PDA

View Full Version : Who are Palace's Best/ worst Palace signings of all time?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 09:22 AM
No set criteria, whatever you like - who are your top 10 Palace signings and who are your worst 10? I have chosen mine only including players I watched (so late 80s onwards) and based the selection on their impact (or lack of) at Palace and factored in how much they cost too - so value for money. They are in order of the transfers (I think) not in preference.

Best 10

Ian Wright - obvious choice, bargain, unknown and probably the best player we ever had.

Geoff Thomas - very low cost, terrific player, terrific leader and key cog in our best ever side.

Mark Bright - plucked from Leicester so cheaply and huge impact at club. Another key figure in our best ever team.

Nigel Martyn - The last one from that great side. Served us so well and for many, many years

David Hopkin (1st time round) - what a superb player, such quality on the ball and in front of goal - good at curling one at Wembley.

Andy Johnson - We got 4m plus AJ for Morrison. A joy to watch and took us up, almost kept us up. Loads of goals and a lot of assists too. Such a huge impact on that team and so likeable too.

Darren Ambrose - Free transfer who supplied so many great moments and was vital in keeping us up at the time of our greatest need. Plus that goal at Old Trafford!

Mile Jedinak - Another free (I think?) Superb player, headers, tackles, a few goals, a few assists and a great leader. Key figure in promotion and keeping us up.

Yannick Bolasie - Bargain buy who has improved so much, helped us go up and arguably has been our most regular match winner in last 3 seasons

Scott Dann - exactly the right player at that time. Essential part of keeping us up for these last 3 seasons and very, very good price

Special mentions: Armstrong, Freedman (2nd time), Jansen, Delaney, Ward

Worst 10

Gareth Taylor - can't remember the fee but I know it was big and wow, he was poor. Did he just get 1 goal?

Neil Emblem - Didn't we spend around 2m on him? Don't even understand the logic or idea with this one. Was never, ever going to be worth that.

Valerian Ismael - Record signing but a disaster - day a good player in there but his time at Palace was awful

Lee Bradbury - Think we paid close to 2m for him - complete flop although I thought he tried at least but we sold Marcus Bent for peanuts and signed him for a lot -crazy!

Ade Akinbiyi - We were desperate for a good strong striker, we didn't have much mk ey to waste and we bought a player whose confidence was already destroyed by a very expensive move. We paid around 2m?

David Hopkin (2nd time) - so, so poor and again we paid a significant fee.

Jon Macken - Another very expensive flop. Didn't suit us at all and barely scored any goals even in a decent Palace side.

Nick Carle - Around 1m spent on the basis of one good game vrs. us - pathetic scouting policy. My brother works at BC and they were already disappointed by Carle there - only played in play offs as Lee Johnson injured - they couldn't believe their luck when we came along with the bid.

Jimmy Kebe - Believe we played around 2m and a few poor performances that was him gone.

Zeki Fryers - Desperate for a left back and we signed this guy for a significant fee, I guess big wages and he is nowhere near the team

Special mentions: Florian Marange, David Ansalem, Michele Padavano, Itzik Zohar

So what would yours be?

jaspercpfc
26-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Gareth Taylor - can't remember the fee but I know it was big and wow, he was poor. Did he just get 1 goal?

Scenes at the Victoria Ground when Taylor scored a looping header on a freezing wet December day.
Bradbury was an average player and another of Venables dodgy signings but was reportedly a really good player to have around at the time. when the club was on it's knees. Surprised There's no mention of Kuqi, Zohar or Mortimer.

RDSdaEAGLE
26-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Damien Delaney?

On a free, initially as a short-term deal. Won us promotion, secured safety, secured it again, did it one more time and also helped to get us to the FA Cup final. Has been the constant in our defensive unit.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
26-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Glenn Murray must be worth a mention

Nelson Muntz
26-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Nick Carle - Around 1m spent on the basis of one good game vrs. us - pathetic scouting policy. My brother works at BC and they were already disappointed by Carle there - only played in play offs as Lee Johnson injured - they couldn't believe their luck when we came along with the bid.

Shocking player.

Jim Cannon
26-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Remember being led to believe Ithak Zohar was some player.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Damien Delaney?

On a free, initially as a short-term deal. Won us promotion, secured safety, secured it again, did it one more time and also helped to get us to the FA Cup final. Has been the constant in our defensive unit.

Yep, he was on my honourable mentions list.

GloverUK
Leif Anderson.......Why?

mroakley9
Special mentions: Florian Marange

wtf?!?!? he's a living legend of the game

EagleSE24
26-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Free transfer from arch rivals and arguably our most important player in our promotion season.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 09:51 AM

Agree - huge oversight - I didn't spend long enough thinking about it!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Trevor Aylott. Fantastic signing - picked up for peanuts and paid wages in hay

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Newly promoted PL side looking to bolster its attack to help Chris Armstrong with the load.

The answer = Andy Preece

Jim Cannon
26-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Trevor Aylott. Fantastic signing - picked up for peanuts and paid wages in hay

Kevin Miller picked up for too much, got fat, then we stopped paying him

EagleSE24
Amongst the worst, I would consider Marco Gabbiadini. I don't think he's anywhere near the worst player to pull on a Palace shirt, however the deal just seemed a mess.

You've just finished third in the league, sold perhaps your greatest ever striker, have money in the bank and you want to continue to push on and become an established side in the top half. So what do you do? You sign Marco bleedin' Gabbiadini for a club record fee.

Radders
Surprised There's no mention of Kuqi, Zohar or Mortimer.

He did mention Zohar in depatches but to some extent thats harsh. Thought he actually looked a decent player until THAT penalty incident and there was no coming back from that!

Bad:

Kebe and Zeki Fryers have gotta be up there with the worst. Ismael just didnt work and Ray Wilkins' Palace career wasnt all that either!!

Good:

Delaney and Murray on frees
Mark Bright for 75k
Dave Madden

Radders
26-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Remember being led to believe Ithak Zohar was some player.

Said it a couple of times on a couple of threads, I didnt think he actually looked bad at all in a few games. But the whole penalty incident debacle just drained him of confidence and totally lost the fans.

