PDA

View Full Version : History of the weaker team winning the game

Seagull-Eater_ Miss_Selhurst_ SE19_denizen
23-05-2016, 11:16 AM
we woz robbed by Clattenburg.

plain and simple. In football, the team that scores first always has a massive advantage. Who knows what would have happened but for a dodgy referee.

But in fairness, ManUre were a better team. With all their money is it any surprise ? In terms of possession, shots on target, corners conceded, bouncing off the woodwork beyond Hennessey's reach, tackles won etc etc...they were all over us. We played like heroes. Like 300 spartans at the gates of Thermopylae. We should have won.

Normally you do not mind when the best team wins. But ManUre didnt beat us, Clattenburg did.

So, what other examples of David beating Goliath.

For openers.....Glasgow Celtic beating Barcelona a couple of years ago.

what others ?

Pistol Knight
23-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Bright*n beating .....ermmmm nobody actually cancel that

Chobham Eagle
23-05-2016, 12:30 PM
19 out of the last 21 FA Cups have been won by one of the big 5 corporate brands. And one of the two exceptions was Portsmouth who were lucky enough to be playing Cardiff and in any case were splashing the cash around like a big 5 corporate even though they didn't have it.

CedarEagle
23-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Let's be honest here, even though it was a truly awful bit of refereeing by Clattenburg, if he had given advantage would Wickham have scored in a one-on-one v De Gea. I don't think he would have.

Pointless speculation anyway. Move on.

NRM the 2nd
23-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Exactly. Even if he had the game would have panned out completely differently possibly the better or the worse. Always felt our best shot would be taking the lead late on.......well we did that and couldn't hang on for 10 mins let alone 70 odd

Twilko
23-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Let's be honest here, even though it was a truly awful bit of refereeing by Clattenburg, if he had given advantage would Wickham have scored in a one-on-one v De Gea. I don't think he would have.

Pointless speculation anyway. Move on.

... and even if he had scored, the game after that point would have played out differently. It's silly to say "if he'd played on we would have won 2-1" because the game would have been completely different from that point on. We couldn't hold to the lead with 10 minutes to go, so who's to say we could have done it with more left on the clock?

Even with the poor decisions we were still in strong positions at 1-0 up and then 1-1 with a man advantage. It was more about a couple of moments of poor defending for me, but then it's very hard to keep concentration levels up when you are under siege for 120 minutes.

Either way I'd rather just feel pride in this team than waste time feeling bitter about refereeing or the :jerkit:s we lost to.

Twilko
23-05-2016, 01:15 PM
Exactly. Even if he had the game would have panned out completely differently possibly the better or the worse. Always felt our best shot would be taking the lead late on.......well we did that and couldn't hang on for 10 mins let alone 70 odd

Got there before me!

Son of Ron
23-05-2016, 01:19 PM
if my auntie had bollocks etc. etc.

Glaws Eagle
24-05-2016, 03:54 AM
? In terms of possession, shots on target, corners conceded, bouncing off the woodwork beyond Hennessey's reach, tackles won etc etc... ?

Actually .... we had 6 shots on target to their 3 .... conscientious pedant and all that

Grim Reaper
25-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Cambridge 2 Palace 0 - Dec 1999

Why, out of all the million Cup upsets, that entered my head first I'll never know!!

monkey
27-05-2016, 04:13 PM
So, what other examples of David beating Goliath.

For openers.....Glasgow Celtic beating Barcelona a couple of years ago.

what others ?

Mighty Leeds 0 little old third division palace 1 1976

"It had to happen" :lux: