
13-05-2016, 08:13 PM
He was awesome, just like Vic Rouse who was picked for Wales when the English national team were top of their game, but come on we always manage to get demigod goalkeepers who were or are excellent between the sticks.

Pikie Punisher
13-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Glazier was clearly at fault for Chelsea's second goal!

No, if you look closely David Webb elbows him in the bollocks and takes him out. I wrote to Brian Moore at the time stating exactly that but never received a reply.

mrgins
14-05-2016, 12:39 AM
He was one of my fave players. Very acrobatic but almost seemed to make a meal out of even the simplest save. Very disappointed when he left

StonePenge
14-05-2016, 12:48 AM
I was only a lad at the time but I thought he was really good. I don't remember any howlers.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
14-05-2016, 05:38 AM
I'm too young to remember, but my dad speaks very highly of him.

He doesn't seem to get much of a mention on here. I was just wondering what the general opinion of him was?

He was a glass act

KYLIE MINEAGLE
14-05-2016, 08:55 AM
If I remember correctly the 36000 Coventry paid was then a world record for a keeper. Glazier was the No 1 when I started going. When he left Tony Millington who was the wales keeper had a spell as first choice. Then the great one took over and was not dislodged for years.

evvo111
21-05-2016, 09:45 AM
He was awesome, just like Vic Rouse who was picked for Wales when the English national team were top of their game, but come on we always manage to get demigod goalkeepers who were or are excellent between the sticks.

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/cms_images/rouse61-2299914.jpg