Jim Cannon
26-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Lee Sinnott was a shocker
Scott Flinders

Radders
26-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Amongst the worst, I would consider Marco Gabbiadini. I don't think he's anywhere near the worst player to pull on a Palace shirt, however the deal just seemed a mess.

You've just finished third in the league, sold perhaps your greatest ever striker, have money in the bank and you want to continue to push on and become an established side in the top half. So what do you do? You sign Marco bleedin' Gabbiadini for a club record fee.

Bought in to replace a player he was nothing like. But confusingly, when we bought him for that money, he wasnt pulling up any trees either!
Any currnet manager replaced a player like Wright with one like Gabbiadini would be like signing his own death warrant!

kayjay
26-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Jimmy Kebe - Believe we played around 2m and a few poor performances that was him gone.

That's 333,333 per match. :frown:

ExiledStirling
26-05-2016, 10:06 AM
In the worst list: Paul Bodin, like Ismael, a good player, just awful in a Palace shirt.
In the best list: Bobby Kellard

Jim Cannon
26-05-2016, 10:07 AM
Bought in to replace a player he was nothing like. But confusingly, when we bought him for that money, he wasnt pulling up any trees either!
Any currnet manager replaced a player like Wright with one like Gabbiadini would be like signing his own death warrant!

I remember when Alan Smith branded him incredibly average and Coppell admitted they hadn't seen him play. In retrospect, and given how Ron didn't like spending big bucks, straight after getting a club record fee you would have thought he would have required a bit of convincing to sanction the deal. Such was his trust in Sir Steve, I guess he assumed it was a good move.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
What makes the Gabbiadini signing so weird is that when you look at the stats on paper, he did alright with us.

But watching the games after Wright left - ugh, horrible. The BBS would have been at SSC's throat as the team constantly pumped the ball over Gabbiadini's head, and his fat little thighs pumped the soil like frantic sausage pistons vainly chasing after it.

Then he'd pull a goal out his arse from somewhere every now and then, because he could finish.

kayjay
Andy Johnson - We got 4m plus AJ for Morrison. A joy to watch and took us up, almost kept us up. Loads of goals and a lot of assists too. Such a huge impact on that team and so likeable too.

Brilliant business :p

EagleSE24
26-05-2016, 10:14 AM
...his fat little thighs pumped the soil like frantic sausage pistons...

Great description. Very poetic.

jaspercpfc
26-05-2016, 10:15 AM

We turned down a deal to sign Andy Cole, we were linked with Deane (weren't we always), Duncan Fergerson who was then north of the border at Dundee. Marco Goalo wasn't a bad player by any means, he just didn't fit in with our style of play. Coppell bought the player on the recommendation of others he respected. Whoever was going to Wrights replacement was always on a hiding to nothing. Anyone remember when Smith went running to the press and described Marco as "distinctly average"

CPFC.1990
26-05-2016, 10:16 AM
No set criteria, whatever you like - who are your top 10 Palace signings and who are your worst 10? I have chosen mine only including players I watched (so late 80s onwards) and based the selection on their impact (or lack of) at Palace and factored in how much they cost too - so value for money. They are in order of the transfers (I think) not in preference.

How can you say that?!

His clearance up to Dougie at Stockport actually led to the goal. Had he not played then history couldn't have taken a very different outlook.

Worth every penny just for that.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 10:19 AM
We turned down a deal to sign Andy Cole, we were linked with Deane (weren't we always), Duncan Fergerson who was then north of the border at Dundee. Marco Goalo wasn't a bad player by any means, he just didn't fit in with our style of play. Coppell bought the player on the recommendation of others he respected. Whoever was going to Wrights replacement was always on a hiding to nothing. Anyone remember when Smith went running to the press and described Marco as "distinctly average"

To be fair to Gabbiadini, it was obvious players like Bright and Gray didn't like him either, and it must have been hard to settle at the club. This on top of the team totally continue to play as if we still had the unique force of Wright upfront.

That said, I've also heard that Gabbiadini himself was a bit of a dick whilst at the club.

dowieslovechild
26-05-2016, 10:19 AM
A few forgotten names, for best signings (based on their immediate impact)

Paul Stewart
Michael Hughes

cpfc4evandeva
26-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Kebe is a good shout.

I honestly think in a few years time we will talk about Mutch as being one of the worst. When taking into account who has been a good/bad transfer, the money spent clearly needs to be taken into account. It's not Mutch's fault we paid it, but 4/5m for him was mental and if he leaves in the Summer, I'll be very surprised if we can recoup even 20% of that.

cpfc4evandeva
26-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Best transfers... Ambrose, Delaney, Jedi and Murray. All superb.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 10:21 AM
How can you say that?!

His clearance up to Dougie at Stockport actually led to the goal. Had he not played then history couldn't have taken a very different outlook.

Worth every penny just for that.

Yeah, I did consider that clever handball and massive hoof - but maybe we could have got someone better at that price?

Radders
26-05-2016, 10:22 AM
I remember when Alan Smith branded him incredibly average and Coppell admitted they hadn't seen him play. In retrospect, and given how Ron didn't like spending big bucks, straight after getting a club record fee you would have thought he would have required a bit of convincing to sanction the deal. Such was his trust in Sir Steve, I guess he assumed it was a good move.

Seem to recall he had more of a rugby than footballers build but he (from memory) seemed to play ok in his first few games. But after literally pushing Dyer out the way to take a pen then missing it, there was no leeway at all for him.

Talking of Dyer, that was another odd one. Sir Steve described him as 'like a sponge' in that he would absorb knowledge from around him and become a better player. Except years after we spent a million quid on him, he would still run headlessly off side and prove that he didnt learn niche!!
Maybe not the worst player ever and a trier for sure, but considering we spent a million on him back then (which was a hell of a lot!) he never quite produced what we hoped.

Radders
26-05-2016, 10:24 AM
This on top of the team totally continue to play as if we still had the unique force of Wright upfront.

That was the problem in a nutshell. However good or bad he was, we were still playing the Wright/Bright game.

Radders
26-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Paul Stewart

Good shout. Was excellent for us.

CPFC.1990
26-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Some poor signings;

Kuqi seemed to divide opinion. Think he was far more unsettling then he was a positive influence. Plus when he was bad he was dreadful.

Carl Fletcher came with a lot of promise but simply didn't impact.

