Never knew we were that bad until now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950%E2%80%9351_in_English_football

New Brighton too. The Northern Weed.

Harry Bassett
23-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Never knew we were that bad until now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950%E2%80%9351_in_English_football

New Brighton too. The Northern Weed.

Three of the teams in Div 3 south now in the Premier league,did not know that Scunthorpe & Lindsey United existed in Div 3 north.

This also explains why so few of us who supported Palace in those days join in with the moaners-worn the T shirt so many times!

CP Satellite
23-05-2016, 01:35 PM
A good twenty years before my Palace supporting days, but I read about Ronnie Rooke, who seemed very much in the Palace mould of a former player coming back, initially as a hero and then a complete reversal of fortune.

Seems he had a big turn over of players in the summer of 1950 and couldn't carry on the good form from the end of the 1949/50 season.

The re-election system that meant the bottom two clubs in Divisions 3 South and North went in Palace's favour as the club still managed to average well over 10,000 plus average gates even with appaling results, with visiting clubs getting a share of gate reciepts, Palace got voted back into the League quite comfortably in all three seasons where the club finished in the bottom two.

Looking from afar, the 50's seemed to mirror the 1980's as holding out promise, collapsing into a nightmare and then gradually turning into a platform for a surge in form in the last two or three years of the decade, especially after a certain Johnny Byrne arrived on the scene.

tony 1947
25-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Yes! What aterrible season and so much expected at the start. More than a 23,000 was spent out by the new board which included Mr A. J. Wait before the start of the season, alot of money in those days especially for a Third Division South team. Ronnie Rooke retired from playing played again retired once more and then was dismissed at the end of November. It was left to Fred Dawes and Charlie Slade to pick up the pieces which was an impossible job. Ronnie Rooke with 5 goals in 6 games finished up top scorer. Please see the 'Advertiser' piece attached before the start of the season. I will put the end of season report later if you like?

ammiller
25-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Tony,

Love it mate.
There is a bit in that report that says that "Bostock has not agreed terms - and has left the club to join Canterbury!!!"

In 1950!
Any relation?

maestro
25-05-2016, 04:45 PM
we were concentrating on the cup

tony 1947
25-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Thanks. I do not think so Ben Bostock was born in Mansfield and joined us from Epsom. Looking at the fees it seems to be nearer 30,OOO.

Raggy
25-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Three of the teams in Div 3 south now in the Premier league,

...and two of them have won European Cups

Jim Cannon
25-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Way back in the old days we had to seek re election to the league a few times. Kids - they didn't automatically relegate you from the football league in the old days. You were allowed to grease a few palms and get voted back in again

Harry Bassett
25-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Yes! What aterrible season and so much expected at the start. More than a 23,000 was spent out by the new board which included Mr A. J. Wait before the start of the season, alot of money in those days especially for a Third Division South team. Ronnie Rooke retired from playing played again retired once more and then was dismissed at the end of November. It was left to Fred Dawes and Charlie Slade to pick up the pieces which was an impossible job. Ronnie Rooke with 5 goals in 6 games finished up top scorer. Please see the 'Advertiser' piece attached before the start of the season. I will put the end of season report later if you like?

The advertiser page is very interesting with mention of Charlie Chase who was abysmal as a midfield player but we converted him into a superb centre half.

Noel Kelly who was one of our better players at that time. Other than Palace, mention was also made of Mark Hart and Albert Finch two of Coydons best ever Boxers.

Sleeping Giant
25-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Blimey, Bromley were winning the FA Amateur Cup in front of @93,000 at Wembley (live on tv I read somewhere) just 2 years before this. Couldn't have been much between us around then.

gold76
25-05-2016, 09:10 PM
As an aside- how close were the votes for re-election?

God knows where we would be know if we were voted out.