Michele Padovano !

Neil Emblen Hilariously bad.

Tomas Brolin made us look a joke for a while.

Jamie Fullarton was a very limited footballer.

David Tuttle !

Neil Ruddock was another joke signing.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Though he turned out to be a good player elsewhere, the Clive Allen signing was a microcosm of some truly shady and shit transfer activity at the club

CPFC.1990
26-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I did consider that clever handball and massive hoof - but maybe we could have got someone better at that price?

:)

CPFC.1990
26-05-2016, 10:29 AM
One of the best signings ever was Ashley Cole from Arsenal.

DARZET EAGLE
26-05-2016, 10:29 AM

Best 10

Ian Wright - obvious choice, bargain, unknown and probably the best player we ever had.

Geoff Thomas - very low cost, terrific player, terrific leader and key cog in our best ever side.

Mark Bright - plucked from Leicester so cheaply and huge impact at club. Another key figure in our best ever team.

Nigel Martyn - The last one from that great side. Served us so well and for many, many years

David Hopkin (1st time round) - what a superb player, such quality on the ball and in front of goal - good at curling one at Wembley.

Darren Ambrose - Free transfer who supplied so many great moments and was vital in keeping us up at the time of our greatest need. Plus that goal at Old Trafford!

Mile Jedinak - Another free (I think?) Superb player, headers, tackles, a few goals, a few assists and a great leader. Key figure in promotion and keeping us up.

Yannick Bolasie - Bargain buy who has improved so much, helped us go up and arguably has been our most regular match winner in last 3 seasons

Scott Dann - exactly the right player at that time. Essential part of keeping us up for these last 3 seasons and very, very good price

Worst 10

Neil Emblem - Didn't we spend around 2m on him? Don't even understand the logic or idea with this one. Was never, ever going to be worth that.

Valerian Ismael - Record signing but a disaster - day a good player in there but his time at Palace was awful

Lee Bradbury - Think we paid close to 2m for him - complete flop although I thought he tried at least but we sold Marcus Bent for peanuts and signed him for a lot -crazy!

Ade Akinbiyi - We were desperate for a good strong striker, we didn't have much mk ey to waste and we bought a player whose confidence was already destroyed by a very expensive move. We paid around 2m?

Jon Macken - Another very expensive flop. Didn't suit us at all and barely scored any goals even in a decent Palace side.

Zeki Fryers - Desperate for a left back and we signed this guy for a significant fee, I guess big wages and he is nowhere near the team

So what would yours be?

I can't disagree with much of that. Matt Jansen was one of the very best whilst dear old Calvin Andrews was one of the worst, together with Sanogo.

Jim Cannon
26-05-2016, 10:47 AM
I can't disagree with much of that. Matt Jansen was one of the very best whilst dear old Calvin Andrews was one of the worst, together with Sanogo.

Andrew.

Think it a little harsh to include him, seeing as he was bought on the cheap as a lower league punt, and the only reason we saw so many sub appearances and the occasional start was due to the club being on it's knees at the time.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Some poor signings;

Kuqi seemed to divide opinion. Think he was far more unsettling then he was a positive influence. Plus when he was bad he was dreadful.

Carl Fletcher came with a lot of promise but simply didn't impact.

Michele Padovano !

Neil Emblen Hilariously bad.

Tomas Brolin made us look a joke for a while.

Jamie Fullarton was a very limited footballer.

David Tuttle !

Neil Ruddock was another joke signing.

Tuttle was alright

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 11:23 AM
Scenes at the Victoria Ground when Taylor scored a looping header on a freezing wet December day.
Bradbury was an average player and another of Venables dodgy signings but was reportedly a really good player to have around at the time. when the club was on it's knees. Surprised There's no mention of Kuqi, Zohar or Mortimer.

I actually liked Bradbury - but at that price as letting Bent go for nothing it was still an awful move. How many did he score for us?

Thanet Eagle
26-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Wayne Andrews. Brought by Dowie. Shockingly bad player.

Ardent Eagle Forever
26-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Paul Stewart.
Dave Madden.
Both instrumental in promotion seasons.
Attilio Lombardo sheer class.

Jordan's Jacket
26-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Neil ruddock must be top of the list as worst ever
Im not one for emotional outpouring but I despise that man
Aki is one of my faves mainly because of the man himself

Jordan's Jacket
26-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Torghelle was pretty awful

Selhurst300
26-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Have I missed Don Rogers in this thread? Great signing.

LDNEAGLE
26-05-2016, 11:58 AM
4m for Lombardo

Jim Cannon
26-05-2016, 11:58 AM
4m for Lombardo

More like 2M

aj4england
26-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Bad - Not your obvious picks but shocking nonetheless
Frazier Campbell
Akinbiyi
Scott Flinders
Kuqi
Stuart Green
Tony Craig
Jeff Hughes
Kevin Doyle
Andy Dorman

Good (in terms of money paid)
Parr (Free transfer)
Boyce
AJ
Dann
Bolasie
Jedanik
Murray

Nelson Muntz
26-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Frazier Campbell
Akinbiyi
Scott Flinders
Kuqi
Stuart Green
Tony Craig
Jeff Hughes
Kevin Doyle
Andy Dorman

Dave Martin. Another shocker.

Palace Bear
26-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Can't believe Ray Wilkins not on the worst list!

jaspercpfc
26-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Can't believe Ray Wilkins not on the worst list!

The infamous 6-1 defeat on the opening day, only thing he did of note was roll the ball back to the ref (Robbie Hart who was shocking) and got duly booked. Later got injured and never played for us again.

4m for Lombardo

I believe it was 1.7m

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Frazier Campbell
Akinbiyi
Scott Flinders
Kuqi
Stuart Green
Tony Craig
Jeff Hughes
Kevin Doyle
Andy Dorman

Good (in terms of money paid)
Parr (Free transfer)
Boyce
AJ
Dann
Bolasie
Jedanik
Murray

A bit harsh on Campbell I think? Cheap at today's prices and has played a role over last 2 years.

Also, I'm pretty sure we paid for Parr, he wasn't a free transfer. Agree with the rest.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Herman Herraidason (can't remember the spelling) was a very good find - I should have put him in for a mention at the least too.

Radders
26-05-2016, 12:07 PM
Herman Herraidason (can't remember the spelling) was a very good find - I should have put him in for a mention at the least too.

Discovered/recommended by David 'The kid' Jensen if memory serves!?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Everyone rightly talks about the Wright transfer and it was the catalyst for much future success.

But Noades and Coppell (and the scouts), on an incredibly tight shoestring of a budget, got in young, hungry players like Andy Gray, Tony Finnegan and Phil Barber. They really did turn the tide from those ageing journeymen Mullery years.

jaspercpfc
26-05-2016, 12:12 PM

I believe he was introduced to us through Kid Jensons wife. A steady player who's ungainly runs looked anything you'd expect from a pro but to consider him one of our best ever signings is ******* madness.
Eddie McGoldrick must be worth a shout. Mr Versatile who played in countless positions and served us so well, didn't we pay 80k for his services from Northampton?

cpfc4evandeva
26-05-2016, 12:15 PM
I think mentioning players like Dave Martin, who came from non-league and cost 50k is a bit ridiculous.

It's been said on here many times (and I know from someone who used to be at the club) that Kebe was on 30k p/w. If we say he was on a 2 year deal that's 3mil plus his transfer fee of 2mil, an outlay of 5mil.

Dave Martin cost 50k and was most likely on less than 1k p/w. 100k for the year he was here and I can't remember for sure, but didn't we get a small fee from Millwall for him?

My point being - yeah, he was crap for us but with the amount paid he was hardly below anyone's realistic expectations.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Discovered/recommended by David 'The kid' Jensen if memory serves!?

Is that right? He did well, good work Jensen.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:23 PM
I believe he was introduced to us through Kid Jensons wife. A steady player who's ungainly runs looked anything you'd expect from a pro but to consider him one of our best ever signings is ******* madness.
Eddie McGoldrick must be worth a shout. Mr Versatile who played in countless positions and served us so well, didn't we pay 80k for his services from Northampton?

Re. Herman, you are probably right I just think the fact he came from nowhere deserved a mention.

Eddie McG certainly a good shout - most of that end of 80s/early 90s team could be considered - Andy Thorn another.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:23 PM
I think mentioning players like Dave Martin, who came from non-league and cost 50k is a bit ridiculous.

It's been said on here many times (and I know from someone who used to be at the club) that Kebe was on 30k p/w. If we say he was on a 2 year deal that's 3mil plus his transfer fee of 2mil, an outlay of 5mil.

Dave Martin cost 50k and was most likely on less than 1k p/w. 100k for the year he was here and I can't remember for sure, but didn't we get a small fee from Millwall for him?

My point being - yeah, he was crap for us but with the amount paid he was hardly below anyone's realistic expectations.

Agree re. Microwave Dave

Radders
26-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Everyone rightly talks about the Wright transfer and it was the catalyst for much future success.

But Noades and Coppell (and the scouts), on an incredibly tight shoestring of a budget, got in young, hungry players like Andy Gray, Tony Finnegan and Phil Barber. They really did turn the tide from those ageing journeymen Mullery years.

Was a big fan of Tony Finnegan too. Good versatile player.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:29 PM

I think Finnegan left soon after I first starting going (which was only now and then at that point) and I was very young, don't even know what position he played?

Maidstoned Eagle
26-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Mentioning Padovano is ridiculous too, if he'd stayed fit that season (along with two thirds of the squad) I feel he would've been a revelation. The cameo he and Lombardo had vs Liverpool showed just what might have been, the scousers couldn't live with the pair of them until they both went off injured.

Fatboy
26-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Mullery as manager - worst signing off all time !

Wolfnipplechips
26-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Edgar David's was "interesting".

Steamy
26-05-2016, 12:33 PM
I look forward to bumping this thread in 3 years, after 0FCzSIUNxIK has led us to the Champions League

Steamy
26-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Worst signing:

After 6 matches - Julian Speroni

Best signing:

After nearly 400 matches - Julian Speroni

doogies boots
26-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Two words - Ricky Heppolette

Radders
26-05-2016, 12:36 PM

Take your point but OP has said 'no criteria' so anyone is fair game!:D

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:39 PM
Mentioning Padovano is ridiculous too, if he'd stayed fit that season (along with two thirds of the squad) I feel he would've been a revelation. The cameo he and Lombardo had vs Liverpool showed just what might have been, the scousers couldn't live with the pair of them until they both went off injured.

Who you calling ridiculous? ;)

But, seriously, he had injuries but I also remember him being poor from what I saw -
he was playing in reserves for a bit wasn't he? Just googling his name just brought up a Guardian article that has him one of the 10 worst Premier League signings of all time - so no, I don't think it's ridiculous to mention him.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Two words - Ricky Heppolette

No idea who he was - a bad one I guess?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 12:45 PM

Mainly defensive midfielder, but also full back, winger, and upfront.

Maidstoned Eagle
26-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Who you calling ridiculous? ;)

But, seriously, he had injuries but I also remember him being poor from what I saw -
he was playing in reserves for a bit wasn't he? Just googling his name just brought up a Guardian article that has him one of the 10 worst Premier League signings of all time - so no, I don't think it's ridiculous to mention him.

Oh, The Guardian.....Im amazed theyd even heard of him.

Maidstoned Eagle
26-05-2016, 12:52 PM
No idea who he was - a bad one I guess?

He was ok. Indian born, which makes him stand out.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Mainly defensive midfielder, but also full back, winger, and upfront.

I guess I should really have said 'not goalkeeper or centre back'

Radders
26-05-2016, 12:55 PM
I think Finnegan left soon after I first starting going (which was only now and then at that point) and I was very young, don't even know what position he played?

As VHA says, he moved around a bit!

Was a right back when I first watched but was often in midfield but an eye for goal meant he had a few games up top too!!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Ray Houghton was a fantastic signing for us

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Ray Houghton was a fantastic signing for us

Yep, but he and Dowie came a few months too late - if we'd started the season by signing those 2 instead of Wilkins and Preece we would have stayed up.

aj4england
26-05-2016, 01:17 PM
A bit harsh on Campbell I think? Cheap at today's prices and has played a role over last 2 years.

Also, I'm pretty sure we paid for Parr, he wasn't a free transfer. Agree with the rest.