The likes of Workington and Southport haven't returned to the majors as yet.

geoffh
25-05-2016, 10:02 PM
voting by season is available on link below but it does show how the 'old boys' network kept most clubs in the league

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=3506

tony 1947
26-05-2016, 08:18 AM
Very interesting how the votes went. Thanks for that. I remember the surprise when Peterborough United were elected for 1960-61. Shame they beat us twice but what attendances at both games 36,478 at home 21,171 away. Gateshead were the unlucky team and they were not the bottom club.

tony 1947
28-05-2016, 07:40 AM
The advertiser page is very interesting with mention of Charlie Chase who was abysmal as a midfield player but we converted him into a superb centre half.Noel Kelly who was one of our better players at that time. Other than Palace, mention was also made of Mark Hart and Albert Finch two of Coydons best ever Boxers.

Also Raman Subba Row became an England cricket international and played for Surrey and I believe Northants

Danny_Cheviot
28-05-2016, 07:47 AM
You know that saying when you reach 'rock bottom' the only was is up.

Come on Palace. :lux:

Ardent
24-10-2016, 08:45 PM
I always think back to the fifties when we get a bad result, it seems that we suffered more than most post war, as pre-war we were always challenging. Now losing to a Premier team seems disastrous, but really!
So many heroes have put us into the top echelon, get a grip you moaners!

Chocky
27-10-2016, 04:27 PM
It was very difficult to lose league status for many years with the re election process. There were probably people on the BBS back then who wanted us to go back to the good old days of the Southern League.

bestperch
28-10-2016, 08:11 PM
I see from that article that the seaweed were in Division Three South for the whole thirty years it existed. Thought with their illustrious history they'd have been fighting for the First Division title every season.:D

Jim Cannon
28-10-2016, 09:48 PM
I see from that article that the seaweed were in Division Three South for the whole thirty years it existed. Thought with their illustrious history they'd have been fighting for the First Division title every season.:D

To be fair to them, they probably had a huge away following and if only there had been play offs they would have got promoted. Oh Wait...

KYLIE MINEAGLE
31-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Very interesting how the votes went. Thanks for that. I remember the surprise when Peterborough United were elected for 1960-61. Shame they beat us twice but what attendances at both games 36,478 at home 21,171 away. Gateshead were the unlucky team and they were not the bottom club.

Were they elected because Accrington Stanley went out of business ?

N Herts Eagle
31-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Were they elected because Accrington Stanley went out of business ? Nope they replaced Gateshead.....Accrington Stanley were replaced by Oxford... I think I maybe wrong Cambridge Utd were the next club elected replacing Bradford Park Avenue in 1970 for Palace it meant we signed John Hardie as reserve keeper from the Football league not Bradford PA as they held the contract. He never played in the first team due to Jacko
A couple of points on other comments Scunthopre and Lindsey was the original name Scunthorpe is in the region of Lindsey as its known in Lincolnshire, just up the road from me.
Hartlepool were originally Hartlepools

tony 1947
31-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Nope they replaced Gateshead.....Accrington Stanley were replaced by Oxford... I think I maybe wrong Cambridge Utd were the next club elected replacing Bradford Park Avenue in 1970 for Palace it meant we signed John Hardie as reserve keeper from the Football league not Bradford PA as they held the contract. He never played in the first team due to Jacko
A couple of points on other comments Scunthopre and Lindsey was the original name Scunthorpe is in the region of Lindsey as its known in Lincolnshire, just up the road from me.

Cambridge Utd did replace Bradford Park Avenue 1970. According to the Croydon Advertiser Palace signed John Hardie from them on the Monday after he had played for them and lost to Netherfield 0-2 in their first game in the Northern Premier League on Aug 15 1970.

Chocky
02-11-2016, 04:47 PM
Nope they replaced Gateshead.....Accrington Stanley were replaced by Oxford... I think I maybe wrong Cambridge Utd were the next club elected replacing Bradford Park Avenue in 1970 for Palace it meant we signed John Hardie as reserve keeper from the Football league not Bradford PA as they held the contract. He never played in the first team due to Jacko

Liverpools, Blackpools and Thornton Heath Swimming Pools. And Pooles in Dorsets.

dave_who_ru
02-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Always fascinating looking back particularly the Christmas fixtures:

23 Dec Swindon home won 2-0
25 Dec Northampton home drew 0-0
26 Dec Northampton away lost 2-0

The last time the majority of clubs played on Christmas Day and Boxing Day was the 1957/58 season.