Campbell gets mega money from the club is a complete bish. Parr we didn't pay much for.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Campbell gets mega money from the club is a complete bish. Parr we didn't pay much for.

Not saying Campbell was a good signing, but think we've had far, far worse.

RCUK
26-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Worst signing... or lack of... was letting United sign Clattenberg before we got to him.

Chris Finch
26-05-2016, 01:23 PM
From recent memory...

Bad: Kebe, Fryers, Akinbiyi, Marrange, ELLIOT GRANDIN, Kuqi, Pedroza (the future!)

Good: AJ, Delaney, Kevin Phillips, Bolasie, Jedinak, Speroni, Ambrose

Chris Finch
26-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Glenn Murray on a free from our rivals too of course!

jaspercpfc
26-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Pedroza

Little tiny feet will always be fondly remembered for this

https://twitter.com/terracelife_/status/462582335506886656

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 02:05 PM
Yep, but he and Dowie came a few months too late - if we'd started the season by signing those 2 instead of Wilkins and Preece we would have stayed up.

Houghton stayed on and destroyed Charlton in the playoffs

CPFC.1990
26-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Emmerson Boyce was an awesome signing.

Ruskin Old Boy
26-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Some of the best: Peter Simpson, Cliff Holton, Aki Riihilahti, Andy Johnson. Damien Delaney

Jordan's Jacket
26-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Damian Matthew wasn't great

CharlieCPFC
26-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Little tiny feet will always be fondly remembered for this

https://twitter.com/terracelife_/status/462582335506886656

That is class :D

Skintagain
26-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Damien Delaney?

Prolly best signing ever, we had no defence before he came. Changed things immediately. Even he said we was going to retire as couldn't get into the Ipswich side, now he's a solid as a rock in the premier.

Lots of other good signings from Nigel Martyn (I always used to say that I know its a record for a GK but we should send Brizzle more money). Ian Wright. Goeff ect Kellard Rogers.....

SJ'sLoveMonkey
26-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Glenn Pennyfather wasn't great

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Kevin Mabbutt!

davech
26-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Most of mine have probably already been mentioned (some are pre-90's)

Good : John McCormick, Don Rogers, Paul Stewart, Damien Delaney, Eric Young, Dougie Freedman

For the bad, I'm going to exempt most of the players from the early/mid eighties; we cut our cloth accordingly then and bought what could afford and who would play for the money available. So,

Bad: Neil Ruddock, Neil Emblen, Valerien Ismael, Zeki "Who" Fryers, Kevin "Fatboy Traitor" Miller, Ade "5+5" Akinbiyi.

Worksop Palace
26-05-2016, 07:37 PM

Best 10

Worst 10

So what would yours be?

How could you possibly miss Lombardo !???!!

Harry Bassett
26-05-2016, 07:55 PM
We have made some iffy signings over the years.....Ketteridge--Galliers -Kevan (was awful " In deference to our late BBSer ).....Ian Lawson-The Dario Gradi wrecking crew Messrs Langley- Bason- Price anyone remember Chris Jones, I think I will stop there because no point will be gained by making myself ill.

Am Phibian
26-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Anyone mentioned Mike Flopagan yet? Spent a record-transfer fortune on him and the only thing that got close to the goal was his perm at kick-off. He was supposed to help take The Team of the Eighties onto the next level. Helped do the opposite.

Hampshire Hog
26-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Tuttle was alright

Or was it buttle

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
26-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Bruce Dyer. He was meant to be the best teenager in the country. Huge disappointment as he promised so much.

wawman_15
26-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Jose campana is one that I had such high hopes for and turned out awful

Maiden Eagle
26-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Bruce Dyer. He was meant to be the best teenager in the country. Huge disappointment as he promised so much.

I didn't think he was that bad - 37 goals in 135 games apparently. There were a couple of outlandish statements from Alan Smith, when we first signed him but when I first saw him, I thought then he wasn't all that, so he didn't set the bar very high for me.

So, I thought overall he did OK for us. Admittedly he did get caught offside a lot !

Worksop Palace
26-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Glenn Pennyfather wasn't great

He was when he smashed one in from 40 yards v Leics in the famous 4-4

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 08:49 PM
How could you possibly miss Lombardo !???!!

Because he was good but he didn't really achieve anything for us or take the club forward. It wasn't his fault at all but we went down with him and then floundered before he was sold - I went for players who have been the most successful at Palace or had the most positive impact on the club.

As I said in the OP, I was interested in other's bests or worse on whatever criteria they wish

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
26-05-2016, 08:50 PM

Good candidate - certainly in terms of disappointment after so much hope

gold76
26-05-2016, 08:58 PM
In terms of for value in my time these 10 spring to mind..

Henry Hughton
Phil Barber
Kevin Ticker Taylor
Micky Droy
Mark Bright
John Pemberton
Geoff Thomas
Chris Coleman
Matt Jansen
Andrew Johnson

cpfc4evandeva
26-05-2016, 09:08 PM
I thought Jeff Hughes, Scott Flinders, Tony Craig and Stuart Green were all woeful. All were brought in by the even more woeful Peter Taylor.

Yogya
26-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Best: Don Rogers. So many good moments that got me hooked when I was a kid
Best: Rashid Harkouk... Ditto above

CPFC.1990
26-05-2016, 09:17 PM
I thought Jeff Hughes, Scott Flinders, Tony Craig and Stuart Green were all woeful. All were brought in by the even more woeful Peter Taylor.

To be fair though they all had good reports from the lower divisions and at the time we were all excited to be buying these players with potential. Yes, they turned out to be rubbish but I don't think you can fault Taylor for trying to manage the club in that way because that's what football is all about, discovering a little gem from the lower leagues and seeing them develop into a diamond.

If it had have worked then great but I think it shows why a lot of clubs ignore the lower league and look abroad for the finished article.

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 09:17 PM
There's only one Rudi Hedman....

....thank f*ck!

Oli28
26-05-2016, 09:19 PM
We've had plenty of poor players join the club but Marange was just shambolic. Signed for us and then failed to make the 25 man squad a couple of days later. No appearances.

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 09:33 PM
I was a bit too young to remember but according to my big bruv, Per Bartram weren't much to get worked up about.

davech
26-05-2016, 09:44 PM
I was a bit too young to remember but according to my big bruv, Per Bartram weren't much to get worked up about.

Arrived along with Borge Thorup from Greenock Morton on one of Bert Head's many shopping sorties north of the border. A very mixed bag there, almost worthy of its own thread. Those two fall in the "poor" category

New LP
26-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Best: Ian Wright
Worst: Itsak Zohar

We lost the cup final though so back to mourning

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Arrived along with Borge Thorup from Greenock Morton on one of Bert Head's many shopping sorties north of the border. A very mixed bag there, almost worthy of its own thread. Those two fall in the "poor" category

Greenock Morton eh? Whatever happened to them?

My brother would no doubt remember Thorup too.

Give the great Bert Head his due, our first ever manager to get us in the top flight.

Seems like a million years ago now that I was shoved up the front of the New Stand with the other kids to bang on the advertising hoardings to Glad All Over.
I'm 52 on Saturday. Although I look 43.
42 and a half on a good day, mind.
Where the f*ck does the time go?

Lords Eagle
26-05-2016, 10:03 PM

Err they're still going in the Scottish championship

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 10:05 PM
Err they're still going in the Scottish championship

Good for them!

dan27
26-05-2016, 10:14 PM
If we include Marange then sadly we have to include Jack Hunt as well who signed for about 2million and never played a match. I know he was injured the whole time and I personally think he is a cracking player but he cost us much more than Marange did and to the same effect.

Mictor Voses
26-05-2016, 10:18 PM
Best was Ian Wright. Worst has to be Valerian Ismael although my Dad tells me stories about Mick Hill.....

DARZET EAGLE
26-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Some of the best: Peter Simpson, Cliff Holton, Aki Riihilahti, Andy Johnson. Damien Delaney

I'm on your wavelength mate. John McCormack was a bargain from Scotland and a terrific centre half.

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Best was Ian Wright. Worst has to be Valerian Ismael although my Dad tells me stories about Mick Hill.....

Talking of Micks, a real good signing for us was Mickey Droy.

DARZET EAGLE
26-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Best: Don Rogers. So many good moments that got me hooked when I was a kid
Best: Rashid Harkouk... Ditto above

...and your worst? (good choices for best by the way).

Skintagain

Give the great Bert Head his due, our first ever manager to get us in the top flight.

Seems like a million years ago now that I was shoved up the front of the New Stand with the other kids to bang on the advertising hoardings to Glad All Over.

Give us a price on that mirror.

Supa Pard
I always thought he was a donkey until he played for us.

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Give us a price on that mirror.

:D

maestro
26-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Ismael went on to be a top defender

If Palace cant get the best of players I dont think that makes them bad signings imo.

Neil Emblem wasnt a bad player, im surprised he is on a alot of lists.

You never see his name mentioned but I thought Andy Linighan was a great signing, proper defender who help lead the team to promotion

davech
26-05-2016, 10:30 PM

Not decrying Bert one bit. One of the most influential managers in the last 50 years. He had a generally excellent eye for a good player. He was also the decisive factor in the great Don Rogers agreeing to sign. He brought us some good players from Scotland as well, namely:

John McCormick
Gerry Queen
John Loughlan
Tony Taylor
Roger Hynd.

And it should be someone's mission to get the kids banging on the advertising hoardings and the oldies in the Main Stand stamping their feet again!

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Not decrying Bert one bit. One of the most influential managers in the last 50 years. He had a generally excellent eye for a good player. He was also the decisive factor in the great Don Rogers agreeing to sign. He brought us some good players from Scotland as well, namely:

John McCormick
Gerry Queen
John Loughlan
Tony Taylor
Roger Hynd.

And it should be someone's mission to get the kids banging on the advertising hoardings and the oldies in the Main Stand stamping their feet again!

Who brought in John Hughes?
Was that Head too?

Jordan555x
26-05-2016, 10:36 PM

Good shout, probably the best one on here in terms of hope. In recent years that is. Had a few decent games then it just didnt work out due to reluctance of tackling. Thought he'd be our Xavi.

davech
26-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Who brought in John Hughes?
Was that Head too?

Yes.

And Willie Wallace too.

Supa Pard
26-05-2016, 10:41 PM
Yes.

And Willie Wallace too.

Just about remember Wallace but all over John Hughes.
I can still picture him in my minds eye.
Probably cos his nickname was Yogi and I loved Hanna Barberra cartoons at the time.
;)

HurstpierPalace
26-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Frazer Campbell will surely be remembered as a shocking player for us? A trier but seemingly has no idea and is one of those players who you know will lose the ball when he has it.

I'll also always remember Vasillis Lakis for missing that sitter against Arsenal and not much else.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Kevin 'Ticker' Taylor - a real favourite at the time (a small fee from a Derby I think) but very rarely mentioned these days. Then again, there weren't many people watching in those days!

Another player who helped us 'turn the tide' just before the good times started to roll.

Typical Palace
26-05-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes VHA never forget Ticker Taylor.

Got the impression he was happier up north.

Very good little player to move us away from the dark days of Steve Ketteridge and Gary Stebbing. He was an important part of the incremental improvement.

Typical Palace
26-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Ismael went on to be a top defender

If Palace cant get the best of players I dont think that makes them bad signings imo.

Neil Emblem wasnt a bad player, im surprised he is on a alot of lists.

You never see his name mentioned but I thought Andy Linighan was a great signing, proper defender who help lead the team to promotion

Neil Emblen was quite a bad player. For 2m he was an absolutely dreadful player. To my mind only Zeki Fryers comes in at worse VFM.

Yes not his fault that he cost 2m, but wild, ludicrous, gesture Golberk signings like this, favourite Tonbridge Angels sons, were a big part of the reason we went in to Admin in 1999

Vince Hilaire's Afro
26-05-2016, 11:16 PM
Paul Mortimer. Oh god.

PhuketEagle
27-05-2016, 06:26 AM
So many great players from Sansom to Hilaire, Lombardo to Cannon, Taylor to Wright, Hinshelwood to Rogers, Zaha to Freedman. Where do you start?
As for the worst, the same....where do you start & why would you want to?!

Ardent Eagle Forever
27-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Kevin Mabbutt!

This:lux::lux::lux:

Ardent Eagle Forever
27-05-2016, 06:48 AM
I always thought he was a donkey until he played for us.

Talking of which, I can't believe that no one has mentioned Trevor Aylott or Tommy Langley.

nickchev
27-05-2016, 06:49 AM
Worst player - Craig Harrison. Shocking full back. One of the best was that centre back Craig Moore. Only there a season but absolute class.

Shipp Ahoy!
27-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Best has to include:

AJ - Not sure that can get any better, a freebie in a swap deal. Gettting Clinton back a couple of years later, a couple of millon with of course AJ firing us to the Prem and being sold on for about 10million :p

Murray similar in terms of impact and the fact we stole hom from Brightoons.

Worst:

Akinbiyi... jesus christ what a waste that was! Had been terrible for ages before, massive fee and wages (at the time) and we wouldn't have been able to give him away in the end!

davech
27-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Anyone mentioned Mike Flopagan yet? Spent a record-transfer fortune on him and the only thing that got close to the goal was his perm at kick-off. He was supposed to help take The Team of the Eighties onto the next level. Helped do the opposite.

Arrrrggghhh!

The deadly duo of Flanagan and Allen.

We really didn't help ourselves sometimes :D

cpfc4evandeva
27-05-2016, 07:11 AM
To be fair though they all had good reports from the lower divisions and at the time we were all excited to be buying these players with potential. Yes, they turned out to be rubbish but I don't think you can fault Taylor for trying to manage the club in that way because that's what football is all about, discovering a little gem from the lower leagues and seeing them develop into a diamond.

If it had have worked then great but I think it shows why a lot of clubs ignore the lower league and look abroad for the finished article.

:D Rubbish!

Jeff Hughes you are probably right on but...

Flinders was Barnsley's (not very good) reserve keeper. Woeful and not a surprise that he is now out of the Football League despite not even turning 30 yet.

Tony Craig was Millwall's utterly shit left back. Utter, utter shit. So far out of his depth we wanted the equally inept Borrowdale to come back.

And then you have Stuart Green. Complete proof that even in a industry such as football where your performance levels are clear for all to see, it's not what you know, but who you know. Or in Green's case, who you are shagging. After leaving us, he played a further 23 games in the Football League before disappearing.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Taylor had a big hand in helping us towards administration. Even some of his slightly better signings turned out a bit shit - both Fletcher and Kennedy for example were two completely unfit blokes looking for a last decent contract. The money spent under Taylor's tenure was an awful waste.

cpfc4evandeva
27-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Would anyone here actually recognise Zeki Fryers if they walked past him in the street? I wouldn't. In my head, he looks a bit like Mark Duggan. Am I close?

aj4england
27-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Bad: Gareth Donkey Taylor

Good: Surely Joel Ward has to be one of our best signings. First palace to make 100 premier league appearances I believe?

jaspercpfc
27-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Would anyone here actually recognise Zeki Fryers if they walked past him in the street? I wouldn't. In my head, he looks a bit like Mark Duggan. Am I close?

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46558&stc=1&d=1464335371

dowieslovechild
27-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Bad: Gareth Donkey Taylor

Good: Surely Joel Ward has to be one of our best signings. First palace to make 100 premier league appearances I believe?

We've never previously stayed in it, long enough for anybody else to rack up that number of appearances.

Has anybody mentioned Julian Speroni yet?

Circa. 0.5m, over a decade of service, multiple POTY awards, soon to be the most capped Palace keeper of all time. No disrespect to you, but that trumps Ward's achievement of staying fit long enough to clock up that number of appearances and at times, some of his performances (not all) have been riddled with errors, costing us goals and points.

cpfc4evandeva
27-05-2016, 08:33 AM
So I was a fair bit off :D

917L
27-05-2016, 09:18 AM
I would equate Emblen to Jordon Mutch, not Zeki Fryers, a at least Emblen and Mutch actually play for the 1st team

Fryers is a very odd one, a lot of money for apparently nothing

Pub Idol
27-05-2016, 09:25 AM
I would equate Emblen to Jordon Mutch, not Zeki Fryers, a at least Emblen and Mutch actually play for the 1st team

Fryers is a very odd one, a lot of money for apparently nothing

Yeah Emblen was very similar to Jordon Mutch actually.

Radders
27-05-2016, 09:36 AM
He was when he smashed one in from 40 yards v Leics in the famous 4-4

Not sure it was 40 yards! McAlisters equaliser was from about 50 though!:D

Vince Hilaire's Afro
27-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Talking of which, I can't believe that no one has mentioned Trevor Aylott or Tommy Langley.

I always mention Trevor Aylott, even when it's nothing to do with him

EagleSE24
27-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Marc Edworthy was a cracking signing at 350k. Although in 1995 that was far more than it is today.

Boyce on a free was brilliant value.

We've had a good record with right-backs, even if they weren't always the most talented players. Pemberton, Humphrey, Boyce, Smith, Edworthy, Butterfield, Clyne, Ward...

StevePlus
27-05-2016, 10:07 AM
Marc Edworthy was a cracking signing at 350k. Although in 1995 that was far more than it is today.

Hopkin, Edworthy and Freedman in 1995 to make up for the loss of half the team were all pretty good signings. A bit offset by Gareth Taylor I suppose. Although Dougie thought that he and Taylor played well together.

cpfc4evandeva
27-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Boyce was a super signing on a free. I think most of us had never heard of him, and coming off the season Butterfield had, that he would just be back up. One of the best one on one defenders the club has ever had.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
27-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Hopkin, Edworthy and Freedman in 1995 to make up for the loss of half the team were all pretty good signings. A bit offset by Gareth Taylor I suppose. Although Dougie thought that he and Taylor played well together.

True, however it was the acquisition of Carl Veart - goal machine - that truly took that team to the status of playoff contenders

Vince Hilaire's Afro
27-05-2016, 10:52 AM
That ginger centre half came from nowhere and had some good games

Typical Palace
27-05-2016, 04:31 PM
:D Rubbish!

Jeff Hughes you are probably right on but...

Flinders was Barnsley's (not very good) reserve keeper. Woeful and not a surprise that he is now out of the Football League despite not even turning 30 yet.

Tony Craig was Millwall's utterly shit left back. Utter, utter shit. So far out of his depth we wanted the equally inept Borrowdale to come back.

And then you have Stuart Green. Complete proof that even in a industry such as football where your performance levels are clear for all to see, it's not what you know, but who you know. Or in Green's case, who you are shagging. After leaving us, he played a further 23 games in the Football League before disappearing.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Taylor had a big hand in helping us towards administration. Even some of his slightly better signings turned out a bit shit - both Fletcher and Kennedy for example were two completely unfit blokes looking for a last decent contract. The money spent under Taylor's tenure was an awful waste.
Totally agree.

Pound for pound by far the worst sequence of transfers Palace have ever made. At the time SJ was still backing his managers and big money was spent.

I still struggle to comprehend 500,000 for Flinders. Staggeringly inept managership.

Can anyone point to a single Taylor signing that succeeded? Ifill was okay at times but a dreadful return on 750K. Fletcher has to have been the least inspiring captain in the history of the world. Was Scowcroft one of Taylor's? I couldn't stand him; not only was he shit but he took objection to the phrase 'always play with a smile on your face' and played as if it was utter purgatory being a footballer for CPFC.

If it was walking football Mark Kennedy would've been a star; he had a sweet left foot and could place the ball on Leon Cort's head with unerring accuracy. It was just the other aspects of the game he struggled with: the running, the tackling, the work rate.

Looking back it was like a bunch of Waller rejects. Tony Craig belongs to that school of Wall players who hate playing at Palace and are either deliberately shit, or actually shit (see Roberts, A.). When he went back to Millwall after a spell at the Bees he was one of their start performers, a defensive organiser who kept them in the Championship.

I'm not convinced Stuart Green was actually a real footballer. Yet you'll find some Palace fans who rated him because he scored a goal or two. It was like watching SJ or Neil Ashton in a testimonial. Normal blokes on a football pitch amongst pros.

Typical Palace
27-05-2016, 04:32 PM
That ginger centre half came from nowhere and had some good games
Gareth Davies? Bit of a psychopath?

Typical Palace
27-05-2016, 04:36 PM

We've had a good record with right-backs, even if they weren't always the most talented players. Pemberton, Humphrey, Boyce, Smith, Edworthy, Butterfield, Clyne, Ward...
I've got a bit of a barely rational dislike of Edworthy.

I didn't think he was a very good player but something about him round me up. Was it his name's spelling? 'Marc'. Was it his sub-Ryder bangs, conspicuously out of date? Was it the fact that those who rated him only seemed to enjoy his attacking runs and didn't mind the fact he was dreadful defensively? Did he ever stop a cross coming over? Was it his west country roots, failing to live up to the King of Cornishmen?

Typical Palace
27-05-2016, 04:39 PM
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46558&stc=1&d=1464335371

That pic of Mark Duggan is the one they all use, as he looks like an aggressive gangster in it. Yet when the picture's not cropped it shows him grieving at the graveside of his dead daughter holding flowers I think. Gotta love the press.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
27-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Gareth Davies? Bit of a psychopath?

Yes.

Supa Pard
27-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Worst signings in my memory lifetime will always be Aylott, Bason, Langley, Giles.....we could be here all week.

Maiden Eagle
27-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Worst signings in my memory lifetime will always be Aylott, Bason, Langley, Giles.....we could be here all week.

I didn't think Giles was too bad but perhaps you could replace him with David Price..........or Andy McCulloch..........or John Lacy..........or Steve Galliers (All fecking terrible and there were plenty more in that grim early 80's period)

Supa Pard
27-05-2016, 07:56 PM
I didn't think Giles was too bad but perhaps you could replace him with David Price..........or Andy McCulloch..........or John Lacy..........or Steve Galliers (All fecking terrible and there were plenty more in that grim early 80's period)

He looked good when he played for Swansea.
Then we bought him.

Typical Palace
27-05-2016, 08:52 PM
He looked good when he played for Swansea.
Then we bought him.

Yes, but then Alex Dyer looked great for Hull.

Supa Pard
27-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Yes, but then Alex Dyer looked great for Hull.

But I was at the game at The Vetchfield in 80? when I was a youngster for an FA cup tie and he really did look the part.
The swans fans around us were singing his praises saying he was the Welsh Kevin Keegan.

But without that motorway lay-by baggage.
A-hem.

Good Shipp
27-05-2016, 09:27 PM
The best in my time was AJ by far.
The worst for me was Kuqi in that I naively thought when we signed him he would fire us to promotion. How wrong I was.

Ruskin Old Boy
28-05-2016, 05:22 AM
I'm on your wavelength mate. John McCormack was a bargain from Scotland and a terrific centre half.

Indeed he was. Another great Scottish signing from that time was Tony Taylor.

And then there was Don Rogers.

Bert Head signed some great players.

cpfc4evandeva
28-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Totally agree.

Pound for pound by far the worst sequence of transfers Palace have ever made. At the time SJ was still backing his managers and big money was spent.

I still struggle to comprehend 500,000 for Flinders. Staggeringly inept managership.

Can anyone point to a single Taylor signing that succeeded? Ifill was okay at times but a dreadful return on 750K. Fletcher has to have been the least inspiring captain in the history of the world. Was Scowcroft one of Taylor's? I couldn't stand him; not only was he shit but he took objection to the phrase 'always play with a smile on your face' and played as if it was utter purgatory being a footballer for CPFC.

If it was walking football Mark Kennedy would've been a star; he had a sweet left foot and could place the ball on Leon Cort's head with unerring accuracy. It was just the other aspects of the game he struggled with: the running, the tackling, the work rate.

Looking back it was like a bunch of Waller rejects. Tony Craig belongs to that school of Wall players who hate playing at Palace and are either deliberately shit, or actually shit (see Roberts, A.). When he went back to Millwall after a spell at the Bees he was one of their start performers, a defensive organiser who kept them in the Championship.

I'm not convinced Stuart Green was actually a real footballer. Yet you'll find some Palace fans who rated him because he scored a goal or two. It was like watching SJ or Neil Ashton in a testimonial. Normal blokes on a football pitch amongst pros.

Another ex-Waller who despite having zero ability and being a Taylor signing, turned out alright in the end... Matt Lawrence.

Apart from him, every Taylor signing either turned out to be terrible or average at best.